• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
I finished up Pool of Radiance last night. Even though I was playing with judicious mod use via the Gold Box Companion, this felt like a true accomplishment to me. It's the oldest game I've tackled on this current attack on my backlog. It was a lot of fun, and more addicting/compelling than I had anticipated. I normally only get to play games after my kids are in bed, but due to the lack of sound and the turn-based nature doesn't consume my whole attention I dared to play some while they were awake and active. By the end though I rushed through the final couple zones, since my characters had mostly hit the level cap and I was leaving most treasure behind because I was already holding more than I could carry (the encumbrance caused by currency was probably my least favorite part of the game). But still had a great time and really glad I gave it a shot.

unknown.png

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Also a little late on this (I intended to have it up last week) but I looked through a bunch of releases that are happening in Feb. Some of them may be RPG-adjacent or just have RPG elements but I'll let others decide what interests them.

Also check out Labadal's Upcoming threadmarks! They're broken down by type/style with links to the official sites.

Upcoming Console RPGs by Labadal
Upcoming PC RPGs by Labadal

February Upcoming Release & Recap

Feb 1
Wargroove
XB1, Switch, PC (PS4 later)
Trailer

Feb 5
The Mage's Tale (VR)
PS4 (previously released on PC)
Trailer

Away: Journey to the Unexpected
PS4, Switch (Feb 7th), XB1 (Feb 8th)
Trailer

Evoland Legendary Edition
PS4, Switch (Feb 7th), XB1 (Feb 8th)
Trailer

Etrian Odyssey Nexus
3DS
Trailer

Ages of Mages
PS4, XB1 (Feb 6th), PC
Trailer

Feb 6
Salt and Sanctuary
XB1 (previously released on PC, PS4)
Trailer

Magic Scroll Tactics
Switch
Trailer

Feb 8th
God Eater 3
PS4, PC
Trailer

Yo-Kai Watch 3
3DS
Trailer

Feb 19
Death end re;Quest
PS4
Trailer

Sinner: Sacrifice for Redemption
PC (Previously released on PS4, Switch, XB1)
Trailer

Unexplored: Unlocked Edition
PS4, XB1 (Feb 22) (Previously released on Switch)
Trailer

Yakuza Kiwami
PC (Previously released on PS4)
Trailer

Feb 22
Anthem
PS4, PC, XB1
Trailer

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles
XB1 (Previously released on PS4, PC, Switch)
Trailer

Ghost of a Tale
PS4, XB1 (Previously released on PC)
Trailer

Path of Exile
PS4 (Previously released on PC, XB1)
Trailer

---

Anything you guys are picking up / already have picked up? Anything you'll pick up later?

I'm grabbing Wargroove for Switch but I'm going to wait a little bit to start it until my Smash matches die down so I can go back to rpgs on it. I nabbed God Eater 3 as mentioned previously, really enjoying that. Etrian Odyssey Nexus is on my list but I'm still on IV, so I'll wait a little. Looking forward, the only game I have left this month is Death end re;Quest. Anthem is a skip for me and I already own Yakuza Kiwami on PS4.

Q1 has been pretty expensive so far and it doesn't look like it's gonna let up.

Last edited:

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Playing EO Nexus at the moment—yes I caved per my edit. I'm enjoying it. Not planning on buying any other RPGs coming out this month at the moment, but we'll see.

Curious when a) FE3H, b) ToCS PS4, and c) Grandia HD come out.

Further term, curious about SMTV, Re:Fantasy, and Ys IX.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I finished up Pool of Radiance last night. Even though I was playing with judicious mod use via the Gold Box Companion, this felt like a true accomplishment to me. It's the oldest game I've tackled on this current attack on my backlog. It was a lot of fun, and more addicting/compelling than I had anticipated. I normally only get to play games after my kids are in bed, but due to the lack of sound and the turn-based nature doesn't consume my whole attention I dared to play some while they were awake and active. By the end though I rushed through the final couple zones, since my characters had mostly hit the level cap and I was leaving most treasure behind because I was already holding more than I could carry (the encumbrance caused by currency was probably my least favorite part of the game). But still had a great time and really glad I gave it a shot.

unknown.png

What does negative AC mean? You basically will get hit by everything?

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
What does negative AC mean? You basically will get hit by everything?
Negative AC is good in D&D pre-3rd edition.

It's unintuitive, but AC of your opponent is effectively added to your to-hit roll by subtracting it from your THAC0 (base AC is 10, so if you have a "to-hit" of 20 ("THAC0" or "to hit Armor Class 0") and your opponent's AC is 10, your threshold to hit their AC is 20 - 10 = 10). If their AC is 5, your threshold is 15, so they're harder to hit.
(I think I got that right - it's been a long time since I played the proper tabletop)

I'm really glad successor systems made things simpler by making high "armor class" numbers good.

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
Negative AC is good in D&D pre-3rd edition.

It's unintuitive, but AC of your opponent is effectively added to your to-hit roll by subtracting it from your THAC0 (base AC is 10, so if you have a "to-hit" of 20 ("THAC0" or "to hit Armor Class 0") and your opponent's AC is 10, your threshold to hit their AC is 20 - 10 = 10). If their AC is 5, your threshold is 15, so they're harder to hit.
(I think I got that right - it's been a long time since I played the proper tabletop)

I'm really glad successor systems made things simpler by making high "armor class" numbers good.

Yeah, what he said. Lower numbers for AC and THAC0 are better.

Oct 30, 2017
I thought this was an interesting read on writing for RPGs. It's by MRY, known for Primordia.

RPG Codex Editorial: Without Map, Compass, or Destination - MRY on RPG Writing

That post and the thread for it is really interesting. As much as the codex can be an exhausting place write ups like that are why I still check in on it a couple times a week. That post also made me go back and read the Darth Raxor review of PoE 1 and that was pretty interesting as well.

One take away I had from that discussion was that world building should not take the form of wordy dialogue. Each NPC should give a little insight in to the world through their quest and personality and that as a whole should give you a sense of the game world. NPC dialogue should mostly be about revealing the character and personality of the NPC not telling you about the game world.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Well part of that is worlds should be multivocal and lore at times even conflicting—that is important to making something feel at all real.

Part of the problem of products of the human intellect is there is an overweening predilection to rationalize and organize. Partly that is what you want to do: you want to offer a compelling vision, which is a sort of statement and one of the ways to make a statement compelling is to make it clearly say something (worthwhile). But this should be balanced against a fraying at the edges, minor gaps and inconsistencies that build up as the world is experienced that don't take away from the vision but add an element of the unknown and incongruity. That is a vision with multiple semi contradicting but somehow mutually reinforcing facades. Strong sense of perspective in characters can play into this because, well, people tend to see different things within different frames. It makes them more believable but also the underlying world.

RPG Blitz Info (Join Us!)

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Sunday~

We wanted to invite our friends here in the OT to join us in the next season of the RPG Blitz, which will start on March 1st. It's a program that we've been running since November in the discord to have members tackle their backlogs with a little incentive to do so (beyond just chipping away at the ever-growing pile of games). This program has nothing to do with the Backlog Blitz on the front page, we just lovingly borrowed the name last year and put our own spin on it. We had 29 people join us for the pilot/first season. In total, 62 RPGs on the list were completed. Not too bad~ We had a bit of overlap on games, which was great because people playing the games at the same time made it feel like a mini RPG Club. Most notably, we had 6-7 of us all playing through Mother 1, hence the sudden influx of write-ups a few pages back.

So, how does it work?

***Updated for Season 5***

luPRJav.png

Overview
Members will select up to five (5) games from their backlog for their list. Upon completing the game, you'll receive one (1) point/entry for the raffle at the very end. The RPG Club Theme game will be worth two (2) points. The Blitz will go for three months at a time, with a month of break/downtime between in which Mini Blitzes will take place. The three month time frame is to be accommodating to all types of players with different degrees of patience, focus, and time. From those who can knock out a 40-hour RPG in a week to those who can only finish one a season, we wanted to give everyone a fair shot and not feel pressured to complete a game in a time limit.

The downtime/off-season is to give us time to perform the raffle, distribute the prizes, gather feedback, make any changes, add new features/bonuses, and prepare for the next one as well as let people focus on new releases. During this downtime, however, a themed mini-blitz will run. These are not usually tied to RPGs, so we don't really post about it much in this thread. Mini-blitzes will be more open in regards to rules with a smaller maximum number of games and less restrictions overall due to the shorter runtime.

