• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't usually put a lot of weight in the value of GOTY awards, but I always find the RPG Codex results interesting. Perhaps its the methodology (Bayesian Average), the admittedly cool graphs, or just the general taste in RPGs of their community.

RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs (More information and results at the link)

15982.png

15985.png

Battle Brothers was one of the highlights of the year for me. It doesn't get talked about a lot here, but it certainly deserves to be. The enemy design is just fantastic. I found myself consistently changing my tactics throughout the many different types of enemies, compositions, and terrain the game throws at you. It's the kind of game where you'll grow attached to your brothers, and thus makes that mistake that takes a familiar face's life all the more painful. I spent a good 230+ hours on it earlier last year.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 is just a phenomenal RPG. If there is one area of design I'd highlight however it is how it inspires creativity at every turn. From its fantastic combat, to solving quests and exploration, the game begs the thought I wonder if I can do this, and answers with a resounding yes. Congratulations to Larian Studios.

To prevent further posts on the topic of why Persona 5 and Xenoblade 2 aren't here, this vote was for PC RPGs.

Last edited:

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Good to see Nier and Nioh. Divinity: OS2 was a shoo-in this year for RPGs.
Unexplored also deserves recognition. I'm still surprised to see the hellishly buggy, archaic and unbalanced Grimoire get that high on the list.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Surprised to see Torment so low down, figured that would be right up their alley. Glad to see Prey and West of Loathing do so well though.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I really like the visualization you put in the OP, it provides more information than just a table or 1D chart.

One of the larger surprises for me here is seeing the 77% positive rating for Nier:A. I love the game, but it doesn't seem very Codex-friendly.

Great to see ELEX represented -- I still haven't gotten to it.

OP
OP
Arulan

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest. Kinda surprised ELEX made the cut.

it is pretty though.

I'm actually surprised it's not higher, given the discussions over there. It looks like some people really didn't like it, which brought it down.

Production values don't hold the same weight at RPG Codex that they do here. And well I can't speak to ELEX as much as I'd like yet, Piranha Bytes' open-world design is typically fantastic, and significantly better than modern AAA examples.

Deleted member 15476

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they extended the list to 54 games just to shit on Andromeda

which doesn't bothers me that much tbh

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually surprised it's not higher, given the discussions over there. It looks like some people really didn't like it, which brought it down.

Production values don't hold the same weight at RPG Codex that they do here. And well I can't speak to ELEX as much as I'd like yet, Piranha Bytes' open-world design is typically fantastic, and significantly better than modern AAA examples.
Hmmp. More you know.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
At least it's not another Persona 5 circlejerk. (this is why I love Codex). Glad to see Prey, not sure I would call it an RPG, but it's Codex, and they have to praise Chris Avellone's game even if it was Tetris.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Great to see NieR Automata ranking this highly on there, didn't expect that to happen, given that it's RPG elements are one of its biggest weakness really.

Surprised to see Torment so low down, figured that would be right up their alley. Glad to see Prey and West of Loathing do so well though.

Torment got a lot of shit on there for the way kickstarter stretchgoals were handled (Deservingly so i'd say, as the devs basically fullfilled none of them)

JustSomeone

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally , a list where D:OS2 is in it's rightful place.
Elex should have been higher, though.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Great to see NieR Automata ranking this highly on there, didn't expect that to happen, given that it's RPG elements are one of its biggest weakness really.

Torment got a lot of shit on there for the way kickstarter stretchgoals were handled (Deservingly so i'd say, as the devs basically fullfilled none of them)

Not only that, the entire game was simply executed very poorly with a lacklustre progression system, terrible combat and lots of filler writing. At least to me it was clear the game really suffered from a lack of direction. There was an idea but no one managed to convert it into a satisfying story, let alone a satisfying game. The Bloom is still really cool, though.

At least it's not another Persona 5 circlejerk. (this is why I love Codex). Glad to see Prey, not sure I would call it an RPG, but it's Codex, and they have to praise Chris Avellone's game even if it was Tetris.

