• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
NovumVeritas

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Ah I see, thanks for the link, that's a pretty thorough explanation - and a lot of work.
Whenever I have the time I'll cfw my "spare" PS3 and try the dumping method. Though I read I could also use backups to extract the games from? That seems a little less work, I might can do this soon. :)

You're welcome, glad I could help.
You mean the .pkg? Yeah you can, you can use an ISO or the typical PS3 game folder to launch a game, that is yours to decide :)

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By backup I meant this

It is also possible to dump digital content and licenses on any PS3 even without custom firmware, by the way of creating a system backup, and then extracting it with ps3xtract software.

So I wouldn't need anything else from my PS3 as long I use a system backup, correct?

(plus fw obviously)

nded

Nov 14, 2017
So I purchased a supported Blu-ray drive and have been trying to dump my copy of Demons' Souls for the past hour. Following the quickstart guide on the RPCS3 website I get as far as the following step where I'm stuck.
6. Using 3k3y IsoTools press Decrypt button and select the .iso with patched-in decryption keys. This will produce decrypted .dec.iso file.
If IsoTools complains about "Not valid PS3 ISO file" or missing decryption keys, please repeat from step 2 using another tool to dump original .iso image.
When I start this program there is nowhere that says 'Decrypt' and I have no idea what I'm even supposed to do with this thing. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Figured it out. IsoTools does not like it when your .iso files have any capital letters.

Last edited:

Elaugaufein

Oct 25, 2017
So I read an article saying this plays Disgaea D2 now. So I dumped my already installed PSN version from my PS3 (including updates and DLC).

I have the game , the rif and the act.dat and can get the idps. Unfortunately the quickstart doesn't say where to go from here. Any help ?

Elaugaufein

Oct 25, 2017
Well I've managed to work my way through this, as far as I can tell, RPCS3 doesn't yet support IDPS/Act.dat/RIF decryption directly. Instead you need to get a program called RifConv and use that to generate the Raps from those files. Do not use Rif2Rap / r2r I discovered that it generates invalid RAPs from some RIFs (which lead to a "fun" several hours of trying to find a flaw in RPCS3s decryption algorithm which didn't exist and then backtracing through the rif to rap process trying to work out what was going on).

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Well I've managed to work my way through this, as far as I can tell, RPCS3 doesn't yet support IDPS/Act.dat/RIF decryption directly. Instead you need to get a program called RifConv and use that to generate the Raps from those files. Do not use Rif2Rap / r2r I discovered that it generates invalid RAPs from some RIFs (which lead to a "fun" several hours of trying to find a flaw in RPCS3s decryption algorithm which didn't exist and then backtracing through the rif to rap process trying to work out what was going on).

You had some fun then?

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
What version is this? I though it was fully playable in the previous version already.

It was but some of the latest builds made UE3 games a lot faster and fixed some of the remaining graphical bugs, game runs pretty much perfect now you don't even need a very good cpu my stock Haswell I5 runs it full speed.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
Pretty good BSOD did a video about it yesterday:

Thanks for the link! Iirc my 4690k is at 4.3GHz, so it should run pretty well. I'll look into it later.
EDIT: It's working pretty great, especially after applying a fix for the audio stutter. There are the usual dips when you get to a new area and crowded places (like the station and the school) get to 15-20fps (it was a bit higher before that fix, but it's worth it imho). The dungeon part (the beginning at least) was pretty smooth, as was the combat.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
really impressive, it would be really hard if not impossible for it to go smoother on a PS4, but it's awesome for the sake of emulation.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a good way to see recommended settings and stuff for specific games yet?

I've been looking through a "playable" list but then clicking on the games it turns out they're more like "barely playable" and only with specific settings. There doesn't seem to be an easily comprehensible overview anywhere?

Might just be me being too stupid finding what I'm looking for, on the other hand it takes me about 5 seconds to find good, workable settings for pretty much every PS2 game on PCSX2 emulator.

