• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PallasAthens

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 11, 2018
I'm not a Trump supporter in the slightest, I think he and his administration are positively awful and I can't wait until our country hopefully votes him out of office in a couple years.

That said, I don't support this kind of action. And I sincerely hope any Era Mods and Admins who are reading this thread are not considering following suit.

I'm aware that Era already has a de facto ban on Trump Supporters, but let it stay like that. There is no need to make it official and outright turn people away.

there is no meaningful conversation to be had to people who want to support trump. You SHOULD support the action of deplatforming trump supporters who are blind to the damage his administration is doing. Simple as that. Nobody is being turned away. What RPG.net is doing is simply refusing to hear any kind of shit of people who want to support trump.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get the sentiment but it's not like there is much of a discussion to be had here. If someone supports trump they get quoted into oblivion and probably never post about it again.
Sure. The problem is when instead of someone getting "quoted into oblivion" and never posting about it again, they instead get banned for making that post of support in the first place.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a Trump supporter in the slightest, I think he and his administration are positively awful and I can't wait until our country hopefully votes him out of office in a couple years.

That said, I don't support this kind of action. And I sincerely hope any Era Mods and Admins who are reading this thread are not considering following suit.

I'm aware that Era already has a de facto ban on Trump Supporters, but let it stay like that. There is no need to make it official and outright turn people away.

I strongly believe differing viewpoints are a good thing in any forum of discourse. And I want to state again, to be clear, because I already know people will want to twist this statement to put words in my mouth, I under no circumstances support Trump or his policies. However, I also do not believe that someone who supports the fact he is President is inherently whatever attribute your may want to prescribe to them. Be it racist, sexist, antisemitic, whatever. Yeah, a lot of Trump supporters are absolutely those things, but they aren't all. I genuinely don't even think most are.

I know it's sometimes hard to believe because of the evil that the Republican party has wrought recently, but a lot of normal people who don't share those crazy viewpoints are still Trump supporters, or at least Conservatives who voted for him. Especially in places like the South and Middle America, hardcore Red States. A lot of generalizing tends to happen, but just because these people didn't vote the way you or I did does not make them just as bad as Trump and other members of the GOP. Most of them are not crazy. And that's a hard but bitter pill to swallow.

My bottom line is this. I am firmly in the fuck Trump camp. I am firmly in the fuck the Republicans camp. And I do my part to vote Democrat every election I can. But I am very much against locking off discussion to anyone, regardless of who they support politically -- unless they are blatantly displaying or propagating forms of hatred like I mentioned earlier in this post.
No.

At some point you need to plant your foot down and say "Support for this person is not welcome here."

How many times does he have to advocate for and support terrorism before it's acceptable to say enough? You wouldn't object to a forum banning an ISIS supporter.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would not ban it personally as I see it as a slippery slope, but their forums their rules so I respect it.

I hate Trump and everything he stands for, but being OK with this would make it hypocritical of us to be upset if other sites did the opposite, or maybe even a "news" network.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I would not ban it personally as I see it as a slippery slope, but their forums their rules.

I hate Trump and everything he stands for, but being OK with this would make it hypocritical of us to be upset if other sites did the opposite, or maybe even a "news" network.

Actually there's a difference between Nazis and people who aren't Nazis

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there is no meaningful conversation to be had to people who want to support trump. You SHOULD support the action of deplatforming trump supporters who are blind to the damage his administration is doing. Simple as that. Nobody is being turned away. What RPG.net is doing is simply refusing to hear any kind of shit of people who want to support trump.
I know a lot of people here actually believe that, but it's simply not true. I've seen people call for cutting off ties with family members who support Trump on this site too. And frankly that's ridiculous. Family is family and you're stuck with them. And similarly, in real life you are going to be stuck with co-workers who support Trump and Republicans too. Everyone needs to learn how to listen to each other and understand where the others are coming from. I'm not talking about the bigots and the people who know full well that what they're doing is hurting people but don't care because they're making stacks of cash. I'm not talking about the people who frequent Trump rallies. And I'm certainly not talking about the fucking lunatics who make bombs and send them to people Trump doesn't like. I'm talking about the vast majority of Republicans who are, a lot of the time uniformed, or misinformed. If you completely shut them out, it just builds resentment.
No.

At some point you need to plant your foot down and say "Support for this person is not welcome here."

