• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Finished DQ3 and it has such a great ending.

Seeing the great hero dad you always heard about slayed right in front of you by a hydra, that's pretty brutal. Then MC can rehearse it with their party. For me, it drives home that no matter how great you are, some tasks are just too big for yourself and you need help from friends.

The boss rush was amazing. Sage's stone and prayer rings saved my butt. Fight with Baramos was a lot tougher, however when I had him I was still in good shape. Zoma was a real endurance test. Yet I did manage to beat him on the first try. Few turns away from failure. Five dying gave Opaa strength to crit lol.

Then the closing scenes with all the fireworks. No way back. Darkness will return and Edrick leaves behind equipment for a new hero and ventures off somewhere beyond Alefgard. It's a beautiful representation of the Erdrick you hear tales about in DQ I&II long after the hero's passing. Bittersweet ending. The sad part of leaving behind the world you got to know. The excitement of tackling new challenges ahead. While tying back into DQ I&II, all the same. DQ III is very good on its own, but how it builds on its predecessors is what makes it stand out even more.

I kinda wonder how it would be to have played 3 first and then go back to 1 and 2 heh.

I'll probably play the SNES version next time (in a year or so) with a different party make up. It has been fun putting in names of rpg community discord members in my party. Made it all just a bit more special, fun or annoying haha.
Yeah, I keep meaning to replay DQ3 and possibly the entire original trilogy--as you note they do work very nicely as a trilogy, with how they build on each other both wrt narrative and structure and wrt game mechanics and character growth. Think I'll play it again in the next couple of months, also the SNES version that time.

I came to the original trilogy fairly late in my experience of the series, which I kind of regret in the sense that replaying the other games subsequent to having played the original trilogy has illuminated them in certain ways. At the same time, I don't regret that because it enhanced the replaying experience :P. They offer a kind of founding myth of DQ which the series calls back to as it explores related but different things.

I'm glad you've enjoyed the games and it has been fun to read your impressions and progress notes. Can't wait until you jump into Zenithia (yes, take time for other games--but DQ4 is so so very good (as is what follows!) :P).

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm curious, especially in times where pretty much every game out there incorporates some RPG elements, what makes a game an "RPG" anymore for you?
I just beat Mutant Year Zero and while most people would describe the game as "XCOM with a duck" it's much more "Wasteland 2 without out-of-combat stuff" to me. You have a squad of 5 named characters, you level up, get skill points and new skills, get new weapons out of chests, combat is turn based, you have buffs and debuffs etc pp. So it shares a lot of similarities with RPGs (and is based on a popular RPG rule set) but I don't think many people (including me) would consider it an RPG. I think for me it's the lack of dialogue and - as mentioned - out of combat scenarios but then again I would consider Dark Souls an RPG and that also lacks those options. So it's really just a gut feeling for me.

Now obviously genres are completely meaningless anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to hear what makes a game an "RPG" for instead of a "game with RPG elements"

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just go with gut feeling. These days, most games have rpg elements, as you said.

I don't consider Ratchet & Clank an rpg (which I beat two days ago), but you gain level ups while killing monsters (and getting exp) with more health. New gadgets, and last but not least, new weapons that you can level up and upgrade with raritanium.

On the other hand, I usually put my Yakuza games with my other rpgs on the shelf.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I am arbitrary tbh.

Generally, what I think of an RPG having are character growth/management and a kind of digital interface with game world including text based systems for interaction (and perhaps largely such systems). To flesh out the latter, I'm thinking of low "platforming" interactivity with the world, being funneled into encounters which have defined rules, and a wealth of menu based dialogue and management choices. I generally think of RPGs as slower games, not necessarily but often in action, and also in the way they encourage you to consume them.

Some games I consider RPGs probably don't fit this description well or at least only as well as games I don't consider an RPG. Like I don't consider Zelda an RPG and many of its qualities are reminiscent of a simplified ARPG like Ys. Moreover, Ys dabbles in Zelda/Metroid like gadgets, platforming, and puzzle at times and is traditionally known for a breezy pace limiting the focus on text based interactions. Yet I'd say Ys has more traditional RPG growth and its world is more digital in that it is more centered on combat in particular.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A) Focus on Story and/or Characters
B) A Certain degree of RPG mechanics

Where to draw the line for B) is pretty abitrary.
I include Yakuza Games and Horizon: Zero Dawn, but not say the new Tomb Raider games.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
I have a really basic criteria for a game being an RPG or not.

Does it have an actual character sheet? A screen dedicated solely to the characters statistics, skills and equipment? If so it's an RPG.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
helBOTM.jpg

Does this count as a character sheet?

Oct 25, 2017
So Atom RPG is out next week, has anybody played this during the Early Access phase? The user reviews are "overwhelmingly positive" on Steam for what that's worth.
I'm kinda tempted but I'm petty and think the name "ATOM RPG: Post-apocalyptic indie game" is utterly terrible and stupid.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I bought games based on titles, I would never have played games like Planescape: Torment and Arcanum. Or many other great games.

From what I have read and seen, ATOM RPG ticks a lot of the right boxes, but I will withhold my purchase for now. I'm far too deep into far too many games at the moment.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
I feel there might as well be a new label for RPG-like games that aren't RPGs. One of the dudes at Three Moves Ahead made the distinction between Roleplaying vs Rollplaying (I think in their one episode about Infinity Engine games), which I think is a good starting place; the difference between the two being whether it is about characters or numbers. Basically.

Anything to keep Call of Duty from being classified as an RPG.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Atom RPG is out next week, has anybody played this during the Early Access phase? The user reviews are "overwhelmingly positive" on Steam for what that's worth.
I'm kinda tempted but I'm petty and think the name "ATOM RPG: Post-apocalyptic indie game" is utterly terrible and stupid.
Early access reviews tend to be very lenient, so better wait for the full release.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Finished DQ3 and it has such a great ending.

Seeing the great hero dad you always heard about slayed right in front of you by a hydra, that's pretty brutal. Then MC can rehearse it with their party. For me, it drives home that no matter how great you are, some tasks are just too big for yourself and you need help from friends.

The boss rush was amazing. Sage's stone and prayer rings saved my butt. Fight with Baramos was a lot tougher, however when I had him I was still in good shape. Zoma was a real endurance test. Yet I did manage to beat him on the first try. Few turns away from failure. Five dying gave Opaa strength to crit lol.

Then the closing scenes with all the fireworks. No way back. Darkness will return and Edrick leaves behind equipment for a new hero and ventures off somewhere beyond Alefgard. It's a beautiful representation of the Erdrick you hear tales about in DQ I&II long after the hero's passing. Bittersweet ending. The sad part of leaving behind the world you got to know. The excitement of tackling new challenges ahead. While tying back into DQ I&II, all the same. DQ III is very good on its own, but how it builds on its predecessors is what makes it stand out even more.

I kinda wonder how it would be to have played 3 first and then go back to 1 and 2 heh.

I'll probably play the SNES version next time (in a year or so) with a different party make up. It has been fun putting in names of rpg community discord members in my party. Made it all just a bit more special, fun or annoying haha.

I've talked about this a bit in Discord, but DQ3 really is a special game. I like DQ1 and DQ2 too much to say that DQ3 is where the series "got good" but I do think in some sense it's where Dragon Quest became Dragon Quest. There's a certainly elegance in the simplicity of DQ1 especially, and both DQ1 and DQ2 are pretty remarkable achievements in the context of their time, but for me DQ3 is the first game in the series where as I'm playing it I can think "this is great" without qualifications. Beyond that, it also established a lot of conventions that would come to define the series. Put another way, while I certainly think people should play DQ1 and DQ2, DQ3 is the first game in the series that feels like a "must play" to me.

It's also definitely a fun game to replay since you can experiment with different jobs. In that way the appeal is somewhat like FF1, though I'd argue DQ3 is a much stronger game.

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Phantasy Star! I enjoyed it.

It opens up a lot after the Luveno/Gothic/Prison sequence, becoming like mid-game DQ2/3 except with a whole series of planets to jump between. It was fun hopping from planet to planet chasing down leads and finding legendary equipment. I didn't go about this in an organized fashion--did about two circuits of the planets in turn. I ended up looking up how to get the hovercraft but the rest of the little dialogue tricks I managed to deal with okay and dialogue clues plus exploration were enough to get all the items advertised in the manual. For example, I was quite confused at first about how to use the ice digger but in my confusion I stumbled on the answer by chance and got the prism this way--luckily as I had forgotten I should be looking for it :P.

The game has a strong sense of place even with the minimal, constrained text. The visuals are quite strong and the space-faring fantasy shines through.

I ended up wanting to use the ages mode on the overworld, particularly as it lacked a map and because its enemies were generally trash. In dungeons, on the other hand, I found myself gravitating towards the original mode. The battles in themselves don't offer much. MP is better conserved for healing inside/outside of battle or boss fights, so if you can't talk to dismiss, it instead just becomes an attack, attack, attack, etc. game. In ages mode, this makes dungeon delving pretty toothless, but in original mode there is a resource management game that does its part to make up for the battles. There should have been an auto-battle system implemented imo.

I never experimented with auto map on/off. I can see how it would simplify the experience greatly--the maps can get pretty complex--and kind of wish some things hadn't been marked, namely traps. At the same time its convenience was incredibly nice and honestly with fast forward I fell into my fair share of pits :P. I kind of just wanted to breeze through the game.

Last edited:

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm in the home stretch of Resonance of Fate. Trails in the Sky: FC is another story - I think I'm about halfway through it.

Whichever I finish first, I'll put the other on the back burner for a week or so and try to play Shining Force. Or maybe something more brainless and simple. Both RoF and TitS: FC are fairly tactical, requiring some thought even in the most basic of fights. I'm starting to regret playing both of these side by side as both games are the kind where you have a main story...and then a quest board with a ton of side-quests that should be completed.

I've spent more time in both games doing sidequests than actual story content. It's not a bad thing per se, as neither game has a looming end of the world threat over my head at the moment. With these two, DQXI and Atelier L&S.... I might be side-quested out for a little while and seek out something incredibly linear.

In the future, I'll need to put some more thought into how I pace and balance the games I'm playing.

Last edited:

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
Just play one at a time, and the endorphin hit from finishing a game faster will propel you through the remaining games. 😊

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
So I said at some point that I'd come to this thread to talk about the games I am playing from my Blitz list and try to say something meaningful about them (I can't guarantee this tho), well a month later I finally started playing my first game from said list and it turns out it's Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and I'm confused af:

The whole card system is both intriguing and kind of frustrating I have only low card numbers while most of my enemies can break them easily, I thought I'd receive better cards eventually but it hasn't happened yet (well, to be fair I'm just at the beginning of the third floor). The system itself doesn't seem to be bad, but I'm lacking the tools to make it work better for me: I have only two number 5 cards, two 6, one 7 and one 8, all the other ones are lower. Also, it seems that I skipped half of the first floor somehow, Should I need to go back to it to find better cards?

The story so far is kind of mindfuckey, I guess, and it's full of this KH writing that everyone makes so much fun of: "it seems that you've forgotten that you forgot" wut.

I've just played a couple of sessions of it but if the trophy list is as spoilery as it seems, at least there aren't that many floors in Castle Oblivion.

Last edited:

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
So I said at some point that I'd come to this thread to talk about the games I am playing from my Blitz list and try to say something meaningful about them (I can't guarantee this tho), well a month later I finally started playing my first game from said list and it turns out it's Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and I'm confused af:

The whole card system is both intriguing and kind of frustrating I have only low card numbers while most of my enemies can break them easily, I thought I'd receive better cards eventually but it hasn't happened yet (well, to be fair I'm just at the beginning of the third floor). The system itself doesn't seem to be bad, but I'm lacking the tools to make it work better for me: I have only two number 5 cards, two 6, one 7 and one 8, all the other ones are lower. Also, it seems that I skipped half of the first floor somehow, Should I need to go back to it to find better cards?

The story so far is kind of mindfuckey, I guess, and it's full of this KH writing that everyone makes so much fun of: "it seems that you've forgotten than you forgot" wut.

I've just played a couple of sessions of it but if the trophy list is as spoilery as it seems, at least there aren't that many floors in Castle Oblivion.

I found myself very frustrated with KH Re:CoM's battle system. I feel it would have been pretty great as a turn based version with more thought and planning put into each move.

The story is great though. At one point I got sick of grinding the same room to get an 8 card so I could move onto the story and just watched the cutscenes. I'm kind of glad I did because I wanted to know what was gonna happen next. I found myself pretty invested in the characters and general plot, as crazy/weird as it was. I think I would've had a more negative reaction to it if I had to go through the card combat every 20-30 mins between cutscenes.

For the cards though, I've been told that sleights are the way to go, as well as combos so you can break the cards enemies block with and finish them off. Can't guarantee it'll be any fun or work very well though.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I joined the Mother 1 party yesterday; just playing the Wii U version. I think it is a lot of fun. Without the patch it has a reputation for being grindy and, while I can see where that is coming from, it really has not been the nature of my experience--yes, I've done battle-step-battle more than once but I've also gone whole long stretches without and overall it has not annoyed me. Instead, I've enjoyed the exploration and the dungeons. They've been neat settings with fitting enemy sets and Ninten has grown well and is definitely up for the task. He's got loads of PP so there isn't really a management crunch despite the high encounter rate. The difficulty comes instead in the way levels/enemy sets work: there is usually a spike you level against upon hitting a new area. Those spikes have generally gotten shorter as Ninten has gotten sturdier and better at healing himself. Death is also incredibly forgiving in Mother 1--it is like DQ except the money starts in the bank so you die and maintain all your money and experience by default.

I don't mean this as "don't play the patch," just as the Wii U version is perfectly fine--what I've said highlights that the encounter rate being high isn't essential to the game (the resource management bit) and any translation that includes the reference to DQIV is obviously superior :slime: But yeah, again, Wii U version is fine imo.

The voice is familiar coming from Earthbound and it is a pretty unique voice in RPG and one I enjoy a lot. There is a melancholy and a distance between people as they all act strange and idiosyncratic, often in somewhat antisocial ways. There is also a warmth and a joy: the people tend to be goofballs, and the humor is good. Basically, there's a lot of bite in that and also a lot of fun imo. Both appeal to me. I guess what I am saying is that the divides are exaggerated between people, which I think will ultimately speak more to the worth of bonds?

E.g.
Magicant for example spoke to this with its sort of ethereal bliss, mixed with amusing takes on heavenly beings, e.g. "the cat that swims" versus "the cat that swims in the ground" or the courageous Flying Man but also ethereal sadness and emptiness, which it yearned to fill, e.g. the sadness of the palace and the queen's desire to remember the song.

It is a familiar voice as someone who has usually always been out-of-step with the world around him tbh.

Got through Duncan Factory and managed to recruit Ana. The train song and snowman are both glorious. Ana wants me to go to the desert; I want to check out the ghost house npcs were talking about first!

Last edited:

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking for opinions of the following:

Resonance of Fate: I was reading a different thread recently where this game was highly recommended by many people. I remember the old PS3 game, but never played it. Did I miss out on a hidden gem? I am interested in the recent PS4 digital release. What makes this game so special that it is highly recommended?

Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk: Not too familiar with this one either. I know its a DRPG from the folks that made Disgaea (a series I quite like). As far as DRPG's go, how is this? I mildly recall it showing up in the eshop new releases briefly but i didnt pay it much mind and thought it was perhaps a generic throw-away DRPG, but I've now seen a few glowing recommendations for this one too.

I would appreciate any insight from you folks! I ll try and check a couple you tube videos out too, but I am weary of spoilers in that regard.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017

Resonance of Fate: I was reading a different thread recently where this game was highly recommended by many people. I remember the old PS3 game, but never played it. Did I miss out on a hidden gem? I am interested in the recent PS4 digital release. What makes this game so special that it is highly recommended?

Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk: Not too familiar with this one either. I know its a DRPG from the folks that made Disgaea (a series I quite like). As far as DRPG's go, how is this? I mildly recall it showing up in the eshop new releases briefly but i didnt pay it much mind and thought it was perhaps a generic throw-away DRPG, but I've now seen a few glowing recommendations for this one too.

I would appreciate any insight from you folks! I ll try and check a couple you tube videos out too, but I am weary of spoilers in that regard.

Here's a post on Coven from up-thread:

Rabbit hasn't been effortposting this year, but Rabbit's effortposts got praised (thanks!) so here's a celebratory effortpost.

I've been intending to do these with games I've finished for the better part of this year and just wound up...not, but since I'd been so overwhelmingly positive about it on Discord while playing it and real time chat isn't the best place to write lengthy dissertations about game mechanics (though I try to brute force it all the time) this seems like as good a time as ever to start.

Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk

Coven received pretty glowing praise when it released in Japan a couple years ago so I was rather anticipating it, but I really wasn't expecting it to be the complete package that it wound up being. While it's not without some relatively significant design issues that would severely hamper replays and render different players' experiences relatively samey, NIS has laid out a framework with Coven that, if pursued and refined as Disgaea has been, could lead to an incredibly successful line of DRPGs going forward. Please note in advance that the actual play experience of this game is stellar, and I'm going to go diving through the muck of actual systems design that doesn't necessarily have significant perceptible impact on the experience itself--just places where things could be more elegant or lead to more refined design or varied play experiences. Coven's The Good Shit and a joy to play, but nitpicky mechanics critique is just how I do.

Before I get into that, let's clarify that Coven is one of those rare (and wonderful) The Last Remnant situations, where you lead several groups of characters into combat totaling a maximum of 15 active combatants. These groups are called Covens, and each Coven Pact is a loot item that allows one instance of that Coven per copy of the item. Covens allow for a fixed number of both active (up to 3) and support (up to 5) units, with slots often having positive or negative effects. They're also what determine the active skills the characters in the coven can use, with some skills requiring certain slots not be left empty (and with these slots often having negative effects as a tradeoff for more powerful skills). This means that some covens are more geared toward Donum (magic) use, some are for tanks, attackers, supporting, buffing and debuffing, or what have you.

Individual characters are an amalgamation of your usual stats as well as up to 12 passive skills. They can be reincarnated through multiple classes to restart from level 1 while carrying over skills, allowing for effective multiclassing. Characters themselves have no active abilities, only passives, but each class can use the majority of weapon types even if their class doesn't have any passives that especially support that weapon's use, so you can get a little creative with things. They can also be customized with one of two different optional stances intended for tanks (drastic boost to HP and defensive stats, and an inherent taunt effect) or damage dealers (massively reduced HP and luck but a bonus to weapon mastery ranks and offensive power), and several different stat growth patterns ranging from "every stat rises equally" to "extreme specialization in class-favored stats and F-rank growths in everything else" or anywhere inbetween.

Finally, each character is given equipment, which runs on a blizzard-like loot prefix and rarity system to determine the ultimate stats on the gear. Equipment falls like rain, has wildly varied stats depending on the prefix and rarity, and you can toss your garbage (which you'll have a lot of) into other items via item synthesis to offload it.

Covens are generally given a single command that applies to all units in the coven. Spells are cast collaboratively, averaging out relevant stats, and the attack command makes each unit attack in turn. From a systems design perspective this means you're actually better off looking at your five chosen covens as your "Characters," your characters as the "Equipment" that determines stats and what the unit does, and equipment as "Gems" slotted into the "Equipment" to tweak it. Once you're thinking from this angle, you begin to hone in on a couple of Coven's bigger design problems--namely, as with almost every equipment gemming system in the history of RPGs, the gems are way more complicated than their actual practical effect on combat would lead you to desire. Since you're dealing with over a dozen gear slots for every individual coven, and five covens, this means you're probably gonna be falling back on auto equip a hell of a lot because really, who has time for that crap? The randomized loot and synthesis systems have next to no practical effect on actual play of the game unless you get a notably broken legendary item with really good modifiers, everything else is just a haze of fillery cruft.

Perhaps more importantly, while Covens do come with quite varied effects and many of them are kind of interesting, the game gives you a number of Obviously, Overwhelmingly Optimal covens such as a pair you can obtain in mid-late game that'll inevitably be used through postgame that confer no negative effects and grant the highest tier of offensive spell for every element, a 70% HP heal for all active units, and an offensive self buff. Coven grants you a lot of options, and a lot of possibilities for extremely intricate customization, but in the end most players aren't going to make use of it. There's an incredible amount of potential for future games if the equipment system is streamlined (say, a single item per character with drastically more significant effects, rather than the haze that is managing several dozen pieces of gear across your team) and covens themselves are either made more customizable in their active skillsets or simply more balanced with less of the whole "blatantly obvious optimal choices in a sea of heavily penalized gimmicks" thing.

Now, in practice none of this really impacts the moment to moment play experience--Coven's a hell of a lot of fun--and the only real issue with the gameplay as you're playing it is that normal encounters are on the easy side, which means none of the resource management you'd expect from a DRPG. Luckily, since you're representing a bunch of necromantic mannequin soldiers being controlled by a witch, you're awfully concerned with her remaining Reinforcement Magic, used to summon the puppets at the start of the dungeon crawl, bolster the puppets in combat as desired, use various traversal skills, and teleport yourself out of the dungeons or set checkpoints. Additionally, your dolls can be very easily dismembered by crits (so can enemies, for the record, which is great). This sends their limbs flying and disables equipment slots while reducing max HP drastically. A crushed head will even render a doll's max HP 0 for the rest of the run, resulting in not so permanent permadeath. You can rebuild their bodies for a cost when you return to the witch's caravan at the end of a crawl. These mechanics mean that even if you're not managing your magic juice or HP very carefully, you've still got the requisite resource management necessary to keep DRPGs ticking.

Coven has some of the best dungeon design I've seen in a DRPG in some time, and the aforementioned traversal skills are a big part of it. Among them is the ability to knock down walls--in some dungeons this means basically all of them, in others just specific ones, but it's used a bit differently in each location and it's fantastic. Sometimes there may as well be an entire second dungeon hidden inside the walls of the dungeon you access normally. There's even an instance where you find yourself traversing through frequent mazelike unmappable areas where nearly every wall is breakable and you can Dogi your way through the entire maze...if you have the Reinforcement to spare, which makes for a hell of an engaging crawl.

All of this, I mean, sure, it's a solid DRPG. We get an Etrian Odyssey game almost yearly, we're familiar with those. Where Coven really surprises is the narrative. Which I'm going to heavily praise and then barely talk about, because the way it rolls out is actually pretty great. Your primary protagonist is a misanthropic, miserable, world-hating, remarkably petty late-20s-to-30-something-ish witch with a prosthetic leg and cane. Her co-protagonist is her boundlessly happy and frequently mistreated child apprentice. She's not the world's best surrogate parent, but by god not only does she wind up sympathetic somehow (Coven is largely a character study and it's a VERY personal story) but their relationship--both the way it develops and how its existing layers are peeled back over the course of the narrative--is actually incredibly memorable and affecting by the end. It is... a ride, I'll say that much.

Coven probably won't be my Game of the Year this year, because what the hell even is 2018--or even September 2018 alone--but it might have been in a lesser year, and that came as quite a shock. Good on NIS for this one. Bring back toi8 for the next one. Soul Nomad's art would've been more fitting for the game's feel, I think. Also give the dolls ball joints next time. Thanks.

TL;DR:
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk is really good.

*Please note that Coven is subject to trigger warnings for less than delightful subject matter, most extremely multiple instances of heavily implied but never explicitly shown sexual violence, which is framed in an extremely non-titillating manner thankfully.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017

I'll tackle this one.

Resonance of Fate is a wonderful game that is simply unique. It's different from most anything you've played. The closest game to it would be Valkyria Chronicles, but even that only has small similarities with the combat. I suppose I'll cover it in parts.

The Story
RoF has a pretty interesting story which is different than the usual fair of JRPGs. You experience the lives of a trio of mercenaries who are just trying to scrape by. They each have their sordid histories and bloody pasts which will be shaded to you for quite a large portion of the game. The story is told in non-standard manner, like that of a puzzle. You get pieces here and there that may seem like they're little things or nothing. Maybe you don't know where they go in the grand scheme of things. Then you get that piece that connects the picture and start to put it all together in your head. "Ah, X was...because Y!" revelations hit me a few times already, and I really love the slice-of-life bits that may come in between some off-site dark drama regarding the concept of God. Everything ties together, slowly but surely. For me, each piece has kept my attention and I've been curious to see how it all ends. There's no giant lore dump or exposition of people just talking at you for hours. You see the important stuff unfold, even if it doesn't make sense to you at the time, it will later.

The World
The world in RoF isn't your standard overworld fare. When you're in town, you're roaming around like normal. When out in the "world", you're controlling a cursor and unlocking different parts of the map using energy hexes and the like. You have different shapes or configurations that will help you get to new areas, or special colored hexes to unlock new places. You can even link up to terminals that provide special effects such as Item Drop Rate x2 or Prevent Burning. There are many levels to the world of Basel - the giant clockwork tower that is humanity's bastion after the world essentially ended. You'll get ever so familiar with particular areas after you cross through them time and time again. One complaint people had was that the game had a lot of areas that were of the same color palette: browns and greys. The games aesthetic is largely steampunk, with gears and steam and combustion and the like. You'll find diesel spewing cars strapped to giant monsters, alongside myriad relics of the past. I still find it a little shocking to see street signs and fragments of the 'old world' in this post apocalyptic haven.

Dungeons feel like dungeons, something you get geared up to go into and explore while facing beast after beast. Dungeons can have their own overworld with different sub-dungeons that may have different enemies or equipment or even a different story piece later. You can get into combat in the dungeon overworld, just like in the standard overworld. When you enter the actual area, you can run around like you do in combat. Some areas won't have a fight for a room or two, while others throw you right into the fray. When you're in a dungeon with many rooms, you can't swap your inventory or change items...so make sure you're prepared. I made sure to check every room for extra goodies, such as new guns or ammo types.

The Combat
Where RoF shines is in the combat. It's a strategy RPG to make it simple, somewhat like Valkyria Chronicles in a sense. The battle system seems tricky at first, but it's actually remarkably simple. You have two damage types. One does high damage but can't kill. The other does low damage but can kill. Build up your scratch damage via SMGs that do high damage and then cash it all in for direct damage via a handgun or explosive. You get elemental status effects from ammo types and different grenades, allowing you to further manipulate the enemy. Planning out your attacks and routes are key to the battle system, as you'll want to take the terrain into account as well as enemy shields, angles, or even when they'll be attacking you. Hero Actions are the flashy John Woo-style cinematic attacks that you perform on the ground and in the air. You're invincible during these, but once you stop your path...you might end your turn in a hornets nest. Combat is all about setting up big attacks with your whole team, or planning when you'll want to kill an enemy to restore part of your action gauge, or when you'll break a shield to stun them, etc. People have struggled with the battle system in the past, but I think it's because they found themselves overwhelmed at first. It's a lot of info to dump on you, especially when the only tutorial is in an optional arena or a flashing point in the guild.

The Characters
The characters are truly wonderful in my opinion. I've really enjoyed how this group of rag-tag nobodies try to hit it big in a dirty and washed up world. They don't really have any particular dreams other than getting money, but eventually they start to share some of their ambitions. They really feel like a family, often joking with one another or propping up each other in their own ways. When you start to learn about their pasts, you really see some lights shining through the cracked masks they seem to wear. None of the characters are the type to give a long drawn out speech about doing whats right, they have no real sense of 'justice', they understand that they're just guns for hire and even just murderers, and they're never the type to try to school you about the Power Of Friendship(tm). They feel like real people who say only what they think they need to say, rather than having Turn Based Conversations that most games have. They're funny, charming, and witty with great voice actors in both languages. Nolan North voices Vashyron, the guy with the ponytail. While he may be a wise-cracking smartass, he's a farcry from North's typical "Nathan Drake" archetype.

The Music
Kohei Tanaka, most recognized in gaming for Gravity Rush, Sakura Wars, and Alunda, is one of the composers on the soundtrack. The other? Motoi Sakuraba of tons of amazing games with beautiful soundtracks. You can really get a feel for each composers style in the tracks. The songs really fit the theme of the world, and give a feeling a kind of... grungy symphonic taste, if that makes any sense. The music rises during the clashing Hero Actions in battle, it flows in a soothing melody during quiet and cold areas, and it just outright shines in most aspects of the game. There was never a track that I disliked, so I've nothing negative at all to say about the sound track. Whipping dual pistols around and lighting up a giant fire-breathing beast while bullets fly and casings hit the ground across sweeping orchestral arrangements paired with grungy guitar riffs is something might sound cheesy on paper, but sounds great on air.

Also, it's a tri-Ace game. They're my favorite developer so I may be a bit biased.

Reasons to play it:
Fantastic characters.
A slice of life story that is pieced together like a puzzle throughout the game.
Unique mechanics ranging from gun customization to simple world traversal keep everything interesting.
Over the top combat that is both tactical and flashy, giving you a treat for the eyes while keeping you engaged along the way.
A lovely soundtrack to go along with your rain of bullets.
It's tri-Ace's best game since Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria.

Things to keep in mind:
The story kind of 'unlocks' as you go through it, so you may not understand why strangers are talking about a machine God for quite a while.
Combat can have a learning curve. For some, it doesn't click. Don't fret though, it's incredibly simple and a blast to play.
The side quests are lopsided in that you'll spend more time doing them than the main story.
Combat can get repetitive once you put together your bread and butter plan of attack. Mixing up who does what or focusing on different styles can help.
Near the end, side quests can feel very grindy. I've faced the same battle configuration 4x in a row for a single quest. The arena is also a grind. It's optional though.

I think Resonance of Fate is a hidden gem and I'd love to see a sequel or some kind of new take on the battle system.

Full disclosure: Resonance of Fate is one of my top ten RPGs, and tri-Ace is my favorite developer, so apologies if this seems like gushing over something I really like. If you wanted to see some of what the game is like, I posted the OT when the remaster launched.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/resonance-of-fate-4k-hd-edition-ot-still-alive.75338/

I'll admit, the game isn't for everyone. Some have just bounced right off it. If you want a game that's unique in pretty much every way with a really interesting and flashy battle system and an unorthodox style of story telling (compared to many other JRPGs), RoF may be that game for you. I say check out some videos if you're curious!

Last edited:

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I posted this on Resonance of Fate earlier in the thread. I actually think its combat is its weakest component.

I am playing the Resonance of Fate remaster. I wasn't too hot on the game at release, largely because I found the battle system to be very repetitive and the flashy Hero Mode actions get stale quickly. But it's been a while since then so I wondered if a replay would change my mind a bit. So far, not so much. A big factor is that the game doesn't really have much in terms of systems progressions. Combat doesn't change much from hour 3 to hour 30. You basically use machine guns to deal scratch damage - get some parts easily breakable, then do a pistol run to dish out real damage and refill your hero gauge, and repeat. I also find "tri-attacks" to be not worth the hassle in setting up, though some people swear by them. Occasionally it's worth equipping your team with certain status protections in certain areas, but otherwise the general strategy to combat is always the same. I don't detest it, but I wish there was something more.

Also fighting trash mobs for hex drops to fill the map is also kinda tedious.

I'm not sure it's done exceptionally well, but I do appreciate the attempt at a low-exposition narrative style. Most (not all) of the scenes in the game don't actually "explain" anything to the player directly, but instead shows conversations between characters where you actually have to piece together the context in what they are talking about or why they are acting the way they are. One of my reasons for a replay was to experience this storyline style again because it admittedly confused me the first time through.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I've been meaning to check out Labyrinth of Refrain because I want to play more RPGs on my Switch. I hate everyone who made me hate the phrase, but I have to admit, (J)RPGs are perfect for that platform.

I'm not sure I'm that interested in the dungeon-crawling part, though. It's the story praise that's mostly got my interest piqued.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks everyone! That was some very detailed info for me to digest - I'm gonna go ahead and pick up both!

splash wave

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Are there any good write-ups/reviews out there to help sell me on The Last Remmant? I don't know a damned thing about it, but I know it's fairly well liked around these parts. I'm having a kid later next year so I figure I should wrap up a few long JRPGs while I have the time!

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Mother 1 last night:

It is good.

The ending is beautiful. Struggling to stay alive while steadfastly singing the lullaby in the face of unmitigated violence. This wasn't just "sing and then the evil barrier was dispelled," it was a fight where endurance and singing were the entirety of the fight. I died the first time I tried it. The second time, I was better prepared: PSI shield did mitigate the damage going out while Defense-up did not; I needed to use an item on Ana after the first turn; Lloyd needed to guard the next turn; then I could maintain a holding pattern with Ana spamming life-up pi while Ninten and Lloyd sang their hearts out. Eventually this holding pattern decayed and Ana could do a couple single heals while Lloyd could use a couple items but mostly they just all needed to Sing whenever possible. I beat him the turn before my team-mates were going to start falling.

I also want to touch on this boss relative to my comment above about the voice of Mother 1 and its depiction of people as idiosyncratic and at-a-distance from each other, somewhat trapped in their own strange worlds. Bonds are a magic that reach across and transcend this barrier, or at least so attempt. Giygas/Giegue, his narrative and his battle, is the epitome of this idea. Namely he has come to destroy the Earth because the man who raised him fled back there with forbidden knowledge: some insane, idiosyncratic genocidal code of punishment is to be wrought against the people and person (in Ninten if he does not stand down) of those Giegue professes to love as his own parents. Maria's loving lullaby moreover is fractured as her heart at what Giegue has become and the divide between him and George. The game progresses, along one line, through reconstructing said lullaby and then singing it to Giegue to send him away.

Giegue always flinched at the lullaby. And he flinches and runs from it in terror promising revenge. This isn't the usual "bonds" ending. Rather it is Giegue simultaneously recognizing the love, feeling it, and recoiling from it to promise that he will carry out his demented, unfeeling, over-targeted revenge another day (in Mother 2). This mixed relationship with the lullaby comes out in the mechanics of the fight laid out above: It isn't as simple as expressing the bond. The song acts as both love and damage and there is a definite barrier it must overcome to reach Giegue.

Also on this theme, I want to talk about Ninten/Ana. Their love is strange: namely Ana claims to have loved Ninten since she saw him in her dream and their is very little conversation between the pair, at least as relayed to the player. Instead their relationship is this strange pre-ordained bond and the strange struggles they put forward together in their efforts to stop a lurking, unknown threat (Giegue). It speaks again to "magic" in bonds, namely that they have an inexplicable nature. There is another side to this: the music, the dance, the blushing, the letters, etc. It is all moving, heartwarming, and cute. It may be strange, the people involved may be themselves strange, but there is a simple heartwarming magic in it.

(Similarly, the love of Giegue is strange: George and Maria ended up at the end of the universe far distant from their home and their kind and yet they took it upon themselves to adopt an alien child and try and raise it and love it as their own.)

I wrote about Magicant above, but other miscellaneous examples of the sort of thing I am talking about are:

-The father only communicating to Ninten over the phone
-The Mayor using Ninten selfishly and not even paying him the second time! He's sending the boy out to fight Zombies and Wild animals!
-The various sorts of crazy NPCs, from zombies to gangsters to telepathic babies to people just saying things like "Don't treat me like some ordinary man, even though I am one" or "Don't ask me anymore questions or I am going to cry!"

This is a game where you try and help this demented and unruly populace and moreover save them by singing your heart out to reach another, twisted heart.

I think this speaks profoundly to the human condition--at least as I have experienced it--by putting it all into stark relief and letting little say much: We are crazy and therein lie our demons, our sadness, our charms, and our joy. Love seeks to transcend the boundaries of our own personal foibles and bring us together, to cherish our demented hearts. It is powerful, wonderful, and, perhaps, frightening but also strange. Or, simply put, Magic.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't typically play jrpgs, I just finished Final Fantasy 7 for the first time on PS4. I enjoyed it quite a bit! I liked the mechanics: I was overwhelmed with the amount of Materia choices, which I think is a good thing. I liked the cast of characters for the most part and thought their moment to moment dialogue was pretty interesting. I appreciated the overall narrative and exposition dumps but I think I dug the moment to moment interactions most. I didn't lean on the quality of life cheats too, too much but I did become accustomed to the fast forward feature. I thought it was nice to include. This is the second rpg for me to finish in 2018, Ni No Kuni 2 being the first.

Now, I don't want to go for the platinum just yet. I'd like to add another rpg to pick away at from my backlog. I'm staring at a few and have basically got to the first save point on each and I'm still having cold feet. Here's what I'm considering next now:

Persona 5 - this looks and sounds incredible. The hours required to finish it is my main deterrent. Also, I have access to persona 3-4 on digital via ps3, which are also in my backlog...

Final Fanrasy VIII - the divided community and leveling system seems odd.

Final Fantasy IX - Another ps1 on PS4 romp. It may feel fatiguing after coming straight off VII.

Final Fantasy X Remaster - I've already completed it once on Ps2. Seems like a bit of a time waste with so much in my backlog.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - I'm sort of in the dark on this one but I know it's generally loved. I thought it looked great on the PS4.

Dragon Quest XI - I bought this on sale and I don't know enough about it. The only main complaint I've seen is the soundtrack, which is something that really stood out to me as a big positive in FF7.

Octopath Traveler - I have other sprite based games in my backlog that I need to get to, including FFVI and Chrono Trigger. I'm not sure if this should be my next. I know I need to finish those two especially on my bucket list but I'm looking to play something not strictly sprite based right now.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any good write-ups/reviews out there to help sell me on The Last Remmant? I don't know a damned thing about it, but I know it's fairly well liked around these parts. I'm having a kid later next year so I figure I should wrap up a few long JRPGs while I have the time!
I haven't played TLR. Aeana in the discord was suggesting the Era OT on it for basic information: https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...mnant-rebound-to-unreal-4.85168/post-15659582

futurememory

Oct 27, 2017
I also just (as in ten minutes ago) finished Mother, and MoonFrog has articulated beautifully why it's such a memorable, special ending. I feel a bit overwhelmed with emotion.

If anyone is interested in playing, I'd highly recommend that they go back and read Luminaire's lovely post here. It encapsulates a tremendous amount of why I loved playing this game so very, very much. This gorgeous thread by '3y Kingdom alerted me to the game several months ago. I had always wanted to play Earthbound, so when the Discord decided to do a backlog blitz, I placed that on my list. Lovely Opa-Pa recommended that I start with Mother first, and a couple of us started on the journey. I feel so lucky to have experienced the journey with not only Lumi and Moon, but Taborcarn and Thuddert as well. It's such a special, special game, and to have most of the Discord cheer us on and share in the emotional journey was something truly special.

I was perpetually impressed with the polish of the game. Its mission statement is so beautiful and relevant, especially in today's turbulent times. I could probably write paragraphs about how emotionally impactful the music is, how silly and endearingly quirky the characters are, how much of a sense of place this tiny world has. For my post, I'd like to dig a little bit into Magicant.

Magicant was the most emotionally beautiful place in the game for me. Even before I knew it was made of my great-grandmother's consciousness, it felt like a safe haven, a home. As one of the NPCs states in Queen Mary's throne room, "Everyone loves you here." And it's true. It feels like the warm embrace from a mother. It's a place where everyone knows what you need, where everyone heals you for free. There are Flying Men, and their sole purpose in life is to protect you. They'll die for you, without question. It's a place that you can come back to wherever you are in the game, and where you'll be welcomed with open arms. It doesn't exist on the map. It's almost a state of being.

It's only fitting, then, that Magicant ends up being a loving projection from your grandmother's consciousness. A grandmother that you've never met, but will protect you all the same. A woman, a mother, that scattered a beautiful, melancholic song to the ends of the earth, entrusting that journey to you. And entrusting that you'll be able to bring her to rest. To see Magicant dissolve, to never be able to go back, is a strong, strong grief.

There's so much familial love in Mother. From the simple meals your own mother in the game cooks for you, to EVE, the robot left by your grandfather that will follow you to the literal ends of the earth (or a mountain) out of simple devotion. And to use that love and devotion to "beat" the final boss and "win" the game is just stunning.

All this and it has an amazing sense of humor. I can't tell you how many times I literally clapped with delight at small little touches in the game. At tiny bits of smartly written, clever dialogue, at non-sequiturs and absurdist moments. And sometimes, sheer slapstick.

I highly recommend that anyone that has played Earthbound, or Undertale, or just love quirky, emotional games should play this. I can't wait to play the rest of the trilogy.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Finally completed Resonance of Fate after eight years and it still remains one of my top ten rpgs. That's not to say it can't be knocked out of it, but it just so much right for me. I've small qualms with it, but the last 10% of the game was completely My Thing. The aesthetic, the themes, the story, all of it from chapters 14-16 were great. I'd been a little worried for a while as I saw some people on GameFAQs(lol) say the game takes a dive in the 2nd half. Completely untrue. I'd also seen people complain about the ending being bad. Also 100% untrue. In a game that does so many things simply different from others, every piece was its own thing - including the ending. I might have a full write-up on it later as I put my thoughts together, but I was very happy with the ending. From the moment I set foot into the final dungeon to the last bullet fired to the lovely ~ FIN ~ after the credits.

I just started it myself and am really enjoying it. I'm only 6-7 hours in (going by my video capture since there is no in-game timer) and it's very fun. Combat has a learning curve but once you get it, it's pretty great. It requires some thought and effort into how you want your 'army' of sorts to be. Thankfully they're simple things that just need someone to tell you "Oh, try X or Y instead." It seems like it's easy to trap yourself into a dead end simply because something isn't properly explained to you (e.g. revival of unions/groups.)

The world is very interesting so far. I'm incredibly curious to learn more about these Remnants. The characters have been pretty great as well, with Rush being delightfully simple and not annoying. The soundtrack is top tier. I'm finding myself enjoying everything, especially the battle themes. I'm enjoying my time with it and can write up something more in-depth if you wanted some thoughts on someone new to the game. I'd tried to play it on PC before years ago but didn't stick with it for whatever reason. This time, I think I'm hooked.

Is this the RPG thread that has a monthly game challenge to beat? I guess I will try to follow it next year

I'm not sure? There was the RPG Club where we essentially selected a game out of a group of nominees and played it together for 4~6 weeks. It's been on hiatus for a little bit though as some things are changing with it. In the discord, we have a bit of a challenge to complete games and that's roughly halfway through.

Finished Mother 1 last night:

It is good.

The ending is beautiful. Struggling to stay alive while steadfastly singing the lullaby in the face of unmitigated violence. This wasn't just "sing and then the evil barrier was dispelled," it was a fight where endurance and singing were the entirety of the fight. I died the first time I tried it. The second time, I was better prepared: PSI shield did mitigate the damage going out while Defense-up did not; I needed to use an item on Ana after the first turn; Lloyd needed to guard the next turn; then I could maintain a holding pattern with Ana spamming life-up pi while Ninten and Lloyd sang their hearts out. Eventually this holding pattern decayed and Ana could do a couple single heals while Lloyd could use a couple items but mostly they just all needed to Sing whenever possible. I beat him the turn before my team-mates were going to start falling.

I also want to touch on this boss relative to my comment above about the voice of Mother 1 and its depiction of people as idiosyncratic and at-a-distance from each other, somewhat trapped in their own strange worlds. Bonds are a magic that reach across and transcend this barrier, or at least so attempt. Giygas/Giegue, his narrative and his battle, is the epitome of this idea. Namely he has come to destroy the Earth because the man who raised him fled back there with forbidden knowledge: some insane, idiosyncratic genocidal code of punishment is to be wrought against the people and person (in Ninten if he does not stand down) of those Giegue professes to love as his own parents. Maria's loving lullaby moreover is fractured as her heart at what Giegue has become and the divide between him and George. The game progresses, along one line, through reconstructing said lullaby and then singing it to Giegue to send him away.

Giegue always flinched at the lullaby. And he flinches and runs from it in terror promising revenge. This isn't the usual "bonds" ending. Rather it is Giegue simultaneously recognizing the love, feeling it, and recoiling from it to promise that he will carry out his demented, unfeeling, over-targeted revenge another day (in Mother 2). This mixed relationship with the lullaby comes out in the mechanics of the fight laid out above: It isn't as simple as expressing the bond. The song acts as both love and damage and there is a definite barrier it must overcome to reach Giegue.

Also on this theme, I want to talk about Ninten/Ana. Their love is strange: namely Ana claims to have loved Ninten since she saw him in her dream and their is very little conversation between the pair, at least as relayed to the player. Instead their relationship is this strange pre-ordained bond and the strange struggles they put forward together in their efforts to stop a lurking, unknown threat (Giegue). It speaks again to "magic" in bonds, namely that they have an inexplicable nature. There is another side to this: the music, the dance, the blushing, the letters, etc. It is all moving, heartwarming, and cute. It may be strange, the people involved may be themselves strange, but there is a simple heartwarming magic in it.

(Similarly, the love of Giegue is strange: George and Maria ended up at the end of the universe far distant from their home and their kind and yet they took it upon themselves to adopt an alien child and try and raise it and love it as their own.)

I wrote about Magicant above, but other miscellaneous examples of the sort of thing I am talking about are:

-The father only communicating to Ninten over the phone
-The Mayor using Ninten selfishly and not even paying him the second time! He's sending the boy out to fight Zombies and Wild animals!
-The various sorts of crazy NPCs, from zombies to gangsters to telepathic babies to people just saying things like "Don't treat me like some ordinary man, even though I am one" or "Don't ask me anymore questions or I am going to cry!"

This is a game where you try and help this demented and unruly populace and moreover save them by singing your heart out to reach another, twisted heart.

I think this speaks profoundly to the human condition--at least as I have experienced it--by putting it all into stark relief and letting little say much: We are crazy and therein lie our demons, our sadness, our charms, and our joy. Love seeks to transcend the boundaries of our own personal foibles and bring us together, to cherish our demented hearts. It is powerful, wonderful, and, perhaps, frightening but also strange. Or, simply put, Magic.

I quite enjoyed your take on the ending. I'm glad you had fun with the game and shared your updates with us! As someone who recently beat it myself, it's great to see others go back and give it a look.

futurememory I'll give your write-up a read today! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm definitely excited to give Resonance of Fate a try at some point. I don't really know what to make of the combat system, but being able to play it on PC is certainly going to be a benefit.

It'll have to wait for now, though. Maybe in Christmas 2019.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said before, I LOVE Mother, it's one of the most special games I've ever played and always try to encourage people interested in the series to not skip it, so seeing friends from the community play it together and share their impressions was a joy. Both MoonFrog and futurememory 's writeups really resonate with my own thoughts on the game too. The strangeness of the game and its characters and situations, and the impact of love and frienship. Those two sure are recurring themes in the genre, but I think Mother in particular executes them in an extremely sincere and powerful way; you don't just get powered up by love to kill the bad guy, you use genuine love to stand against adversity instead. It feels very fitting because it's a game that tries to capture the innocence of childhood, so it makes sense that the purest things in life will be the main tools for success in your journey.

Mother is so sincere and genuine, it's hard to explain, but I think it's something unique to it, even though Mother 3 evokes something similar at times. I think it's pretty hard to evoke sincerity while also being downright bizarre and overly quirky at times, but somehow the game nails it.

Future's thoughts on familial love really resonate with me as well. This game emanates a beautiful warmth in certain places, especially Magicant, and I really like how this sincere devotion and love is a constant theme that is expressed in the game in different ways, culminating with a certain event near the end that can make you sad, but also fill you with determination to see things through.

It's also been quite fun to remember things from the game from reading all these impressions and realizing the parallels with Dragon Quest, which I got into only recently. I think it resembles DQ2 the most (no surprise there since I found out recently it's directly inspired by it). With DQ2 I really enjoyed how it feels so innocent and cute, same with how DQ in general feels sincere and honest in a way, and Mother 1 really nails all that and makes me feel similarly, though it's still its very own thing.

I think the whole trilogy is extremely special, and in fact my favorite is actually 3, but people are really missing out not giving Mother a chance. There's nothing quite like it.

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Familial love... futurememory needs to download DQ5 already for some more of that :P.

Great thoughts on Mother 1! That is definitely a strong suit of the game, thinking about--hadn't thought along quite those lines!

vitormg

Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Finally completed Resonance of Fate after eight years and it still remains one of my top ten rpgs. That's not to say it can't be knocked out of it, but it just so much right for me. I've small qualms with it, but the last 10% of the game was completely My Thing. The aesthetic, the themes, the story, all of it from chapters 14-16 were great. I'd been a little worried for a while as I saw some people on GameFAQs(lol) say the game takes a dive in the 2nd half. Completely untrue. I'd also seen people complain about the ending being bad. Also 100% untrue. In a game that does so many things simply different from others, every piece was its own thing - including the ending. I might have a full write-up on it later as I put my thoughts together, but I was very happy with the ending. From the moment I set foot into the final dungeon to the last bullet fired to the lovely ~ FIN ~ after the credits.

I just started it myself and am really enjoying it. I'm only 6-7 hours in (going by my video capture since there is no in-game timer) and it's very fun. Combat has a learning curve but once you get it, it's pretty great. It requires some thought and effort into how you want your 'army' of sorts to be. Thankfully they're simple things that just need someone to tell you "Oh, try X or Y instead." It seems like it's easy to trap yourself into a dead end simply because something isn't properly explained to you (e.g. revival of unions/groups.)

The world is very interesting so far. I'm incredibly curious to learn more about these Remnants. The characters have been pretty great as well, with Rush being delightfully simple and not annoying. The soundtrack is top tier. I'm finding myself enjoying everything, especially the battle themes. I'm enjoying my time with it and can write up something more in-depth if you wanted some thoughts on someone new to the game. I'd tried to play it on PC before years ago but didn't stick with it for whatever reason. This time, I think I'm hooked.

I'm not sure? There was the RPG Club where we essentially selected a game out of a group of nominees and played it together for 4~6 weeks. It's been on hiatus for a little bit though as some things are changing with it. In the discord, we have a bit of a challenge to complete games and that's roughly halfway through.

I quite enjoyed your take on the ending. I'm glad you had fun with the game and shared your updates with us! As someone who recently beat it myself, it's great to see others go back and give it a look.

futurememory I'll give your write-up a read today! I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it!
Yeah, I was referring to the RPG club. Has it stopped? If it ever comes back I will be in

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Opa-Pa Sry, but I dropped mother 1 yesterday after reaching the 2nd factory, for the exact reasons why I wanted to skip the game in the first place.
I just can't stand this gameplay and there wasn't any story up to that point either.