• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
So...what does that mean?

Apparently I'm way behind on my falcom knowledge.
No relation other than being by the same developer (not actual people developing games though).
qox0FP6.jpg

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. Never going to go that deep down the Falcom rabbit hole...

It just makes me appreciate (again) how, despite having played a decent number of JRPG, there are multitudes more out there that I haven't played and always will be.

But my Falcom ambitions aren't that deep atm. I liked TitS 1 but didn't love it. I'll at least play TitS 2 at some point. Maybe I'll go down the Cold Steel rabbit hole at some point but not really planning on it atm--it'd be a low tier ambition.

As to Ys, well, I really like 1&2 so maybe I should actually seek out the old 2D games but I think I'll just be content with playing the 3D ones and not even all of those. I like Ys better than Trails so far.

I already own Xanadu Next and it seems it is winning here so I'll get around to that, hopefully sometime while the club is playing, perhaps lagging behind.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I should have voted for something I haven't played but I am lame and Bloodlines and Quest for Glory got my votes.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the heads up, snagged it.

In the mean time I've been considering playing KotoR for the first time, set up widescreen fix and some other stuff last night and I think I'm ready to go.
I'd super curious to hear how that game holds up.
The animations in particular are just awful (they weren't great when the game came out) but I remember everything else pretty fondly.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played some DOS.
The gaurds tell that I'm too underleveled to leave the city, but I finished all the quests I found in the city already.
So I guess it's time to get my ass kicked.

Outside of the city I found a field of poison that keeps exploding for seemingly no reason when I try to pass it.
I don't think I will keep playing this game for much longer if this keeps up.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
I'd super curious to hear how that game holds up.
The animations in particular are just awful (they weren't great when the game came out) but I remember everything else pretty fondly.
I'll post some impressions in here once I get going.

I thought about playing 2 as it seems most consider it significantly better (and it has better PC support), but I'd like to think that I'll get around to both eventually if they click with me so I went with the first.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll post some impressions in here once I get going.

I thought about playing 2 as it seems most consider it significantly better (and it has better PC support), but I'd like to think that I'll get around to both eventually if they click with me so I went with the first.
2 is definitely better but it has a sloooooooooooooooooow start. Also you will meet some characters from the first game (and something I won't spoil here) so I would definitely recommend starting with the first

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
the gog sale is pretty good. I am going to finish out my tsr/ssi/goldbox D&D games via them since the remaining ones I need are like $1 each. Maybe one day I'll play them but probably not, more than happy just to have them as a curiosity at this point.

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
I voted for Inazuma Eleven because it's something I've had for a while, but never got around to playing it

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
In general I'm curious how I'd take to Xbox era BioWare if I played the games again. I really really liked them at the time but never got into Mass Effect--sort of enjoyed the original a couple years late but didn't finish it and was turned off by what I heard about the second one. And this led me to thinking "oh, maybe DA will be more my thing" and trying that (on PC) only to be incredibly disenchanted with their world and their characters.

Part of me wonders if it was just a time in my life where their games clicked and then suddenly they didn't. That thought makes me not want to go back because I found KotOR so cool as a young teen and it would suck if that were true.

Maybe it is not though.

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
I played KOTOR 2 last year, having never played either game in the series, and I absolutely loved it. It's now probably one of my favorite games. I moved on to SWTOR in an effort to keep the party going. I think it's great for an MMO, but obviously not the same.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I played SWTOR my first MMO because I loved the Old Republic setting and KotOR so much. I wrote about that experience some pages back so I won't go into it again but, yeah it is weird because that is the sort of place KotOR had in my decision making at one point (about half a decade ago now or so? I forget the exact year but I got it launch year) and I've slipped far away from that.

Just got a weird relationship with BioWare. I still root for them, though, and all the stuff surrounding Andromeda was sad.

Some day perhaps I should go back to KotOR or try to get into ME again.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Bioware has been slowly sliding downhill ever since Neverwinter Nights, that game was a tremendous let down and it's been getting worse and worse with each release.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Still early on in Taris, took a while to get bindings figured out and get used to the camera control and the UI. I thought it was going to be your standard 3rd person affair when it comes to controls and camera movement, but it's like this weird isometric CRPG hybrid. Understandable for 2003 I guess.