How many times does he have to advocate for and support terrorism before it's acceptable to say enough? You wouldn't object to a forum banning an ISIS supporter.
My above statement applies to this too. But I will also add that whether we like it or not, Trump is not ISIS. He's the President of the Country. There's a pretty big difference between the two. Hatred of Trump should not equate to hatred of random people who voted for him. They're not the same thing. And you can't, or at least shouldn't, just attribute his words and deeds to them.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Dope policy.

Not saying it doesn't need to be applied here but most Trump supporters here usually get banned or can't even have a logical argument without being wilfully ignorant/disingenuous so they either lurk or go somewhere else. The few big ones from the old site that actually have accounts here don't even bother.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
I would not ban it personally as I see it as a slippery slope, but their forums their rules so I respect it.

That's a false equivalency, and if a site did so, I would know it's one I wouldn't want to be on anyway.

Genryu

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't be upset if other places did the opposite, since it would give a clear indication that the people running the place are a bunch of assholes.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's sometimes hard to believe because of the evil that the Republican party has wrought recently, but a lot of normal people who don't share those crazy viewpoints are still Trump supporters, or at least Conservatives who voted for him. Especially in places like the South and Middle America, hardcore Red States. A lot of generalizing tends to happen, but just because these people didn't vote the way you or I did does not make them just as bad as Trump and other members of the GOP. Most of them are not crazy. And that's a hard but bitter pill to swallow.
There is no practical difference in a minority's quality of life if people voted for Trump because of racism or if they voted because of tax cuts.

A vote in an American election is wholesale. You cannot pick and choose which parts of any given candidate's platform you do and don't want implemented. When you cast a vote for a candidate, you are giving them permission to do everything, the good and the bad, whatever it is they can within legal and political reason.

Trump voters need to own this. Every single one of them. They own the rise in hate crimes and the deaths that have followed. They own the child internment camps. They own the destruction of environmental protections. They own the double-speak and conspiratorial rhetoric against the left, higher education, and journalism.

Because none of it would be this bad had they not given permission for Trump and the rest of the conservative body to do what they're doing now. This is literally their fault. And what's worse, I've seen barely any efforts from so-called moderates or disappointed conservatives to get their party back under control and make it worth looking at by minorities and their allies again. There's no marches, no organizations, no movements, no candidates being put forth to counteract the blatant white supremacy. These people are ghosts, except to tell us how "horrified" they are every now and again that "the country is so divided."

Trump voters deserve no time of day about their reasoning for why they voted for him two years into this shitstorm until they are ready to sit down at the table of basic human decency.

PallasAthens

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 11, 2018
I know a lot of people here actually believe that, but it's simply not true. I've seen people call for cutting off ties with family members who support Trump on this site too. And frankly that's ridiculous. Family is family and you're stuck with them. And similarly, in real life you are going to be stuck with co-workers who support Trump and Republicans too. Everyone needs to learn how to listen to each other and understand where the others are coming from. I'm not talking about the bigots and the people who know full well that what they're doing is hurting people but don't care because they're making stacks of cash. I'm not talking about the people who frequent Trump rallies. And I'm certainly not talking about the fucking lunatics who make bombs and send them to people Trump doesn't like. I'm talking about the vast majority of Republicans who are, a lot of the time uniformed, or misinformed. If you completely shut them out, it just builds resentment.

Yes we are stuck with family.

Luckily users who come in here to support trump aren't family. So your comparison doesn't apply? I get what you're saying but this is a public forum, not a private family/home.

Jan 10, 2018

My above statement applies to this too. But I will also add that whether we like it or not, Trump is not ISIS. He's the President of the Country. There's a pretty big difference between the two. Hatred of Trump should not equate to hatred of random people who voted for him. They're not the same thing. And you can't, or at least shouldn't, just attribute his words and deeds to them.

What you manage to ignore is that the Trump side has been doing this for years.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no practical difference in a minority's quality of life if people voted for Trump because of racism or if they voted because of tax cuts.

A vote in an American election is wholesale. You cannot pick and choose which parts of any given candidate's platform you do and don't want implemented. When you cast a vote for a candidate, you are giving them permission to do everything, the good and the bad, whatever it is they can within legal and political reason.

Trump voters need to own this. Every single one of them. They own the rise in hate crimes and the deaths that have followed. They own the child internment camps. They own the destruction of environmental protections. They own the double-speak and conspiratorial rhetoric against the left, higher education, and journalism.

Because none of it would be this bad had they not given permission for Trump and the rest of the conservative body to do what they're doing now. This is literally their fault. And what's worse, I've seen barely any efforts from so-called moderates or disappointed conservatives to get their party back under control and make it worth looking at by minorities and their allies again. There's no marches, no organizations, no movements, no candidates being put forth to counteract the blatant white supremacy. These people are ghosts, except to tell us how "horrified" they are every now and again that "the country is so divided."

