• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Parakeetman

Oct 25, 2017
Have been playing Lost Sphear and its a lot more enjoyable than Setsuna personally. They did a good job of capturing the classic JRPG feel. Though it is a bit odd with how the world map there are no actual encounters while wandering around. Its more to traverse to one point to another / collect resources and place artifacts. Any fights are done in the various zones that can be entered from the map and same as Setsuna enemies are visible in the area so no random encounters.

Characters and dialog is pretty good too. While the graphics are nothing special if one is a fan of classic JRPG its worth checking out when it releases in the West.

Music is nice too since its not all piano like Setsuna lol

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the essentials thread coming back? Was really bummed that it didn't get finished and would love to see how the list would've shaped out.

I don't think anything's technically set in stone at the moment, but the plan was to bring the essentials thread back in some capacity, either as a continuation of the previous one or as a complete do-over from the voting phase onward.

Have been playing Lost Sphear and its a lot more enjoyable than Setsuna personally. They did a good job of capturing the classic JRPG feel. Though it is a bit odd with how the world map there are no actual encounters while wandering around. Its more to traverse to one point to another / collect resources and place artifacts. Any fights are done in the various zones that can be entered from the map and same as Setsuna enemies are visible in the area so no random encounters.

Characters and dialog is pretty good too. While the graphics are nothing special if one is a fan of classic JRPG its worth checking out when it releases in the West.

I actually liked Setsuna, but for some reason it didn't have that "spark" that makes a classic game feel, well, classic. Maybe it was just too deep in Chrono Trigger's shadow, I don't know. I loved the atmosphere, the piano, and Setsuna herself though.

I'll definitely give Lost Sphear a try at some point for sure.

GKSilKamina

Oct 25, 2017
Festering Swamp, USA
How does everyone who is a fan of the Ys series feel about 6?

It was my first Ys title and I quite enjoyed it plus it gave me a favourite character from the series other than it's two main stays. I kind of want to recommend it to people who haven't played it yet.

6 was my first entry into the Ys series as well so I have a soft-spot for it. As much as I like Seven and Celceta, I prefer the gameplay style of 6/Origin/Felghana over 'em. And Olha still has my favorite character design out of the entire series.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it will make a comeback. It hasn't been decided in what form yet, but look forward to it!

I don't think anything's technically set in stone at the moment, but the plan was to bring the essentials thread back in some capacity, either as a continuation of the previous one or as a complete do-over from the voting phase onward.

I actually liked Setsuna, but for some reason it didn't have that "spark" that makes a classic game feel, well, classic. Maybe it was just too deep in Chrono Trigger's shadow, I don't know. I loved the atmosphere, the piano, and Setsuna herself though.

Ahh Good to hear. Thanks

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for this! Considering I really liked Setsuna I think I will love Lost Sphear from what I have seen and heard.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere in Zanarkand
Hoping to be way more active in this iteration than the last. Always admired the RPG community on GAF, but was too busy to ever really partake.

Hoping to change that here. I'm currently making my through Trails in the Sky FC right now, and it's incredible.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017

Good to hear. I enjoyed my time with Setsuna (as bland as it was), and this one looks even better on the gameplay side. Sucks it's releasing at the same time as Ni no Kuni 2 though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping to be way more active in this iteration than the last. Always admired the RPG community on GAF, but was too busy to ever really partake.

Hoping to change that here. I'm currently making my through Trails in the Sky FC right now, and it's incredible.

The Trails games are probably the biggest gap in my JRPG experience at the moment, I really need to get on these as well.

I have them on PSP but might pick up the PC versions, which I understand have a turbo option.

Lynx_7

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing that intimidates me about Trails is that I'd need to make enough time for 2 really text heavy RPGs in a row since I would get pretty lost if there was a big gap between my playthroughs of 1 and 2. I'm also the kind of guy who talks to every single NPC in a game, so... Yeah, from what I've heard, I'm gonna need to take my time with those ones.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing that intimidates me about Trails is that I'd need to make enough time for 2 really text heavy RPGs in a row since I would get pretty lost if there was a big gap between my playthroughs of 1 and 2. I'm also the kind of guy who talks to every single NPC in a game, so... Yeah, from what I've heard, I'm gonna need to take my time with those ones.

This is basically my dilemma as well. And there's a third game that came out fairly recently too, right? So combined it's probably like 120-150 hours of dialogue-heavy JRPG...that's the kind of thing I need to schedule like a year in advance lol.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I bought the Seiken Densetsu Collection for the Switch a few weeks ago and I've been slowly working my way through it.

