• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Is PoE out on consoles yet? I feel like turn based combat will be much more manageable on consoles.
I......don't have high hopes we will see another PoE style game from Obsidian any time soon.

2019 for consoles is what I read.

I am hoping Obsidian will be big enough that they will still be able to make a PoE game as well as their AAA stuff, but I don't expect anything anytime soon. Well if they want to. I get the vibe that games like the Outer Worlds are more what they dream of making over something like PoE. Now that they have Microsoft money it is possible they won't look back.

With that said adding a turn-based mode for consoles makes infinitely more sense than what I was thinking and is probably at least something they would toy around with.

Last edited:

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
I also just (as in ten minutes ago) finished Mother, and MoonFrog has articulated beautifully why it's such a memorable, special ending. I feel a bit overwhelmed with emotion.

If anyone is interested in playing, I'd highly recommend that they go back and read Luminaire's lovely post here. It encapsulates a tremendous amount of why I loved playing this game so very, very much. This gorgeous thread by '3y Kingdom alerted me to the game several months ago. I had always wanted to play Earthbound, so when the Discord decided to do a backlog blitz, I placed that on my list. Lovely Opa-Pa recommended that I start with Mother first, and a couple of us started on the journey. I feel so lucky to have experienced the journey with not only Lumi and Moon, but Taborcarn and Thuddert as well. It's such a special, special game, and to have most of the Discord cheer us on and share in the emotional journey was something truly special.

I was perpetually impressed with the polish of the game. Its mission statement is so beautiful and relevant, especially in today's turbulent times. I could probably write paragraphs about how emotionally impactful the music is, how silly and endearingly quirky the characters are, how much of a sense of place this tiny world has. For my post, I'd like to dig a little bit into Magicant.

Magicant was the most emotionally beautiful place in the game for me. Even before I knew it was made of my great-grandmother's consciousness, it felt like a safe haven, a home. As one of the NPCs states in Queen Mary's throne room, "Everyone loves you here." And it's true. It feels like the warm embrace from a mother. It's a place where everyone knows what you need, where everyone heals you for free. There are Flying Men, and their sole purpose in life is to protect you. They'll die for you, without question. It's a place that you can come back to wherever you are in the game, and where you'll be welcomed with open arms. It doesn't exist on the map. It's almost a state of being.

It's only fitting, then, that Magicant ends up being a loving projection from your grandmother's consciousness. A grandmother that you've never met, but will protect you all the same. A woman, a mother, that scattered a beautiful, melancholic song to the ends of the earth, entrusting that journey to you. And entrusting that you'll be able to bring her to rest. To see Magicant dissolve, to never be able to go back, is a strong, strong grief.

There's so much familial love in Mother. From the simple meals your own mother in the game cooks for you, to EVE, the robot left by your grandfather that will follow you to the literal ends of the earth (or a mountain) out of simple devotion. And to use that love and devotion to "beat" the final boss and "win" the game is just stunning.

All this and it has an amazing sense of humor. I can't tell you how many times I literally clapped with delight at small little touches in the game. At tiny bits of smartly written, clever dialogue, at non-sequiturs and absurdist moments. And sometimes, sheer slapstick.

I highly recommend that anyone that has played Earthbound, or Undertale, or just love quirky, emotional games should play this. I can't wait to play the rest of the trilogy.
Thanks for the kind words. I can't believe I missed out on this group playthrough! I'll have to go back through the impressions and see how everyone liked it.

What a fantastic series of games.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I also just (as in ten minutes ago) finished Mother, and MoonFrog has articulated beautifully why it's such a memorable, special ending. I feel a bit overwhelmed with emotion.

If anyone is interested in playing, I'd highly recommend that they go back and read Luminaire's lovely post here. It encapsulates a tremendous amount of why I loved playing this game so very, very much. This gorgeous thread by '3y Kingdom alerted me to the game several months ago. I had always wanted to play Earthbound, so when the Discord decided to do a backlog blitz, I placed that on my list. Lovely Opa-Pa recommended that I start with Mother first, and a couple of us started on the journey. I feel so lucky to have experienced the journey with not only Lumi and Moon, but Taborcarn and Thuddert as well. It's such a special, special game, and to have most of the Discord cheer us on and share in the emotional journey was something truly special.

I was perpetually impressed with the polish of the game. Its mission statement is so beautiful and relevant, especially in today's turbulent times. I could probably write paragraphs about how emotionally impactful the music is, how silly and endearingly quirky the characters are, how much of a sense of place this tiny world has. For my post, I'd like to dig a little bit into Magicant.

Magicant was the most emotionally beautiful place in the game for me. Even before I knew it was made of my great-grandmother's consciousness, it felt like a safe haven, a home. As one of the NPCs states in Queen Mary's throne room, "Everyone loves you here." And it's true. It feels like the warm embrace from a mother. It's a place where everyone knows what you need, where everyone heals you for free. There are Flying Men, and their sole purpose in life is to protect you. They'll die for you, without question. It's a place that you can come back to wherever you are in the game, and where you'll be welcomed with open arms. It doesn't exist on the map. It's almost a state of being.

It's only fitting, then, that Magicant ends up being a loving projection from your grandmother's consciousness. A grandmother that you've never met, but will protect you all the same. A woman, a mother, that scattered a beautiful, melancholic song to the ends of the earth, entrusting that journey to you. And entrusting that you'll be able to bring her to rest. To see Magicant dissolve, to never be able to go back, is a strong, strong grief.

There's so much familial love in Mother. From the simple meals your own mother in the game cooks for you, to EVE, the robot left by your grandfather that will follow you to the literal ends of the earth (or a mountain) out of simple devotion. And to use that love and devotion to "beat" the final boss and "win" the game is just stunning.

All this and it has an amazing sense of humor. I can't tell you how many times I literally clapped with delight at small little touches in the game. At tiny bits of smartly written, clever dialogue, at non-sequiturs and absurdist moments. And sometimes, sheer slapstick.

I highly recommend that anyone that has played Earthbound, or Undertale, or just love quirky, emotional games should play this. I can't wait to play the rest of the trilogy.

OK I READ IT

I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's a very 'future' game with how quirky and positive and fun it is. It had a lot of emotional little things for me that I quite liked, though I think everything resonated with you and moon more strongly. I like how everyone has had their own emotional connection to it.

The Mother train was strong! Looking forward to the Earthbound train when we get there!

earthboundzero7.jpg

Yeah, I was referring to the RPG club. Has it stopped? If it ever comes back I will be in

FiveSide was mentioning there will be some changes to it if it does come back. I know we had some general concerns about participation and game selection. I think our current backlog blitz in the discord has kinda cannibalized the RPG Club in its current form. I'm sure it'll come back in a different form!

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
I also finished Mother 1 or more specifically EarthBound Beginnings (Wii U). Probably one of the greatest missed moments, as the entire game was translated and all. For the western version they even added a run button and the Magicant labyrinth was different. The titlescreen being EarthBound was also their original title, that was later reused for the western version of Mother 2. It being called EarthBound Beginnings gives a ring to the importance of it being to EarthBound. The mother series are games filled with warmth and I especially enjoyed seeing Opa-Pa trying to share the love of Mother. While its importance in the series is unquestionable, Mother 1 also has its own merits of playing.

Now for a bit of my own backstory. Prior to joining the mother train I had heard of EarthBound through smash, but this game never made it in Europe. So even if I knew some things about the Mother series, I never payed it much thought. Until a few years ago Nintendo dropped EarthBound on the WiiU virtual console and I started playing that. The game always knew exactly what to do to make me laugh. It felt heartwarming and immensely satisfying as I played along with the equally charming guide the game launched with. Just something about it that struck so close to home with me. After getting the credits, all the emotions I had burst out and I started crying. EarthBound immediately became one of my favorite games.

So when EarthBound Beginnings dropped on the WiiU as well, I just grabbed it immediately and started playing. It wasn't as good, but I was still having fun and making some progress bit by bit. The game became a bit too frustrating around the halfway mark and I dropped it for another game. A few years passed by and I felt ashamed I never gave the game another go. Just sitting there on the backlog pile. The rpg discord gave me a perfect opportunity to right this wrong! After all I had been enjoying DQ2, the game that inspired Itoi to make games in the first place. Loaded up my save to check up on where I was, back in Magicant. Literally had no idea where to go next, it had been quite a while after all. There I was, lost in the world, not on any map in the world... With some encouragement I restarted the game from the beginning.

This definitely turned out to be the right move. It felt like me revisiting an old cartoon show I used to watch, but never finished. I had a great time revisiting the early parts, trying to figure out what to do, what to get, where to go and how things worked. This actually took less time than I thought. The second half therefore felt fresh to me. There's just something about a kid going on a simple adventure, but also spooky shit happens. The imagination is a beautiful thing and makes it a much more magical game. Yeah, as a game it doesn't quite come together nicely, but it drives home a powerful message. The experimental and playful nature of the game is something I can appreciate. Bizarre things that happen during the game that make me chortle or sometimes just the stuff we shared together on discord while discussing thoughts. I don't think it's a coincidence we all enjoyed our time with Mother 1, the game just has that honest and sincere quality. Just that sometimes you have to dig a bit deeper to get that bone you want, while you share it with your friends.

For those that want to get into the mother series, definitely start here first. Do know that this game is over 30 years old and it's not the most polished game. However the horror stories about grinding and the insane encounter can be taken with some salt, I played the Wii U version and this was fine. There is some randomness involved even with using a repel ring, but for every stint where I would have two encounters two steps away I would get like 500 steps with no encounters at all. Randomness gives rise to both of these things after all. Now with the EZ ring you would gain more control and level faster. Still you gotta be ready for a diamond in rough.

I have some more things to say about the game and the lovely characters in the spoilers below. Seriously don't read if you haven't finished mother 1.

The entire second half of the game was seeing a darker side of PSI powers. Gigyas taking adults from kids and in the process creating a town full with lonely kids was just incredibly sad. However even with all that there were moments of joy and happiness. Making airplane rides just so I can ride a tank to crash it into a giant robot and explore a maze with monkeys. Nice try, Ape inc. Going through a swamp to find Lloyds dad in the trash can lol. The entire sequence with Teddy. The dancing omg. Lloyd coming to the rescue with a tank and then taking teddy's place. Nice callback to DQ2. Entire lab with a robot that just dies for you against another robot. Your great-grandfather telling your true purpose and your grandmother making magicant a safe place just for you, that then crumbles when you gather all her melodies.

Giygas being raised by a human family, but being tied to alien conventions set by Hollywood decides to destroy the earth. Then being countered by the same song he was raised by, just beautiful. Really shows how love triumphs logic at the right time.

The epilogue showing all the characters with text underneath was such a great way to finish it. Teddy taking up singing and maybe starting Queen (?). Lloyd being treated as a hero back at school. Ana reuniting with her parents, but promises to see you soon again. The parents of all the lonely kids returning. Lloyd getting a warm welcome back home and writing letters with Ana. Sorry, Pippi haha.

Then the credits roll with the train music and was convinced again how great the music has been in making the game feel good.

