• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017
Signed Up for the Blitz. I'm going to mainly be playing Tactics Ogre and Live-a-Live intermixed with trying to finish up Three Houses. I just don't have as much time for gaming these days even if I do try to focus on it with the Blitz. Hopefully I'll at least finish two, and it's always fun ready everybodies impressions and writing my own.

OP
OP

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you recommend Arc Rise Fantasia for the Wii? (or any other rpgs for the Wii)
I personally recommend ARF as a hidden gem JRPG for sure. You may or may not like it but it's worth a shot since it definitely has its merits. I only recommend doing SOMETHING about the voices, either turning them off completely or playing the game on Dolphin with an undub patch. The voicework is terrible and I think it's the primary reason why the game is dismissed despite being much better than its reputation.

For other RPGs on the Wii - Pandora's Tower is more action-adventure than RPG, but I also recommend it. It's the forgotten final Operation Rainfall game and is my favorite of the three (other two being Xenoblade and The Last Story).

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
I finally beat a game.
Great writeup. I like this game a lot, but I've never managed to overcome the final boss. Surprised all it took was a little gem grinding; I was wary of raising my levels any more than I already did since he scales to you. Maybe I'll finally knock this one out next blitz. Also I'd like to share this track that I still listen to occasionally, Riding on the Dragon:

Sevacro

Oct 4, 2019
I personally recommend ARF as a hidden gem JRPG for sure. You may or may not like it but it's worth a shot since it definitely has its merits. I only recommend doing SOMETHING about the voices, either turning them off completely or playing the game on Dolphin with an undub patch. The voicework is terrible and I think it's the primary reason why the game is dismissed despite being much better than its reputation.

For other RPGs on the Wii - Pandora's Tower is more action-adventure than RPG, but I also recommend it. It's the forgotten final Operation Rainfall game and is my favorite of the three (other two being Xenoblade and The Last Story).
Have already played Xenoblade (amongst my favourite games of all time) and Last Story so I will definitely check out Pandora's Tower. Thanks for the ARF explanation too.

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
I signed up for the blitz with Undertale, Yokai Watch 2 Psychic Specters, Bravely Default, Fantasy Life, and Final Fantasy VII.

It's hard dusting the ol' 3DS off, but I started playing Fantasy Life last night. It's pretty charming, as expected. I wish I had a physical copy though, because the 3DS of mine it's stuck on cannot access online services. This means I can't explore the multiplayer features nor can I purchase the DLC. If I enjoy the game a lot I might rebuy it physically or on my other 3DS.

I also started a new game in Bravely Default. At least three times I've played to 30 hours or so, but this time I hope to finish it. I was spoiled for a big thing in the story a few years ago, but I'm not really playing for that, I chose this game because I wanted some turn-based goodness.

I hope I can finish at least two of my blitz games. I know I will get distracted by others once I can afford them...

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Do you recommend Arc Rise Fantasia for the Wii? (or any other rpgs for the Wii)
I personally didn't like it, but mechanically it was pretty good. I'd recommend it if you won't get tired of poor voicework and super-anime story.

Other good RPGs for the Wii
Pandora's Tower was mentioned, it's an excellent game if you want to feel bad for playing games (only somewhat sarcastic - this is the only game to make me feel really bad for something I did).
The Last Story is a little cliche, but a fun, relatively quick RPG.
Opoona is great if you don't mind the sort of childlike aesthetic, the translation is pretty dry and has some minor errors but everything else is good and it can be controlled entirely from the nunchuk!

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
Since I just had one in The Witcher 3 and there is one in Outer Worlds I gotta ask:

Is having a the twist of this sidequest is that these people are cannibals!!!! side quest going to be the thing to include for western RPGs? Though to be fair, these are the only two I can think about that have it but it already feels like a well-worn trope for the genre to me already. Though maybe also you can smell them from miles away.

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
Great writeup. I like this game a lot, but I've never managed to overcome the final boss. Surprised all it took was a little gem grinding; I was wary of raising my levels any more than I already did since he scales to you. Maybe I'll finally knock this one out next blitz. Also I'd like to share this track that I still listen to occasionally, Riding on the Dragon:

Yeh, my problem was that I lost my Black Mage during the battle and couldn't revive AND cast Mysterio on them for protection before the boss attacked again. I upgraded everyone's shields to +9 and when I finally won none of my characters got knocked out. There was also an element of RNG since when Chaos used Black Hole, the move which removes a party member from battle for 3 turns, it always hit Brandt, who was just a secondary damage dealer as a Dark Fencer.

Since I just had one in The Witcher 3 and there is one in Outer Worlds I gotta ask:

Is having a the twist of this sidequest is that these people are cannibals!!!! side quest going to be the thing to include for western RPGs? Though to be fair, these are the only two I can think about that have it but it already feels like a well-worn trope for the genre to me already. Though maybe also you can smell them from miles away.