Prey has more RPG elements than e.g. Nier Automata so it definitely deserves to be included, in my opinion.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
I'm wierded out that Persona 5 and Xenoblade 2 didn't make it to the top 50. Any explanations?

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Played Battle Brothers in the last week and it's really great, mechanically sound, tough and with a great sense of "humour"

Shoutout to Expeditions: Viking too, never thought i would enjoy it so much

OP
OP
Arulan

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017

It could be argued that Prey, much like most Immersive Sims, is derivative of Ultima: Underworld, and therefore an RPG. But like many have tried before, it would take a few decades and your sanity, and you'd still be left with nothing on what is an RPG. They tend to opt for a fairly unrestricted definition, and let people's votes decide.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm kinda with Avellone in that Prey isn't necessarily an rpg.

Similarly I would say System Shock 2 isn't an RPG while Deus Ex is. I think it is the NPC interaction as opposed to being alone killing monsters what does it, despite the similar complexity in leveling mechanics.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
I glanced at their thread on Prey and it seems that everybody despised it.

Is there like some sub-forum there that isn't full of Gamer Gators and people who despise everything made after 2001? Because it seems there's some firewall between the people who post there and the Codex community at large.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I glanced at their thread on Prey and it seems that everybody despised it.

Is there like some sub-forum there that isn't full of Gamer Gators and people who despise everything made after 2001? Because it seems there's some firewall between the people who post there and the Codex community at large.
Their forums are a festering pus filled sore.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His Majesty deserves an ELEX tag. Mods need to step their game up on this site and start handing out tags.

There is Community Resettler, Community Advisor, Community Door Greeter, Community Mailman, Community Medical Staff, and now we need Community ELEX Propaganda Spreader.

Deleted member 24118

Oct 29, 2017
I'm kinda with Avellone in that Prey isn't necessarily an rpg.

Similarly I would say System Shock 2 isn't an RPG while Deus Ex is. I think it is the NPC interaction as opposed to being alone killing monsters what does it, despite the similar complexity in leveling mechanics.

It's not the RPG of the Year poll, it's the Game of the Year poll.

It's somewhat odd that the RPG Codex GOTY list contains so many games that arguably aren't RPGs, but there ya go.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
It hurts to see Torment with such a lackluster reception, but this one is deserved. InXile completely dropped the ball with it, as it was a clearly missmanaged project with notorious lack of direction and focus, and on top that they decided that pissing off their backers before release by hiding all the cuts and broken promises would be a great idea, making word of mouth dangerously negative with the people that should spread their excitment onto others on forums and social media.

Hopefully Wasteland 3 will manage to reasonate with more people and please its more dedicated audience, because The Bard's Tale IV has a very realistic chance of bombing harder than Torment (hopefully it will be good too, but I'm not holding my breath)

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
It's not the RPG of the Year poll, it's the Game of the Year poll.

It's somewhat odd that the RPG Codex GOTY list contains so many games that arguably aren't RPGs, but there ya go.
Given how the definition of RPG is somewhat diluted at the edges these days (like most genre definitions), it would make sense to sample more broadly.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Just stop with the baiting . Persona 5 is a legit amazing RPG , the reason it's not there because Codex RPG is a PC site .
Well, judging by their sub forum dedicated to JRPGs and Japanese games biggest praise Codex had for P5 is that it's stylish and menus look pretty. Regardless, it had as much chances to win GOTY over there as D:OS2 on RPGfan.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Well, judging by their sub forum dedicated to JRPGs and Japanese games biggest praise Codex had for P5 is that it's stylish and menus look pretty. Regardless, it had as much chances to win GOTY over there as D:OS2 on RPGfan.
I don't think their forums are good judge of placement. As somebody noted above, Prey is endlessly trashed but it came in second.

Oct 27, 2017
Elex?

Yikes. That was one of the worst games of last year. I beat it waiting for something good to happen, but it's just an awful game that doesn't live up to Gothic 2 or Risen 1. Hell, I'd consider it Piranha Bytes worst game