Trump voters deserve no time of day about their reasoning for why they voted for him two years into this shitstorm until they are ready to sit down at the table of basic human decency.
I think the blame for any of the ills that have come from the last 2 years lies much more with the significantly larger group of eligible Voters who did not vote at all. And I would take issue with them a million times over before anyone who actually went and cast a ballot to take part in this decision making process.

I sincerely believe that a lot of Republicans don't agree with these things you've outlined, or the things Trump's said and done. And like it or not there are absolutely single-issue voters.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017

Is it actually that bad? Haven't been back since the great split, except the occasional accidental visit to a frozen thread because it's still in my autocomplete history. I thought the worst of the worst had already made it out to places that were more welcoming to far right ideologies...

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes we are stuck with family.

Luckily users who come in here to support trump aren't family. So your comparison doesn't apply? I get what you're saying but this is a public forum, not a private family/home.
That was, admittedly, a rogue aside in my post. Just something else I had noticed here -- which is frankly terrible advice.

What you manage to ignore is that the Trump side has been doing this for years.
I'm not really sure what you mean by this.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean at this point, what does supporting Trump make you? A racist, sexist, short-sighted, egoistic, likely less-than-average intelligent "human" being.

I'm okay with banning support of Trump.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
I think the blame for any of the ills that have come from the last 2 years lies much more with the significantly larger group of eligible Voters who did not vote at all. And I would take issue with them a million times over before anyone who actually went and cast a ballot to take part in this decision making process.

I sincerely believe that a lot of Republicans don't agree with these things you've outlined, or the things Trump's said and done. And like it or not there are absolutely single-issue voters.

But the voters who did vote for him won him the electoral college. They won those states that put him over the edges. The voters who didn't vote simply did nothing. To blame them before blaming the people that lent Trump their voice and power is asinine.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like their policy wording as long as they can stay true to it. Well said whoever wrote it.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But the voters who did vote for him won him the electoral college. They won those states that put him over the edges. The voters who didn't vote simply did nothing. To blame them before blaming the people that lent Trump their voice and power is asinine.
It absolutely is not. Not when half of the country didn't cast a ballot and Trump and Clinton were effectively equal. It's easy to blame the people who actually voted for him. It's hard to accept that general apathy is the actual reason he won.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Not really. We would be banning people who support a lot of horrible things. If some other forum wants to ban support of Democrats then so be it. Who cares? There's already deplorable places like The Donald.

Also, what do you mean by news network? Forums are very different from news networks.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
I mean at this point, what does supporting Trump make you? A racist, sexist, short-sighted, egoistic, likely less-than-average intelligent "human" being.

I'm okay with banning support of Trump.

There's a huge range of what being a Trump voter makes you. Planning to vote for him again sort of changes that a bit. People who voted for him the first time range from the uninformed and gullible to card-carrying Nazis. These days you've got to be fairly willfully uninformed and gullible to still support him from that end of the spectrum.

Jan 10, 2018
That was, admittedly, a rogue aside in my post. Just something else I had noticed here -- which is frankly terrible advice.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this.

The Trump side has shut down any kind of criticism or dissent as fake news or Soros backed crisis actors.

They shut down the door a while ago. And it will only get worse.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

"Look, people whose lives are actively under threat by this administration, what's really important is that we have the opportunity to hear from the people who value their taxes more than your basic human rights."

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As an RPGNet regular, this is pretty much the natural continuation of how moderation has worked in the last year.

The community is fairly small, and the political discussion becomes inevitably toxic at times. But literally nobody is going to cry about this, because the forum as a whole was already aligned on that position. It would be like banning support of Trump here - it's factually something that is already enabled. Almost nobody would dare complain, and those who would would take "I'm a leftist but..." angle.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It absolutely is not. Not when half of the country didn't cast a ballot and Trump and Clinton were effectively equal. It's easy to blame the people who actually voted for him. It's hard to accept that general apathy is the actual reason he won.

People not actually going out to vote is another problem that is separate from Trump itself. People voting for Trump should not have voted for him at all. And if anyone who voted for him and still wants to come and speak up for Trump or the GOP then they shouldn't be shown the door.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017

So by analogy we shouldn't ban child pornography, because it's a slippery slope and someone else might ban pictures of cute kittens?

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Trump side has shut down any kind of criticism or dissent as fake news or Soros backed crisis actors.

