• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Release date announced for Sword Legacy: Omen, 13th August 2018.

Uther.gif

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
If you take the legacy sword, you'll get an omen.
or
The sword has a legacy and now it has become an omen.
or
The legacy sword is humanity's last hope to defeat an omen

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
rpgotquestionikugf.png

What is the oldest RPG you've played? Do you consider it purely of historical interest, or would you still recommend it today?

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine is Akallabeth, and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it's not possible to go older than that in the RPG genre.

Is it purely of historical interest? Hm. I suppose so, but really the game is so short that I think everyone should at least give it a shot, with a walkthrough too if desired. Just for the experience.

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
rpgotquestionikugf.png

What is the oldest RPG you've played? Do you consider it purely of historical interest, or would you still recommend it today?

Oldest I've played was the roguelike Moria. I played the heck out of it on my old 386, since it was a small enough game that I could actually download it from my 2400 baud modem at the time.
I don't know if I would still recommend new players play it, it's not the oldest roguelike (Rogue, of course) and others have improved on it in various ways (it's part of the Angband family). But yes, I still recommend people play something in those ASCII roguelike lines once in a while.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
The oldest I've played was Ultima 1, and I guess you could say it was partly out of historical interest but moreso as a preparation to play the latter Ultimas like IV. After beating it I was pretty much like "nah, I'm good, let's just skip straight to IV next time".
The oldest one I've actually enjoyed is probably Dragon Quest I, though that was the SNES remake. But I did play the actual NES version of DQ III.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Oldest I've played was the roguelike Moria. I played the heck out of it on my old 386, since it was a small enough game that I could actually download it from my 2400 baud modem at the time.
I don't know if I would still recommend new players play it, it's not the oldest roguelike (Rogue, of course) and others have improved on it in various ways (it's part of the Angband family). But yes, I still recommend people play something in those ASCII roguelike lines once in a while.
I love Moria, absolutely love it. I still play Angband a fair bit, although I don't play a particularly current version (if indeed there is a current version).

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I have no idea what my actual oldest played RPG is, but it's gotta be one of the more known SNES titles. Games earlier than those I might have very briefly tried before, but so briefly I'd hardly call it playing the game lol.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Akalabeth is definitely the oldest one I've played, unless you want to count the mobile port of Oubliette.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
rpgotquestionikugf.png

Well the oldest RPGs I think I played are from 1992. Soul Blazer and Realms of Arcania: Blade of Destiny (Das Schwarze Auge: Schicksalsklinge). I fully completed the first one, but only put in around 10 hours into the latter. But it could also have been the sequel Realms of Arcania: Star trail (Das Schwarze Auge: Sternenschweif). Or both. I don't remember them too well. But I know I played at least one of them twenty years ago they were part of a multi game compilation box.
I completely recommend Soul Blazer. I played it the first time as a rental game during the SNES time and a decade later I bought it and finished it, It is such a forgotten gem. It is an early SNES game and it shows. But I really like how the story is made up as you work your way back after the apocalypse and try to restore the world.
I think I recommend Realms of Arcania to people who like nineties CRPGs and want a game not based on D&D. I am not the biggest fan of these games, so I never stuck really long with any of them.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Bought this for the Vita:

8731196_f520iidwt.jpg

Another game I already had on the PSP, but I don't mind paying 10 bucks to be able to play this classic on the Vita as well. Just more convenient than having to undust and charge the PSP every time I get the urge to play it.

Now to find time to actually play it...

rpgotquestionikugf.png

Oldest has to be Chrono Trigger, though I first played it around 2010 when the DS port was released. Would I recommend it to anybody? Abso-fucking-lutely. It's still a blast to play through. Great graphics, great characters, great story, great battle system. The only letdown are the late-game sidequests, which are underwhelmingly short. On the other hand, one might argue the game at least doesn't waste your time (if we ignore the optional dungeon added in the DS port).

