• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Playing through Chrono Cross and I was really enjoying it but the amount of backtracking is starting to get ridiculous.

Feels like you have to visit every location at least 5 times

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone else think of a full-on tragic RPG? I imagine it at least must exist in the indie scene or something.

Terranigma is close, so are some of the Breath of Fire titles, but I mean I don't think a game where the hero doesn't accomplish their purpose in the end would go over well with most people. There is usually a good and bad ending in that case. The original Nier is definitely tragic all the way through.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm...I should look into these games.

Wrt fulfilling the purpose, it would count imo if the purpose is in some sense fulfilled but the fulfillment is monstrously distorted and not in keeping with the original dream, i.e. the journey perverted the strength of the protagonist into something monstrous. That is a fallen hero by virtue of his/her "virtue."

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got this anti-DQV kicking around in my head--thing is, it is morbid but I kind of like the idea so it is like how do you avoid wallowing in that tragedy and actually drive at the point? And then there is showing various perspectives fairly. IDK I wrote the premise down and that'll be the end of it even if I do dig further into it, but it feels oddly cathartic to think about it atm despite (but also because of) the subject matter.

In any case, got me thinking about RPGs in general. DQV has tragic arcs and triumphant arcs. Throughout hope and longing remain alive and ultimately prevail. GotHW has one generation end in tragedy, but the next generation sets the world right again. I can't really think of a full-blown tragic RPG, where the weight of fate, birth, character, etc. ultimately crushes the protagonist and leaves their "quest" unfulfilled and their cause lost.

I can think of "hero dies in the end" but after "hero accomplishes their purpose."

Can anyone else think of a full-on tragic RPG? I imagine it at least must exist in the indie scene or something.
For a game that got completely thrashed in reviews, the 2012 Game of Thrones RPG is actually pretty impressive in that regard, since it has one of the most bleak endings I've ever seen in a game.
In that particular ending, the following things happen:
  • The protagonist is forced to kill his best friend (who is also the second playable character) in a duel to the death.
  • He then accomplishes his goal of saving a very plot-important baby, but is quickly forced to give her back, completely invalidating everything he's done through the entire game and failing the entire purpose of his quest.
  • He then becomes deeply depressed, and commits suicide. The last shot is him standing under a noose he tied up, and the game unceremoniously fades to black.
The first two points aren't all that bleak, but having the very last scene be something like that is dark. It's even more shocking because it comes out of nowhere, since the game is mostly not very tragic (excluding the obligatory amount of death and murder of course; it is based on Game of Thrones after all).

There's also three other endings which are a bit happier, though that's really just because the protagonist gets killed by the guards instead of taking his own life. And they are all treated equivalently - the one described above isn't some "bad ending" that you have to fuck up to get.

Considering the game was clearly targeting a mainstream audience, that's quite a depressing ending. It would be quite interesting to see how people reacted to it, but since basically no-one played the game that's not really possible.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Tragic rpgs.

Here's a somwhat list i can think of...

Ff15
Ff6
Ff tactics

Tactics ogre
Ogre battle
Ob 64

Chrono cross

Lufia 2

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
For a game that got completely thrashed in reviews, the 2012 Game of Thrones RPG is actually pretty impressive in that regard, since it has one of the most bleak endings I've ever seen in a game.
In that particular ending, the following things happen:
  • The protagonist is forced to kill his best friend (who is also the second playable character) in a duel to the death.
  • He then accomplishes his goal of saving a very plot-important baby, but is quickly forced to give her back, completely invalidating everything he's done through the entire game and failing the entire purpose of his quest.
  • He then becomes deeply depressed, and commits suicide. The last shot is him standing under a noose he tied up, and the game unceremoniously fades to black.
The first two points aren't all that bleak, but having the very last scene be something like that is dark. It's even more shocking because it comes out of nowhere, since the game is mostly not very tragic (excluding the obligatory amount of death and murder of course; it is based on Game of Thrones after all).

There's also three other endings which are a bit happier, though that's really just because the protagonist gets killed by the guards instead of taking his own life. And they are all treated equivalently - the one described above isn't some "bad ending" that you have to fuck up to get.

Considering the game was clearly targeting a mainstream audience, that's quite a depressing ending. It would be quite interesting to see how people reacted to it, but since basically no-one played the game that's not really possible.
That is quite dark and surprising.
Tragic rpgs.

Here's a somwhat list i can think of...

Ff15
Ff6
Ff tactics

Tactics ogre
Ogre battle
Ob 64

Chrono cross

Lufia 2
Yeah FFXV and VI have a very similar structure, with the evil empire and the seed within the empire bringing about a world of ruin, although in XV there is also the whole chosen hero element to Noctis which is different. Makes me wish XV, its world, its characters, and story had been better realized. It could've been quite cool imo. But...so much of it is so half-baked. The enemy definitely takes the world out from under you in both and destroys so much of what you cherish, even if you ultimately set it "right," like in DQV where there are distinct falling arcs.

I'm a bit foggy on the endings of Tactics and Cross despite playing them as a child (beat Cross, got to the last couple levels in tactics--something I should play to completion some day). What I do remember of the Tactics scenario definitely fits.

Need to try the Ogre games some day.

I think DQVII is also worthy of mention. In general, I think DQ adopts a tragic voice quite well--it just usually isn't the main story. But VII is full to the brim of tragic vignettes and the way they continue on throughout the game with little callbacks and continuations as well as the way the time travel is used compounds them to great effect.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
DQ7 really impacted me when i first played, but a subsequent playthrough and it very much felt like a slog, I didn't finish it.

I like the holy puzzle piece time warp of a world, and you coukd go off the besten path to find new areas, but good lord it was easy to get lost.

I dunno. Been a quick seco d since I've played thst one.

I find DQ8 much more enjoyable upon replays.

Last edited:

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Lufia 2, eh. Maybe I need to check it out. It's one of those Link to the Past esque action RPGs, right?

Also I need to continue my Tactics Ogre: LUCT playthrough soon.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Lufia 2, eh. Maybe I need to check it out. It's one of those Link to the Past esque action RPGs, right?

No, that's the (terrible) DS remake.
SNES original is legit one of the best RPGs on the system. Puzzle dungeons, no random encounters, great battle system, proto-Pokemon system and a separate rogue-like mode...

ara

Oct 26, 2017
No, that's the (terrible) DS remake.
SNES original is legit one of the best RPGs on the system. Puzzle dungeons, no random encounters, great battle system, proto-Pokemon system and a separate rogue-like mode...

Ah yeah, looks like I was thinking of something completely different.

Sounds good, I'll have to keep an eye on it in the future!

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing Gothic 1 for the first time ever. It's funny, I've played all the other Piranha Bytes games (well other then Elex which I will get to) but somehow have never played Gothic 1.

Loving the crap out of it so far. I just love how in their games you start off completely and utterly useless at *everything* and slowly grow to become a juggernaut. The world design is also amazing, and I really think Piranha Bytes are the best world designers in the industry. Their environments are always so dense with things to do, are always believable and full of cool environmental story telling and are just a joy to explore.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Gothic 1 is incredible. People seem to focus primarily on Gothic 2, like the first game isn't all that, but I really loved playing 1 for the first time back in December. It starts rough, especially the controls, but after I got used to the controls I wouldn't have them any other way.

Is there any way to play these two in English? I would love to.
AFAIK there are translated text scripts online but no patches for the games.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Ah. Yeah...

I always wanted to play the ps2 version of destiny. Leon mode ftw!

As for rebirth...besides the cameos i know little about it.

I've always heard good things about rebirth. Wonder why it never got ported over here.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I need to write my next JRPG wishlist at some point for the next time I go on a shopping spree. Thinking I need/want to delve SNES/PSX deeper in particular.

The lists above give me some ideas. Also know I need to get my hands on KMT.

Deleted member 2102

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny DC's translation script isn't really in a great state, unfortunately. There's a lot of missing dialog. Rebirth's got some really solid translated materials and mechanics guides, though. Definitely recommend playing though it referring to some (easily found) resources if you're interested.

I need to write my next JRPG wishlist at some point for the next time I go on a shopping spree. Thinking I need/want to delve SNES/PSX deeper in particular.

The lists above give me some ideas. Also know I need to get my hands on KMT.
I've been doing the same with PS2 recently. I tend to get into moods where I fixate on a single system's library. and yes, you absolutely do! KMT's a solid remake of Megami Tensei 1 and 2, with 2 being one of my favorites in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing Gothic 1 for the first time ever. It's funny, I've played all the other Piranha Bytes games (well other then Elex which I will get to) but somehow have never played Gothic 1.

Loving the crap out of it so far. I just love how in their games you start off completely and utterly useless at *everything* and slowly grow to become a juggernaut. The world design is also amazing, and I really think Piranha Bytes are the best world designers in the industry. Their environments are always so dense with things to do, are always believable and full of cool environmental story telling and are just a joy to explore.
Don't miss In Extremo

Edit: Oh, I just read they had to be removed from every version except the German one? That's....I mean I don't really like In Extremo but it was kinda neat back then?

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Don't miss In Extremo

Edit: Oh, I just read they had to be removed from every version except the German one? That's....I mean I don't really like In Extremo but it was kinda neat back then?

Lol, amazing.
Reminds me of Blind Guardian in Sacred 2.

What other RPGs have in-game concerts (either real bands or fictional bands)?
Off the top of my head I can think of Cosmic Star Heroine and a bunch of japanese games.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really think of many in-game concerts, RPG or not.
Alan Wake kinda? (Poets of the Fall is actually a really, really, really good band)

Also, since it looks like Vampire will win: The latest unofficial Fan patch 9.9 for the game (which I highly recommend btw) was released in October 2017 and the Beta for Version 10 was released not even two weeks ago.
It's amazing how much the fans support this game, warms my heart. Troika deserved better.
I should really play Arcanum at some point

blakdeth

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, amazing.
Reminds me of Blind Guardian in Sacred 2.

What other RPGs have in-game concerts (either real bands or fictional bands)?
Off the top of my head I can think of Cosmic Star Heroine and a bunch of japanese games.

WoW has Elite Tauren Chieftain playing Power of the Horde every few hours during Darkmoon Faire.

Oct 25, 2017
I looked whether up Arcanum on Steam and visited the Steam forums to check if that version runs on Windows and this is just the best thing I have seen all week
n8wnnHW.jpg

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing the same with PS2 recently. I tend to get into moods where I fixate on a single system's library. and yes, you absolutely do! KMT's a solid remake of Megami Tensei 1 and 2, with 2 being one of my favorites in the series.

Yeah, I tend to get into either developer or console moods.

Right now, I'm mostly in a long-lasting Atlus mood, which has been spent over various consoles, but predominately PS2. Ever since I came to them (very late--TMS#FE :P) I've been fixated on them.

I also had something of a DS/3DS mood over the past couple years but a lot of that went into non-RPGs (e.g. Ace Attorney) even though I've built up a decent RPG back-catalog for them now (a lot of crossover with the Atlus interest).

I was developing a SNES mood as I played SMT1&2 and GoHIII in January/February but haven't done much on it in March/April. I've been meaning to pick up where I left off on FE MotE though and actually put it in the SNES today so...maybe that continues from there. (I want it to).

(In the background, I've had a Switch mood since it launched--I think that took some, not all, of the wind out of my 3DS/DS sails).

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The club poll is now closed! And the winner is...

iu

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines!