I believe there were similar quests in Fallout 3 and Skyrim, can't think of any others at the moment.

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
I finished up The Outer Worlds as my first Blitz game the other day, and really ended up enjoying it. It did feel like a more streamlined hybrid of the 3D Fallouts and the Mass Effect games, which I guess is my sweet spot. Some of the areas did end up being kind of repetitive and a little too big for their own good, but I think they worked out all right.

I didn't care too much for the story at first, but as I completed all the companion quests and got further into the main storyline it grew on me. The factions all seemed flawed and nobody was a perfect choice, but that made it feel more real. I'm overall happy with the choices that I made. Although there was one quest at the end of the Sublight faction line that I'm not sure if it bugged out or was supposed to go this way, but it made one of those choices for me.

After exploring the abandoned research space station, you go to the scientist's house back in Byzantium. In the secret lab under her house your assignment is to kill her, but I was able to talk her into coming into my side and joining up with Phineas instead. But the corporate guards with her don't like it, and they give me 2 dialogue choices, but both lead to them attacking. I figured I would need to put the guards down, but as soon as combat started the scientist would also turn aggro and my companions would kill her almost immediately, even though she already agreed to join my side. I reloaded and retried this several time, even leaving my companions out of the room but the scientist would always turn aggro, even after I finished off the guards and she was the only one left she wouldn't initiate dialogue and just kept shooting me. So I killed her and collected the original bounty on her that I was sent there for, c'est la vie.

If there's one major point I dislike about the game though, it's the inventory system. It's still better than looking a a pip-boy all the time, but not being able to see what you're currently wearing while in a merchant screen is just silly in 2019. And even the gear comparison system within your own items is just weird. And drowning in consumables wasn't a good feeling either. I never had the heart to just sell everything and I tried to consciously force myself to remember to use them before battles, but it was overwhelming. To the point where I took any available perk and mod to increase my carry capacity and just stopped thinking about them entirely.

Overall though it was a fun ride that didn't overstay its welcome. Probably the best $1 I've spent in gaming ever.

Rufus

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
After exploring the abandoned research space station, you go to the scientist's house back in Byzantium. In the secret lab under her house your assignment is to kill her, but I was able to talk her into coming into my side and joining up with Phineas instead. But the corporate guards with her don't like it, and they give me 2 dialogue choices, but both lead to them attacking. I figured I would need to put the guards down, but as soon as combat started the scientist would also turn aggro and my companions would kill her almost immediately, even though she already agreed to join my side. I reloaded and retried this several time, even leaving my companions out of the room but the scientist would always turn aggro, even after I finished off the guards and she was the only one left she wouldn't initiate dialogue and just kept shooting me. So I killed her and collected the original bounty on her that I was sent there for, c'est la vie.
There are dialog options to smoothe things over, but you won't see them if your skills aren't close enough (or changed the option to never show skill requirements you don't meet).

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
There are dialog options to smoothe things over, but you won't see them if your skills aren't close enough (or changed the option to never show skill requirements you don't meet).

Yeah I figured there might be more options like that but I assumed that even when the fights did break out the key person would be on my side based on their prior responses.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
Finally finished Ni No Kuni for real. White Witch epilogue was less tedius than I thought, it even feels kind of under developed and rushed, and yeah, original ending was far more stronger but whatever, it was fine for what it was.

I was very hyped when Ni No Kuni 2 was first announced but after the initial reviews and seeing the first few hours of the game I can see how it really fell off in some areas compared to the original and I don't have any intention of buying it. Level 5 worries me these days.

Dunno what I will play next.

Jun 14, 2019
Not sure if posted

Gujian 3 gets English translation 15 November (official translation) voices will be Chinese still

store.steampowered.com

Gujian3(古剑奇谭三) on Steam

Gujian 3 is a mass 3D single-person RPG developed by Aurogon Info & Tech (Shanghai), a subsidiary of Wangyuan Shengtang. As the latest hit of the Gujian series, it boasts more free and smooth combat experience with its full real-time combat system. This generation expands the world of Gujian...

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if posted

Gujian 3 gets English translation 15 November (official translation) voices will be Chinese still

store.steampowered.com

Gujian3(古剑奇谭三) on Steam

Gujian 3 is a mass 3D single-person RPG developed by Aurogon Info & Tech (Shanghai), a subsidiary of Wangyuan Shengtang. As the latest hit of the Gujian series, it boasts more free and smooth combat experience with its full real-time combat system. This generation expands the world of Gujian...

Oh, cool, thanks!