Of course I didn't forget about the best character in the game:

IMG_20181223_015135.jpg

The roles are reversed dad, now I'm going to sleep!

Thanks for reading this blurb and thanks to the the following members for making this game feel a bit more magical and fun! futurememory , MoonFrog , Luminaire , Taborcarn , Opa-Pa , FiveSide .

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I also finished Mother 1 or more specifically EarthBound Beginnings (Wii U). Probably one of the greatest missed moments, as the entire game was translated and all. For the western version they even added a run button and the Magicant labyrinth was different. The titlescreen being EarthBound was also their original title, that was later reused for the western version of Mother 2. It being called EarthBound Beginnings gives a ring to the importance of it being to EarthBound. The mother series are games filled with warmth and I especially enjoyed seeing Opa-Pa trying to share the love of Mother. While its importance in the series is unquestionable, Mother 1 also has its own merits of playing.

Now for a bit of my own backstory. Prior to joining the mother train I had heard of EarthBound through smash, but this game never made it in Europe. So even if I knew some things about the Mother series, I never payed it much thought. Until a few years ago Nintendo dropped EarthBound on the WiiU virtual console and I started playing that. The game always knew exactly what to do to make me laugh. It felt heartwarming and immensely satisfying as I played along with the equally charming guide the game launched with. Just something about it that struck so close to home with me. After getting the credits, all the emotions I had burst out and I started crying. EarthBound immediately became one of my favorite games.

So when EarthBound Beginnings dropped on the WiiU as well, I just grabbed it immediately and started playing. It wasn't as good, but I was still having fun and making some progress bit by bit. The game became a bit too frustrating around the halfway mark and I dropped it for another game. A few years passed by and I felt ashamed I never gave the game another go. Just sitting there on the backlog pile. The rpg discord gave me a perfect opportunity to right this wrong! After all I had been enjoying DQ2, the game that inspired Itoi to make games in the first place. Loaded up my save to check up on where I was, back in Magicant. Literally had no idea where to go next, it had been quite a while after all. There I was, lost in the world, not on any map in the world... With some encouragement I restarted the game from the beginning.

This definitely turned out to be the right move. It felt like me revisiting an old cartoon show I used to watch, but never finished. I had a great time revisiting the early parts, trying to figure out what to do, what to get, where to go and how things worked. This actually took less time than I thought. The second half therefore felt fresh to me. There's just something about a kid going on a simple adventure, but also spooky shit happens. The imagination is a beautiful thing and makes it a much more magical game. Yeah, as a game it doesn't quite come together nicely, but it drives home a powerful message. The experimental and playful nature of the game is something I can appreciate. Bizarre things that happen during the game that make me chortle or sometimes just the stuff we shared together on discord while discussing thoughts. I don't think it's a coincidence we all enjoyed our time with Mother 1, the game just has that honest and sincere quality. Just that sometimes you have to dig a bit deeper to get that bone you want, while you share it with your friends.

For those that want to get into the mother series, definitely start here first. Do know that this game is over 30 years old and it's not the most polished game. However the horror stories about grinding and the insane encounter can be taken with some salt, I played the Wii U version and this was fine. There is some randomness involved even with using a repel ring, but for every stint where I would have two encounters two steps away I would get like 500 steps with no encounters at all. Randomness gives rise to both of these things after all. Now with the EZ ring you would gain more control and level faster. Still you gotta be ready for a diamond in rough.

I have some more things to say about the game and the lovely characters in the spoilers below. Seriously don't read if you haven't finished mother 1.

The entire second half of the game was seeing a darker side of PSI powers. Gigyas taking adults from kids and in the process creating a town full with lonely kids was just incredibly sad. However even with all that there were moments of joy and happiness. Making airplane rides just so I can ride a tank to crash it into a giant robot and explore a maze with monkeys. Nice try, Ape inc. Going through a swamp to find Lloyds dad in the trash can lol. The entire sequence with Teddy. The dancing omg. Lloyd coming to the rescue with a tank and then taking teddy's place. Nice callback to DQ2. Entire lab with a robot that just dies for you against another robot. Your great-grandfather telling your true purpose and your grandmother making magicant a safe place just for you, that then crumbles when you gather all her melodies.

Giygas being raised by a human family, but being tied to alien conventions set by Hollywood decides to destroy the earth. Then being countered by the same song he was raised by, just beautiful. Really shows how love triumphs logic at the right time.

The epilogue showing all the characters with text underneath was such a great way to finish it. Teddy taking up singing and maybe starting Queen (?). Lloyd being treated as a hero back at school. Ana reuniting with her parents, but promises to see you soon again. The parents of all the lonely kids returning. Lloyd getting a warm welcome back home and writing letters with Ana. Sorry, Pippi haha.

Then the credits roll with the train music and was convinced again how great the music has been in making the game feel good.

Of course I didn't forget about the best character in the game:

IMG_20181223_015135.jpg

The roles are reversed dad, now I'm going to sleep!

Thanks for reading this blurb and thanks to the the following members for making this game feel a bit more magical and fun! futurememory , MoonFrog , Luminaire , Taborcarn , Opa-Pa , FiveSide .

This was great! Thank you for joining in with us! I'm hopeful we'll get another game that everyone has kind of had on the back of their mind and thought to give another shot someday, something that people will just start playing and talking about and inviting/encouraging others to join in.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
This post ended up kind of rambling btw, sorry but I'm not going to edit it around to making better sense :P :

This was great! Thank you for joining in with us! I'm hopeful we'll get another game that everyone has kind of had on the back of their mind and thought to give another shot someday, something that people will just start playing and talking about and inviting/encouraging others to join in.

It was like an impromptu mini-RPG club thing, which speaks to the charm of the club. I participated in about half of the clubs we ran, although I didn't finish every game I joined in for (looking at you Ultima VII).

The problem of the club is, well, lack of participation. I think the Backlog Blitz idea tackles that in two ways: 1) choose your own games and 2) open time-frame. It is also a more social event in the sense that when something like the Mother 1 train comes together (over time) it is about people explicitly wanting to play the game together and/or interact with the people who just played it because they are curious about the things they've said.

I think Blitz also works well when people are just doing their own thing: e.g. when I was playing TitS SC I got a lot of support from Thuddert, Seda, and preta who had played the game before as well as from people just reading my little nothings about the game and joking around with me about them (even without playing the game now or in the past!). The point is the Blitz provides an organized channel to talk about these games, even if you are playing alone and whether or not people have played the game before you. (And even if you didn't even put it on your Blitz!)

The club also has a further appeal, namely community outreach. It is accessible to the entire forum (well so is the discord but that's a further choice and a platform people may not find their way to and may not enjoy). It is meant to encourage Era as a whole to look again (or for a first time) at some games they should play, especially underappreciated gems.

This is relevant: Part of the ongoing issue with "the thread's dead, Jim" and part of why we're making an effort to post in here more is that, well, the discord is tighter knit--which is great but also means that some voices are lost along the way, and, well, the thread was intended to be as much of an RPG melting-pot as Era could support. This is also why we did things like roughly alternate between JRPG and CRPG wrt the club, as I understand it.

As I said above, I failed at playing Ultima VII. Moreover, I barely started Vampire. Further, I didn't even try Shadowrun. I personally have a particularly bad track-record with the club and CRPG. I've always enjoyed the CRPG conversation in here and tried to encourage it just short of actually engaging in the genre myself (i.e. the most important thing :P). That conversation is one of the bigger losses moving to the discord, and moving from the club to the blitz. (although the Blitz produced Taborcarn 's BG2 playthrough!) Personally, I'm going to try again next Blitz period but, well, we'll see given my track record :P.

In any case, I appreciate engagement in this thread--I'm really glad to see people still around despite the slowing and glad to see people from the discord coming back here to post.

Last edited:

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Historically, I've never liked first person combat. I've never been a fan of dungeon RPGs either. I've not been thrilled with the 3DS (cramps my hands).

So.

I bought a grip for my 3DS and it's actually pretty nice. Fairly cheap. Fatal flaw to it is that the stylus can't be taken out without taking the grip off but whatever!
https://www.amazon.com/eForBuddy-At...F8&qid=1545600089&sr=8-4&keywords=3ds+xl+grip

It suits my needs. It was also $5 when I bought it.

I also bought Etrian Odyssey IV for fairly cheap ($13!)
I played it a bit before bed last night and just wanted to post my initial impressions of the first hour and some change.

So far, it's pretty interesting. The story doesn't seem to be a big draw to this game, but that's ok because I'm building my own little backstories in my head for the members of my guild. Combat seems pretty good, but I'll wait until I get more abilities and tools at my disposal before critiquing it. I will say I do like how strategic I can be with things. I'm looking forward to wrecking enemies with status ailments and exploiting weaknesses. The music is nice so far, and I do like the map stuff. Mapping everything out myself is kind of nice, and it makes it feel like an extra little sense of accomplishment.

It's a game I'll play in short increments, typically on lunch or before bed.

Otherwise, I'm still going through The Last Remnant and enjoying it a lot. I'll have some more in-depth thoughts on it later. Trails in the Sky FC is benched for a little, though I'm eager to get back to it. I just needed a break from quest boards while playing Resonance of Fate at the same time. I don't think I'll finish anything else in 2018, but who knows!

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
I finished my read-through of the first four Raymond Feist books in the Riftwar Cycle, so last night I started a playthrough of Betrayal at Krondor (since that is the point in the timeline where the game takes place).

And wow, after marathoning those books it's hard for me to imagine people having played the game without reading them first. From the very start you're immersed in the setting, from the locations of LaMut and Krondor and the characters mentioned like Pug, Arutha, and the Moredhel. Just looking at the map I'm traveling through and knowing that the Mordhel army had mounted a campaign and razed a path from Sar Sargoth to Sethanon, and Prince Arutha had survived an attempted assassination at Sarth while on his search for Silverthorn.

I'm only 2 hours in but I'm hooked by the setting. The super-low-poly first-person exploration, not so much. But that's something I can grow to get used to.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Started playing Digital Devil Saga for the blitz. The first area is the most smt with training wheels on the games got haha.

I'm not expecting that to continue throughout the game. Still kinda figuring things about the mechanics. The vibe is a bit more spiritual, whereas Nocturne had more punk otherworld feel. Music also is a lot more chill, despite people going around devouring other people.

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
Does Earthbound Beginnings on the Wii U have that dark color filter? The eShop screenshots are certainly darker

Also backlog blitz? I should log into Discord more often

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I also ended up running through Mother. I had played the game before but only got as far as the Zoo when I played it and wasn't really into it at the time but thought I'd give it another try. I have played Earthbound and Mother 3 (although I never finished Mother 3, need to do that at some point) so I'm quite familiar with the series and I enjoyed the game. I don't think I enjoyed it as much as some of the others have in part because many of the things this game does (like the funny situations, enemy designs, ect) are all in the later games as well so it wasn't new to me like it was for some of you guys. That said, it was really cool to see where a lot of it started and oddly enough how much they used when making Earthbound from enemy designs to NPC models you can really tell they went for a very unique feeling right from the get go with this game.

I was hoping for more story overall I only went to two of the towns one time and didn't do much of anything there. There were some interesting moments and I liked much of the game regardless but I feel like the narrative could've had a bigger impact. Theres a lot you can read between the lines but if it had been better presented could've made the story flow a bit better and have a stronger impact in the more important scenes to the end. I also didn't really understand the point of Teddy, hes not with you for very long and felt rather forced into the story without much of any impact or importance. He was fun to use being so much stronger then Lloyd but in terms of the story he enters into it too late and isn't even with you all that long. I guess I just felt he was unnecessary.

The final arc of the game was really strong. I was quite happy to see the difficulty really dial it up a notch (a single Grizzley wiped my party after I had generally been on auto pilot for most of the game) and its where things really start to come together in the story. It's an interesting story that I think the others have touched on rather well and frankly if the game ever gets a proper remake of some kind I really hope they flesh it out a bit more. Theres a lot to really like about the story and characters but it needs more going on across the entire journey. I mean granted this is an NES game so compared to some other games at the time its really impressive for what it is which is why I'd like to see more of it is what I guess I'm trying to say XD

I do have to say that one thing I really did like about this game compared to the rest of the series was Magicant and going to spoiler tag this part to be safe...

Magicant is really unique in a lot of ways. It serves as a sort of hub you can retreat to whenever you need things and it also sells the best armors in the game and gives you access to everything you might need from saving the game, to having an atm, to item storage, not to mention some unique shops that sell stuff you just can't find anywhere else. On top of that its so uniquely designed with a ton of interesting characters you don't see anywhere else on top of that the importance of the story is really done well here.

I loved that after acquiring all of the melodies you return to the Queen and learn she is your Great Grandmother and that she created this place entirely for you which is why everyone there is so nice and helpful to you. However its at the same time that when this happens Maria finally passes on and joins her Husband and Magicant disappears. This is a sad moment but also a very symbolic one. Magicant is your safety net for much of the game, most I would say had to use the Onyx Hook at one point or another to treat after a character or two died in battle but it disappearing along with Maria and its helpful citizens is the game telling you that... You don't need it anymore, you don't need them anymore. You've grown up and don't need those safety nets anymore, you are ready to stand up on your own and face the final conflict without them. Its... about growing up in many ways which I thought was exceptionally powerful and something I think could have an even stronger impact if it was expanded on if the game ever gets a proper remake.

This series in general really knows how to tug at the heartstrings in very unique ways which I think is why its beloved by so many. I'm really glad I played through this game now and I feel like I'll likely replay Earthbound when everyone else on the discord does as well!

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Great write-up Novel Mike ! Glad you joined us on the Mother train.

I finished my read-through of the first four Raymond Feist books in the Riftwar Cycle, so last night I started a playthrough of Betrayal at Krondor (since that is the point in the timeline where the game takes place).

And wow, after marathoning those books it's hard for me to imagine people having played the game without reading them first. From the very start you're immersed in the setting, from the locations of LaMut and Krondor and the characters mentioned like Pug, Arutha, and the Moredhel. Just looking at the map I'm traveling through and knowing that the Mordhel army had mounted a campaign and razed a path from Sar Sargoth to Sethanon, and Prince Arutha had survived an attempted assassination at Sarth while on his search for Silverthorn.

I'm only 2 hours in but I'm hooked by the setting. The super-low-poly first-person exploration, not so much. But that's something I can grow to get used to.

This looks bizarre! The first thing I think of is walking into people LARPing.

300px-Betrayal_at_Krondor.jpg

I'm looking forward to your notes/write-ups/progress as this is something I've never heard of.

Started playing Digital Devil Saga for the blitz. The first area is the most smt with training wheels on the games got haha.

I'm not expecting that to continue throughout the game. Still kinda figuring things about the mechanics. The vibe is a bit more spiritual, whereas Nocturne had more punk otherworld feel. Music also is a lot more chill, despite people going around devouring other people.

I recently bought Nocturne and both DDS games (well, earlier this year) and am looking forward to playing them!

Does Earthbound Beginnings on the Wii U have that dark color filter? The eShop screenshots are certainly darker

Also backlog blitz? I should log into Discord more often

Thuddert might know since he played on Wii U. I think most of us did GBA.

Also, the blitz is a little program we made to encourage people to clear out their horrifically monumental backlogs. We've seen a lot of progress so far! If my counts are correct and peoples lists are updated... we should be at 39 games completed.

DN0sBnrWAAI-cYe.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These are a lot of thoughts and responses about Mother 1. Feel free to read all, none, or part:
Finished Mother 1 last night:

It is good.

The ending is beautiful. Struggling to stay alive while steadfastly singing the lullaby in the face of unmitigated violence. This wasn't just "sing and then the evil barrier was dispelled," it was a fight where endurance and singing were the entirety of the fight. I died the first time I tried it. The second time, I was better prepared: PSI shield did mitigate the damage going out while Defense-up did not; I needed to use an item on Ana after the first turn; Lloyd needed to guard the next turn; then I could maintain a holding pattern with Ana spamming life-up pi while Ninten and Lloyd sang their hearts out. Eventually this holding pattern decayed and Ana could do a couple single heals while Lloyd could use a couple items but mostly they just all needed to Sing whenever possible. I beat him the turn before my team-mates were going to start falling.

I also want to touch on this boss relative to my comment above about the voice of Mother 1 and its depiction of people as idiosyncratic and at-a-distance from each other, somewhat trapped in their own strange worlds. Bonds are a magic that reach across and transcend this barrier, or at least so attempt. Giygas/Giegue, his narrative and his battle, is the epitome of this idea. Namely he has come to destroy the Earth because the man who raised him fled back there with forbidden knowledge: some insane, idiosyncratic genocidal code of punishment is to be wrought against the people and person (in Ninten if he does not stand down) of those Giegue professes to love as his own parents. Maria's loving lullaby moreover is fractured as her heart at what Giegue has become and the divide between him and George. The game progresses, along one line, through reconstructing said lullaby and then singing it to Giegue to send him away.

Giegue always flinched at the lullaby. And he flinches and runs from it in terror promising revenge. This isn't the usual "bonds" ending. Rather it is Giegue simultaneously recognizing the love, feeling it, and recoiling from it to promise that he will carry out his demented, unfeeling, over-targeted revenge another day (in Mother 2). This mixed relationship with the lullaby comes out in the mechanics of the fight laid out above: It isn't as simple as expressing the bond. The song acts as both love and damage and there is a definite barrier it must overcome to reach Giegue.

Also on this theme, I want to talk about Ninten/Ana. Their love is strange: namely Ana claims to have loved Ninten since she saw him in her dream and their is very little conversation between the pair, at least as relayed to the player. Instead their relationship is this strange pre-ordained bond and the strange struggles they put forward together in their efforts to stop a lurking, unknown threat (Giegue). It speaks again to "magic" in bonds, namely that they have an inexplicable nature. There is another side to this: the music, the dance, the blushing, the letters, etc. It is all moving, heartwarming, and cute. It may be strange, the people involved may be themselves strange, but there is a simple heartwarming magic in it.

(Similarly, the love of Giegue is strange: George and Maria ended up at the end of the universe far distant from their home and their kind and yet they took it upon themselves to adopt an alien child and try and raise it and love it as their own.)

I wrote about Magicant above, but other miscellaneous examples of the sort of thing I am talking about are:

-The father only communicating to Ninten over the phone
-The Mayor using Ninten selfishly and not even paying him the second time! He's sending the boy out to fight Zombies and Wild animals!
-The various sorts of crazy NPCs, from zombies to gangsters to telepathic babies to people just saying things like "Don't treat me like some ordinary man, even though I am one" or "Don't ask me anymore questions or I am going to cry!"

This is a game where you try and help this demented and unruly populace and moreover save them by singing your heart out to reach another, twisted heart.

I think this speaks profoundly to the human condition--at least as I have experienced it--by putting it all into stark relief and letting little say much: We are crazy and therein lie our demons, our sadness, our charms, and our joy. Love seeks to transcend the boundaries of our own personal foibles and bring us together, to cherish our demented hearts. It is powerful, wonderful, and, perhaps, frightening but also strange. Or, simply put, Magic.
I agree and I think that part of Mother's insight, not just in this first game but in the series as a whole, is recognizing that even seemingly simplistic truisms as "battle" and "attack" are merely relative concepts that are inextricably linked with other elements of life/reality/the human condition in a nebulous ball of experience where everything blends into one another. The discrete signifiers - the words, the phrases, the concepts even - through which these abstract feelings manifest are entirely inadequate to fully capture them. In other words - to speak on the end of Mother 1 specifically, and the song used in the final battle - the "attack" on Giygas is not as simple as just saying "Giygas was attacked by the song," but rather the song is a symbol of the whole mosaic of experience and meaning that produces a strange, complicated effect on Giygas and thus "attacks" it in a way that we wouldn't conventionally consider an "attack," or even an aggressive action at all. As you point out, it is precisely the link between other concepts such as love and family, signified by this song, that produce feelings of regret or discomfort that "attack" Giygas more effectively than hitting it with a bat or firing magic at it. The signifier "attack" is insufficient to describe what is happening, as is the entire concept of there being a "battle"; the language itself fails to capture the nuance of the signified concepts, if indeed they are "concepts" at all and not merely inscrutable germs of thought and feeling at their most basic level.

I don't mean to add unnecessary gobbledygook to the discussion, but this is a large part of the reason I've often said that the Mother series are fascinating poststructuralist works, as they spend a really massive amount of time essentially critiquing the codification of concepts into discrete words or phrases, poking fun at the inherent contradictions of the words we use relative to the ideas that are meant to be expressed. In Mother there is very little that is actually left undisturbed and taken for granted; instead the games spend a lot of effort lampooning the assumptions of language and social concepts until there is a sort of tongue-in-cheek wasteland left where everything feels irreverent and sardonic because we've spent so much time chuckling at the hypocrisies and frailties of human communication. It is also for this reason, though, that the better qualities of humanity are so memorable in the Mother games, because they shine even brighter in an environment where everything other than pure expressions of love are toppled over to reveal how artificial they are.

To circle back around to what you've said about the final boss of Mother 1, that deeper understanding of the nuances and apparent contradictions of these concepts is what drives the significance of the Giygas "fight." What does this song mean to Giygas? It stopped the alien as surely as any conventional attack would, and it probably inflicted pain as well. But what kind of pain? What kind of happiness, even? I love how...bizarre the fight ends up being, as if Giygas itself can't really figure out what the effect of the song is. Perhaps we are even meant to sympathize with Giygas, since we also tend to flee from complicated emotions that don't fit squarely into our linguistic concepts. Especially when the total effect of those emotions is to make us feel frustration at doing something that feels wrong, and yet we've talked ourselves into believing that it is in fact the right thing to do. The song must be sung until it breaks though that artifice of self-righteousness and reaches Giygas at its most vulnerable, innermost self.