Thread/etc. incoming soon.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
I can't really think of many in-game concerts, RPG or not.
Alan Wake kinda? (Poets of the Fall is actually a really, really, really good band)

Also, since it looks like Vampire will win: The latest unofficial Fan patch 9.9 for the game (which I highly recommend btw) was released in October 2017 and the Beta for Version 10 was released not even two weeks ago.
It's amazing how much the fans support this game, warms my heart. Troika deserved better.
I should really play Arcanum at some point

Sacred 2 had a Blind Guardian concert.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
So Bloodlines eh? Hmm. I guess I could do a modded run through, haven't there been a lot of mods to update and fix issues with the game? I miss Troika, those guys were part of a lot of great RPGs.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Played a little MotE. It seems I left off on Book 1, chapter 11. Took me quite a while to figure out it was my thief that could lower the drawbridge and in the meantime the enemy thieves were looting the chests. So I started again and did it quicker but I got killed by the sniper guarding the treasure room. I think the guy that steals the silver card is going to get away (sadly) but I can tighten things up so that I don't die to that silver bow guy again (or my killing edge could actually crit on him...). I'll try it again later.

Wrt Bloodlines...I have that game in my "gifts" section because I bought it for someone only to have them buy it for themselves before the day to send it out came :P. I've tried moving it from there to my library but it always says "already redeemed" so I guess I'd need to buy it again. (I also tried gifting it to myself to see if it was just the one type of movement bugged but that also says "already redeemed.")

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
That's nice. Hadn't actually looked at how expensive it would be to buy again :P. Certainly makes me less frustrated with my steam situation.

Scar

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Title Town
Ah. Never played this one. This rpg actually ranked pretty high in my old favorite rpg of all times poll.

Will be interesting to finally sink my teeth into it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
The club poll is now closed! And the winner is...

iu

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines!

Thread/etc. incoming soon.

Oh shit, nice. I started a first-ever playthrough a while back but got stuck, so I'll probably just continue it and if it turns out I was close to the end, start a new run as a Malkavian for the club.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
So, to make it interesting, any Bloodlines veterans up for a run with a randomly assigned Clan? Maybe in a group of 7 with every clan assigned to a different player?

Monorojo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are old pc rpgs still playable and enjoyable today? If not, where is the cutoff? What about nes/snes rpgs?

Oct 25, 2017
A good way to get into older cRPGs is to check out the Enhanced Editions Beamdog is doing, simply because they clean up the UI a bit and add some QoL functions that can easy you into it.

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard really good things about Bloodlines and always wanted to play it. I actually own it on Steam so I guess I'll play it as a part of the club.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are old pc rpgs still playable and enjoyable today? If not, where is the cutoff? What about nes/snes rpgs?

No cutoff for me, personally. I enjoy baseline roleplaying mechanics enough that older ones are still a good time as long as I can get them to run, but an interesting story premise or work helps. About the only thing that makes it "difficult" is readjusting to reading through manuals instead of relying on in-game tutorials. A lot of older cRPGs have enough commands that you can't feasibly feel it out without one - even titles with comparatively simple GUIs like Fallout.

btw here is the community patch 9.9 for Bloodlines, I would highly recommend it since it fixes some bugs and adds higher resolutions (among tons of other things). It works with the Steam version as well

http://www.patches-scrolls.de/patch/4647/7/74622

Is there any benefit to 9.9 over the version 10 beta?

Started Bloodlines last night and already loving it. The dialog's so endearingly campy and the mechanics seem neat. Pen and paper adaptations like this are something that I wish we got more of today.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017

It varies obviously but a lot are still super playable. In the past month or so I've played Might and Magic 3 (1991) and Pool of Radiance (1988) and both have very intuitive keyboard based interfaces. And M&M3 visually and audibly holds up quite well with some great enemy sprites that remind me of Dragon Quest and a fantastic soundtrack

Once you get into mid-90s then just about everything is very playable and enjoyable provided the game was worth playing to begin with.

A nice bonus is that a lot of the high profile CRPGs from the mid-90s and beyond have excellent communities that have continued to issue fan patches so now you can play Might and Magic 6, for example, with mouse look and other quality of life improvements.