I never played any of the old-school pc RPGs. My first RPG was Pokémon Red, but I had no idea I was playing what could be considered a (J)RPG. I think my first real foray into the genre was Morrowind in 2003. I admit I have little ambition to play RPGs older than that, with the exception of the Baldur's Gate series.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Not quite sure what the oldest RPG I've played is, but it's probably something like Lords of Midnight on the ZX Spectrum, which would have been, er, 1984 or something like that? Some great RPGs on the Spectrum, but the Amiga was where it got real with some absolute stone cold classics (many of which I still pick up even now, the best part of thirty years on). Good times.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think the oldest RPG I've played is "The Final Fantasy Legend" on Game Boy (1990).

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Oldest in its original form? Probably SMT 1, which I played earlier this year.

Oldest in an updated form? Either DQ1 or Ys 1. I forget their release dates.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
rpgotquestionikugf.png

Probably Temple of Apshai on my C-64 (or probably my Vic-20 with cassette tape storage). Think it was around 1980. I'm old but I never stopped playing CRPGs. There is very little from those days I would replay or recommend. Better as a nostalgic memory.

hemtae

Oct 25, 2017
Oldest is Wizardry 1 for me. Didn't even come close to finishing. Not really worth playing imo. But if you still want to torture yourself and play it just go all the way with the torture and play Wizardry 4 instead. Never even made it out of the first room in that one.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of interesting responses, I've actually never heard of a lot of these games.

It kind of saddens me that there is this whole era of early-to-mid 80s CRPG gaming that is slowly being "lost" to time. There isn't a lot of constant critical or mainstream journalistic attention put towards these games, so outside of dedicated enthusiast circles, they might as well be nonexistent.

That's part of the reason why I buy everything from GOG whenever it's an option, though. The service has a lot of modern games now, yea, but at its core it's still archival in nature and focuses on getting a lot of 30+ year old games up and running on modern systems. That's a great philosophy, and if it wasn't for them I really don't know how it'd be possible to get younger people acquainted with these games in any sort of convenient, playable form.
Oldest is Wizardry 1 for me. Didn't even come close to finishing. Not really worth playing imo. But if you still want to torture yourself and play it just go all the way with the torture and play Wizardry 4 instead. Never even made it out of the first room in that one.
Wizardry destroys me. One of these days I'll beat at least the first one though. Honestly it's a game I'd love to play through for the RPG club because I feel like that's probably the only way most of us would consider playing it.
Probably Temple of Apshai on my C-64 (or probably my Vic-20 with cassette tape storage). Think it was around 1980. I'm old but I never stopped playing CRPGs. There is very little from those days I would replay or recommend. Better as a nostalgic memory.
How do you feel about the Gold Box games? I think they're still pretty playable today (relatively speaking at least).
Still the best scene in the entire game. Vaan's dopey face sells it so well.

finalfantasythezodiac91dch.jpg

Don't listen to Ondore's lies!
Oh god this is one of my favorite parts of the entire series.

There is something magical about this scene. "Testify" LOL

Deleted member 6137

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember what my oldest rpg is, but a question like this makes me want to buy the CRPG book even more. Can't wait for its release.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
How do you feel about the Gold Box games? I think they're still pretty playable today (relatively speaking at least).

My absolute fondest gaming memories are the Gold Box games (Well a 3-way nostalgia tie with X-Wing, Infocom and Gold Box).

When the Gold Box came out, I was winding down playing D&D, but reading the Dragonlance and new Forgotten Realms books. The Gold Box games totally blew me away because I got the stories from my books and the RPGs I had stopped playing.

I actually did buy the entire Gold Box collection for nostalgia purposes, but I don't see myself playing them again.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, just beat FFX for the first time. What a ride.

Story was very deep, the fighting is hands down one of my favorites of any game. Being able to freely change characters on the fly as well as having enemies that have huge weaknesses versus certain characters attributes made me use every in the party.

Also the sphere grid, while I wasn't a fan at first, is crazy. Once you got farther along and could venture into other paths it made me a believer.

Going on the X-2 now. Time to keep this world rolling on.