You mentioned distance as well, which I think is another fascinating way Mother 1 conveys the inadequacy of words and linguistic concepts. What does "distance" even mean relative to the expression of love? Is a love conveyed over a phone in any way different from a love conveyed through dance, or through letters, or through child-rearing, or through holding hands? They are all fundamentally love and yet they achieve a sort of artificial nuance when they are filtered through the concept of distance - perhaps a love through a telephone is "understood" to be inferior in some way to a love through physical contact? This assumption is entirely artificial though, and Mother 1 rebuts it by saving the world through the off-kilter love of a genocidal alien soldier to its adopted parents from another world, in the farthest reaches of space. Suddenly love expressed from the other side of a telephone doesn't seem so far away after all!

I hope that you play Mother 3 soon. All of these games work well standalone, but they have a broader effect taken all together that is very memorable and excellent. The three of them are my favorite gaming trilogy by far.

Magicant was one of my favorite sections of Mother 1 as well. Above, responding to MoonFrog, I mentioned how these games spend a lot of time parsing through our language and our social concepts in order to arrive at a clearer understanding of the underlying ideas and emotions. Magicant is a great example of how that works in reverse as well, and the games use these same structures in order to evoke a more abstract, ephemeral concept. After all, a video game by nature is highly structural, governed by gameplay systems, rules, and concrete code executions. In this case, it is a great-grandmother's love (or more broadly, familial love in general) that is conveyed - a love that is universal ("Everyone loves you here"), unconditional (free healing), and uncompromising (the Flying Men, who will protect and even die for you). None of this is directly stated, and yet it is felt, emerging as a sort of vague emotional sensation from our perception of how these discrete systems and mechanics interact with us. This sort of emotional conveyance is so fascinating because it is essentially unique to games, and it most closely adheres to how we perceive abstract human concepts, in real life, through the effect of interlocking social and natural systems on ourselves and those around us. The Mother series does a wonderful job with this form of "storytelling" in all three of the games, so I think you will enjoy the others as well (for other reasons besides this too, of course!).
It's also been quite fun to remember things from the game from reading all these impressions and realizing the parallels with Dragon Quest, which I got into only recently. I think it resembles DQ2 the most (no surprise there since I found out recently it's directly inspired by it). With DQ2 I really enjoyed how it feels so innocent and cute, same with how DQ in general feels sincere and honest in a way, and Mother 1 really nails all that and makes me feel similarly, though it's still its very own thing.
I think one of the most interesting things you can do as an RPG fan is to play both Dragon Quest and Mother, and consider the differences and similarities between them. DQ has been massively influential on JRPGs as a whole, but there is this certain something about Mother that simultaneously makes it feel the most like DQ, and also arguably the most different. And I don't mean this in terms of the gameplay mechanics themselves, which in Mother 1 are fairly derivative, and in EarthBound/Mother 3 expand somewhat into their own distinct thing - but I mean moreso the writing.

This is something that we've all often discussed on the discord server: one of DQ's best qualities is how understated and nuanced the writing is. The games often operate under the trappings of a classical adventure story while subtly conveying shades of much deeper characterization or themes. This recurring storytelling style speaks to Horii's talent as a writer mostly, but it also provides an interesting contrast to Itoi's work in Mother, which has a correspondingly incisive intelligence behind it, but hides under the veneer of quirky parody/satire rather than classical adventure. I'd say that both writers share a common fascination with the "quiet" moments of existence where the little foibles and idiosyncrasies of one's private life come to the fore, and that both writers use a sweeping adventure merely as a framework for uncovering these little moments and commenting on them in a gentle, suggestive way and without digging too much into concrete details or purple prose. But despite these similarities, I think the biggest difference between them lies in the intent behind the writing: Horii strikes me more as someone interested in capturing these little moments, preserving them in a pithy form over and over again throughout the adventure, while Itoi is instead more concerned with caricaturing them in a way where, through the lens of the caricature, we glimpse the real idea behind the symbol. Itoi's style is arguably more interesting in the video game format, since video games themselves are inherently an abstraction of reality through the lens of a computed simulation; but both are equally effective.

At any rate, while the mechanical/design influence of Dragon Quest on the Mother series is apparent and well-discussed, I think the more interesting link between the two is the style of writing that they share, and also how the execution of that style differs between the two authors (who are both very talented, make no mistake, and two of the best in the entire industry).

That absurd side of Mother (Lloyd's dad just chilling in this trash can in a swamp...) is so important because I think that that absurdity is partially why the more heartfelt, sincere moments land so beautifully. As a few people have already mentioned in here, the way that the Mother games balance this absurdity with this sincerity is masterful and it establishes a tone of exuburent, irreverent humor plastered over a core that can be dark and uncomfortable, and beneath that an even more foundational core that is instead warm and inviting, and consists of the love that powers the whole machine (even the darker parts of it - after all, one of the biggest themes of the Mother trilogy is that all experiences are connected, and that all emotions flow in some way into one another). I think this tone works because it's arguably the tone of real life - sometimes sad, sometimes happy, and usually funny if you stop to think about it. The absurdities in Mother aren't non sequiturs; they're just the absurdities we see every day, except writ large and caricatured into a cartoonish extreme that nevertheless clearly reflects the underlying subject.

One of my favorite examples of that is the Pencil and the Pencil Eraser in EarthBound. We all know how it feels to come across a scenario, especially with software, where someone clearly had a solution first and then made a problem to justify the solution's existence. Blowing this up ad absurdum into a massive pencil that requires the suspiciously specific Pencil Eraser to get past immediately triggers that feeling and serves as a source both of humor and of bemusement at how strange life can be. The added flourish of using an eraser not on the pencil's writing, but rather on the pencil itself, is just another layer on that satire that makes too much sense in the way much of Itoi's writing does.
I loved that after acquiring all of the melodies you return to the Queen and learn she is your Great Grandmother and that she created this place entirely for you which is why everyone there is so nice and helpful to you. However its at the same time that when this happens Maria finally passes on and joins her Husband and Magicant disappears. This is a sad moment but also a very symbolic one. Magicant is your safety net for much of the game, most I would say had to use the Onyx Hook at one point or another to treat after a character or two died in battle but it disappearing along with Maria and its helpful citizens is the game telling you that... You don't need it anymore, you don't need them anymore. You've grown up and don't need those safety nets anymore, you are ready to stand up on your own and face the final conflict without them. Its... about growing up in many ways which I thought was exceptionally powerful and something I think could have an even stronger impact if it was expanded on if the game ever gets a proper remake.
I agree with this and I think it's a plot point that works on multiple levels. As you say, it is a broader metaphor for growing up, for leaving the nest and venturing into a world where the danger is real and not simply a boogeyman that can be escaped from, at any time, by retreating into the loving arms of an understanding family. And I think it also works to add more nuance, more emotion, into Giygas' feelings about hearing the melody in the final battle. We spend a lot of time in Mother 1 exploring the world and subsequently returning to Magicant, constantly reinforcing the value of and affection towards this familial love. This emphasis on making us feel, in the game itself, the effects of familial love (as symbolized through Magicant itself and all the bundle of game mechanics that come along with it) makes us understand what Giygas feels when it hears the melody. Giygas' Magicant was its time with George and, more specifically, with Maria. The Melody is to Giygas what the Magicant music is to us: a talisman calling to mind a place of pure love, pure joy, and pure innocence. The triumph that saves the world arguably isn't our own at all, but rather our Great Grandmother's, and Maria's; in this final battle we share our mutual experience of pure motherly love with Giygas, and it relents - because it, too, had a mother that sung it a lullaby. It is a really wonderful setup that speaks to the thematic cohesion of the game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If consoles get an exclusive TB-mode after I just bought PoE2 on PC, I will be very salty lol.

So it sounds like reading the books first is definitely contributing quite a bit to the experience. I was almost hoping it wouldn't, because now I feel like I should read them too before I replay Krondor...but at the same time that's awesome that you can fall right into place from the get-go and not have to do that initial legwork to figure out where these places are, why they're important, etc. I imagine it's the same effect you'd have it you read the Witcher books before playing the games (which I also considered doing, but man that's a lot of pages...)

And yea...Krondor may not win any awards for its graphics aging gracefully lol. But I think that beneath that coat of paint, the core is pretty solid once you get into the swing of it.
So I'm curious, especially in times where pretty much every game out there incorporates some RPG elements, what makes a game an "RPG" anymore for you?
I just beat Mutant Year Zero and while most people would describe the game as "XCOM with a duck" it's much more "Wasteland 2 without out-of-combat stuff" to me. You have a squad of 5 named characters, you level up, get skill points and new skills, get new weapons out of chests, combat is turn based, you have buffs and debuffs etc pp. So it shares a lot of similarities with RPGs (and is based on a popular RPG rule set) but I don't think many people (including me) would consider it an RPG. I think for me it's the lack of dialogue and - as mentioned - out of combat scenarios but then again I would consider Dark Souls an RPG and that also lacks those options. So it's really just a gut feeling for me.

Now obviously genres are completely meaningless anyway, I just thought it would be interesting to hear what makes a game an "RPG" for instead of a "game with RPG elements"
With the caveat that you've already mentioned that genres are completely meaningless anyway - personally what I consider an "RPG" is sort of similar to what Sinatar posted about character sheets, but a bit more abstract.

I consider a game an "RPG" if the primary form of character progression lies in the stats, equipment, and abilities of the character, rather than in my own skill. So for instance:

(1) In Dragon Quest, I can certainly get better at the game in terms of understanding the systems better and developing better strategy, but ultimately my characters' progression through the game relies on their stats increasing, their equipment getting better, the fact that they gain more spells, etc. - I, myself, can't single-handedly get better at the game and thus progress through it in that manner. So it's an RPG to me.

(2) In Dark Souls, while the character has stats and equipment etc., I can ultimately proceed through the game almost entirely based on developing my own skill as a player. Beating the game at level 1 is possible and actually not too difficult once you know what you're doing and have the muscle memory/experience playing the game. My success in battle relies largely on my own dexterity/execution as a player. So I do not consider this an RPG. (And that is true, by the way - I don't consider the Souls games true RPGs, not like it matters though so whatever).

This vague categorization all comes from tabletop RPGs. In tabletop RPGs, I make decisions and roll the dice, but ultimately the success of any given battle, or any given progression of battles throughout a campaign, is based pretty overwhelmingly on my stats, my equipment, my abilities, and so forth. It's not like I can "roll the dice better" or influence the outcome of a fight through my own physical skill; I just make the decisions and then let the character do their thing while hoping luck is in my favor. Since combat is usually the primary method of progressing through critical points in a RPG campaign, I don't consider games that allow me to "cheese" past combat using my own skill as a player to be RPGs. They may capture other strengths of RPGs like choice and consequence storytelling or comprehensive world-building, but they're still action games with RPG elements.

So where does this leave something like Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, where it has real-time combat where I have to aim and use my own dexterity, but otherwise it looks, sounds, and feels like an RPG? Well...it doesn't leave it anywhere, really. But the problem with genre classifications is that there will always, ALWAYS be border cases that make any system look stupid - which is why genre classifications in this context are pointless in the first place, other than occupying the first 10 pages of the essentials thread every damn time.
Yeah, I was referring to the RPG club. Has it stopped? If it ever comes back I will be in
The backlog blitz program in the RPG discord is going pretty well, so I'm still trying to figure out how/if the club will coexist alongside that, and what changes should be made to it, if any (there will be at least some for sure). I've been thinking about this for a while and I'll start discussing it more soon since the new year is coming up.