- Skipped Adventures of Mana for now. Went through it once before and it's ok but not really something I feel like playing again right now. Text speed was also kind of annoying when I played a few minutes of it!
- Finished Secret Of Mana. One of a couple SNES games that isn't as good as I remembered. It's a fun, solid game but that's more in spite of its jankiness and there's more interesting and polished SNES RPGs out there imo.
- Started Seiken Densetsu 3 (my first time playing it) and so far it seems like I'll like it more than Secret of Mana. Plays smoother than its predecessor so far and it looks great!

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys! An RPG Community is a fantastic idea. Looking forward to reading recommendations in here and making my own!

Parakeetman

Oct 25, 2017

Its most def worth checking out. Honestly the weakest thing about the game is the cover and text font used for the title itself. Outside of that if you like Setsuna I would think one would imagine that they should enjoy Lost Sphear more.

Does Lost Sphear have a great story at least? :P

Its a fairly decent story I think. Like the writing with the characters more too. As they are a little bit more alive than in Setsuna. But dont go expecting something like what the larger budget games can produce lol. The story was the main reason why I continued to play.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought the Seiken Densetsu Collection for the Switch a few weeks ago and I've been slowly working my way through it.

- Skipped Adventures of Mana for now. Went through it once before and it's ok but not really something I feel like playing again right now. Text speed was also kind of annoying when I played a few minutes of it!
- Finished Secret Of Mana. One of a couple SNES games that isn't as good as I remembered. It's a fun, solid game but that's more in spite of its jankiness and there's more interesting and polished SNES RPGs out there imo.
- Started Seiken Densetsu 3 (my first time playing it) and so far it seems like I'll like it more than Secret of Mana. Plays smoother than its predecessor so far and it looks great!

Post back when you beat/get further in SD3, always been very curious about this game. There were good things about Secret of Mana but overall it's not one of my favorites. Always wondered if SD3 fixed those issues or doubled down on them.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
This is basically my dilemma as well. And there's a third game that came out fairly recently too, right? So combined it's probably like 120-150 hours of dialogue-heavy JRPG...that's the kind of thing I need to schedule like a year in advance lol.

I actually have almost 200 hours of playtime between the three of them. Though the third game is more of a 70 hour epilogue.

Mattakuevan

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit, I've tried getting through the first Trails probably 4 times now. I just always get distracted by something else, its so slow >.>

I'll need to rectify that someday.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of Setsuna I was not a fan of the ending(which I won't go into to avoid spoilers) and it soured me on the game with how things were handled.

The game was a nice return to ATB and the snowy setting was beautiful but the game left a lot to be desired. I still recommend people give it a try since the first half is pretty good.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish I'd had a chance to finish Setsuna. I actually imported the retail version for the Switch (all text is in English) and was halfway through when I had to sell the system. Solid game, not a classic, but not a waste of time by any means. It played great on there, strongly recommended if anyone has a Switch and is interested in RPGs.

Within 3 years, the Switch will be the greatest RPG platform we've ever known! (I hope)

^ Like you for instance BrokenFiction! Lol

Se7enSword

Oct 25, 2017
GA, USA
How does everyone who is a fan of the Ys series feel about 6?

It was my first Ys title and I quite enjoyed it plus it gave me a favourite character from the series other than it's two main stays. I kind of want to recommend it to people who haven't played it yet.
It's no Oath in Felghana or Origins, but it is still pretty good in my opinion. The main flaw is that it doesn't have as many good boss fights.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I hope Celceta comes to steam. I don't have a Vita and that is a remake/re-imagining of Ys IV right? I'm going to try VIII next but I kind of wanted to follow up I&II, Origins, and tOiF with Celceta. I get order isn't too important in these games outside I&II but I kind of wanted to follow it. Is there a modern version of Ys V?

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone! My friend mentioned that I should try out a Falcom RPG, but I have no idea where to begin. I've heard Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel or something like that is pretty good, but I'm looking for recommendations on a good Falcom RPG.

In terms of turn-based RPGs, I've mainly played and enjoyed main Final Fantasy games, Mario & Luigi games, Pokémon, and Lufia. Any help would be appreciated!

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
The game was a nice return to ATB and the snowy setting was beautiful but the game left a lot to be desired. I still recommend people give it a try since the first half is pretty good.