Oct 25, 2017
Devil Halton's Trap
The oldest one I've dabbled with is Akalabeth for sure. It's fun to go back that far and see what Garriott wanted to achieve, though it's not that fun when you get into it. Other old xRPGs I've tried from back then are Dragon Slayer (PC-88) and Temple of Apshai (tried it at a con via a console port), which are similarly neat at first but brutal or boring after a bit of playing.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Alright started X-2 and that opening mission was definitely .. "different" haha

Battle system is odd coming straight from X although I think it controls much better and updated visuals are nice.

Last edited:

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I'm watching Son of Zorn on Netflix and it occurs to me that an over-the-top barbarian RPG could potentially be fun as hell.

...Does anything even close to that exist?

Edit: I haven't played any really old RPGs because the oldest I've played were SNES games, and even then they were remakes on newer platforms. The oldest game I've completed was probably the original Zork.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm watching Son of Zorn on Netflix and it occurs to me that an over-the-top barbarian RPG could potentially be fun as hell.

...Does anything even close to that exist?

Edit: I haven't played any really old RPGs because the oldest I've played were SNES games, and even then they were remakes on newer platforms. The oldest game I've completed was probably the original Zork.
Depends on your definition of over-the-top. Is Conan (Schwarzenegger Movies and Pulp Novels) over-the-top enough? There is a Conan MMORPG (Age of Conan) and Conan Exiles is an open world survival "RPG". There are a lot of CRPGs where you can choose a barbarian class. Most Barbarian and Conan games I could find are more action adventure or hack 'n slash. Barbarians don't wait for their turn, they knock you out immediately.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
rpgotquestionikugf.png

That's a good question. Oldest RPG I've just played is probably Final Fantasy Legend. I'd recommend it if you like old school stuff, though I think it could use a sprucing up from Square tbh.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Alright started X-2 and that opening mission was definitely .. "different" haha

Battle system is odd coming straight from X although I think it controls much better and updated visuals are nice.

The tone is pretty different but FFX-2's story stuff has some moments. Mainly just enjoy the best implementation of ATB, though.

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
I beat Baldur's Gate: EE the other night, bringing a 20-year unfinished chapter to a close. I was 16 when BG first came out and bought it as soon as I could after it release (I'm pretty sure I picked up the game from a local PC expo). I was into D&D at the time and spent of lot of time with the character creator. But exploring the early game felt slow and plodding to me, and there was an early fight that I was stuck on that I didn't have many other saves to go back and avoid it without losing progress. So I moved on to other games slid this into the long(long long) term backlog.

Secret shame: The same things happened to me with Baldur's Gate II and the original Fallout. I guess I just wasn't good at finishing games then.

I honestly didn't think finally finishing it would be such a relief to me, but dealing the final blows to Sarevok felt like a huge weight off my shoulders. And I don't know where my earlier objections to the plodding nature of the game came from, on this playthrough it felt like it had a much quicker pace than newer games like Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: Original Sin. I beat it in under 30 hours, and now I've moved directly into the new Siege of Dragonspear expansion.

But it definitely was a journey, and 16-year-old me is grateful to 36-year-old me for finally seeing it through.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
rpgotquestionikugf.png

Probably an indie RPGMaker game since I was smart enough to understand I could download games but not smart enough to know I could pirate them.

I think it was this most likely Ahriman's Prophecy https://aveyond.com/games/ahrimans-prophecy/

I enjoyed it at the time and its funny how I was introduced to a lot of stuff like character marriage that others remember more notable games for.
I'm not sure if I'd recommend it since I never went back to it and the same company's still making games and presumably they've improved their craft in the decade+ since then.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
rpgotquestionikugf.png

I was gonna say Dragon Quest but then remembered it was the GBC version which is way newer, so I think it's Earthbound Beginnings (1989). I played it out of genuine interest back when the unused localization was released and loved it from start to finish. It's still one of my favorites of all time.
Damn, just beat FFX for the first time. What a ride.

Story was very deep, the fighting is hands down one of my favorites of any game. Being able to freely change characters on the fly as well as having enemies that have huge weaknesses versus certain characters attributes made me use every in the party.

Also the sphere grid, while I wasn't a fan at first, is crazy. Once you got farther along and could venture into other paths it made me a believer.

Going on the X-2 now. Time to keep this world rolling on.
Good to see you enjoyed X after all!

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I was gonna say Dragon Quest but then remembered it was the GBC version which is way newer, so I think it's Earthbound Beginnings (1989). I played it out of genuine interest back when the unused localization was released and loved it from start to finish. It's still one of my favorites of all time.

Good to see you enjoyed X after all!

Thanks for the suggestion!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yo man, Grandia 2 is quickly becoming one of my fav. games of all time. I'm almost 1/3 of the way through the game and it's story and characters really won me over, plus I like the combat even if it is easy :P

rpgotquestionikugf.png

Would have to be Final Fantasy VII, and I would still recommend it, however, we live in the age of fan mods and the like so I would recommend playing it with fan mods or patches that touch stuff up gameplay wise at least.

Still the best scene in the entire game. Vaan's dopey face sells it so well.

finalfantasythezodiac91dch.jpg

Don't listen to Ondore's lies!
I only learned of its more humorous aspects after the fact :P I didn't think much of it when I palyed the game, and it was the game's TVTropes page that got me to know about it.

My fav. scene would be a hard choice between Cid and Baltheir
EAED5352F332909AA0620483ED79D08C9FE41E1F

Though this made me realize I would NOT want to be around a furious Baltheir.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Made it to the Yensa Sandseas in FFXII. It's so weird. I dislike Star Wars (the movies at least) but I absolutely love FFXII is basically Star Wars set in a high fantasy, steam-/clockpunkish desert world.

Spent the evening farming in the Westersand. Took a while, but I got my Gladius. Now Penelo of all people one-shots everything in the Sandseas. I might have farmed a bit too much, though:

Not really sure it shows, but Balthier for example already has all three Swiftness licenses.

My biggest pitfall with this game is farming too much and burning out on the battle system. Gotta force myself to continue the story, otherwise I'll never complete this game.

I only learned of its more humorous aspects after the fact :P I didn't think much of it when I palyed the game, and it was the game's TVTropes page that got me to know about it.
Heh, it actually was the same for me. I visited FFXII's page on TV Tropes once, years ago, and I saw Basch's folder was called "Basch fon Ronsenburg (of Dalmasca)" or something like that in reference to the meme. It's long gone from his character page (though it's still referenced at the bottom of the FFXII's main page) but I can't watch that scene with a straight face ever since.

My fav. scene would be a hard choice between Cid and Baltheir
EAED5352F332909AA0620483ED79D08C9FE41E1F

Though this made me realize I would NOT want to be around a furious Baltheir.
Balthier has some of the best lines in the game.

Two of my other favorites, more serious in nature:
  • "The illusions of the past. You think to have cast them off, only to find them years later, unwearying, unrelenting. The past can bind a man as surely as irons."
  • "If I could protect but one person from war's horror... then I would bear any shame. I would bear it proudly."

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just started playing Lunar (PS1 version) for the first time. It seems pretty typical wrt story but it has a lot of charm, battles are fairly engaging thus far, and I love the sprites.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Just started playing Lunar (PS1 version) for the first time. It seems pretty typical wrt story but it has a lot of charm, battles are fairly engaging thus far, and I love the sprites.

Twinsies! Well, I'm not playing for the first time, but I just bought the iOS version, and I haven't touched Lunar 1 in over a decade (Lunar 2 is my preference).

The dubbing is significantly worse than the Working Designs version, but other than that, I'm pleasantly suprised by how good the version is, and how well the game holds up. I didn't remember the early game being quite as harrowing as it is.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Twinsies! Well, I'm not playing for the first time, but I just bought the iOS version, and I haven't touched Lunar 1 in over a decade (Lunar 2 is my preference).

The dubbing is significantly worse than the Working Designs version, but other than that, I'm pleasantly suprised by how good the version is, and how well the game holds up. I didn't remember the early game being quite as harrowing as it is.
Oh neat! Had no idea there was even an iOS version tbh. I assume it works pretty well with touch controls?

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised how good the dub is considering its a PS1 title, and while I wouldnt call it super challenging or anything yet, it's definitely harder than the typical JRPG, at least at the outset.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Oh neat! Had no idea there was even an iOS version tbh. I assume it works pretty well with touch controls?

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised how good the dub is considering its a PS1 title, and while I wouldnt call it super challenging or anything yet, it's definitely harder than the typical JRPG, at least at the outset.

Have no big complaints with the touch controls so far. Pretty standard. Version's only like $6.50 on the Apple Store.

Lunar 1/2 were my favorites of Working Designs' catalog, so you're definitely in for one of the most charming PS1 JRPG localizations. You should give Lunar 2 a shot afterward! It improves on the original in virtually every way, IMO.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have no big complaints with the touch controls so far. Pretty standard. Version's only like $6.50 on the Apple Store.

Lunar 1/2 were my favorites of Working Designs' catalog, so you're definitely in for one of the most charming PS1 JRPG localizations. You should give Lunar 2 a shot afterward! It improves on the original in virtually every way, IMO.
I'll have to track down a copy at some point. I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy this one a lot

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Heh, it actually was the same for me. I visited FFXII's page on TV Tropes once, years ago, and I saw Basch's folder was called "Basch fon Ronsenburg (of Dalmasca)" or something like that in reference to the meme. It's long gone from his character page (though it's still referenced at the bottom of the FFXII's main page) but I can't watch that scene with a straight face ever since.

Balthier has some of the best lines in the game.

Two of my other favorites, more serious in nature:
  • "The illusions of the past. You think to have cast them off, only to find them years later, unwearying, unrelenting. The past can bind a man as surely as irons."
  • "If I could protect but one person from war's horror... then I would bear any shame. I would bear it proudly."
Vaan ran his good name to the ground, that punk little scrub!
Those quotes are quite good. FF12 has my fav. localization of any jRPG, it's a main reason I enjoy it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Now I want to replay FFXII.

Maybe I'll buy the PC version when I get home. 60fps seemed to alleviate the combat menu input lag at least slightly, and I can further reduce it by dropping ATB speed down and using CE's speedhack to play at 1.5-2x speed.

I know that probably sounds like an absurd solution, but I just really hate input lag lol.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
My oldest rpg was Betrayal at Krondor in 1993. I think I spammed my way through it with some freeze spell. My favorite bit was leveling up your lute prowess to make extra coin in taverns. Oh dear at the 1:00 minute mark:

I also played Shining in the Darkness (Genesis) around the same time too.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
rpgotquestionikugf.png

That would probably have to be Akalabeth: World of Doom and Temple of Apshai, both of which were released in 1979.

Outside of an interest in RPG history, I probably wouldn't recommend them. That said, it wouldn't take you very long to take a journey through Akalabeth -- become a knight, get robbed of food, or turn into a Lizard Man!

Temple of Apshai is interesting because it came with a lot of supplemental information about its world and lore. And a description for every room you entered!

Room Ten - The air of the room is filled with a cloying, sweet aroma,
causing the senses to reel. The walls of the room are covered with moss
which is largely brown and dried with only a few pale green patches
remaining. Breaking off any part of the green moss will reveal it as the
source of the aroma.

I managed to find a copy of the Atari port a few years ago.

img_20171113_105334swxpd.jpg

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
It looks like probably the original Final Fantasy, if you go by original release date (the other I was thinking of was Phantasy Star, released two days later). I still haven't played the original Dragon Quest/Warrior.

I can't recommend playing the NES version unless you like punishing/dumb or altogether unexplained mechanics, but some of the remakes are friendlier. I'd suggest slightly newer games over even the remakes (others have mentioned The Final Fantasy Legend as their first, which holds up better IMO, and is less repetitive). Phantasy Star, on the other hand - despite a really difficult and unintuitive starting section - is more fun.