In the meantime, some members have coordinated playing backlog titles together through the blitz program in the Discord, so you can join us in there if you're not there already. Let me know if you need an invite.
As someone who doesn't typically play jrpgs, I just finished Final Fantasy 7 for the first time on PS4. I enjoyed it quite a bit! I liked the mechanics: I was overwhelmed with the amount of Materia choices, which I think is a good thing. I liked the cast of characters for the most part and thought their moment to moment dialogue was pretty interesting. I appreciated the overall narrative and exposition dumps but I think I dug the moment to moment interactions most. I didn't lean on the quality of life cheats too, too much but I did become accustomed to the fast forward feature. I thought it was nice to include. This is the second rpg for me to finish in 2018, Ni No Kuni 2 being the first.

Now, I don't want to go for the platinum just yet. I'd like to add another rpg to pick away at from my backlog. I'm staring at a few and have basically got to the first save point on each and I'm still having cold feet. Here's what I'm considering next now:

Persona 5 - this looks and sounds incredible. The hours required to finish it is my main deterrent. Also, I have access to persona 3-4 on digital via ps3, which are also in my backlog...

Final Fanrasy VIII - the divided community and leveling system seems odd.

Final Fantasy IX - Another ps1 on PS4 romp. It may feel fatiguing after coming straight off VII.

Final Fantasy X Remaster - I've already completed it once on Ps2. Seems like a bit of a time waste with so much in my backlog.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age - I'm sort of in the dark on this one but I know it's generally loved. I thought it looked great on the PS4.

Dragon Quest XI - I bought this on sale and I don't know enough about it. The only main complaint I've seen is the soundtrack, which is something that really stood out to me as a big positive in FF7.

Octopath Traveler - I have other sprite based games in my backlog that I need to get to, including FFVI and Chrono Trigger. I'm not sure if this should be my next. I know I need to finish those two especially on my bucket list but I'm looking to play something not strictly sprite based right now.
Nice avatar, also this is a great set of games so you won't go wrong with any of them. If you plan on playing the Persona games though, I do recommend potentially looking into playing P3 and P4 before P5. P5 adds a lot of QoL features that can make going backwards difficult, as opposed to playing them in release order.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6137

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing The Witcher EE. I've never played the first game, despite liking both T32 and TW3. Two days, 8 hours played. I really like it so far, despite not loving the combat.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing The Witcher EE. I've never played the first game, despite liking both T32 and TW3. Two days, 8 hours played. I really like it so far, despite not loving the combat.

Nice. Really like the first Witcher game. Prefer it to the second game even.

Out of interest: What camera are you playing it? A lot of people I talked to played it in the 3rd person view and complained about the combat. There is an isometric view available which makes it a lot better.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finished Phantasy Star today (right in time for Christmas dinner!) in its Sega Ages release and it was quite neat! I never had much interest in the series, but lately some people from the RPG community here got me curious and a lot of them bought the game on Switch so I thought why not, I did classic Dragon Quest recently after all.

First impression was strong, I loved the in-game art like some of the cutscenes and those fantastic enemy sprites and battle backgrounds. I always forget how awesome the Master System is and how colorful some of its games can be. The first person scrolling was quite impressive too, and yeah dungeons are absurdly samey but I dug them thanks to the music (FM all the way) and the resource management aspect of the game that I always enjoy in older JRPGs.

Story wasn't particularly interesting (maybe due to the average at best localization?) but I didn't mind. The space travel aspect and having three different planets to explore was pretty ambitious and surprisingly well realized for such an old game.

I didn't like how 90% of the NPCs only existed to give you hints on what to do, but at least they were useful. Still there were a couple of standouts, like the Sega fanatic girl.

AGES mode helped streamline the game a lot, to the point it didn't feel as old as it could have. It was mostly little annoyances like not having a storage to dump some redundant key items, B not always equaling Cancel, etc, but quite manageable all things considered.

Overall a pretty enjoyable experience and I'm looking forward to try the sequels. I hope M2 ports them all, but if not I'll go ahead and play them somewhere else. I think a couple are included in some Genesis collections I own.

Btw FiveSide that was quite a read. I don't have much to add but it's always very insightful to read your thoughts on games I love (and any game really). Also props to Thuddert for beating Mother too and sharing his experience with the series so far :tama: I mentioned it to him but I had totally missed he was already an Earthbound fan and that it's one of his favorites, that's awesome.

Deleted member 6137

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice. Really like the first Witcher game. Prefer it to the second game even.

Out of interest: What camera are you playing it? A lot of people I talked to played it in the 3rd person view and complained about the combat. There is an isometric view available which makes it a lot better.
I've tried both cameras but settled on 3rd person mode. It's working well enough. The game also looks better than I was expecting.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Morrowind and finally started ELEX on PC. 10 hours in and I already love it. Coming from Gothic 3 which I finished earlier this year it doesn't even feel that janky, haha. But I grew up with these games and I can handle it. Finally a good quest-log and markers and a useful map. It's a big QOL improvement for me. But WTF are those menues. Horrible. It's worse and even more convoluted than TES: Oblivion.

And oh yeah, still working on Divinity 2. Have to finish that one before diving into Pillars of Eternity 2 which I have very high hopes for. PoE 1 is my favorite CRPG since Baldur's Gate 2.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
So I started Emerald Dragon yesterday--about 6 hours in now. Just got to a story-line about a dark crystal. Playing the SNES version, with the fan translation.

I'm enjoying myself. The dialogue is punchy and to the point. It reminds me a lot of Phantasy Star IV in this regard: the game conveys personality and interpersonal dynamics strongly but also concisely. So far there has been a shifting cast and there's always been something to grab onto about the characters. It also has some nice features wrt characterization, e.g. optional character scenes in inn rooms and party chat. Party chat doesn't seem to change that often and often repeats conversations--its purpose seems to be mostly as a refresher as to where you are supposed to go rather than optional dialogue--but at other times it gives more view points or detail than in the primary scenes.

This is a stranger comparison but I am also getting some Silmarillion vibes: Demon armies roving around relatively freely with mankind living a marginal life subject to sudden ends and ejections: there is a focus on the ebb and flow of the war; the upper hand of the demon hordes and trying to stem that tide. Death and destruction; treachery and trickery; disunion; and loss but also hope and victories here and there. Moreover, in the background there is the "holy land" plot and the "dragon curse" plot. Not really sure where things are going but it feeds into the notion that the land of man is not just a crucible to decide the fate of mankind, but also some sort of struggle involving the gods. (This is a strange comparison because a) the sort of voice I just described is very different from the brooding voice of the Silmarillion and b) it isn't a collection of disparate but connected folklore but rather a single connected tale. Nevertheless the world and how I have traveled through it does bring it to mind. So a very limited comparison that perhaps makes no sense to anyone but me...)

I'm curious where the dragon story/the protagonists' story is going to go.

The combat is interesting. It is largely about deciding a kill order and carrying out said kill order with efficient movements. You have a movement/attack gauge that depletes as you move across the field/attack, so you want to maximize your attacks and minimize movement while trying to kill enemies in such a way as to reduce incoming damage efficiently. Enemies move differently and have different damage and endurance potentials. Moreover, recently they have started becoming invisible. You have to react and act around these things.

The partner characters are always AI controlled. There's a targeting command but I haven't made use of it yet. The AI seems to make pretty good decisions. Well, Tamryn can be a bit strange and not use excess gauge for attacking after a heal. Maybe she is defending? IDK.

It does kind of leave me wanting something similar but digging more into the underlying strategic promise (more control, more involved encounter design). But at the same time, not sure if that sort of higher intensity would fit the amount of encounters ED has.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Both ELEX and Emerald Dragon sound interesting. Can't say I've seen either in motion. I'll have to check some videos.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Played some more Emerald Dragon today. I think I'm getting fairly far in; made it to Virgil but stopped before doing anything there.

I tried out the targeting system today; felt i needed to do it to get a boss encounter under control. I've sort of assented to the AI picking to burn down the main boss unit in many of these encounters because at times it feels the boss damage is pretty unmanageable after too many turns. In this particular encounter, however, the additional monsters would both multiply and heal the boss unit in such a way as to erase any damage I did on said unit.

The targeting system is intuitive but limited: (1) They will target that particular monster until it is dead and then move on to their default target; (2) You can only set targets (unless I'm being dumb) on Atrushan's turn. Still, they are faithful to your instructions (unless they are fleeing for their lives to the back row). It got the job done in this particular fight well.

Near the end of my playthrough I fought a similar encounter, which problematized (2): My party member died on the first turn to accrued damage in part from additional monsters I would've had him help clear. It put me in a bit of a tight spot, out of which I used my inventory to pull myself. Inventory is super powerful: It doesn't seem to eat up any movement points. Because magic is pretty dependable, inexhaustible, and powerful I haven't really used the inventory much at all but here I was able to supplement Tamryn's healing and also found out that crash rubies were really good at clearing additional monsters. Combined those pulled me out of a tough spot.

That boss still did a lot of damage though; speaking of which: Another nice thing is that Atrushan can attack/move, multiple times, and still defend at the end of his turn if it comes out that way--namely there's a remainder that isn't worth much after action. This can really help with high group damage scenarios. Tamryn could put out two big heals a round and reducing Atrushan's damage helped spread those better.

Generally, the game has been pretty easy but it was nice to be pushed into trying these things out. Still have to try Dragon mode. Tried to use that on these bosses, but Atrushan had too little health on his turn (could have potion'd him into good health, I suppose, but I didn't have that many on me and wanted to use them to keep the party as a whole alive).

It was also an eventful day wrt the narrative:

I got a clearer idea of the Dragons and the Avesta, although the Dragon Curse is still largely a mystery and what purpose Garcia will use the Avesta towards is also mysterious. Still curious to what extent/how this ties back in to the opening.

I also was visited with more tragedy--humanity's purchase in the Ishbahn is quite tenuous and the demon forces just run roughshod right over it tearing lives apart:

• Cities of the dead--I think the relevant key is optional and I am very glad I talked to the fairy again. These provide some vague supplementary narratives about the suffering and the deaths of the people of Ishbahn. They also serve to flesh out the lives of cast-members, whether through parallels or through actually meeting deceased loved ones (and getting some awesome equipment in the process).
  • Ostracon shattering the dark crystal, supposedly killing the prince. The playful evil of the toss epitomizes the position demons are in relative to man in Ishbahn.
  • Leaving Farna to possibly jump to her death on the top of the tower: Her adopted father died in the content I witnessed yesterday, her would-be lover was supposedly destroyed in the example above. She says she's tired of fighting and, walking to the parapet, asks to be left alone, which your party obliges. I tried going back up to convince her to come down with me but the game wasn't having it. I hope she did not jump--it has turned out that the prince is still alive even!
  • Yaman dying, as if to his curse, from an arrow from a kid practicing to kill the demons because now even kids have to fight--the adults are dead.
  • The many casualties in the storming of the citadel, culminating in the death of your ally to save Atrushan from the deadly blow of Ostracon.
  • The destruction of the island when Garcia took the Avesta.

