1. Jintor

Jintor
    Member OP

Mod edit: Policy outline added
    https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.ph...ost-In-Support-of-Trump-or-his-Administration

Before you ask, yes, RPG.net is still a fairly active community and one of the major hubs for tabletop and boardgame discussion, as well as roleplaying and videogames.

2. TheFireman

TheFireman

Good. More websites should follow suit.

3. rokkerkory

rokkerkory

Cheer cheer! Awesome job.

4. Yasumi

Yasumi

What would Etcetera even talk about if this was implemented here? Just Marvel, Star Wars, and Dragon Ball?

5. Nabs

Nabs

This doesn't ban trump talk, just trump support.

6. Cool. I'll join.

7. Eatin' Olives

Eatin' Olives

I fear they'll be the target of a nasty hate campaign in the coming weeks, but it's absolutely the right call.

8. I am a Bird

I am a Bird

But where will I find awful people to shit up my D&D campaigns now? Good to see them take this stance.

9. Sinder

Sinder

Re-read the OP.

10. Hours Left

Hours Left

Love it.

There are no good Republicans.

11. VikingJoseph

VikingJoseph

Out of curiosity, how will the forum base react to it? Is the forum base pretty progressive overall or is there a not insignificant undercurrent of alt-right and Gamergate people that is endemic in many "nerdy" communities?

Edit: Giving a glancing look at the thread linked to, it seems people are pretty reasonable about it. Not seeing too many people against it, just asking for clarification of the nuances of the rule.

12. Yasumi

Yasumi

Ah, whoops. In that case, it’s pretty much like here then.

13. Zen

Zen

There's still ample room for bickering about who is -really- a leftist and what that means

14. Kasumin

Kasumin

Mad respect for them not mincing words here. They'll still get people decrying censorship and targeting them for this move, but I admire them for making this decision. It clearly wasn't easy.

15. But then how would it be discussion aside from being a one-sided affirmation of specific issues.

Not a Trump fan if you're wondering.

16. Birdseye

Birdseye

Trump supporters are gonna ban Democrat support on their own RPG forums

17. The Kree

The Kree

Cough.

18. signal

signal

What's the republican equivalent of RPG.net

19. Nepenthe

Nepenthe
    When the music hits, you feel no pain. Moderator

Oh no, whatever shall progressives do?

20. BigDes

BigDes

Rpg codex

21. Darkmaigle

Darkmaigle

They should try this over at Codex

22. IrishNinja

IrishNinja

that's awesome

wish more corners would've done this kinda thing back when gg was a thing, but better late than never - think ill sign up soon

23. NeoNaziGAF could learn a thing or two from this.

24. Psychoward

Psychoward

yeah without ever going in to an OT thread on that site I assume they're huge fans of him

25. HMS_Pinafore

HMS_Pinafore

If Gaf got rid of the Nazi's, there would be no one left.

26. ody

ody
    Community Resettler Member

Era should too

27. PallasAthens

PallasAthens

Resetera should do this too tbh

The trump administration deserves no support at all nor should they be publically supported.

28. Sinder

Sinder

RPG codex basically wants to be stormfront

29. Titik

Titik

When will Era follow?

30. Awesome.

31. Titik

Titik

Then when one of thier forum members send bombs to Democrats and other people that Trump and the right hates, thier hosts will just pull the plug on them. Not much is lost in the world in that case.

32. Typhon

Typhon

It already seems to be a de facto rule here, just not an official policy.

33. Wulfric

Wulfric

Not to be mistaken with RPG Codex, fyi.

"Both sides" stances is literally being negligent at this point

34. svacina

svacina

RPG.net is PnP, the 'Dex is cRPGs.

I mean, it was witty, but wrong.

35. Nabs

Nabs

Trump supporters offer nothing in terms of discussion because they're too chicken shit to admit they hate minorities. I honestly have nothing to gain from someone who supports white supremacy and wants to pretend they don't.

36. Zeno

Zeno

Good on them.

37. Sinder

Sinder

Go for it

38. ultracal31

ultracal31

Shrug, waifus?

39. pigeon

pigeon

Being a white supremacist has always been bannable on ERA.

They do tend to give people a little too much plausible deniability though.

40. Eila

Eila

Had never heard of this website before but shit son, migrate your forums. It's not 2007 anymore.

41. Trickster

Trickster

Massive kudos to them.

ERA admin team, you're up :P

42. rokkerkory

rokkerkory

Eff that place

43. PogChamp

PogChamp

For the most part its kinda hard to be a Trump supporter and defend it without catching a ban. For example if you were a Trump supporter and made supportive posts about him in a thread about the economy that's whatever because its the economy, not relevant to TOS. However if you were a Trump supporter and tried to defend his transgender military ban then you would almost certainly catch a ban as your defense of that policy would almost certainly be against TOS and by extension the moral values of most of the userbase. So you can get away with it but its pretty damn telling when they avoid certain threads like the plague.

44. Pooh

Pooh

Good on them, really it's the least any place can do.

45. massoluk

massoluk

Wow, incredible statement

46. Zen

Zen

I appreciate their specifics about case by case situations and it being a formal policy due to the political climate. They've thought it through

47. TDLink

TDLink

I'm not a Trump supporter in the slightest, I think he and his administration are positively awful and I can't wait until our country hopefully votes him out of office in a couple years.

That said, I don't support this kind of action. And I sincerely hope any Era Mods and Admins who are reading this thread are not considering following suit.

I'm aware that Era already has a de facto ban on Trump Supporters, but let it stay like that. There is no need to make it official and outright turn people away.

I strongly believe differing viewpoints are a good thing in any forum of discourse. And I want to state again, to be clear, because I already know people will want to twist this statement to put words in my mouth, I under no circumstances support Trump or his policies. However, I also do not believe that someone who supports the fact he is President is inherently whatever attribute your may want to prescribe to them. Be it racist, sexist, antisemitic, whatever. Yeah, a lot of Trump supporters are absolutely those things, but they aren't all. I genuinely don't even think most are.

I know it's sometimes hard to believe because of the evil that the Republican party has wrought recently, but a lot of normal people who don't share those crazy viewpoints are still Trump supporters, or at least Conservatives who voted for him. Especially in places like the South and Middle America, hardcore Red States. A lot of generalizing tends to happen, but just because these people didn't vote the way you or I did does not make them just as bad as Trump and other members of the GOP. Most of them are not crazy. And that's a hard but bitter pill to swallow.

My bottom line is this. I am firmly in the fuck Trump camp. I am firmly in the fuck the Republicans camp. And I do my part to vote Democrat every election I can. But I am very much against locking off discussion to anyone, regardless of who they support politically -- unless they are blatantly displaying or propagating forms of hatred like I mentioned earlier in this post.

48. Or just apathetic to any issue that isn't personal economics (which is kinda where I'm at when it comes to voting, but these series of tax cuts does no benefit to and even harms me a little so fuck him).

49. bane833

bane833

It makes no sense that they draw a line between Trump and Republicans/Conservatives. There are no reasonable people among them. Trump embodies everything the Republican party stands for. Hate, greed, lies, selfishness, ignorance.

50. CountAntonius

CountAntonius

I get the sentiment but it's not like there is much of a discussion to be had here. If someone supports trump they get quoted into oblivion and probably never post about it again.