Agreed, I still thought it was pretty good and I'm looking forward to their new game to see their improvements.

Off-topic: enigmatic_alex44 was looking to see if you made it over here. :)
BTW, I sent you a PM over on Slaent to let you know they said hi and were asking if you were coming over here too, before I realized you were already here (since I just got here) lol. Don't know if you got it yet, haha.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone! My friend mentioned that I should try out a Falcom RPG, but I have no idea where to begin. I've heard Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel or something like that is pretty good, but I'm looking for recommendations on a good Falcom RPG.

In terms of turn-based RPGs, I've mainly played and enjoyed main Final Fantasy games, Mario & Luigi games, Pokémon, and Lufia. Any help would be appreciated!
Do you have steam? Another Trails option is Trails in the Sky. It is older and pretty good. I haven't played Cold Steel. The Ys games we're talking about right above are an action RPG series and the other "big" Falcom series. They're fun and a bunch are on steam.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope Celceta comes to steam. I don't have a Vita and that is a remake/re-imagining of Ys IV right? I'm going to try VIII next but I kind of wanted to follow up I&II, Origins, and tOiF with Celceta. I get order isn't too important in these games outside I&II but I kind of wanted to follow it. Is there a modern version of Ys V?

Pretty sure Ys V is the only one that hasn't been "modernized," and Celceta (which is a pretty liberal re-imagining of IV) is probably a lock for Steam now that Seven made its way on there. So you're in luck! (EDIT: Just remembered, Celceta already has a Chinese PC version I think, so I'd say a Western PC release is definitely on the cards sometime in the relatively immediate future.)

At the moment my favorite Falcom RPG is Ys: Oath in Felghana, which is a pretty short action-RPG and is one of the best in that subgenre, I'd strongly recommend that one. Otherwise, if you want a specifically turn-based Falcom RPG, I think something in Trails is your only real option.

I haven't played any of the Trails games, but I hear more good things about Trails in the Sky than I do about Cold Steel.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, I still thought it was pretty good and I'm looking forward to their new game to see their improvements.

Off-topic: enigmatic_alex44 was looking to see if you made it over here. :)
BTW, I sent you a PM over on Slaent to let you know they said hi and were asking if you were coming over here too, before I realized you were already here lol. Don't know if you got it yet, haha.
Oh I didn't get anything over at SLAENT though? xD I did see alex posting which I'm happy about! We did good work in VII and VIII threads.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
On the topic of Setsuna I was not a fan of the ending(which I won't go into to avoid spoilers) and it soured me on the game with how things were handled.

WAZZY!!!

Another member told me you were here (I said I wish Wazzy was here, the iconic FF8 stan) <3

mo1ddqv.gif

I also saw your...farewell post on that site ASDASDFKLdafdSFDSDDDDDD

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to pick up the trails series pretty soon since it's a heavily recommended one. It will be a bit of a time consumer but It's going to be fun getting into a popular JRPG I haven't played.
WAZZY!!!

Another member told me you were here (I said I wish Wazzy was here, the iconic FF8 stan) <3

mo1ddqv.gif

I also saw your...farewell post on that site ASDASDFKLdafdSFDSDDDDDD
Haha I had to go out in a FF style way or else what would be the point?

Hope to see you in the FF community! I've got the VIII OT setup at SLAENT but will rework it back here someday when a big announcement happens.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I didn't get anything over at SLAENT though? xD I did see alex posting which I'm happy about! We did good work in VII and VIII threads.

Cool :)
Yeah I enjoyed them.

Hmmm, weird, though my browser was circling for a while when it sent so probably my end. I didn't notice this hangouts section so I pretty much realized you were here around the time I hit submit.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
I'm going to pick up the trails series pretty soon since it's a heavily recommended one. It will be a bit of a time consumer but It's going to be fun getting into a popular JRPG I haven't played.

Haha I had to go out in a FF style way or else what would be the point?

Hope to see you in the FF community! I've got the VIII OT setup at SLAENT but will rework it back here someday when a big announcement happens.

Whew! Let me know when you've got that VIII OT up and running :)

Somebody has got to teach this new generation about the best Final Fantasy, 8, and the legendary, yet-to-be-outdone romance of Squall and Rinoa.
JZbssG3.gif

Also thanks DangerMouse
JZbssG3.gif

Also, not an RPG but close enough, I'm playing Danganronpa V3 and I can confirm it is excellent for anyone on the fence (and we finally got a character to match Kyoko, which would be legend Maki)

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
I am glad to see everyone landed here.