Makoto

Oct 27, 2017
So glad that I found this thread! This Blitz system sounds so much fun and the RPG Club choice is a good excuse to pick something different to play. This will be my list for this trimester. I hope it is ok according to the rules.

- Dragon Quest V
- Dragon Quest Builders
- Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
- Pokémon Shield
- Parasite Eve

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
Second game of the blitz down, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

XUmR1Ho.jpg

Picked this one up back where I left off in July, took 27 and a half hours, and getting the platinum took an extra 7 hours.

This is a weird one because I started played it soon after I finished Hollow Knight for the indie blitz. And it kind of pales in comparison. It feels like most of the ideas were set in stone from years ago and there is very little that is fresh. More precisely, as a Kickstarter project, a lot of decisions seem to be based on what would be crowd-pleasers, aimed at the audience who already loves Symphony of the Night.

The shard system is fun to play around with, and going around gathering shards from enemies just to see what they offer was a big drive for me. One of the best things is how you can upgrade Passive Shards to a point so they become a permanent skill, and then change your passive to something else or keep both on for an increased effect. I used this with the Augment Gold shard to boost how much money I was getting. There's a cool quality of life feature where you can have multiple loadouts of shards and equipment and change between them by holding a shoulder button and selecting from a radial shortcut menu. Outside of just using the best loadout for the situation, it also allows you to mess around with different powers rather than just throwing spears at everything.

I enjoyed the crafting because of a few key things. Firstly, everything you craft is then available for purchase in the nearby shop right after making it for the first time, so if you have a lot of money but not much materials, you can still get the items you want. Secondly, you can break down all items you make back into their constituent parts, useful if you want to recycle an item that drops very rarely from a difficult monster. Finally, you can craft food! While the majority of craftable items are weapons, armour and consumables, the food category is separate because each unique meal gives you a permanent stat boost. This can be one of the major stats such as strength or intelligence but also the rate at which your mana recharges or an experience multiplier. For equipment I mostly stuck to what I found but whenever I got new recipes for food I tried to make them as soon as I could.

It's a shame that there was nothing to draw me to the story or the characters. They feel like they are there as an obligation and you will do fine if you just ignore it. Unfortunately there are also some problems technically, specifically frame rate stuff. I'm not normally one to notice these things but it stuck out to me a lot. The problem is that movement and attacking should be effortlessly smooth, and I've had the game trip up repeatedly while transitioning from one screen to another, and also when enemies die and the game is trying to figure out if it should give me an item or a shard. It generally interrupts the flow of the game so much that it progressed past just being an inconvenience.

Game is good but I hope that the next one from this studio will have its own identity and not be a less memorable version of an all-time great.

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats! I'm just about done with Undertale, once I finish that Bloodstained will be my next game too.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
So glad that I found this thread! This Blitz system sounds so much fun and the RPG Club choice is a good excuse to pick something different to play. This will be my list for this trimester. I hope it is ok according to the rules.

- Dragon Quest V
- Dragon Quest Builders
- Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
- Pokémon Shield
- Parasite Eve

I added you to the spreadsheet!

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Finished Trails of Cold Steel III the other day, which also happened to be part of my blitz. Put in a little over 100 hours, doing most of what the game had to offer with the sidequests (got S rank near the end). I think most of what the game offers is better than its two predecessors, but parts are considerable worse. Like the models of the female characters, certain outfits, camera always focusing on boobs, sexual harassment & assault, egging on forbidden romances (big age gaps, teacher-student, brother-sister). It's completely unnecessary and downright creepy. Like it's one thing to have characters with a warped sense of love, it's another thing to encourage them with it and also show it.

Putting my grievances aside for a moment. The game does deliver in multiple ways. Improved UI/graphics, combat even more fun (and also broken), plenty of new towns and cities. The game is huge. It still follows the formula to a T but also knows exactly how to leverage the most out of it. I feel pretty satisfied with what they revealed in this game and it really is a mix of a lot of things that make up Erebonia. Yet it is also disappointing in the end that it takes another game to expand more on it and even then it got so convoluted they're doing a side story to cover the loose ends here lol. Like I knew that going in, but you still feel that pain when you end a game like that hah.

More things I like about the game is how Rean is different as a teacher than a student, where he can be more honest and knows a lot more about what's going on. The new class VII also feels right at home even if they're just a good excuse to move the plot further and have them be connected to certain characters.

On the localization I was a bit worried there, but considering NISA's other work this seems better than most. That's not a sign of praise or anything but merely an observation. Typically you would find both excellent lines, in written and voiced dialogue, as well as shoddy ones next to each other. This does suck as the quality should be more consistent when you're eight games into a series, but it's also not a disaster like how ys 8 launched. I for one am glad that at least the series gets new games in English, but this also motivates me to get on with Japanese even more.

