• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JustSomeone

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gothic: own all of them. Started 1 sometime last year, played 2 as a kid but never properly finished it, never played 3 and 4.
Risen: I have 1 and 3, lol. Once again, started 1 once but never completed it.
Divinity: Original Sin 1: started it last year, in the first town.
Pillars of Eternity: started it last year as well, in the first town.
What do you have against finishing legendary games?

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, I actually had the same thought and wanted to change it, but I guess I forgot : P
I still want to play it out of morbid curiosity.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
What do you have against finishing legendary games?
Last year had a boatload of Falcom games (which are my #1 priority, if that hasn't been obvious already :P) and I got D:OS and Pillars for free, so I prioritized games I payed for. Similarly Gothic and and Risen were from bundles or cheap sales so not that high on the priority list. And I actually did finish Gothic 2 - just not properly : P Started cheating halfway through it which kind of ruined it for me, so I want to redo it one time, but technically I did finish it ;)
And I'm easily distracted.

Those aren't even the only ones :)
I'll get to all of them eventually. I had a really bad habit of getting distracted and starting another game while in the middle of one and when I came back after a while I felt I had to restart game #1 from the beginning, got further into it but got distracted again, loop continues.
Suffice to say, that's not exactly a habit that promotes finishing games. I think I got over it though. Nowadays I try to just pick up where I left off, struggle until I familiarize myself with it again and continue.

Last edited:

JustSomeone

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4. There is no Gothic 4.

Of course,here would have to be Gothic 3 first.

Last edited:

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I've played through Gothic 1-3, but haven't played through the Risen series. Haven't played Gothic 4 either.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
List of games I should consider playing before buying other shiny new games:.
Honestly, by that logic I should buy anymore RPG's ever.
Here is the list of the rpg's I own, not counting ToB and PoE, which I'm actively playing right now:
The Age of Decadence
Ara Fell
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Dark Cloud
Darksiders 2
Divinity: Original Sin
Eternal Sonata
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Fallout 3 (will probably skip this one)
Fallout New Vegas
Final Fantasy 4 Interlude
Final Fantasy 4 The After Years
Final Fantasy V
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Morrowind
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3
Jade Empire
King's Bounty: The Legend
Mega Man Battle Network
Mega Man Starforce
Legend of Grimrock
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Shadow Hearts
Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call/ Nocturne
System Shock 2
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tyranny
Obviosuly there are also a ton of RPG's that I want, but don't own yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, by that logic I should buy anymore RPG's ever.
Here is the list of the rpg's I own, not counting ToB and PoE, which I'm actively playing right now:
The Age of Decadence
Ara Fell
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Dark Cloud
Darksiders 2
Divinity: Original Sin
Eternal Sonata
Fable: The Lost Chapters
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Fallout 3 (will probably skip this one)
Fallout New Vegas
Final Fantasy 4 Interlude
Final Fantasy 4 The After Years
Final Fantasy V
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Morrowind
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3
Jade Empire
King's Bounty: The Legend
Mega Man Battle Network
Mega Man Starforce
Legend of Grimrock
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Shadow Hearts
Shin Megami Tensei: Lucifer's Call/ Nocturne
System Shock 2
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Symphonia
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tyranny
Obviosuly there are also a ton of RPG's that I want, but don't own yet.
I can't even imagine playing that many games at once let alone RPGs. I'm getting stressed out when I have more than 10 games installed on Steam alone. Also you really don't need to play Fallout 3 and New Vegas, you are going to burn out hard since they are really similar. And New Vegas is soooooooooooooo much better, it's not even funny.

How is Jade Empire holding up? Loved the game when it came out. I remember there were some hilariously overpowered skills that turned the entire game into a joke.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many RPGs I own/have access to that I intend to play and haven't played. I don't think it is anywhere near 300 for me, but it is a growing population.

I think I have Ultima 1 through 7 or something, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, and Planescape Torment. That's my classic CRPG haul I got as a gift at some point and only fiddled with BG1 and Ultima 1 a little bit so far. I did download DOSBox and fiddle with TES1 at some point, so that and Daggerfall might also be on my computer.

I also own the Witcher games on PC but have only played a bit of the original. And I own FFXIII and XIII-2 on PC because of Square Easter mystery box sales. Also on Steam I have PSIV, CSH, TitS 2C, and Xanadu Next unfinished. I have a DS playthrough but I ate that poor woman's soul and idt I'm going back to it. Maybe I will.

I also have access to my brother's steam games, which include at least Fallout 1 last I checked...

With consoles well...

The SNES backcatalog is mostly my own purchases but also includes Front Mission, which idk when my brother acquired it. It is not fan-translated. But the usual subjects I go on about are in there: FE3, FE5, and now SMT1&2. Also Secret of Mana.

Don't have an RPG GB backcatalog.

My brother bought a lot of PSX games as a teen so there are a lot of those I have access to, including some RPGs I've never played. I don't have a very good grasp on the shape of the collection. I myself have at least recently added P2:EP to it.

I've played/beat most of the PS2/GCN/Xbox RPGs I-or he-bought. Xenosaga I is there barely played, as is FFXII. I've been expanding this catalog recently with SMT/Persona games but I've gotten through my additions.

I don't own many PS3/360/Wii RPGs and the games I do own for those systems, I've played.

Mother 3 is my GBA RPG back-catalog. DS/3DS/PSP back catalog includes P1, P2, Tactics Ogre, TWEWY, FFIV, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker, Strange Journey, Devil Survivor Overclocked, Soul Hackers, Radiant Historia, and Infinite Space.

Wii U has no RPG backcatalog for me, same with Switch. PS4 backcatalog is Tokyo Xanadu eX+, FFXII, Bloodborne, and Nioh.

I've made decent progress in some of these games and am currently working on another set of them, but yeah, being less conservative in my buying habits has this side effect.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Getting back into Spellforce was easier than I expected, huh. Reading over the questlog and the names of the maps in order was enough to bring me up to speed again with the story and getting feel for my character and the gameplay again didn't take that long either.
I really like the look of the enemy faction in this game.
83647563857F189E5A68596482972C05D78F47EE

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even imagine playing that many games at once let alone RPGs. I'm getting stressed out when I have more than 10 games installed on Steam alone. Also you really don't need to play Fallout 3 and New Vegas, you are going to burn out hard since they are really similar. And New Vegas is soooooooooooooo much better, it's not even funny.
I just realised that my post way a bit misleading. I'm not actievly playing these game, only ToB and PoE, but I could start them rigjt away.
Currently I have 42 steam games installed, plus like 3 non steam games.

Fallout 1, Shadow Hearts and SMT Nocturne are on the top of the list once I finished the games I'm playing right now.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I just realised that my post way a bit misleading. I'm not actievly playing these game, only ToB and PoE, but I could start them rigjt away.

Lol I was wondering why you were playing Fallout 1 and 2 at the same time.

I'm so bummed FO's UI hasn't aged very well, btw. I enjoyed 1 and loved 2 back when I finally managed to finish both, but I'm having a reeeal hard time trying to replay them due to the UI. Even something as simple as highlighting items and NPCs (and their names) with ALT would go a long way, tbh.

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm so bummed FO's UI hasn't aged very well, btw. I enjoyed 1 and loved 2 back when I finally managed to finish both, but I'm having a reeeal hard time trying to replay them due to the UI. Even something as simple as highlighting items and NPCs (and their names) with ALT would go a long way, tbh.
If you're playing with fan patches (Fixt in particular, as it collects a lot of things), try holding down shift. The sfall patch for Fallout 2 added this functionality, which I believe was then backported to Fallout in some other mod. Only highlights items, but it's something.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
If you're playing with fan patches (Fixt in particular, as it collects a lot of things), try holding down shift. The sfall patch for Fallout 2 added this functionality, which I believe was then backported to Fallout in some other mod. Only highlights items, but it's something.

Damn, really? That's definitely a good start, at the very least. Might check it out again at some point, thanks for the tip!

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I really should finish the games I pick up. Right now, I have current games going in:

KOTOR 2
Tyranny
Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Shadowrun: Dragonfall
Starcrawlers
Neverwinter Nights 2
Wasteland 2
Paper Sorcerer

How is Jade Empire holding up? Loved the game when it came out. I remember there were some hilariously overpowered skills that turned the entire game into a joke.
I've never finished Jade Empire, but I think that it skirts by because it tackles a subject that few other games try to. The combat mechanics and the writing aren't particularly good. Specifically, it feels like a game about Imperial China designed by someone who has only watched Kung Fu films.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Of the nominations so far, how does everyone feel about them? Which one would you be particularly interested to play?

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
IDK. I kind of want to hear more about a couple of them from people who have played them. I read some of their wikipedia articles and such, but I prefer to hear about them from you all :P.

I also need to look into which of these I can reasonably get my hands on, before I vote on anything.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe we have eight nominations, so I'm going to go ahead and collect them. It's already a pretty interesting set of games and personally I'm going to have a tough time choosing between them!

I'll list the nominations in this post, and also link to where you can vote on which one we should play through. You can vote at any time in the next few days, starting now - though there will probably be some discussion either in here or the discord about the nominations, so you may want to wait to see if anyone provides a convincing case for playing one of them over the other before you make a choice.

Also, I've allowed voters to vote on multiple entries on the poll. Since a lot of us are unfamiliar with several of these games, I figured it might be a good idea to let people vote for more than one option if there are a couple games that they're equally interested in playing (but try not to vote for more than 2, or 3 at the absolute most). We'll try this system and see how the logistics work out.

Here are the Nominations for "Console RPGs Released in 1990-1992." You can vote HERE.

Arcana

Glory of Heracles III

Just Breed

Lagrange Point

Phantasy Star III

Pool of Radiance (NES)

Radia Senki

Soul Blazer

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So - yea, really interesting set of games. Spitballing some thoughts:

Pool of Radiance is an amazing game and definitely a classic. But it's something I'd prefer we go through on the original version as opposed to the NES port in my opinion. And I do definitely hope we can go through it at some point, it can be surprisingly accessible despite its age. And it's majorly important/historically significant too.

The one that is sticking out to me is Glory of Heracles 3, as we've discussed quite a bit in the discord. It's one of those mostly Japanese-only franchises that you always hear about, and always have lurking on your backlog, but never seem to get a chance to get around to. Aeana mentioned that Heracles 3 is one of the better ones in the series (best one?), so I think it would be a great way to get a taste of what the franchise has to offer. Plus, there are definitely some interesting names attached to it in terms of the dev team, who would later go on to work on JRPGs that many of us have played and enjoyed.

Lagrange Point and Soul Blazer are also sticking out at me. I think Lagrange Point could be a very interesting one given the setting - kind of a counterpoint to the sci-fi in Phantasy Star, which has a stranglehold on the "retro sci-fi JRPG" subgenre in the broader mindshare. Soul Blazer, on the other hand, is the first game in a loose trilogy that I've really enjoyed the other entries of. Illusion of Time and Terranigma are both great - in Terranigma's case, one of the best RPGs on the SNES.

But beyond those specific thoughts, I'm honestly good with any of them. I played - but didn't beat - Arcana before and it's definitely an interesting game. I was going to nominate Just Breed myself before it ended up getting nominated anyway. I was considering just playing through Radia Senki on my own when Aeana brought it up, and of course Phantasy Star speaks for itself. Really can't go wrong.

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably vote for a SNES game. I have a SNES and have imported/bought fan translated for it successfully before. There is an NES around somewhere but idk where and I've never really touched it let alone imported for it (don't even know if it works anymore, but I'd guess it does).

I found a better sword than kusanagi. I'm guessing it is kuchinawa? It cuts off after the w.

I'm now law. But this is temporary, I swear (I just need to find a good chaos choice to make...).

Oct 25, 2017
I believe we have eight nominations, so I'm going to go ahead and collect them. It's already a pretty interesting set of games and personally I'm going to have a tough time choosing between them!

I'll list the nominations in this post, and also link to where you can vote on which one we should play through. You can vote at any time in the next few days, starting now - though there will probably be some discussion either in here or the discord about the nominations, so you may want to wait to see if anyone provides a convincing case for playing one of them over the other before you make a choice.

Also, I've allowed voters to vote on multiple entries on the poll. Since a lot of us are unfamiliar with several of these games, I figured it might be a good idea to let people vote for more than one option if there are a couple games that they're equally interested in playing (but try not to vote for more than 2, or 3 at the absolute most). We'll try this system and see how the logistics work out.

Here are the Nominations for "Console RPGs Released in 1990-1992." You can vote HERE.

Arcana

Glory of Heracles III

Just Breed

Lagrange Point

Phantasy Star III

Pool of Radiance (NES)

Radia Senki

Soul Blazer

That yellow color is painful to attempt to read on a white background, just so you know.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
You didn't set duplicate checking on your strawpoll, it's going to be pretty easy for someone to skew the results to their wanted game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You didn't set duplicate checking on your strawpoll, it's going to be pretty easy for someone to skew the results to their wanted game.
I seriously doubt that'll be a problem but sure I'll set it on the next one. It doesn't otherwise affect how the poll works so I guess I might as well.

There's nothing really to be gained from skewing the results...if someone wants to play one of them that badly, they can just play it themselves in the first place.

EDIT: On the other hand, if anyone else is concerned about that, just let me know and if it's a sticking point, I can remake the poll with duplicate checking enabled.

Has Wii VC gone down yet? It was supposed to do so in the beginning of the year...let me look that up...

I believe that the date for adding points will expire soon, but the VC won't actually go down until January 2019.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Has Wii VC gone down yet? It was supposed to do so in the beginning of the year...let me look that up...

Edit: ah yeah...I'd probably want fan translated anyway...online script isn't too bad though as you only really need it for the story and item lists until you recognize the shapes for the item names...

Maybe I'll look into adding some points just in case though.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My thoughts on the nominated games:

Arcana - This looks lie a fairly standard DRPG/blobber, which is fine I guess. I've never been a massive fan of the genre, but I can still enjoy them occasionally. However, Wikipedia makes it sound like it's just a bit too cruel with it's difficulty:
  • Easy Game Overs: In contrast to the norm for RPGs of the era, which dictated that the death of one character in the player's party was usually a recoverable loss, in Arcana, the death of any character save an Elemental results in Game over. This means that an unexpected confrontation could result in a speedy demise.
  • Little forewarning: Due to the convoluted nature of the passages, a common cause of death for a player's character is the sudden discovery of a boss character. The gravity of the situation is not apparent to the player until the fight begins. The presence of these boss characters is not always deducible in advance, and in many cases results simply from the player's movement onto a particular tile.
  • Scarcity of save points: Saving the game is limited to the town area of each level. As such, it is possible to be in a difficult situation without any restorative items. The player must escape to the solace of the town before further engaging monsters.
  • Limited inventory: The party's inventory is limited to forty-two item slots. Unlike other RPGs, where multiple copies of the same item can "stack" in one slot, the items in this game do not stack, providing a very strict, and often small, item limit.
  • Linearity: Having completed a dungeon, the player cannot subsequently return. The dungeon explored is determined by the player's progress in the story and not chosen. This prevents players from returning to a dungeon with easier monsters, and risks being stuck in a dungeon whose monsters are too strong to overcome.
This all sounds like a bit too much honestly. The limited save points and inventory are fine, but not being able to return to previous dungeons seem like it could screw you over big time, and the easy game over thing sounds like it would be really frustrating. So I don't know how long I could deal with the game honestly.

Glory of Heracles III - This quote was all that was needed to make me completely lose interest in the game:
Glory of Heracles 3 is one of my favorite RPGs on SNES for sure, but I should probably chime in to keep expectations in check: in terms of gameplay, it's fairly traditional. The stuff it does that's unique and interesting deals with having immortal party members. The story was written by Kazushige Nojima, and it's probably the game that got him hired at Square before he wrote FF7.

Traditional JRPG gameplay just never really appealed to me, and since I've tried a whole lot of traditional JRPGs that's probably unlikely to change at this point. I could still enjoy the game if it had, say, a good story, but seeing as it's written by Kazushige Nojima, whose portfolio includes games such as Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy X-2, and Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, that seems very unlikely in this case.

Just Breed - Now this actually looks pretty great. I'm always up for checking out interesting SRPGs, and this looks pretty cool. The Wikipedia page doesn't really clear up exactly how it plays, but I'd definitely give it a go.

Lagrange Point - Another game that just looks like a traditional JRPG with nothing really interesting standing out. Would definitely need someone to sell me on this before I'd vote for it.

Phantasy Star III - Basically the same as Lagrange Point, but it's at least an incredibly famous game, so I'd assume it does something right and would therefore be willing to check it out.

Pool of Radiance (NES) - An all time classic that I probably should have played by now, so I'd definitely give it a go. I'd play the PC version though, if that's fine, because I just can't imagine the NES version being quite as good.

Radia Senki and Soul Blazer - They both look like interesting action RPGs, and I feel like action RPGs are great for this because they should be relatively easy to get into and enjoy. The problem is that I have no idea how to pick between them, so it would be nice if someone who's actually played them could elaborate what makes them really stand out (the nomination posts don't quite elaborate enough for my liking).

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I hope you end up trying whatever game is selected, since the idea is to go outside of your comfort zone and play something you wouldn't ordinarily choose on your own.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I hope you end up trying whatever game is selected, since the idea is to go outside of your comfort zone and play something you wouldn't ordinarily choose on your own.
I'm fully willing to give every game on that list a try. I would obviously prefer to play something I'd think I'd enjoy though, or at the very least something that looks interesting. And a traditional JRPG just really doesn't.

The bigger problem is precisely the whole "going outside your comfort zone" though. From the NES/SNES time period, I really haven't played many RPGs, and most of the ones I did play were the well known traditional JRPGs - FF and DQ mostly. Such games are, even if I really didn't like them, wholly in my comfort zone. On the other hand, I've never played an old DRPG/blobber, or a gold box D&D game, and my action RPG experience from that era is pretty limited. Such games therefore seem much more interesting to me. If Glory of Heracles III really is fairly traditional, and is written by a writer whose works I'm all too familiar with, I just don't know if it would be interesting enough for me to keep playing. As a side note, I would imagine that's the case for most people, so I also kind of have to question that going outside of your comfort zone is the point, considering that two traditional JRPGs are currently dominating the voting. Not that there's anything wrong with that, obviously - people will obviously vote for games they think they'll actually enjoy, and that's completely fine.

I'd love to be proven wrong though. I spent way too much time playing traditional JPRGs mostly because I was really hoping I'd finally find one I'd enjoy. It hasn't happened so far, but it would be pretty nice if it did. I doubt it though.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Spellforce - Order of the Dawn. I really was only a few hours away from the end, lol.
The ending was one big wtf moment and I had to read up on what actually happened due to my hazy memories of the earlier parts of the game. But wow, the story is actually really really cool. Nothing extraordinary, but really cool regardless.

Was surprised to see that Breath of Winter requires a new character instead of continuing on, but that serves me fine.
Going to run a Warrior with some magic again, as pure mages are too much busywork for me in this game. Which is one of my few complaints - you really should be able to pause the game and issue orders. Micromanaging a bunch of characters without pausing is just not really feasible so I just stuck with fighters and a healer for my other rune warriors. Which kinda sucks because the game has some really cool sounding spells.

Still really liking the RPG/RTS mix.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Do Famicom cartridges fit in an NES? I'm guessing no?

Probably looking for fan translation/redone in NES cartridge versions for those ones, right?

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll try most of the book club suggestions regardless of the voting outcome. Lagrange Point in particular looks seriously cool.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Think of Radia Senki as the precursor to Growlanser and FFXII. Keep thinking while we get ready to play Nojima's Hercules because it's clearly going to win lol.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't voted yet...are the polls that clear already?

IDK I was thinking "I'll just vote for a SNES game" but there are a lot of non-SNES games there so I'm looking at how I'd go about trying to get my hands on some.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm working on list of RPG's that I still need to play, but don't own right now.
So far I got:
Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear
Blue Reflection
Breath of Fire 3,4 (I'm skipping 1 and 2)
Cosmic Star Heroine
Drakengard
Dark Cloud 2
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Final Fantasy 1,3
Grandia series
Countless Legend of Heroes games
Lost Odessey
Mother 1-3
Paper Mario
Rogue Galaxy
Secret of Mana
Shadow Heart 2
SMT games that aren't Persona or Nocturne
Suikoden series (I guess 1-3?)
south park the fractured but whole
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Tales of Destiny
Vagrant Story
Wild Arms series
Whateber Ys games are worth playing
Xenosaga series
I'm probably missing a few, it shouldn't be too far of.
That's a pretty scary list. I don't even want to know how long it would take to finish all of these games.
I wouldn't mind if everyone just stopped making video games for a few years, so I can focus on older games.

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
I also got a copy of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter from the ResetEra Secret Santa. Pretty excited to play it! (although with my habits there might be a signifcant gap between starting and actually finishing it). The replay mechanic sounds cool, but I hope it won't get tedious.

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I also got a copy of Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter from the ResetEra Secret Santa. Pretty excited to play it! (although with my habits there might be a signifcant gap between starting and actually finishing it). The replay mechanic sounds cool, but I hope it won't get tedious.
I've been meaning to play the BoF games, I've played the first two and I own the rest, just need to get around to them.

Dragon Quarter seems to be a fairly divisive game from what I see. That just makes me more interested lol

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Same, I've never played a BoF game but everything I've heard about Dragon Quarter sounds incredible.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017

I bought Dragon Quarter on its release as I am a HUGE fan of Breath of Fire (obvious, no?) but I found it difficult to get into at the time. It was so different from the other games in the series. I actually started playing it again last week and I have been loving it this time. It almost feels like a survival horror dungeon crawler. I can also see the nods to the series history much better this time around. Definitely give it a try!

I've been meaning to play the BoF games, I've played the first two and I own the rest, just need to get around to them.

Dragon Quarter seems to be a fairly divisive game from what I see. That just makes me more interested lol

Same, I've never played a BoF game but everything I've heard about Dragon Quarter sounds incredible.

Dragon Quarter is great, but the other four games are definitely worth playing, especially III and IV! Amazing games that are much more unique than people give them credit for. They aren't just your average classic RPGs. You have The ability to learn skills from your enemies, training under Masters, the willingness to go to darker and grimmer places than other JRPGs, having a full party without a single human member, the dragon transformation systems, the GOAT fishing minigames, fusion mechanics, unique soundtracks, battle formations, the colony/town building/upgrading. It's all great.

Deleted member 6137

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I sold Dragon Quarter many years ago. I sort of regret it. The thing is that I could never could get into it and didn't understand the systems back in the day. I'd be interested in giving it another chance after reading up on it. The only problem is my backlog. So many more games that I'd rather play at the moment.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will definitely vouch for Dragon Quarter. A lot of things about it might sound weird on paper, or might seem counterintuitive at first, but everything ends up working exceptionally well because of how tightly designed the game is. I consider it almost a textbook for systems-driven RPG game design, kind of like the RPG equivalent of Resident Evil 4 in terms of polish and thoughtfulness.

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone here played Just Breed?

I'm a bit confused about the armies reading about it. The Wikipedia says that you have characters, each with an army, and it sounds like you go army by army through the turns?

Does the enemy (or can it) attack between the turns of your various armies or is it just that you have to move all the people in an army before you can move the others?

freikugeln

Oct 27, 2017
I sold Dragon Quarter many years ago. I sort of regret it. The thing is that I could never could get into it and didn't understand the systems back in the day. I'd be interested in giving it another chance after reading up on it. The only problem is my backlog. So many more games that I'd rather play at the moment.

A huge departure from the previous games so l can understand the backlash. I wish they had removed the Breath of Fire name and references.
III and IV were very good but Dragon Quarter is by far my favorite. It's easier for people to judge it on it's own merits nowdays.

It's also pretty short, 20 hours give or take so it's not like you have to invest much time.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Well...idk. Maybe I just won't vote and see where the poll takes me (if I can get my hands on the game and a translation).