Also man the evil responses have zero nuance, they're hilariously dumb.

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably a long shot but has anybody here ever read the Planescape novel? I'd be interesting to see how the game translates into book form. Huge part of the game is obviously choice and that can't be turned into a book but I'm curious how that turned out

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Bioware has been slowly sliding downhill ever since Neverwinter Nights, that game was a tremendous let down and it's been getting worse and worse with each release.

NWN campaign was super boring (a couple of neat quests in Act 2 notwithstanding) but I have tremendous respect for Bioware for creating that toolset and engine. I got so many fantastic years of enjoyment out of the mods for that game. I don't think I've seen a game since then give modders such a great toolset to create original content. It's pretty amazing that they did that all the way back in 2002.

Hordes of the Underdark was pretty damn good though and was a return to form in terms of story-based campaign.

Oct 25, 2017
Bioware's greatest achievment today is making stepping stones so Obsidian could get a foothold in the industry.
Kotor to Kotor 2 and NWN to NWN 2
Obsidian motto should be "Let us handle your IP we are going to make a game so much better than yours that you will be ashamed of it"

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Bioware's greatest achievment today is making stepping stones so Obsidian could get a foothold in the industry.
Kotor to Kotor 2 and NWN to NWN 2
Obsidian motto should be "Let us handle your IP we are going to make a game so much better than yours that you will be ashamed of it"

While I think NWN2's OC is very underrated (still has the best keep implementation in a game), the modding community never took off in the same way as the first NWN game.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather buy a good game off the shelf then buy the potential of a good game hoping for the community to make something of it.

For a hypothetical NWN 3, sure. But in this case we had years of proven NWN mod support. NWN ultimately had a pretty amazing legacy.

In hindsight I would put the NWN + fan mods package ahead of NWN2 (including MotB) + fan mods. Even if you couldn't pay me to actually replay NWN OC.

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NWN campaign was super boring (a couple of neat quests in Act 2 notwithstanding) but I have tremendous respect for Bioware for creating that toolset and engine. I got so many fantastic years of enjoyment out of the mods for that game. I don't think I've seen a game since then give modders such a great toolset to create original content. It's pretty amazing that they did that all the way back in 2002.

Hordes of the Underdark was pretty damn good though and was a return to form in terms of story-based campaign.

Well, it's not the same genre, but Warcraft III came out about a month later and had an incredible map editor. A year later, The Frozen Throne expansion came out and upgraded the editor to the best mapping/"modding" tool ever created. It was incredibly easy to use, but also powerful enough to create some incredible stuff, and the game had an active community playing custom maps for years.

After that though, there hasn't really been anything as amazing. Oblivion had an active modding scene, as did most Bethesda games, but the mods mostly focus on building on the original game instead of creating truly new things. And, of course, a special shout-out to Starcraft II for managing to completely screw up everything that made the Warcraft III editor so great.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Well, it's not the same genre, but Warcraft III came out about a month later and had an incredible map editor. A year later, The Frozen Throne expansion came out and upgraded the editor to the best mapping/"modding" tool ever created. It was incredibly easy to use, but also powerful enough to create some incredible stuff, and the game had an active community playing custom maps for years.

After that though, there hasn't really been anything as amazing. Oblivion had an active modding scene, as did most Bethesda games, but the mods mostly focus on building on the original game instead of creating truly new things. And, of course, a special shout-out to Starcraft II for managing to completely screw up everything that made the Warcraft III editor so great.

Hadn't really though about the WC3 toolset and the eventual link to DOTA. That's pretty huge.[

ilium

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I could never bring myself to care about the NWN singleplayer campaigns.

Those persistent RP servers on the other hand...

untitled1o2yc04kjnd.gif

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of already thinking of dipping out of KotoR. Game's pretty good so far but nothing comes across as really interesting or stand-out except for how well it puts you in the Star Wars universe, which I've never really gotten into/am not a huge fan of (edit: Okay dressing up in Sith gear and getting different responses is definitely cool). The writing is especially really watered down. Not really liking the combat much either but I'm guessing it doesn't open up until I become a Jedi/get deep into force powers. I'll try and keep playing until then but if it's way later than yeah, I might be done soon. I don't even think the game has aged poorly or anything, it's just fine. I'm also probably too early on to fully judge it so take this all with a grain of salt.

Tough and almost pointless comparison considering the time difference, but I was much, much more captivated by Mass Effect (and finished that) playing that back near release a decade ago than I was playing this now.

Last edited:

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of already thinking of dipping out of KotoR. Game's pretty good so far but nothing comes across as really interesting or stand-out except for how well it puts you in the Star Wars universe, which I've never really gotten into/am not a huge fan of (edit: Okay dressing up in Sith gear and getting different responses is definitely cool). The writing is especially really watered down. Not really liking the combat much either but I'm guessing it doesn't open up until I become a Jedi/get deep into force powers. I'll try and keep playing until then but if it's way later than yeah, I might be done soon. I don't even think the game has aged poorly or anything, it's just fine. I'm also probably too early on to fully judge it so take this all with a grain of salt.

Tough and almost pointless comparison considering the time difference, but I was much, much more captivated by Mass Effect (and finished that) playing that back near release a decade ago than I was playing this now.

Have you played it before? If not then it's worth pushing through at least to becoming a Jedi.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Voting for this round will end Thursday, 9pm EST. I'll post another reminder tomorrow. Get your vote in if you haven't already!

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually found Taris pretty fun on my first playthrough but sheesh it was a pain on the second, to the point where eventually I just used the "skiptaris" cheat.

Yea Stoze I would definitely keep trucking. After Taris the game opens up in a really awesome way. I don't consider it like "high art" per se (using that term very loosely) but it's an entertaining and fun romp.

It's also good to play it before diving into KOTOR 2, which is a masterpiece. The writing is excellent and Kreia is the best-written character in a video game imo.

this is the part where Fantastapotamus might @ me saying it's one of the characters from Planescape instead :) haha. I wouldn't disagree per se, I do think Kreia is the strongest overall but Planescape's cast can't be beaten when you factor them all together, not by any game I've played by a long shot

KOTOR and KOTOR 2 together are my favorite media from the Star Wars franchise, and I've read most of the EU stuff too.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I love the old republic setting. Something about it explores Sith/Jedi and the whole galaxy in such a refreshing way.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't really disagree with Kreia being the best character in video games and to be honest one of the strongest one in fiction itself. She is just a masterpiece of writing and you spend a lot of time with her which also helps.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I'm playing through Tales of Graces f with my roommate and holy fuck is this game fun. The story is straight-up asinine but I'm not sure if I've ever been as invested in a combat system as I am here. Every character plays so differently, too.

Are there any other Tales games with combat systems that are this in-depth? Or at least similarly engaging.

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing through Tales of Graces f with my roommate and holy fuck is this game fun. The story is straight-up asinine but I'm not sure if I've ever been as invested in a combat system as I am here. Every character plays so differently, too.

Are there any other Tales games with combat systems that are this in-depth?
Graces has my favorite combat by far. The only games that even remotely measure up are the Tales of Destiny remake for PS2, and Tales of Rebirth.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Same for me, I think. It's pretty damn high up there at the very least.

Shame I can't really be assed to dig up my PS3, would love to replay it.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Got this anti-DQV kicking around in my head--thing is, it is morbid but I kind of like the idea so it is like how do you avoid wallowing in that tragedy and actually drive at the point? And then there is showing various perspectives fairly. IDK I wrote the premise down and that'll be the end of it even if I do dig further into it, but it feels oddly cathartic to think about it atm despite (but also because of) the subject matter.

In any case, got me thinking about RPGs in general. DQV has tragic arcs and triumphant arcs. Throughout hope and longing remain alive and ultimately prevail. GotHW has one generation end in tragedy, but the next generation sets the world right again. I can't really think of a full-blown tragic RPG, where the weight of fate, birth, character, etc. ultimately crushes the protagonist and leaves their "quest" unfulfilled and their cause lost.

I can think of "hero dies in the end" but after "hero accomplishes their purpose."

Can anyone else think of a full-on tragic RPG? I imagine it at least must exist in the indie scene or something.