I have had contact with a lot of you over discord, but since I have been asked multiple times, the Essential RPG thread will not continue as is from NeoGAF. In the spirit of a new start here, we'll redo the vote in a month or so (when people have had time to settle in) as our first ResetEra recommendation thread. Everyone who posted last time, can just grab their text from the abandoned thread and make any needed tweaks from the past 2 months of gaming. Everyone that missed out will get a chance to participate, especially if you are one of our new community members.

A lot of the banner content that kayos, Thores, FiveSide, and myself have completed to date will most likely be usable in a fresh thread, and I do plan on using the same banner template (with a couple minor tweaks) to cut down on work. So it won't be a complete loss!

For those that were interested, here were the top 25 that will remain unfinished in the old thread:

Code:
1    Chrono Trigger
2    Dark Souls
3    Persona 4
4    The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
5    Final Fantasy VI
6    Planescape: Torment
7    Persona 5
8    Fallout: New Vegas
9    Xenoblade Chronicles
10    Final Fantasy VII
11    NieR: Automata
12    Bloodborne
13    Mass Effect 2
14    Final Fantasy IX
15    Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
16    Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
17    EarthBound
18    Undertale
19    Final Fantasy Tactics
20    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
21    Persona 3
22    Final Fantasy X
23    Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
24    Valkyria Chronicles
25    Xenogears

I don't want to derail this thread too much, so PM me here (or on discord if we are in contact) if you were curious about anything else from the past vote not publically posted here or prior to this.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see you stop by kswiston!

Kind of glad we're running the vote again (even though some of my favorites ranked higher this year than any year previously). I agree that it's better for the list to be a completely fresh start, rather than the results of polling one community transplanted onto a different one.

Just a few thoughts on the original results:

-Persona 3 did indeed get dinged quite a bit. Ouch.
-Really happy with the Nocturne placement. Hope it gets as much support in the upcoming ERA vote.
-Strong showings for NieR and Bloodborne.
-Persona 5 did MUCH better than I expected.
-Top 5 was expected, but didn't think the Persona split would be enough to give Dark Souls the edge. Seems that wasn't the case.

Again, thanks for your work on this. Looking forward to the next go-around on here!

Also, not an RPG but close enough, I'm playing Danganronpa V3 and I can confirm it is excellent for anyone on the fence (and we finally got a character to match Kyoko, which would be legend Maki)

I keep hearing about these Danganronpa games, never looked into them though. Are they pretty straightforward VNs, or are there more RPG elements than in other games of the genre?

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
I've kind of slowed down on a few games I started up recently, like Cyberdimension Neptunia, Blue Reflection, and Mario + Rabbids. I'm definitely gonna try to finish at least one of them before Mario Odyssey. Still have a few others in my back log like I Am Setsuna, Salt and Sanctuary, Ys Origin, Rogue Galaxy, and a few other CH games I bought on sale. With Xenoblade 2 and Tokyo Xanadu coming out within a few days of each other, plus Ni no Kuni 2 just a month later, I'm really looking forward to winter. There's still a few games from earlier this year I have to pick up too, like Nioh and Horizon.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow at the list. I was right about Persona 5 being in top 10 but I didn't expect VII to just make the top 10. I'm also quite surprised by IX's high ranking though that could be with the release of IX ps4. It's not bad or anything, just not that high I was expecting.

The rest I'm happy to see a couple new titles break into the top 20.
Cool :)
Yeah I enjoyed them.

Hmmm, weird, though my browser was circling for a while when it sent so probably my end. I didn't notice this hangouts section so I pretty much realized you were here around the time I hit submit.
Funny enough I just received it a couple minutes ago, must have been delayed. I hope to see you also particpate in the FF community and of course this thread too. :)
Whew! Let me know when you've got that VIII OT up and running :)

Somebody has got to teach this new generation about the best Final Fantasy, 8, and the legendary, yet-to-be-outdone romance of Squall and Rinoa.
JZbssG3.gif
But of course. :] We will need to get VIII up in the rankings for essential RPG's when the new thread pops up later on.

Mike Slozchy

Banned for using a prohibited e-mail provider.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a lot of fun to me, if anyone is willing, could I get a PM for an invite to the discord?

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I've done my duty and told the others to try out the Monster games. They're so much fun.