This is all way too complicated and yeah especially any tutorials I find "use the tool" but they don't tell you which and how to get it, ughh.

I really hope they get out of alpha soon...

Edit: joined the discord, seems cool enough. I still think it'll be difficult to find good settings for games.

Last edited:

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good way to see recommended settings and stuff for specific games yet?

I've been looking through a "playable" list but then clicking on the games it turns out they're more like "barely playable" and only with specific settings. There doesn't seem to be an easily comprehensible overview anywhere?

It looks like the new Wiki game pages are going to be where configs and recommended settings are going to be? There's not many listed yet (no Skate 3, for instance), but they all seem to have this section in them:

Configuration
Only options that deviate from the default configuration to ensure best performance is listed below. The full list of default options is available here.

So I think that, plus asking on the Discord is your best bet right now.

Deleted member 11517

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks like the new Wiki game pages are going to be where configs and recommended settings are going to be? There's not many listed yet (no Skate 3, for instance), but they all seem to have this section in them:

So I think that, plus asking on the Discord is your best bet right now.
Yeah it seems so. Thanks.

I've also found BSOD gaming on youtube which is pretty cool and not as obnoxious as a lot of other channels.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just spent all night dumping my NieR disk. It hangs a lot and there are audio glitches but I'm extremely happy with it otherwise. What are the recommended settings? (720p30fps is my goal)

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Any remaining bugs?

Edit:
Oh.
Might be something off with my config or my specs might be insufficient. GTX 1050 Ti, i5-7500HQ, 8GB RAM. I think it hangs when it's compiling shaders. Sound de-syncs when the game runs too fast. The only non-performance-related bug I'm seeing is that the sunlight is flickering in the overworld.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Any remaining bugs?

Edit:
Oh.

Some slight flickering lightning that's it. I can't confirm what Funyarinpa said, either it's his Hardware or he was using an outdated build the newest build runs the game pretty much perfectly for me, no crashes 2 hours in.
It is recommended to lock the fps to 30 though to avoid issues i don't think the PS3 version was ever above that and more often below.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
After some more mucking about in the settings, I think about the only complaint I have left is the flickering. The game sometimes stops to compile shaders but again, that might be on my hardware, and in the last hour or so of gameplay that in itself has been exceedingly rare.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my dear lord we are getting close to Killzone 2 and 3 fully playable in 4K resolution

There is a God
Killzone 2 is still my favorite first person shooter multiplayer experience since Delta Force 2.

Sure, it may have been the liberal use of aim assist that made it so, but I had a blast in the multiplayer.

zetsubou

Oct 25, 2017
United States
anyone know an optimal build to use for persona 5?

also when running Persona 4 arena, its hangs at a black screen after the intro. any fixes?

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I was curious about how the emulator handles Spider-Man 3, and by god it's the greatest thing I've ever seen

It manages to get better/worse as it goes on

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Related progress video.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 looks so clean.
tekkenwls9a.png

Edit: TTT2 runs at 40-55FPS on my laptop, which I find to be super impressive. If only my CPU wasn't TDP-limited to 3GHz.

Last edited:

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be running great! But the shader compile really ruins things, why does it need to be like that?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
This seems to be running great! But the shader compile really ruins things, why does it need to be like that?
Because on consoles those shaders are precompiled as they know exactly what the underlying hardware is. One cannot do that for PC, because there are many different graphics cards, even within the same architecture sometimes you want to optimize for different models and GPU sizes.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have experience with importing savefiles from a CFW'd PS3 to RPCS3?
I'm trying to import my Tekken Tag Tournament 2 save which has all the characters and stages unlocked. I've copied the save folder (BLUS31002_AUTO) to my PC, tried decrypting it with Bruteforce Save Data, and then copied the decrypted save to rpcs3's corresponding savedata folder.
However, when I load TTT2 in RPCS3, the game says the save data is corrupted and prompts to make a new savefile.