They shut down the door a while ago. And it will only get worse.
Most Republicans are not the people you are talking about who believe the crazy conspiracy theories. They're normal people. That's the problem.

"Look, people whose lives are actively under threat by this administration, what's really important is that we have the opportunity to hear from the people who value their taxes more than your basic human rights."
I said it in my first post, but please don't put words in my mouth. It's beyond infuriating and literally not what I said at all.

EDIT: I'm going to bed now, so don't expect any further replies from me. I'm aware most of you completely disagree, which makes further rebuttals pointless anyways. That's fine. I've said what I came to say -- I think this course of action would be a slippery slope to go down, and one I don't agree with.

Jan 10, 2018
Most Republicans are not the people you are talking about who believe the crazy conspiracy theories. They're normal people. That's the problem.

I said it in my first post, but please don't put words in my mouth. It's beyond infuriating and literally not what I said at all.

I quoted Trump crazy word for crazy word. If you support Trump, you support the craziness.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Yeah having to avoid all the pro-Trump threads and posts that pollute ERA is such a hassle...

I mean, really, we can do it and nothing will change. Can you even find me a post supporting Trump that isn't moderated?
Didn't vote for The President (even though a lot of people think I did), but I do love Air Force One, so I made this thread.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/un...nts-air-force-one-to-be-red-white-blue.56014/

It ended up being fairly civil.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK

Single issue voters are idiots or are selfish, or a combination of the two. This is especially true given the current climate. At some point people need to step up and take responsibility to ensure the fair and equal treatment of others rather than attempt to get what they want and excuse themselves of the fallout

SmarmySmurf

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I've seen people call for cutting off ties with family members who support Trump on this site too. And frankly that's ridiculous. Family is family and you're stuck with them.

Nah, family can be disowned. If you're an adult you aren't stuck with anyone unless you want to be. Life is way too short to waste it in the company of bigots just because you share DNA.

These days you've got to be fairly willfully uninformed and gullible to still support him from that end of the spectrum.

People who voted for him the first time are just as bad as anyone who still supports him. His temperament, his views, his rhetoric, his ignorance, his stream of non-stop lying -- its all been the same since even before he formally became a candidate. Zero excuses. Trump voters got exactly who they voted for and wanted. Every last one.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Didn't vote for The President, but I do love Air Force One, so I made this thread.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/un...nts-air-force-one-to-be-red-white-blue.56014/

It ended up being fairly civil.

Sure thing, but you specified you didn't vote for the guy and half the messages are barely north of "fuck the traitor".

I think banning support of Trump could be a political statement (and the administration would be fully legitimated in choosing to make one) but in practical terms, it's already operative. I'm not from the US so I don't really have this problem, but if we have people who voted for Trump on this board, they're really quiet about it already.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Basically they stick to gaming side and never set foot in Etcet.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Incoming cries of "echo chamber" and about hearing "both sides"

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
No discussion about this clown can be constructive, and we all know how obnoxious, childish and self-centered his supporters can be.
Good riddance.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No one thinks this is going so far?

I don't know anything about that forum, but legitimizing banning what is essentially an opinion, heinous as it is, without those people explicitly expressing bigotry etc. seems like going too far (I know people will respond by saying that supporting Trump is the same as supporting bigotry-- but the people expressing that opinion might be ignorant of that).

People requesting that sort of move here-- I think it's pointless. Anyone expressing pro-Trump sentiment will be instantly ostracized here if not banned or otherwise reprimanded by mods. So at any rate it's not constructive. It gives more fuel to right-wingers and doesn't change anything about the discourse.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

I strongly believe differing viewpoints are a good thing in any forum of discourse. And I want to state again, to be clear, because I already know people will want to twist this statement to put words in my mouth, I under no circumstances support Trump or his policies. However, I also do not believe that someone who supports the fact he is President is inherently whatever attribute your may want to prescribe to them. Be it racist, sexist, antisemitic, whatever. Yeah, a lot of Trump supporters are absolutely those things, but they aren't all. I genuinely don't even think most are.

My bottom line is this. I am firmly in the fuck Trump camp. I am firmly in the fuck the Republicans camp. And I do my part to vote Democrat every election I can. But I am very much against locking off discussion to anyone, regardless of who they support politically -- unless they are blatantly displaying or propagating forms of hatred like I mentioned earlier in this post.

Ever tried speaking with them about social issues? They're as honest and interested in the conversation as the man himself.

There is no debating with these people. And your last line? When it comes down to it, that is what they're doing.by default.