Overall I'm pretty happy how it shaped up, but yeah it comes with stuff that's inexcusable and bad. CS4 seems to double down on it and I just want to see the end of this wretched fairy tale without all that crap, sigh.

Finishing the game left me pretty empty, but I'm thinking of starting up a shorter game next for the blitz.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Overall I'm pretty happy how it shaped up, but yeah it comes with stuff that's inexcusable and bad. CS4 seems to double down on it and I just want to see the end of this wretched fairy tale without all that crap, sigh.

Shame fan edits aren't really possible in gaming, haha. Would definitely welcome de-creepy-otakufied versions of many JRPGs, the Cold Steel games among them.

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
The only experience I have with that series is Trails in the Sky, which I played on the PSP. The game sort of . . . ended, and then I looked online and found out it was part of a series and the sequel had no release date (at that time, don't even think it had been confirmed for release outside Japan). I wonder what the chances are of a collection being released on PS4/5.

Also, put a few games down on the Blitz list. Final Fantasy and Bloodstained are done. I bought Fire Emblem Fates Conquest last month and am up to chapter 10. I'm also going for Bravely Default as my RPG Club game, which I haven't started. Not sure about my final game, it's either Nioh or Xenoblade Chronicles 2, both of which I see are being played by others in the blitz. Alternatively, I saw a few peoples playing an Atelier game of some sort, so I also have the option of Atelier Sophie (also grabbed last month, physical copy was cheaper than the digital PS3 games).

BlueOdin

Oct 26, 2017
So the 10s comes to an end and I wanted to ask y'all what your Top 5 is. I initially wanted to ask about a Top 3 but there is no ignoring 4 games for me

My list looks like this in no particular order

• Divinity Original Sin 2
  • The Witcher 3
  • Disco Elysium
  • Dragon Quest XI

I don't think I need to talk much about the first two mentioned because there is lots of talk about them whenever there is talk about RPGs. The only thing I am interested in is how the talk about The Witcher 3 will change once The Witcher 4 comes. Because a while ago someone on the RPG Era Discord mentioned how everyone talked about The Witcher 2 being great and now the conversation almost completely shifted towards The Witcher 3.

Disco Elysium is maybe a little too close to now to give it a place in the list but since I finished it I still regularly think about it. It is still pretty unique with its setting, the worldbuilding is fantastic, the characters are great, the art is nice and I liked the soundtrack. One could maybe even call it "human". Add to that that almost every line in the game is a joy to read. It also is one of the games where I felt it succeeds at the "playing a role" for the most part. While it has task completion syndrom like every other game, there were quests I didn't want to do because they wouldn't fit the character I wanted to be. In other games I would also have these moments but I would probably do them anyway because there is loot to be had. With its decision to not focus on "gameplay" Disco Elysium gave me the willpower to not do everything in the quest log.

Dragon Quest XI is probably the best JRPG of the decade for me. Charming cast, pleasant to look at, great vignettes and great turn-based battles. The latter often gets a lot of flack for being "too basic" but too me it is a matter of what you do with the ingredients and not how many you have. Also didn't care much about the soundtrack because I usually don't care about a game's soundtrack other when it is really great.
I want to take this opportunity to talk about my short history with the series. Since Dragon Quest VIII was the first mainline DQ in Europe it was also the first one I saw on store shelfs in 06 (There were probably Monster spinoffs, too, but I got my fill from Pokemon). As a Dragon Ball fan the DBZ looking characters on the cover spoke to me. I then looked on the back on the package to see that it looked similar to FFX and decided not to buy it because I hated FFX which I did play pretty recently at the time (only got a PS2 in 05). Years passed and for probably similar reasons I ignored the DS games. It wouldn't be until the 3DS remake of DQVII until I finally would play my first Dragon Quest and absolutely loved it. Now I am on my way of going through the older games with the RPG Era RPG Backlog Blitzes. And I don't want to miss it. Currently playing IV and after that only VIII and IX of the mainline series left.
Dragon Quest is the only series that left an impression on me in my adult life that only a few series managed in my childhood.

I then had a hard time coming up with a fifth because I couldn't really think of one for the fifth place.

The first one that came to mind after a while of thinking were the Dark Souls games, particularly Dark Souls 1 because that is still the most present in my mind though Dark Souls 2 (yes) and Dark Souls 3 refined it even more. What made Dark Souls special is well documented and how it had an impact on the industry (sorry Demon's Soul) can still be read in comparisons today so I don't want to talk too much about it. Maybe it will end up as my fifth pick but there are other games I want to talk about first.

While we're at From Bloodborne should maybe be mentioned since for many people it is the best of its kind and I expect to see it on some of these lists. For me I didn't really click with it and to this day I haven't finished. Part of it due to its technical issues and some of its design decisions. However, now that I got a nice TV I am willing to give it a third chance though probably only on the next PlayStation.