At the end of the Blitz season, we'll perform the aforementioned raffle which will include prizes such as store credit (Amazon, eShop, PSN, Steam, XBL) and game keys (often Steam keys unless we get our hands on some other platform codes.)

Rules
  • Your list should only consist of RPGs and the many subgenres, variants, and RPG-adjacent games.
    • We don't really police choices or argue what is and what isn't an RPG, but we may ask you to choose something else if you pick something like Call of Duty just because it has XP. If there is a good argument and you feel that a game has enough RPG elements to qualify, please feel free to add it. Just note that other participants may question the choice so your explanation/justification may be called upon.
  • You can swap out games for any reason.
    • This is more to help combat choice paralysis and encourage focusing on a game. However, you shouldn't be punished for not liking a game 10hrs in.
  • Your list should consist of games released prior to the season starting.
    • We encourage people to dig deeper into their backlog, but we also believe that preventing a game from being tossed into the pile is just as important. If a single game from your list releases shortly after the blitz starts, we'll likely accept it as there is a two week grace period.
  • Do not be rude, disrespectful, or overly negative of other users list choices.
    • This isn't to prevent criticism by any means. Everyone has different tastes and opinions. Feel free to criticize games as you wish, just try to avoid targeting a user. What we want to avoid is a situation where someone feels like they shouldn't enjoy or even play the games they have listed. (e.g. stating "User X has shit taste because they picked XYZ.", "I can't believe anyone would bother playing ABCIV.", "Imagine being a fan of Game/Company." etc.)
F.A.Q.

Q. Why doesn't this have its own thread?

A. We'd like to keep it contained to our little community here.

Q. Is this replacing the RPG Club?
A. The RPG Club has been rolled into the blitz as a themed entry worth two points. The RPG Club threads may return in the future, but it is currently on hiatus.

Q. If some of us are playing the same game, do we have to play at the same time?
A. No, like the RPG Club, it's generally asynchronous group playthroughs/lets play. Feel free to sync up with someone if you wish though.

Q. I just saw this after the season started. Can I join late?
A. Absolutely, just be aware you have less time than everyone who started when the season started given the hard stop date.

Q. Do I have to select five games?
A. Nope! You can do one if you want.

Q. Can I add games later?
A. Yes! But please make sure the game was released prior to the blitz starting (or within the grace period.)

Q. Does order matter?
A. Nope! But the 5th slot is where you'll put the RPG Club Theme game.

Q. Do I need to beat all five games to win anything?
A. Absolutely not. Finishing one game will get you an entry into the raffle. People who finish more simply have more chances is all.

Q. What if I drop a game? Can I replace it?
A. Absolutely. The rule has evolved over time to be more flexible with people's lives and schedules. If you drop a game for any reason, we do appreciate a note of why. This doesn't affect your blitz and its not required, but its considered feedback. (E.g. dropping War of Fantasy: Origins as I can't stomach the characters any longer.)

Q. Can I beat more than 5 games for more entries?
A. To make it fair for those with less time/focus, we're capping it at 5 games for you to receive entries on for the blitz.

Q. Am I required to beat all five games?
A. Nope! Go at your own pace. We selected five as a maximum to ensure everyone has a fair shot.

Q. Am I required to be in the discord to participate?
A. No. We understand that not everyone likes discord/our particular discord. We've rolled the blitz out to everyone in the OT with season 2. You're welcome to join if you wish.

Q. Do remasters, late ports, and remakes count?
A. Remasters with additional content will not count towards the replay limit. Remakes will count as new. Late ports released after the season starts are allowed as long as the original was released prior.

Q. Do replays count?
A. While replays are accepted, we ask that your list be primarily unfinished games. The majority of your list should be unfinished games.

Q. Can I use an old save?
A. Of course. If you have an old save where you stopped for whatever reason, feel free to pick it back up and complete it from there.

Q. If I fail to complete a game in a blitz, can I include it in my list on the next?
A. Yes, you can include any game with any amount of progress in a blitz, even if it was in a previous blitz but unfinished.

Q. Is proof required?
A. A screenshot or picture helps, but we will largely be using the honor system unless it's abused. Write-ups and general thoughts in the thread/server certainly are encouraged.

Q. Why 3-months?
A. We don't want to create an unfair advantage towards people with more time or focus than others. We also don't want people to shirk new games and dump them into their backlog.

Q. Why is it called a blitz if we're not rushing or speeding through?
A. We're going off the definition of blitz as a coordinated effort to achieve something and not so much a quick rush.

Q. Can I donate prizes/keys?
A. If you'd like to donate a key or a prize, feel free. We ask that you hang onto it until the raffle though.

Q. I don't live in the US. Am I still eligible for prizes?
A. Yes, but please note that it may take us some time to get your credit to you. Steam keys should be global, but storefronts are often regionalized and require some jumping through hoops to get a card in your currency. The last ditch effort is to just paypal you the funds, but if you don't feel comfortable sharing your paypal info, we can find another option.

We hope you'll join us for this season. We had a lot of fun in here and the discord talking up what we thought about the games, playing together, giving live updates, making journal entries, recaps, write-ups, reviews, and more. It's always been about driving discussion in a positive manner, so we hope to continue that with the larger community here. The preliminary list is live now and it'll be locked on March 1st. A lot of us are planning on playing Earthbound together. A few of us will be catching up on the Trails series with Sky SC. Some members look like they'll be playing some classics they never got around to, checking out what the Wii U had to offer, dipping their toes into the vast world of CRPGs, and delving into PC Engine games.

If you'd like to join, just write your username on the sheet and fill in your list of five games. The names will be alphabetized later so it'll be easier to read/find yourself/others. Below are the links to the spreadsheet we have as well as a link to the discord if you're interested in joining us there. You can also find the discord link in the OP.

Last edited:

Thores

Oct 25, 2017
I can vouch for the RPG Blitz! It's a great incentive to plug away at my backlog while also getting to discuss a bunch of good RPGs with the community. Definitely join us if there's any RPGs that you've been meaning to get around to, but could use an extra push with.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
The blitz was great last time around I think nearly 10 of us ended playing Mother and now a bunch of people are playing Earthbound this time around including a few of us replaying it just to participate in the discussion. Should be a good time.

I'd like to add that while you might think you don't have the time to get through 5 games or even 3 several people just had fun talking about games and only finished one (or less even) and heck the person who won the first (or was it second?) prize only had 1 game completed. I encourage everyone who is even slightly interested to participate, it was a ton of fun and really has been driving me in particular to tackle my backlog in a pretty big way. I've finished some 10-15 games on my backlog since this started, several shorter titles like Mother 1 and Ys but its really been a fun time.

Also if you are interested in playing some of these games with other people absolutely do it. Like I said a bunch of us are playing Earthbound (replaying in my case) this time around but I'm also playing Fire Emblem 4 with Fou-Lu this time around as well and plan to do DQVI and likely Mother 3 with a few people in the blitz after this upcoming one.

Oh I should mention feel free to ask for recommendations either on here or Discord if you need help with your list. Many of us have had help from others narrowing down our selections or just taking general recommendations from other users. It's a lot of fun and I hope we see some more people join in!

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This early year I've been concentrating on actually completing my games before the blitz latwr this year, so right now I plan on getting through ToV, finishing up okami and getting back to the world ends with you, finally start my 1st ever play through of FF9

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I believe in you Five, you can do it this time.

This early year I've been concentrating on actually completing my games before the blitz latwr this year, so right now I plan on getting through ToV, finishing up okami and getting back to the world ends with you, finally start my 1st ever play through of FF9

I like FF9. How are ToV and Okami going?

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
I'd like to add that while you might think you don't have the time to get through 5 games or even 3 several people just had fun talking about games and only finished one (or less even) and heck the person who won the first (or was it second?) prize only had 1 game completed. I encourage everyone who is even slightly interested to participate, it was a ton of fun and really has been driving me in particular to tackle my backlog in a pretty big way. I've finished some 10-15 games on my backlog since this started, several shorter titles like Mother 1 and Ys but its really been a fun time.

Why are you shaming me? :negativeman:

it's not my fault that Valkyria Chronicles 4 was huge and delayed my participation in the first Blitz.

lol, I started my first game one month after everyone else and there was no chance I'd beat FFXII before the first season was over. It seems that some people are going to play Final Fantasy XII for this Blitz. I'm aiming at beating at least three games this time, one per month. Of course, it would be even better if I could beat all of them.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you shaming me? :negativeman:

it's not my fault that Valkyria Chronicles 4 was huge and delayed my participation in the first Blitz.

lol, I started my first game one month after everyone else and there was no chance I'd beat FFXII before the first season was over. It seems that some people are going to play Final Fantasy XII for this Blitz. I'm aiming at beating at least three games this time, one per month. Of course, it would be even better if I could beat all of them.
lol no shame Iva! Just wanted to mention that it wasn't just people who got 5 points that won. I thought some people might feel discouraged for joining if they didn't think they'd have the time to do all 5. Just wanted to encourage them :P

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully I don't get side tracked again by other RPG's and then don't finish all my blitz games.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
Still working on EO Nexus and not doing anything with MT1. Also started (not an RPG I know) RE2 but haven't made much progress yet--plying on hardcore and it is harder to set aside the big chunks for it with the save system it has even though I can end up playing EO for as long as I would RE, because I can also just close my 3DS at anytime and walk away.

Xetherion

Oct 30, 2017
I entered the Blitz just to hopefully get myself into working on my backlog, but whoever's in charge please note I don't want to be entered in the raffle. That's really cool of you all to do, but my financial situation is good enough that I can buy any games I want so I'd rather the prizes go to others.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't been feeling like playing RPG for a month. I know next month I will fully devote to Trails of Cold Steel 4 so maybe it's just my body getting ready for it.

It's been harder and harder for me to complete 70 hour RPGs for the last two years. I can only mange 2 of them a year, which is kinda bad cuz my backlog is filled with long ass RPGs, starting with Xenogear.

Last edited:

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been feeling like playing RPG for a month. I know next month I will fully devote to Trails of Cold Steel 4 so maybe it's just my body getting ready for it.

It's been harder and harder for me to complete 70 hour RPGs for the last two years. I can only mange 2 of them a year, which is kinda bad cuz my backlog is filled with long ass RPGs, starting with Xenogear.

When I was younger, I lamented games under 30-40 hours. Now I find myself wanting to be done around 40. Unfortunately I'm in the same boat as you with a backlog of 50-80 hour games.

Knurek

Oct 26, 2017
Even a 100+ hour RPG is not an issue.
The issue is that most of 80+ hour ones have 20-30 hours of good content and the rest is padding.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
That's definitely one of the nice things about playing lots of older games—there are a lot of classics ranging from ten to twenty to forty to sixty hours. There are a lot of longer ones as well especially as the generations build but still.

Oct 30, 2017
I joined the discord in preparation for the backblog blitz. I have to figure out which five games I want to include, even though I'll only probably finish one. I just got a switch and have been playing Breath of the Wild, which will probably take up the bulk of my gaming time. Being old and having responsibilities means I can typically only finish five games a year.

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
Hi everyone, been a thread lurker for quite some time but I also want to join the RPG Blitz.

I have lots of unfinished RPGs that I still want to finish so this would be a great incentive to beat some of them!

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

New releases this week! Kiwami for PC may have to happen, been dying to play the games again.
...do the Japanese have a different understanding/idea of semicolons than other countries do?

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017

New releases this week! Kiwami for PC may have to happen, been dying to play the games again.
...do the Japanese have a different understanding/idea of semicolons than other countries do?

Death end re;Quest is about murders in the real world and the corruption (bugs, glitches, errors, etc) of the virtual world and how the two overlap not-so-elegantly, so the naming convention is at least in line with the theme of the game.

Also I think you're correct regardless.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I might try this too. I plan to play Trails of Cold Steel 4, Parasite Eve, Nier: Automata, and Illusion of Gaia. Can't think of a fifth one yet. I guess Utawarerumono can pass as a SRPG?

I joined the discord in preparation for the backblog blitz. I have to figure out which five games I want to include, even though I'll only probably finish one. I just got a switch and have been playing Breath of the Wild, which will probably take up the bulk of my gaming time. Being old and having responsibilities means I can typically only finish five games a year.
Well BotW is a RPG in some sense, so you already have one in your pocket!