• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Like every month RPCS3 team released progress report. This month is kinda bit lighter but with some nice info. Major things from report are;
  • Trophy Support
  • Fixed clear commands for depth only passes
  • Page Fault Implementation
  • SPU Accuracy Improvements
Trophy Implementation

Thanks to flash-fire, RPCS3 now has support for trophies! Users will receive a notification whenever a trophy has been unlocked, and they can even track trophy progression and information in the new Trophy Manager window. This should bring more of a social aspect to the emulator and maybe even some competition between users.

trophy0.jpg

trophy1.jpg

This is very much a Work In Progress: there will be design and functionality improvements in the coming months.

Fixed clear commands for depth only passes

By fixing this, kd-11 removed the need for the Invalidate Cache Every Frame option which was a workaround used to fix graphics (mostly shadows) in certain games. This option was a workaround on missing buffer invalidate commands on rsx. There were instances where it was obvious a depth buffer should have been reset but the contents were still present long after the frame was completed. A workaround was needed to circumvent this issue while we investigated why the buffer contents were not cleared.

Jarves found a check that discarded clear commands when the framebuffer was determined to be in a disabled state, and discovered that disabling it sent the missing clear command down the pipeline correctly. After reworking the framebuffer check to accept empty framebuffer descriptors as long as a depth surface was active, the option was no longer needed. The rsx now correctly clears buffer contents when required and the workaround is no longer necessary.

That means users no longer need to figure out if their game(s) need this option enabled as the setting has been removed from the GPU tab, making it easier to configure RPCS3! This also fixed an issue with Ni No Kuni where shadows would sometimes follow the camera around.

Page Fault Implementation

After flash-fire's Page Fault Implementation changes were merged, many Unity games progressed further or even became fully playable! More notably however, all Gran Turismo games progressed from nothing to loadable! Future progress is cautiously optimistic as overall emulation is improved. GT utilizes tons of threads (>40), resulting in many race conditions currently.

SPU Accuracy Improvements

Jarveson improved the accuracy of the SPU Decoders which resulted in some rather notable improvements to RPCS3. This fixed an issue with LittleBigPlanet Karting and made quite a few games progress further or even go ingame for the first time! More details below. It's hard to say how many games got improved from this change, but as testers continue their efforts of keeping the compatibility list up to date they will undoubtedly make more discoveries.

Also Gamepad ReMap is coming and last but not least they teased Infamous with this picture

secret.jpg

https://rpcs3.net/blog/2017/11/03/progress-report-october-2017/

P.S. I couldn't find any word about emulation talking on Reset so if it is against the rules delete it.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Really cool to see the fantastic progress this has made. I can't wait for when compatibility gets to the point where pretty much everything can be emulated. I need my R&C Future Trilogy at 4k60.

There have been emulation threads already so you're good.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
What sort of CPU is ideal for this? High performance per Core or is multi core well implemented? What about GPU wise?

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
I knew I've been missing something on this forum lol
The more RPCS3 news the better.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I remember years ago when I kept saying that a PS3 emulator would be a long time away from being a reality and here we are now.

I wonder if the more "coded to the metal" type of games, like Naughty Dog or Guerrilla games will be among the last ones to become fully playable.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Incredible work, I can't wait to play Resonance of Fate again considering I can't even play it on a working PS3 anymore.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What sort of CPU is ideal for this? High performance per Core or is multi core well implemented? What about GPU wise?
Many (6 or 8) cores are handled well by the emulator. I *think* GPU is much less important, unless you're going the use the new rendering options for high resolutions.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Just to ask, is it true that the latest rpcs builds on the main site have Vulkan support? Cause someone told me if your gpu doesn't support it or your nvidia drivers are out of date(assuming you even have them) then the option won't appear at all.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
As someone with a very limited knowledge of emulation I'm wondering, do games already running almost flawlessly but still too slow have a chance in the future of being emulated faster or is this purely a matter of hardware needing to catch up with what this emulator is gonna require?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just to ask, is it true that the latest rpcs builds on the main site have Vulkan support? Cause someone told me if your gpu doesn't support it or your nvidia drivers are out of date(assuming you even have them) then the option won't appear at all.
Yes, latest builds use Vulkan. Great performance when increasing resolution using it, as well.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with a very limited knowledge of emulation I'm wondering, do games already running almost flawlessly but still too slow have a chance in the future of being emulated faster or is this purely a matter of hardware needing to catch up with what this emulator is gonna require?
I think there's still room for improvement with RPCS. I mean,hell,some of the games couldn't even be started couple months ago. But I think you'd still need a decently powerful pc to run them properly.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a good idea for news and LTTP threads for example, but IMO a hangout thread should be maintained. If I get someone to post a thread, I can't keep track of current events as the poster would need to update it every single time. I'll just leave it to someone else (or in the off-chance there is no thread in almost 2 months from now, I'll post it myself).
Is there interest in an RPCS3 OT? If so I could create one, also created a Cemu one yesterday.
Yes please. Looking forward to the discussion there.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
That's a good idea for news and LTTP threads for example, but IMO a hangout thread should be maintained. If I get someone to post a thread, I can't keep track of current events as the poster would need to update it every single time. I'll just leave it to someone else (or in the off-chance there is no thread in almost 2 months from now, I'll post it myself).

Yes please. Looking forward to the discussion there.

How about now ;)

https://www.resetera.com/threads/rpcs3-ot-playstation-3-evolved.3819/

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
If only my PC could run this emulator. I have been replaying Demons Souls and...it's challenging for all the wrong reasons. Constant stuttering and audio glitches everywhere. Don't remember it working so bad back in 09.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great OP, but dammit my dude you got me super excited with the link, I was wondering when will online support be implemented in RPCS3 hahaha.

Dunno if it's ever possible, but Dolphin did it, so who knows. Playing Demon's Souls, RDR, MGO2 online at 4k60fps is going to be glorious.
MGO2 is definitely the one title that will happen in the future since it doesn't rely on PSN at all.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Great OP, but dammit my dude you got me super excited with the link, I was wondering when will online support be implemented in RPCS3 hahaha.

Dunno if it's ever possible, but Dolphin did it, so who knows. Playing Demon's Souls, RDR, MGO2 online at 4k60fps is going to be glorious.

Oh sorry about that, I was misreading that, but thanks :)

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Far Cry Classic runs quite well. I feel that game is a bit underrated because while it isn't quite as grand as the PC version, it's better balanced. They massively nerfed the trigen, for example.