Another candidate for this list would've been Persona 5 if you asked me three or four years ago. Now the more time passes the more negative my impression of Persona 5 gets. The game has style, its moments and the sequence of entering the weapons shop, talking to the clerk and then the music kicking in just at the right moment when the shopping menu has loaded up is fantastic and its pretty unique vibe it shared for me only with its predecessors. But other than maybe two or three characters no one really clicked with me. The story is bungled after the first palace. If anything the more time passes the more it is one of my personal disappointments when I consider my time with Persona 4.

Another one I expect to see often is Nier: Automata. While I like the game when I think about its genre I think more action-adventure than RPG. Great game though.

One of my darlings would also be Fallout: New Vegas and while I still think it is the best of the Bethesda-like Fallouts I played I hardly remember my playthrough of it at all. To maybe re-evaluate it I would need to play it again but who has the time?

Speaking of Obsidian there is also Pillars of Eternity. I didn't really like it and stopped it after 10 hours or so. Don't really like RTwP and I found the writing to be pretty dry. But maybe one wants to mention it for its influence in the cRPG renaissance of this decade. I have an interest in the successor since they added turnbased combat though.

Then there is the matter of Outer Worlds which I had some hopes it would make the list. But alas it was probably one of my bigger disappointments. It does most of its things well but to me nothing stood out.

Another consideration would be Mass Effect 2. For me personally it is the first western RPG that I played legitimate (my only prior experience was fooling around with cheats in Gothic 2) and generally being one of the first big console/PC game I played after years of handheld only. However, over the years I come to also like it less. The level design is pretty boring, as a third person shooter it is pretty stiff, the story is whatever. It also feels like the game that popularized "relationships" with your teammates for me which got one of the most annoying aspects in games in general for me. On the one hand because of the discussions around them and on the other hand because of relationships are not done well in most games. The presentation is great though and the characters are likeable.

Then there is stuff I didn't even think about until looking at a list like Undertale, Diablo 3 (console edition), Darkest Dungeon, Skyrim, Fable 3, Kingdom Hearts 3 etc. But while I enjoyed all of them they didn't leave that much of an impact on me.

Then there are the so called "immersive sims". Deus Ex: Human Revolution or Prey are fantastic games and also give good options for "role-playing". Perhaps Prey is my fifth place thinking about it.

But over everything there is the massive blind spot of games I haven't played yet. Trails of Cold Steel 1-3, Ys 8, TitS SC und TC, Underrail, Age of Decadence, Bard's Tale IV, Operencia, Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Alpha Protocol, Kenshi ... The list goes on and on together with classics I still want to play.

That is about it for now.

So how does your Top 5 list of favorite RPGs of the tens look like?

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Divinity OS 2
Underrail
Grimrock 2
Might & Magic X
Shadowrun: Dragonfall

D:OS 1 would be in there, but I figured 1 game per series.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Would be interesting to list the best of the 10s, but a decade is a long time, especially for someone like me who's gone from their teens to nearing-30 in that time. My tastes have changed considerably since 2010. It looks like New Vegas just fits the time slot, though, so I'll start with saying that that one's probably my favorite of the lot.

I'll get back to you on the rest lol.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Hm, for my top 5 of the '10s...

1. Bloodborne (2015)
This game hit everything right for me. It's not that it was a Souls game, but that it had so many horror parts to it that really made my heart stir. The mixture of gothic and cosmic horror amidst near-Victorian backdrops excited me greatly. I loved everything about the lore, the story as it played out, the NPCs, everything. It's truly one of my favorite games, even outside of RPGs and RPG-adjacent games. It resonated so strongly with me and it actually inspired me to get back into writing simply because it helped me visualize a single thing that I had difficulty explaining for years. It had such a style to it that checked off practically every box in my wishlist. It'll stick with me for a long time and I don't ever see it leaving my top 10 or even my top 5.

2. NieR: Automata (2017)
This too nailed so many concepts and themes for me. I really loved the tale being told, how it was displayed, how the game played, the characters, all the side-stuff, and I pretty much adored the entire game. It has one of my favorite soundtracks ever, practically top 10 across anything. I'd dabbled in Taro madness before but this was something special to me. There's something dear to me about a game when it can actively recreate a feeling I had rather than experience. I'll always remember running through the factory and having a similar feeling to when I started up Final Fantasy VII. While the situations were different, the way the game pulled my strings gave me a nostalgic feeling as I sat on the floor with a blanket around me, looking up at a big tv and enjoying every minute of what I was played.

3. Final Fantasy XIV (ARR: 2013)
For the longest time, a friend and I had been searching for co-op games that we could always progress in. We tried so many MMOs and occasionally played games like Phantasy Star Online/Universe together or even split off to play our own flavors of MMOs. We first met in middle school talking about Final Fantasy, so with FFXIV A Realm Reborn coming out, it had our interest. I managed to get into the beta and for a day we sat up in my room and took turns trying the game out. XIV was a game I played for years. I have thousands of hours into it. It was so much content and it really helped me through some rough periods of my life. I was poor and could barely afford new games, so this was a game that kept on giving. Even when my life situation turned around and was positive, I still played. I made so many friends, had so many experiences with strangers, and just really enjoyed the storycrafting, gameplay, and massive hamster wheel that was the content treadmill because I always felt like I was progressing. To this day I still log in, albeit less frequently, to see what the world of Eorzea has for me. I know people played WoW for a decade and I never liked WoW one bit, but I certainly understand why they keep logging in and experiencing a story they've lived for many years. It also helps that XIV is one of the best FF games period, MMO or not. Incredibly strong writing, charming characters, and a massive love letter to FF fans.

4. Monster Hunter World (2018)

Some might not think its an RPG but I do think Monster Hunter World has a lot of RPG to it. You're always growing (via getting exp for Hunter/Master Rank allowing you to take on harder quests, create stronger items, access new areas), you have a lot of customization (via decorations, armor sets, skills triggered by equipment you mix and match to your liking), and you have myriad builds that are all viable and allow you to play how you want to. Its a really strong action RPG for me and I feel that revealing data (such as damage numbers), albeit a simple thing, can help people associate it more to the genre. Personally, I've been an MH fan since PS2, though I fell off in the 3DS era because I really hated the controls on the 3DS. World was a revival of my experiences on the PS2, PSP, and Wii and I am quite, quite happy that it plays so well. Being able to play with friends again who now live miles away brought back that nostalgic feeling of sitting on a couch with PSPs and chasing after targets. Seeing the monsters I've spent so much time with brought to life in this huge new world with no transitions and greatly reduced tedium has allowed me to rope in new friends to get them bashin' and slashin' their way through terrible creatures who want to do nothing more than devour you.

5. Divinity: Original Sin 2 (2017)

The first DOS was a wonderful experience that I put nearly a hundred hours to with a friend. I played the first one solely co-op and it was a blast. We, mostly through malady, spun our own tale of two terrible adventurers who stumbled across the world in search of the next coin and drink. It was a chaotic tornado of character choices and it lead to many memorable experiences. The sequel has stepped that up for me in many aspects. While some don't like the round-robin turns, I enjoy it a lot. I also love the shielding as it makes me think. Like the last one, I've only played this co-op and its been a lot of fun strategizing with a friend and trying to setup combos, only to have things go wrong. Yet we'd still scrape by and laugh about what happened. How many times have I been shocked? How many times have I killed his target he was trying to get AP off of? How many times have we stumbled into poison or accidentally washed away the blood we used to heal? Too many to count. The characters with origin stories gave us a challenge to try to roleplay, but we fell into those slots perfectly. Time and time again on mic we're working through a questline and I start quietly laughing, only to hear "....oh god, is there a [Sebille] option...? you know that will screw us, right?" only to be met with "This is what Sebille would do."

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I've explored almost 20% of the map in Ys VIII. While I am enjoying the game, I don't "love it". There are some minor things that annoy me. Moves are a bit too flashy and the controls don't feel super smooth in combat (imo). My other gripe is with the exploration. It is not always immediately clear where you're supposed to go. This is more often than not a good thing, but it feels a bit annoying here. Still, it is a very solid game and I am happy to play it.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Just now noticed the Blitz and signed up (hopefully it isn't too late to sign up yet). I finished zero games in the last one because I ended up getting a switch pretty soon after it started (thanks to Three Houses), and ended up with no real time for my backlog. Went with:

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward - I just spent pretty much all of my time with this game for about the past month, and am hoping to finish up Heavensward before what I have left of my sub expires. Should be doable as long as the transition to Stormblood isn't as long as the ARR - Heavensward quests were.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - With having a Switch now, it makes sense to play some of its more well regarded RPGs. I've already put in a bit of time into it, so finishing it up should be doable.

Breath of the Wild - Does this count as an RPG? It has quests, loot, gear, and so on, so I'd say it does. But if people feel like it doesn't, Ill change it to something else. But really, I can't not play it given the absurd amount of praise it got. As with XC2, I got a bit into it already before putting it on hold.

Fire Emblem Thracia 776 - The only game I had on my previous Blitz. I found it pretty interesting, but dropped it for Three Houses. Now that that's finished, I should be able to get back to it.

Atelier Ryza - I play pretty much every one of these, even if I feel like they've been declining in quality lately. Still, they're usually short and fun enough, and I've heard positive impressions of this one.

As for the top 5 of this decade, mine would be:

1. Sunless Sea (and Sunless Sky) - They have some of the best writing I've seen in a game thus far, with the most imaginative world in gaming and great lyrical prose. And I've always been somehow who likes coll fictional universes more than anything else.

2. Pyre - Pyre is just such a complete package. The music, visuals, writing, themes and even the gameplay all come together to create something really impressive, all wrapped up in an accessible 10-ish hour package which doesn't overstay its welcome. Which is such a rarity for RPGs.

3. Fire Emblem: Conquest - I love strategy RPGs, and Conquest is pretty much ages ahead of everything else we had this decades far as SRPG gameplay is concerned (except for maybe like, Devil Survivor), thanks to its great map design and tight difficulty.

4. Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - I've spent something like this entire decade looking for a game that would recapture the magic that was running instanced dungeons with strangers in Guild Wars, only to realize just recently that it actually existed all this time, hiding in plain sight. While FFXIV isn't quite there, it's close enough to still be super fun without requiring a lifetime of dedication like a lot of other games in the genre do. There's just something about loading into an instance with 7 (or even 23) other players and working towards a common goal, and FFXIV makes it incredibly accessible without having to spend days finding a good guild or trying to schedule raid groups like with a lot of its competitors. And this is all without even getting to the parts of it that people say are really good yet.

5. Divinity: Original Sin 2 - The closest thing to Baldur's Gate 2 so far, at least as far as good open maps with tons of interesting side quests are concerned. The combat is also great, but sadly a bit too unbalanced for me to really call it the best of the best, but at least it has some really cool encounters.

Thuddert

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Yeah 3H from the last blitz was probably one of the reasons why recent games were also allowed for this one (such as Cold Steel 3).

I had thought some more about rpg's from the last decade. Have three solid picks in Dragon Quest XI, Nier Automata and Bloodborne. Then I got to pick two more from the list.

Iva Demilcol

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Iwatodai Dorm
Top 5 RPGs this decade?

It's pretty difficult to decide...

1. Persona 5 (2016) is probably the most important to me (I've played it for more than 300 hours already without counting its re-release). Just the presentation alone make it one of the most notable games of the decade, add the fact that we were waiting since 2014 (I believe) to play it and you can understand why so many people were crazy about it. The thing did exceed my expectations in the end too. I'm still debating myself over if I should play Royal now or wait for the English version.
  2. Dark Souls (2011?). The first Dark Souls appeared in a list of the most influential games of the decade recently (don't remember who published that list) and I can say I agree. I played so many Souls games for years until I got tired of them, but the combat, the level design, the twisted bosses, the overly grim worlds and the awesome music make it one of the best action RPGs you could experience this decade.
Those two would be the most important ones to me... the first years of this decade were spent playing Souls games, the only game that made me stop playing Souls games was Dragon's Dogma which has the best combat I played in an action RPG. A game that I love because of its battle system in spite of everything else was Valkyria Chronicles 4, if I could I'd mention the original Valkyria Chronicles but 4's battle system is better and the mission design is incredible. And the last game is another one I spent on more than 200 hours: Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Is there some recency bias going on here? I think so, yes. There are too many games I haven't played yet that could easily take the place of the last three I mentioned in this paragraph.

I'm not mentioning Kingdom Hearts III for being too fresh in my memory; Nier:Automata because I have a hard time trying to rank it and Bloodborne for considering Dark Souls more impactful than it. I haven't played The Alliance Alive, Monster Hunter Stories, Monster Hunter World, Dragon Quest Builders, Octopath Traveler, Dragon Quest XI, Nioh, Xenoblade X or any Etrian Odyssey and I think all of these have a good chance to make it into my personal list.

Soilbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Dragon Quest XI
Yakuza 0
Fallout New Vegas
Deus Ex Machina Human Revolution
Mass Effect 2

Probably some other games that deserve to be in there but I'm kinda blanking out at the moment lol.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I still have to play many rpgs released in this time period, sitting in my backlog.

There are too many good games, but the games that I think back of most fondly from the 2010's are:

-Blackguards
-Demon's Souls (2010 in Europe) (Dragon Quest XI if this doesn't count)
-Tale of Wuxia: The Pre-Sequel
-Divinity: Original Sin
-ELEX

I could swap out some games and add a few others, but these five rpgs are a good representation of my taste.

I am hoping that SaGa Scarlet Grace will be a game that might make it into this list.

Aug 28, 2019
I just found this thread, and I think I'll join the blitz, if I'm not too late:

- Shadows: Awakening
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
- Aeon of Sands: The Trail
- Operencia: The Stolen Sun
- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

(why does everything need a subtitle?)

Two of these I am partway into, but still have quite a ways to go (I think). The other three I haven't played at all yet. I'm sure I won't finish all five, but I should be able to knock out two or three. Is this OK?

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
I just found this thread, and I think I'll join the blitz, if I'm not too late:

- Shadows: Awakening
- Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
- Aeon of Sands: The Trail
- Operencia: The Stolen Sun
- Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

(why does everything need a subtitle?)

Two of these I am partway into, but still have quite a ways to go (I think). The other three I haven't played at all yet. I'm sure I won't finish all five, but I should be able to knock out two or three. Is this OK?

Welcome and thanks for joining!

I added you to the sheet, also re-alphabetized the list for everyone else. We do allow late joins, but the cut-off date is the same for everyone (with a day or so grace period.)
For finishing all five, you don't have to! You only need to finish one to get a drawing in the prize raffle. The more you finish, the more chances you get. Less of a game/contest and more of just a community thing~ It's more about providing a bit of structure to tackling backlogs and actually finishing games while encouraging status updates, ongoing thoughts, and general write-ups in the thread.

If you have any questions, let us know!

Taborcarn

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a rough draft of my RPGs of the decade list, I'll come fill back in more info when I get a chance.

Divinity: OS2 -- Really hard to find a flaw with this one, just lots of crunchy RPG goodness
Dragon Quest XI -- Fantastic follow-up to earlier DQ games, and finally playing through DQ6 this year made me appreciate it even more. JRPG comfort food.
Disco Elysium -- Just unprecedented levels of choice in narrative of a game that is still small in scale. They took a gamble and it paid off.
Undertale -- Playing through the whole Mother series this past year really made it clear what a loving tribute this game was to them. All the feels.
Pathfinder: Kingmaker -- The most flawed game on my list, but still deserves a spot for how much it scratched the Infinity Engine itch for me.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
My blitz games will be put on hold for a couple of days as I have just installed Romancing SaGa 3.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot decided what I should play next, all for the first time: FF8 remake, Grandia HD collection, or Terranigma...help!

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
Indeed, I got it in my mind that it was one week, despite you guys telling me two earlier. I think that I will keep the list I have, as I plan to complete those as well.

sora bora I replayed FF8 earlier in the year, and I don't know what I was thinking. I don't hate it, but it is one of my least favorite games in the mainline series. Terranigma is cool, but Grandia gameplay has aged well (imo) and is still very fun to play.

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing through Witcher 3, and did a few quests in Novigrad. This game is amazing! Great enemy design with the bestiary and weaknesses you have to exploit, helps emphasize that Geralt must use every tool at his disposal. The story is fantastic, and the series's premier choices and delayed consequences system somehow work well even when placed in a completely open world! I hope other developers of open world games take notes on Witcher 3's quest design.

One thing I'm not a fan of is the seemingly arbitrary level gating of quests and the same types of enemies having drastic ranges of strength. The ghoul over here can be slaughtered easily, while the identical looking one over their will one shot me from full health?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
TW3's level gates can be pretty arbitrary, yeah. I think they're all defined by the point of interest/zone they're in, so avoiding them is never too difficult.

I prefer set levels to auto-scaling, though. Although it can lead to arbitrary blockades, It also occasionally lead to some really intense, memorable fights that simply wouldn't happen otherwise. Like my most memorable fight in TW3, ever, was with a regular... ice golem or something, that was a few levels above me; it was an intense battle, where being hit was basically certain death. Lead to half an hour of attempts until I finally won, and felt great.
I really miss the Final Fantasy Tactics series.

They do count as RPG, right?
Definitely. They lean more on strategy, but the RPG aspect is undeniably there. Similar to Fire Emblem and Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle.

Makoto

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime on DS. This game is criminally underrated: it is very well executed and there is nothing even similar to it.

Half of the game is just an top-view action/adventure game. It is fun, but there isn't much to write home about it.
But what makes the game really shine are the Castle-Tank Battles: you have two canons that you need to personally go around your Castle-Tank to pick-up ammo and throw it on the canons themselves.

The game changer here is the possibility to shoot yourself as a bullet to invade the other tank and mess everything inside it. There are other ways to get inside, but being able to get there and mess with the enemy team, steal ammo to your tank, etc. is just so much fun.

I'm still deciding if I want to finish the game with 100%. I feel like I need to grind a lot from now on to get better ammo for my tank.

Since I'm learning japanese, I had plans to eventually buy a japanese 3DS in order to play japanese-only games. However, I may end up doing it earlier, just so I can play the sequel sooner.

Damn, at the age of the eSports, there isn't a better moment for Square to revisit this kind of gameplay. Wish there were more games like this.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Gujian3 is available in English now and also $7.50 on Steam looks like that was a price error, it's 33% off instead of 75% off now.

Thanks for the headsup on the localization Queen Of Hunting

Last edited: