RPG Community |OT| Take the Epoch to a New Era

Oct 27, 2017
I finished up Pool of Radiance last night. Even though I was playing with judicious mod use via the Gold Box Companion, this felt like a true accomplishment to me. It's the oldest game I've tackled on this current attack on my backlog. It was a lot of fun, and more addicting/compelling than I had anticipated. I normally only get to play games after my kids are in bed, but due to the lack of sound and the turn-based nature doesn't consume my whole attention I dared to play some while they were awake and active. By the end though I rushed through the final couple zones, since my characters had mostly hit the level cap and I was leaving most treasure behind because I was already holding more than I could carry (the encumbrance caused by currency was probably my least favorite part of the game). But still had a great time and really glad I gave it a shot.

Oct 25, 2017
Also a little late on this (I intended to have it up last week) but I looked through a bunch of releases that are happening in Feb. Some of them may be RPG-adjacent or just have RPG elements but I'll let others decide what interests them.

Also check out Labadal's Upcoming threadmarks! They're broken down by type/style with links to the official sites.

Upcoming Console RPGs by Labadal
Upcoming PC RPGs by Labadal

February Upcoming Release & Recap

Feb 1
Wargroove
XB1, Switch, PC (PS4 later)
Trailer

Feb 5
The Mage's Tale (VR)
PS4 (previously released on PC)
Trailer

Away: Journey to the Unexpected
PS4, Switch (Feb 7th), XB1 (Feb 8th)
Trailer

Evoland Legendary Edition
PS4, Switch (Feb 7th), XB1 (Feb 8th)
Trailer

Etrian Odyssey Nexus
3DS
Trailer

Ages of Mages
PS4, XB1 (Feb 6th), PC
Trailer

Feb 6
Salt and Sanctuary
XB1 (previously released on PC, PS4)
Trailer

Magic Scroll Tactics
Switch
Trailer

Feb 8th
God Eater 3
PS4, PC
Trailer

Yo-Kai Watch 3
3DS
Trailer

Feb 19
Death end re;Quest
PS4
Trailer

Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption
PC (Previously released on PS4, Switch, XB1)
Trailer

Unexplored: Unlocked Edition
PS4, XB1 (Feb 22) (Previously released on Switch)
Trailer

Yakuza Kiwami
PC (Previously released on PS4)
Trailer

Feb 22
Anthem
PS4, PC, XB1
Trailer

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles
XB1 (Previously released on PS4, PC, Switch)
Trailer

Ghost of a Tale
PS4, XB1 (Previously released on PC)
Trailer

Path of Exile
PS4 (Previously released on PC, XB1)
Trailer

---

Anything you guys are picking up / already have picked up? Anything you'll pick up later?

I'm grabbing Wargroove for Switch but I'm going to wait a little bit to start it until my Smash matches die down so I can go back to rpgs on it. I nabbed God Eater 3 as mentioned previously, really enjoying that. Etrian Odyssey Nexus is on my list but I'm still on IV, so I'll wait a little. Looking forward, the only game I have left this month is Death end re;Quest. Anthem is a skip for me and I already own Yakuza Kiwami on PS4.

Q1 has been pretty expensive so far and it doesn't look like it's gonna let up.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Playing EO Nexus at the moment—yes I caved per my edit. I’m enjoying it. Not planning on buying any other RPGs coming out this month at the moment, but we’ll see.

Curious when a) FE3H, b) ToCS PS4, and c) Grandia HD come out.

Further term, curious about SMTV, Re:Fantasy, and Ys IX.

Oct 25, 2017
I finished up Pool of Radiance last night. Even though I was playing with judicious mod use via the Gold Box Companion, this felt like a true accomplishment to me. It's the oldest game I've tackled on this current attack on my backlog. It was a lot of fun, and more addicting/compelling than I had anticipated. I normally only get to play games after my kids are in bed, but due to the lack of sound and the turn-based nature doesn't consume my whole attention I dared to play some while they were awake and active. By the end though I rushed through the final couple zones, since my characters had mostly hit the level cap and I was leaving most treasure behind because I was already holding more than I could carry (the encumbrance caused by currency was probably my least favorite part of the game). But still had a great time and really glad I gave it a shot.

What does negative AC mean? You basically will get hit by everything?

Oct 25, 2017
What does negative AC mean? You basically will get hit by everything?
Negative AC is good in D&D pre-3rd edition.

It's unintuitive, but AC of your opponent is effectively added to your to-hit roll by subtracting it from your THAC0 (base AC is 10, so if you have a "to-hit" of 20 ("THAC0" or "to hit Armor Class 0") and your opponent's AC is 10, your threshold to hit their AC is 20 - 10 = 10). If their AC is 5, your threshold is 15, so they're harder to hit.
(I think I got that right - it's been a long time since I played the proper tabletop)

I'm really glad successor systems made things simpler by making high "armor class" numbers good.

Oct 27, 2017
Negative AC is good in D&D pre-3rd edition.

It's unintuitive, but AC of your opponent is effectively added to your to-hit roll by subtracting it from your THAC0 (base AC is 10, so if you have a "to-hit" of 20 ("THAC0" or "to hit Armor Class 0") and your opponent's AC is 10, your threshold to hit their AC is 20 - 10 = 10). If their AC is 5, your threshold is 15, so they're harder to hit.
(I think I got that right - it's been a long time since I played the proper tabletop)

I'm really glad successor systems made things simpler by making high "armor class" numbers good.
Yeah, what he said. Lower numbers for AC and THAC0 are better.

I thought this was an interesting read on writing for RPGs. It's by MRY, known for Primordia.

RPG Codex Editorial: Without Map, Compass, or Destination - MRY on RPG Writing
That post and the thread for it is really interesting. As much as the codex can be an exhausting place write ups like that are why I still check in on it a couple times a week. That post also made me go back and read the Darth Raxor review of PoE 1 and that was pretty interesting as well.

One take away I had from that discussion was that world building should not take the form of wordy dialogue. Each NPC should give a little insight in to the world through their quest and personality and that as a whole should give you a sense of the game world. NPC dialogue should mostly be about revealing the character and personality of the NPC not telling you about the game world.

Oct 25, 2017
Well part of that is worlds should be multivocal and lore at times even conflicting—that is important to making something feel at all real.

Part of the problem of products of the human intellect is there is an overweening predilection to rationalize and organize. Partly that is what you want to do: you want to offer a compelling vision, which is a sort of statement and one of the ways to make a statement compelling is to make it clearly say something (worthwhile). But this should be balanced against a fraying at the edges, minor gaps and inconsistencies that build up as the world is experienced that don’t take away from the vision but add an element of the unknown and incongruity. That is a vision with multiple semi contradicting but somehow mutually reinforcing facades. Strong sense of perspective in characters can play into this because, well, people tend to see different things within different frames. It makes them more believable but also the underlying world.