I'm about 10 hours in now and it has been quite an impressive game.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
So double-post:

I was actually about 12 hours in--last time I checked the clock it was 10 :P. I'm now at 15 hours or so. Did the events surrounding the two priestesses today, seeing through the missions they sent me on, which, well, encompasses a lot. I played a bit beyond.

I finally tried the dragon powers today, against a boss. Seems you can use each of the Emerald Graces to do something different? I only tried the golden dragon fangs. In any case, you trade Atrushan's health to perform a special move--powerful attack-all moves in the case of the fangs at least. I used it to kill some additional monsters quickly per the advice I had received in town. This can interact with items to just keep spamming dragon powers I guess. (Items don't eat into action/move gauge at all--they basically intervene from outside the combat paradigm).

Also re vampires: those things are devilspawn. I ran into an encounter with four of them once and they just kept spawning other enemies and breeding their own kind anew. They also happen to be some of the more resilient monsters I've seen: I couldn't hurt them as much as I could others and they had a sizable health pool. I missed the jump point in that cave I was supposed to take so that dungeon took a while. Thankfully, I have not seen their ilk again yet.

I got my first game-over today. Got killed by a host of mimics. Turns out the game is game over upon Atrushan's death, which I've been curious about tbh so it was interesting to confirm what happened when he dies. The others just revive when battle is over with 1 HP and then I hope they stay alive until Tamryn moves in the next battles :P.

Also, I don't think I said it in the thread but it is interesting how characters other than Atrushan/Tamryn grow: They just jump levels at fixed points and that can really power them up suddenly. Really cool equipment, especially stuff that modifies agility and/or points in addition to strength/defense have a similar effect. Experienced a pretty big leap like this lately.

For some reason I was fairly fooled that Garcia was the end-all be-all. In the back of my mind there was discomfort that the threads that the game does go on to pick up after Garcia were going to have to be resolved really quickly in his castle and it just didn't feel like there was enough room: Who is Tamryn? Am I missing an Emerald Grace I am supposed to have? What of the Horus-Dragon War? What of the Dragon Curse? What of the Emerald Dragon itself? I should've known that Garcia's castle was a fake-out ending--this happens enough in RPG and I had all these things I was curious about and not seeing answers to.

I picked up on some things, like Tamryn was going to be a Horus--that made sense since the war was first described but more so after what the Sea Priestess did. I didn't suspect the Horus would be behind Garcia though. I was kind of surprised when the dragons were cast in a more ambiguous light earlier in the game--they warred with the Horus and it didn't seem either side were in the right necessarily. This earlier surprise led me to seeing the Horus in much the same way--neither right, nor wrong just super powerful and now out of the picture just like the Dragons.

But that the conclusion is taking me to the Horus and bringing back into focus the struggle between them and dragons and, ultimately, the Emerald Dragon, is really neat. It brings the narrative to Atrushan and Tamryn, about whom I have been long curious. The scene after the castle was really well done--the voices and artwork added to it.

Also, bringing this train of thought back around, I think this gets to the crux of why I was lulled into believing I was reaching the end: The game very convincingly makes itself about the struggle in Ishbahn. The celebration in the castle is very much the triumph marking the end of that long story. It is interesting. Tamryn and Atrushan are both interlopers in Ishbahn. Tamryn thought she ultimately belonged but she is an outsider much like Atrushan. This would be true whether or not she were a Horus, but her being a Horus puts a point to it. As does the way the story is continuing from the story of Ishbahn into another--not unconnected of course--story.

At this juncture, I want to say two things: 1) I really appreciate how wrapped up in the struggle of Ishbahn I had become and 2) I have been waiting for what is to come. I am excited by the prospect of it.

Going on about this is all perhaps strange to say, given it is a fairly common twist in games--the real dark lord is someone else, the real conflict is more cosmic. The point here though is that the pull-back of the curtain in ED is cathartic and the original conflict is given so much weight by the game up to that point.

I am going to miss Khosraw. He was such a good mad front-liner with his insane agility and attack. Plus, I just liked the guy. Hathram seems to have become pretty crazy himself with his new gear and the potion, though. Glad Farna is back! It'll be interesting having two healers again, plus one that moves early in the round. Also that scene: "'Hathram' is good enough for you!"

Deleted member 6137

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I beat Gwendolyn's chapter in Odin Sphere: L. She was really fun to play as. Cool moves and agile. Along comes Cornelius, looking cute and leaving me in doubt about the fun factor of playing as him. Lo and behold, dude is an absolute beast (no pun intended). He's quick and strong and even more agile. I'm usually not that great at action games, but with Cornelius, I have S ranked every stage so far. Game still looks lovely. Writing is a bit naive, but overall, I do like it. I doubt that I will beat the game before the end of the year, but I hope to complete it before my time off work ends.

In The Witcher, I have gained entry to Vizima and am finally able to explore and do side quests. I entered a cellar with some nasty beasts and got my butt kicked. Will be back in a level or two, lol. I think that I prefer this game to both sequels, to be honest. There's just something about it. The Witcher 3 would maybe have been my favorite if it wasn't for the side stuff influenced by modern day Ubisoft quests.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Beat Emerald Dragon (SNES version) earlier today; took roughly 16 hours. It is a great game and I recommend it. Want to touch on a couple things:

First, the game has great QoL and production values:
  • There is a party chat feature, which primarily serves to remind you where you are supposed to be going but also serves to add to characterization. It doesn't refresh as often as, say, it does in modern DQ but for every big moment, there is new party chat.
  • Similarly wrt extra characterization, there are optional inn scenes where you get some more characterization as your party goes to sleep.
  • Similarly wrt giving you direction, the in-game map marks your position and your target destination. The NPCs give you directions and there are signs on the world map, but you can also check against your map.
  • In general, the dialogue reminds me a lot of PS IV in the sense that it delivers a lot of characterization without sacrificing a concise script. There are appreciable personalities and dynamics in play.
  • Dungeons often clear of enemies after defeating the dungeon boss. I didn't really take advantage of this as "go all the wrong ways then the right way" is hardwired into my play style, but it would help with getting all the treasure in dungeons with minimal fuss.
  • Similarly, there is a fast travel system, allowing you to avoid encounters on the world map. Namely, there are carriages in most/all towns that can take you to liberated cities for a fee.
  • Most items lack tool-tips, but you can look at and read about your key items on the "tools" page. It looks like a Zelda inventory screen. You can also see if an item is an improvement along the key attribute (attack/defense) at a glance in shops and the equipment page. You do also want to pay attention to how gear changes your other stats but this is a nice basic guide.
  • There is some voice work, namely people calling each others names, some words, and laughing. This mostly comes out for the big scenes.
  • There are also some larger illustrations of characters that appear in said big scenes.
  • Generally, strong music and visuals.
Second, the game has a strong narrative:
  • Ishbahn and the struggle against the demon army is well realized, with tragedy, loss, and perpetual struggle taking the forefront. The game makes you feel like you are part of a struggle bigger than yourself by having a clear flow to the conflict as it affects the various towns and a clear place for you within said flow.
  • The core characters have clear personalities, causes, and dynamics with each other. The extra characterizing content feeds into this as well as the main script.
  • The spoiler I posted above :P. I'll say a bit more on that:
As I said above, the game does the late game twist where the true nemesis is revealed in the background and the conflict becomes cosmic better than most games because of my first bullet point here: the Ishbahn story is never transitory. Moreover, the cosmic struggle is between two races--Dragon and Horus--that tried to control Ishbahn and its fate and were reaching into it beyond their graves so to speak. The ending is about mankind living in Ishbahn without the meddling and the wrath of the "old gods." Namely, the cosmic conflict is in a sense less important than the human struggle after all. Cementing this, Atrushan and Tamryn decide to live human lives at the end. (Tamryn also quickly sheds the name and dress of Fial).

Also as I said above, the first point interacts well with the loose threads at the purely human ending because it makes the approach of that ending feel real while the loose threads also have power. Where do they get their power from? Atrushan and Tamryn: Their narrative is left incomplete as you approach the fight with Garcia and the game is asking for it to serve as bookends, in the form of the opening and the end.

I think the ending was satisfying as such, along lines I just discussed: namely, both do have a "high" fate and in a sense opposing fates. These fates lead them to the finale and they fulfill them but they also reject them. Namely, they decide to live as humans and that their personal bond was more important than being the avatars of their godly peoples in the final act of an ancient struggle. It underlies what this was always about: Tamryn was convinced she actually belonged in the human world and Atrushan in the Draguria but she wanted him with her and he wanted to be there. She calls him in as a fellow interloper in the human conflict, but that is, in a sense, a formality and the revealed barriers between them as Horus and Dragon are also formalities, which the game ultimately cuts through.

It is similar to Hashram and Farna in this sense, and the game draws that connection itself (in party chat or inn talk iirc): Hashram and Farna have the barriers of rank, pride, and propriety.

And to tie this up as well as repeat myself, it all ties back into choosing the human life, which is underlined by the place of the cosmic conflict relative to the human conflict.

Also on this subject, I'm just going to note I like the sort of "old powerful fabled magic with a terrifying but tenuous presence in an increasingly human world." This brings me back to my goofy Silmarillion comparison I cannot shake, where the glory of the elves and of Morgoth shone bright in their arrogance but also was burning itself out and diminishing itself as the age of man approached (a narrative which of course continues itself through the LotR). Yes, the Silver Dragon encounter captured my imagination. (The other point was the harassed and marginalized position of mankind relative to the demon army).

Thirdly and finally I want to talk about the combat system (largely synthesis of above posts and discord posts):

It is pretty simple and the SNES version at least is easy--it just is also quite different than any RPG I've played. It is largely about deciding a kill order and carrying out said kill order with efficient movements. You have a movement/attack gauge (points) that depletes as you move across the field/attack, so you want to maximize your attacks and minimize movement while trying to kill enemies in such a way as to reduce incoming damage efficiently. Enemies move differently and have different damage and endurance potentials.

It is a game of a lot of outgoing damage, and generally things die fairly quickly but they can also hurt you a lot. A lot of the charm comes in the varying enemy behaviors and the way things can play out somewhat differently wrt movement. There also is a sense of progress in clearing the screen imo, especially when you don't like certain enemies. As far as I can tell the angle you bump enemies from doesn't matter wrt damage.

You only control Atrushan directly. There is the option to order allies to target specific enemies on his turn. Atrushan himself can attack by bumping enemies, including along diagonals; use items, which operate outside the points paradigm and thus are super powerful; and use his Emerald Graces to activate powerful dragon powers at the expense of his health.

Seems the basic party behavior is "attack nearest foe." There is also generally "flee to the back lines if really hurt." Moreover, back line units seek to flee to new "back lines" when the enemy gets close, which is nice.

Magic behavior is a bit different. Tamryn prioritizes healing and staying in the back. She would attack when I had a bow on her. She doesn't always cast her offensive/buffing magic when it seems she could from the outside, but I don't really know what is going on under her hood. She doesn't seem to have MP and can instead just always heal.

Foes can be a bit more erratic than these behavior patterns. Some have a lot points but have random behavior. Some can turn themselves/others invisible. Some can summon other enemies or duplicate themselves.

Agility is really important for turn order, "points" is really important towards how much you can move/act. e.g. having Tamryn be able to heal twice/thrice is super useful. These are important because the game prioritizes efficient clearing. Pay attention to when gear is modifying these stats in particular.

As Aeana pointed out to me, you can decide the order your party attacks in combat, ignoring their agility relative to each other. This allows greater target control as it allows Atrushan to move first. It doesn't ignore agility relative to enemies, however, and Atrushan is not usually naturally your fastest unit. Getting early attacks in is super useful towards clearing and generally the behavior is good enough for most every situation such that faster attacks matters more than targeting.

Deleted member 6137

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think Kawazu is saying things that he's not supposed to. This guy (I love his games!) must be a pain in the ass for Square Enix PR guys, lol.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Cleared out the Citadel in Digital Devil Saga.

I hate that bat. Jinana going down sucks. Gale joining is bliss. Will give him some low level mantras so he can start hunting as well.

Mickey better be a fat rat.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Cleared out the Citadel in Digital Devil Saga.

I hate that bat. Jinana going down sucks. Gale joining is bliss. Will give him some low level mantras so he can start hunting as well.

Mickey better be a fat rat.

She did end up being fairly underused, but Jinana gets more material in Quantum Devil Saga if that was something you were interested in (as well as more Jinana/Argilla).

Deleted member 6137

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That reminds me that I need to boot up DDS2 soon. I beat the first game last year, but there were so many other games I ended up prioritizing.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Finally finished Divinity: Original Sin 2. The last act was really bad compared to the rest of the game. I see why people love the game, but I don't love it. I think it's especially great for people who love tactical combat and are looking for ways to break a game with power gaming. The thing is if you don't power-play you can get in trouble even on the easier difficulties.

It's still a good game overall and I really enjoyed the first 2/3 of the game. But falls more and more appart in the last third.

Now installing Pillars of Eternity 2 with all the DLC. Can't wait to try this out tomorrow. Absolutely loved the first game.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Started BoF (SNES) late last night and played some more today; I am enjoying it so far. I've gotten to the port town south of the volcano.

I've found the dungeons satisfying so far. I've always pulled through so far but I've often thought "do I have enough herbs?" and/or "am I managing Nina's AP well enough?" The bosses anchor this experience as they tend to take a bit to kill (attack magic/items are a god send) and unlike other enemies tend to persist past their health bar (for an unpredictable amount of damage so far). Leveling has also been satisfying so far; tend to grow up levels on big fights which is always fun.

I also really enjoy discovering how Bo transformed the world map by letting me walk through forests and hunt animals. It is cool stuff and right up my alley. I'm curious how further characters will allow me to interact with the world. I'm seeing some breakable walls lately! Completing objectives have also materially altered the world, which is cool to see.

We talked a bit about this in the discord but it is interesting how the game highlights unintended--often bad--consequences:

• Removing the earth key from the earthquake device, which the dark dragon general is using to attack other towns, destroys the town above it--completely.
  • Stopping the research of the evil wizard of Karma seems to result in the zombies becoming increasingly inhuman. It is unclear if they are actually connected, but a connection isn't hard to draw between his remedy research and the zombies he created being relatively human.
  • Using the robot brought it close to the towns, allowing it to be quickly used to destroy one of them while the folk were celebrating the wedding. Moreover, it would've been both if the robot had not had a conscience. It then kills itself for your benefit partly as a way to deal with its guilt.
I watched the video that plays when you linger on the start screen once. It seems it was touching on this sort of thing with its theme that ambition, great causes, empire, and power have unintended consequences that lead said power to decay soon after its zenith. Moreover, the evil goddess is presented as lurking in the background.

I enjoyed the Nina sequence.
Yes, she ends up a damsel in distress and needing the protagonist but I thought it was cool that you got to play as her with her unique situation (healer/support with two soldier companions), do the hard part of the dungeon as her party, and just be in her shoes for her quest to save her father. It was a little mini DQIV-esque episode to establish her as a character. I wasn't expecting it: I was expecting her initial help to be the protagonist. The mission to save Nina is also well-handled wrt pacing: the game doesn't make you repeat the dungeon or the route to it.

I do wish the combat menus were less overwrought. At least there is an auto battle option, but there are too many button presses to set up a round. I also wish the movement speed was faster.

Also, I got it CiB with the instruction manual and map--all of it in good condition. There were notes under the cartridge and save files on it so it clearly was actively used, but the previous owner took really good care of it. The reason I bring this up though is that looking at the box just brings some strangeness to the fore: 1) Square publishing and localizing a Capcom game and vouching for it by associating it with their own Final Fantasy on the back of the box (BoF launched in the west a couple months before FF6 it seems) and 2) the box art is so western cartoon and has a comic book style speech bubble on the back but then you look inside the manual and the art is the Japanese art: the deception could not be maintained :P.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now installing Pillars of Eternity 2 with all the DLC. Can't wait to try this out tomorrow. Absolutely loved the first game.
If you liked the first one, you should have a blast with the sequel as well.
Get ready stuck on the character creator for a while, since you can now multiclasse everything with everything.
There also mods that allow to change starting class options for your party members if you want some more customization.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Well, you should like it at least. Pirate fantasy sounds awesome on paper, but for some reason it just didn't vibe with me and I didn't care about all the faction stuff. I liked some of the gameplay streamlining, but I didn't care for the combat rule changes and the AI editor was needlessly complicated and I never really figured out how it's supposed to work. I liked that they tried to move away from the dry-ass writing of the first one, but aside from Eder, most of the more lighthearted companion quips etc. didn't really work for me. Eder was hilarious, though. I mostly enjoyed the original, so it's definitely a bummer I just couldn't get into the sequel. But I'll try again in a year or two, maybe during a summer vacation when barely nothing of worth tends to come out.

But if PoE2 isn't to your liking and you're thirsty for another CRPG, I'd definitely suggest checking out Pathfinder: Kingmaker. It recently got its first big patch (1.1) and it seems to be very much playable now - no gamebreaking bugs in sight. Hell, aside from a few crashes that were most likely because of gsync, I haven't run into a single bug so far. I'm about 6 hours into it and I'm absolutely loving it.

Starting off with the negatives, I kind of hate the resting and fatigue/exhaustion system, partly because they're so harsh, partly because they aren't explained very well (or at all, really), and of course some of the battles are a bit of a struggle to me since I don't know anything about Pathfinder. It's also stupidly slow, but that's easily fixed with Cheat Engine's speedhack.

But other than that, it's been an absolute blast so far. Easy has been the perfect first playthrough difficulty level for me; the trash mob fights are easy and fast, but with bosses I have to actually start planning my attacks. Cheesing the first big boss fight felt fantastic. The writing has been stellar, dialogue has been compelling and I'm genuinely interested in seeing where the main storyline goes, which is rare for me when it comes to CRPGs. The political intrigue aspect is giving me Game of Thrones lite vibes, and the whole mysterious force behind Pittax thing is intriguing.

What particularly stood out to me was the Pathfinder world and lore itself. It has been SUPER interesting so far, and aside from the religious stuff like gods, which are never interesting to me in the least, I've devoured pretty much every single book and lore pop-up tip I've seen so far. It's just FUN, which has been a delightful surprise after expecting dry, same-y Tolkien-esque fantasy. And maybe it will ultimately turn out to be just that, but for now it has been great.

I've barely started with the whole kingdom management aspect of the game, but it seems alright so far, doesn't feel half-baked or tacked on. They thankfully offer an "auto" difficulty level for the kingdom management, which means that everything will be handled by the game and your kingdom can never fall. I started with the "relaxed" setting, though I'll likely change it to auto later on when I just want to focus on adventuring.

Speaking of difficulty options, the game offers you a lot to tinker with. You can really optimize the experience just for you, which is pretty amazing to see. A personal favorite is the "party members don't die, they just faint" option, which means that after combat, companions that died will revive with 1hp. I've never liked having to look for a priest or a rare scroll or something when someone dies because of some unlucky dice roll bs.

Last but not least, the kobolds are pretty adorable.
9c58ef1928.jpg

The rapidly dying OT for the game can be found here: https://www.resetera.com/threads/pathfinder-kingmaker-ot-pen-and-paper-not-included.70400/page-20

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So far I love Pillars of Eternity 2, but I am only a few hours in. But there is somtehing about these games that makes me feel at home. They are the closest we got to Baldur's Gate. I simply love the "feeling" of playing them. I don't care too much about the rulesets as long as the fights play well. I am a big fan of realtime-with-pause-mechanics. And to be honest I didn't even look into multi-classes, because I already disliked them back in D&D games. It always feels like your character can do many things but nothing really well. I am all for focusing on one role per character - but sure, it's great to have more options.

ara I got Pathfinder to christmas from a friend. I will certainly play this after Pillars of Eternity 2 and with some more patches out. I was following the development of the game way before it got popular so I am eager to try it. But those games only get better with time so there is no rush.

Deleted member 6137

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember my upcoming games posts? No? Well, I did two. One for PC and one for consoles. I have updated the PC one for 2019. I will post a link to the updated PC list here : https://www.resetera.com/threads/rp...-epoch-to-a-new-era.793/page-53#post-11597772

The post is also linked in the OP.

I was wondering if anyone is interested to take over the console list. It's not as easy as I thought to maintain both lists, but if no one has the time, I will keep that one updated too. Because I think that lists like this can be helpful.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
ara I got Pathfinder to christmas from a friend. I will certainly play this after Pillars of Eternity 2 and with some more patches out. I was following the development of the game way before it got popular so I am eager to try it. But those games only get better with time so there is no rush.

Oh yeah, for sure, and the devs are pushing out patches like no tomorrow so it's no doubt going to improve rapidly. I was planning on waiting, but I was too thirsty for a new RPG to play so I decided to start already. Haven't regretted my decision so far.

Also, I have to correct my earlier comment: the kobolds are utterly adorable.
72ea9f2466.jpg

Writing-wise, this has got to be the most delightful RPG I've played in ages. There's just so much to love here.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
There's only one Kobold I love.

hqdefault.jpg

(Deekin from Neverwinter Nights: Shadow of Undrentide / Hordes of the Underdark is secretly one of Bioware's best companions. Maybe not #1, but top 5 easily.)

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interested in the PoE2 thoughts, it seems like a pretty divisive game. That being said, I'm already committed to playing through it and have purchased it. PoE didn't really click with me so I'm hoping the differences in PoE2 will appeal.

MoonFrog That's right, you were planning to start Emerald Dragon Christmas Day. I'm about 2 hours in so far and I'll keep you posted on my progress. Great write-ups so far, very interesting game, bizarre battle system but I like it.

I beat Gwendolyn's chapter in Odin Sphere: L. She was really fun to play as. Cool moves and agile. Along comes Cornelius, looking cute and leaving me in doubt about the fun factor of playing as him. Lo and behold, dude is an absolute beast (no pun intended). He's quick and strong and even more agile. I'm usually not that great at action games, but with Cornelius, I have S ranked every stage so far. Game still looks lovely. Writing is a bit naive, but overall, I do like it. I doubt that I will beat the game before the end of the year, but I hope to complete it before my time off work ends.

In The Witcher, I have gained entry to Vizima and am finally able to explore and do side quests. I entered a cellar with some nasty beasts and got my butt kicked. Will be back in a level or two, lol. I think that I prefer this game to both sequels, to be honest. There's just something about it. The Witcher 3 would maybe have been my favorite if it wasn't for the side stuff influenced by modern day Ubisoft quests.
Have you played Muramasa and if so, how would you compare that combat to Odin Sphere? I've been keeping my eye on Odin Sphere but the issue is I just can't see combat potentially as simplistic as Muramasa's sustaining a game that long, since Muramasa was a beautiful game but I bounced off it because I felt the gameplay just got too damn repetitive.
Finally finished Divinity: Original Sin 2. The last act was really bad compared to the rest of the game. I see why people love the game, but I don't love it. I think it's especially great for people who love tactical combat and are looking for ways to break a game with power gaming. The thing is if you don't power-play you can get in trouble even on the easier difficulties.

It's still a good game overall and I really enjoyed the first 2/3 of the game. But falls more and more appart in the last third.

Re: the difficulty, I feel the same way which is why I have the thing cranked down onto explorer or whatever it's called. I played the first one on normal but for the second I just felt like chilling and exploring more than aggressively min-maxing to survive. My issue at the moment is that even despite the new difficulties added in, I'm still finding I can't hit a sweet spot. Explorer is actually too easy but the next highest one is too hard for my purposes. It's too bad there isn't an option to adjust the difficulty on a more granular level (or maybe there is?).

I love the tactical combat and if I ever replay it I'll want to replay it on one of the higher difficulties, but for now I really just want to explore the world and see the various questlines/characters/environments. I find that if I spend too much time micromanaging and obsessing over party composition and battle strategy, it actually tends to detract from the storytelling somewhat because it feels like reading a book while sprinting on a treadmill.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, since we're on the cusp of starting off a brand new year, how about bringing back an old tradition - it's been a while!

rpgotquestionikugf.png

What is your favorite RPG released in 2018? How did you feel about the year as a whole in terms of RPG releases?

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
@MoonFrog That's right, you were planning to start Emerald Dragon Christmas Day. I'm about 2 hours in so far and I'll keep you posted on my progress. Great write-ups so far, very interesting game, bizarre battle system but I like it.

Yeah I really enjoyed Emerald Dragon.

Also, since we're on the cusp of starting off a brand new year, how about bringing back an old tradition - it's been a while!

rpgotquestionikugf.png

What is your favorite RPG released in 2018? How did you feel about the year as a whole in terms of RPG releases?

I'd say DQXI :slime:.

I didn't play that many of the 2018 RPGs but I enjoyed the ones I did, so it has been a good year wrt RPG.

Also have enjoyed the year wrt going back and playing older RPGs.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017

rpgotquestionikugf.png

I think I only played 2 RPGs that came out this year. One was Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition and the other is KC:D which I haven't finished yet and am not really feeling it. So it is Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition.

But lots of stuff I'm quite interested in like Dragon Quest XI, Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Octopath Traveller for which I need to find the time to start them. Also games like Vampyr, Pillars of Eternity 2 and that Atom RPG that recently came out of Early Access that I hope to pick up soon.

Haven't really heard anything extremely bad about these games so I would say it was overall a pretty good year for RPGs.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I really enjoyed Emerald Dragon.
Wait I didn't even realize this until I reread the post above - you beat it already?! I didn't even process you'd gone through it that quickly!

16 hours is significantly shorter than I expected to be honest. Hell if I started tonight I probably could finish it before 2018 haha.
I think I only played 2 RPGs that came out this year. One was Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition and the other is KC:D which I haven't finished yet and am not really feeling it. So it is Divinity: Original Sin 2 Definitive Edition.

But lots of stuff I'm quite interested in like Dragon Quest XI, Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Octopath Traveller for which I need to find the time to start them. Also games like Vampyr, Pillars of Eternity 2 and that Atom RPG that recently came out of Early Access that I hope to pick up soon.

Haven't really heard anything extremely bad about these games so I would say it was overall a pretty good year for RPGs.
I finally got a chance to play a bit of Vampyr after wondering about it for the longest time. As usual, while the core gameplay isn't particularly polished, I found it played a lot better than you'd expect from reading impressions online. I think this all stems from the tendency of the internet to characterize anything that isn't AAA polished as "jank" when in reality there is a nice middle ground between polished and broken. Vampyr's gameplay is mostly in that middle ground.

That being said, the main strengths of the game are definitely the atmosphere/setting and the gameplay concepts that revolve around being a vampire. Like Bloodlines, it doesn't just say "ok you're a vampire now," but it tries to really build systems and mechanics around what being a vampire would be like in this setting. I don't think it succeeded like Bloodlines did, but overall it did a decent job.

I also only played about 5-6 hours though so I'm not sure if the game improves/gets worse from that point on.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
rpgotquestionikugf.png

I'm gonna say Pathfinder: Kingmaker even though I'm not even close to being done with it. I've been playing it for the last... What the fuck, like 9 hours now? Time just FLIES with it. It's absolutely fantastic so far.

Monster Hunter: World is currently higher on my GOTY list, though, so maybe that one if it counts. Or maybe they're both my favorites, they're vastly different games, after all.

Other than that, I feel like it's been a bit of a disappointing RPG year for me. Pillars of Eternity 2 and Kingdom Come: Deliverance just won't click. Dragon Quest XI and Ni No Kuni 2 were really disappointing. Octopath Traveler was just straight up bad in my opinion. Xenoblade 2's Torna expansion was a massive disappointment story-wise, though I did love it otherwise.

Still got plenty of RPGs to check out or try again, though: VC4 (even though VC1 was always just okay), Ys VIII (yeah, I dunno, maybe I'll like it on the Switch), Vampyr, Battle Chasers: Nightwar (even though this one sounds like a mobile game) and Labyrinth of Refrain.

Re: the difficulty, I feel the same way which is why I have the thing cranked down onto explorer or whatever it's called. I played the first one on normal but for the second I just felt like chilling and exploring more than aggressively min-maxing to survive. My issue at the moment is that even despite the new difficulties added in, I'm still finding I can't hit a sweet spot. Explorer is actually too easy but the next highest one is too hard for my purposes. It's too bad there isn't an option to adjust the difficulty on a more granular level (or maybe there is?).

I love the tactical combat and if I ever replay it I'll want to replay it on one of the higher difficulties, but for now I really just want to explore the world and see the various questlines/characters/environments. I find that if I spend too much time micromanaging and obsessing over party composition and battle strategy, it actually tends to detract from the storytelling somewhat because it feels like reading a book while sprinting on a treadmill.

Are you playing it right now? Cause I feel like I read somewhere that they addressed this exact issue (explorer being too easy, classic being too hard) in the definitive edition, but if they didn't, bummer.

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Oh right, forgot about Monster Hunter: World and Ni No Kuni 2 came out this year. Not sure if I would classify the first as a RPG but it was a fun game even though the multiplayer part of the game could be improved. Ni No Kuni 2 was just a bland and forgettable game with a nice mobile building clicker game in it.

Wait I didn't even realize this until I reread the post above - you beat it already?! I didn't even process you'd gone through it that quickly!

16 hours is significantly shorter than I expected to be honest. Hell if I started tonight I probably could finish it before 2018 haha.

I finally got a chance to play a bit of Vampyr after wondering about it for the longest time. As usual, while the core gameplay isn't particularly polished, I found it played a lot better than you'd expect from reading impressions online. I think this all stems from the tendency of the internet to characterize anything that isn't AAA polished as "jank" when in reality there is a nice middle ground between polished and broken. Vampyr's gameplay is mostly in that middle ground.

That being said, the main strengths of the game are definitely the atmosphere/setting and the gameplay concepts that revolve around being a vampire. Like Bloodlines, it doesn't just say "ok you're a vampire now," but it tries to really build systems and mechanics around what being a vampire would be like in this setting. I don't think it succeeded like Bloodlines did, but overall it did a decent job.

I also only played about 5-6 hours though so I'm not sure if the game improves/gets worse from that point on.

I would argue that lots of supposedly "polished AAA" games feel quite janky.

That stuff about Vampyr sounds intriguing. Currently debating if I should get that and a small thing with my Humble Credit or I should stick with TitS SC and Exapunks once the Humble sale starts.

Deleted member 6137

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

rpgotquestionikugf.png

Of the 2018 role playing games that I played, Dragon Quest XI is my overall GOTY. My only real complaint about the game would be the soundtrack, but we probably can agree on why that is. Orchestral Mod helps a bit.
The game looks stunning. It's fun to explore, and I love everything about the world in general. Switch to classic camera, use some draconian quests for goid difficulty and the game offers a fine challenge. Personally, this is my favorite Dragon Quest game.

Octopath Traveler is a very fun game. I know that people have complained about the game structure and limited interaction between party members. This didn't bother me. Quest and the interaction with NPCs were good enough for me. I really enjoy the job system. There might have been fewer jobs than I personally wanted, but you can still make really fun builds. The weakness system is good enough, and knowing when to break enemies is very important later on. Game looks stunning and unlike DQXI, the soundtrack is spot on throughout the whole game. I've got to give a thumb up for the out of battle skill that each character has and their use in quests.

This game isn't translated but i very good, despite some technical issues. Open world, turn-based combat with AP costs for movement and action. Recruit party members. Lots of quests that can oftentimes be their own little stories or events. The reason I bought the game untranslated is because I love Tale of Wuxia and Tale of Wuxia: The Pre Sequel.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is more of a Valdur's Gate II successor than Pillars of Eternity, imo. It has more of the same feel. Rtwp combat that is slower and the PF rules are closer to D&D 3.5. I'm not very far into this yet, but what I have played has been fun. I've read that the game has suffered from many bugs, so I am not in a hurry to complete this just yet.

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire had many good things mixed with bad. Exploration was fun, but there was a lack of many fun dungeons to explore. The underbelly of Neketaka was fun and offered some of the best fights to boot. The game was challenging in the start, but by level 10-12, you'll be so powerful that you can beat most enemies. The main story felt very disconnected from everything else, but the other quests could be good, including the faction ones. The writing was a mixed bag, but unfortunately, the companions were very bad in my opinion. I'm going to replay this with all the DLC at some point, but I will wait and see if the rumored turn-based mode actually turns out to be something they implement or not.

2018 games I have bought but not played yet:
CrossCode
Lawless Lands (Got it for free)
Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
The Banner Saga 3

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FiveSide I think that if you got burned out by Muramasa, you might not want to buy Odin Sphere L. It isn't the worlds deepest game, but I would probably say that it offers more variety than Muramasa. The first character story took me about 8 hours. The second character doesn't play identically, but the basics are the same, I suppose. On the other hand, skills/abilities are a bit more fun in Odin Sphere, if I remember the Muramasa ones correctly.

Last edited: