• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
All this is going to do is get Trump re-elected.
This is what people remember when they go to vote.

It's depressing that people feel like it's everyone else's job to persuade them to be good, moral people, and a confrontation as minor as getting banned from a nerd forum is enough to push them into supporting severely dangerous policies.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017
I got a one month ban for suggesting that Trump voters have zero value and we'd be better off without them around.

I don't really understand it tbh, but will just avoid politics in the future.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Only supporting certain aspects of political parties or persons is exactly how reality works. It is almost impossible to support every aspect of a politician. Did you support every aspect of Obama?

I explained this... giving your support in any way to Trump enables him to carry out all of his policies. You cn't pick and choose and say you only support certain things, the reality is your support enables him regardless of where YOU draw the line.
Problem with Trump is that there are no good actions, and if there are I never noticed it because they got buried under a huge pile of shite actions. So while I agree that people who support Trump are shitbags, I do not agree with your concept of 'You either support all aspects or none'.

But this is reality. If you support Trump with your votes, you're enabling him to carry out ALL of his policies. Your vote keeps him in power, you're allowing him to continue.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This has happened but the user got their thread locked because of the amount of people accusing him of ulterior motives and dogwhistling

Positivity of any sort regarding Trump derails a thread so hard it violates the TOS. I don't think that's a bad thing, but it really is impossible to be a Trump supporter in any sort of capacity on this website, rather than just being really hard, due to the fact that they either are violating TOS by defending heinous bullshit or violating TOS by inadvertently trolling due to their prescence.
Probably because if you were to ask Trump supporters on this website, you would be hard pressed to get them to tell you a single positive thing Trump has done. As would everybody else.

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's... a really good way to go about it I think. Trump is an outlier in American politics and symbolizes the worst of this country. This sounds like a good start to excise the cancer

Rondras

Banned
Aug 28, 2018
We should completely ban any kind of radical support on any site, but won't happen cause people think its about freedom(and that's why half our planet is controlled by fascists,dictators(and similar)

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
I like this move by RPG.net especially the way they zero-in on the fact that promoting hate and intolerance (and supporting the people who do promote this like Trump) is not a legit political stance. You're still free to discuss the laissez-faire economics or the importance of God in politics and society but not anything that dehumanizes your fellow posters.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a Trump supporter in the slightest, I think he and his administration are positively awful and I can't wait until our country hopefully votes him out of office in a couple years.

That said, I don't support this kind of action. And I sincerely hope any Era Mods and Admins who are reading this thread are not considering following suit.

I'm aware that Era already has a de facto ban on Trump Supporters, but let it stay like that. There is no need to make it official and outright turn people away.

I strongly believe differing viewpoints are a good thing in any forum of discourse. And I want to state again, to be clear, because I already know people will want to twist this statement to put words in my mouth, I under no circumstances support Trump or his policies. However, I also do not believe that someone who supports the fact he is President is inherently whatever attribute your may want to prescribe to them. Be it racist, sexist, antisemitic, whatever. Yeah, a lot of Trump supporters are absolutely those things, but they aren't all. I genuinely don't even think most are.

I know it's sometimes hard to believe because of the evil that the Republican party has wrought recently, but a lot of normal people who don't share those crazy viewpoints are still Trump supporters, or at least Conservatives who voted for him. Especially in places like the South and Middle America, hardcore Red States. A lot of generalizing tends to happen, but just because these people didn't vote the way you or I did does not make them just as bad as Trump and other members of the GOP. Most of them are not crazy. And that's a hard but bitter pill to swallow.

My bottom line is this. I am firmly in the fuck Trump camp. I am firmly in the fuck the Republicans camp. And I do my part to vote Democrat every election I can. But I am very much against locking off discussion to anyone, regardless of who they support politically -- unless they are blatantly displaying or propagating forms of hatred like I mentioned earlier in this post.

Supporting Donald Trump is basically all about hatred and greed. There is nothing else underlying it at this point and it should be blatantly clear that Trump and his sycophants are not coming from an honest place and believe trolling to basically be there form of playing politics. Its a group of hateful people trying to be as ugly as possible to as many people as possible. How you can write all this out and not realize this is mind boggling.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i get the idea behind the ban but then, wouldn't the forum devolves into an echo chamber of 'fuck trump' replies everytime a thread about trump comes up.

Is this what 'discussion' is supposed to be then? Only people that agrees with one another are allowed to speak. If you don't agree with us, then you are not allowed to speak. So every OP about Trump is literally just soliciting support instead of initiating discussion?

(p.s. Not american. I have no beef in american politics. Just posting based on observations & thoughts)
That's not how discussion works at all.

You don't need the input of a murderer when discussing if murder should be illegal or not.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I commend them for everything except this piece. How can you say this, and then ban Trump support? He's the GOP, he represents them, he was elected and has been supported (and protected) by them every step of the way. It takes some cognitive dissonance to not connect the two. And confusing the two certainly does not legitimize bigotry and hatred. Ignoring the connection and pretending it doesn't exist does.

Conservatives in other countries are not like the ones in America. A conservative in my country for example would definite not support the current stand on gun laws.

You can be conservative and see the the US has gone crazy and beyond just being regular conservative.

Deleted member 27246

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I explained this... giving your support in any way to Trump enables him to carry out all of his policies. You cn't pick and choose and say you only support certain things, the reality is your support enables him regardless of where YOU draw the line.

But this is reality. If you support Trump with your votes, you're enabling him to carry out ALL of his policies. Your vote keeps him in power, you're allowing him to continue.

This line of reasoning suggests that all Obama voters supported drone attacks. If I had to vote for a political party I agreed with 100% I would never ever vote in my life.

Also politicians can do unexpected things. You as a voter cannot possibly know every thing a politicina will do in the future. Yet you did 'enable' him.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This line of reasoning suggests that all Obama voters supported drone attacks. If I had to vote for a political party I agreed with 100% I would never ever vote in my life.

Also politicians can do unexpected things. You as a voter cannot possibly know every thing a politicina will do in the future. Yet you did 'enable' him.

The difference being that Obama did not campaign on promises of drone attacks. His support of Drone Attacks is something that was criticized and came up after he was elected.

The shit people are blasting trump supporters for supporting, are things that trump literally campaigned on prior, but those people ignored when voting for him. Had Obama campaigned about supporting Drone attacks, you bet your ass his support would have dropped.

or, to put it simply:

Candidate 1: I will end net neutrality, kill birthright citizenship, nuke our opponents, and lower taxes
Voter 1: I'm voting for that guy for lower taxes!
*Candidate gets elected, then ends net neutrality, kills birthright citizenship, threatened opponents, and lowers taxes for rich*

Candidate 2: I will support national healthcare.
Voter 2: I'm voting for that guy for healthcare!
*Candidate 2 gets elected, supports obamacare, but also supports drone attacks*

Do you not see how Voter 1 and Voter 2 are different? One ignores what the candidate says and cherry picks what he supports, the other did not.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
MuYaL2B.png

Iz5k.gif

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The difference being that Obama did not campaign on promises of drone attacks. His support of Drone Attacks is something that was criticized and came up after he was elected.

The shit people are blasting trump supporters for supporting, are things that trump literally campaigned on prior, but those people ignored when voting for him. Had Obama campaigned about supporting Drone attacks, you bet your ass his support would have dropped.

After his first election or second?

Also I am talking in general, not Trump supporters, because as I said before, Trump only has shit aspects, so I don't really care why people voted for him....all reasons for it are bad.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Yes, it does. And they did. It's not avoidable. Every admin has problematic aspects, and we need to be aware of what we're accountable for.

The point is Trump is actively harassing, harming, and calling for people to do the same to minorities.

His admin invented the terms "fake news' and 'alt facts' to cover their literal lies.

Every admin comes with issues, the fact is Trump is enabling and perpetuating hate, and is working to turn the clocks back out of spite and pettiness.

For all their talk of democracy and freedom, they're actively attacking both of these things.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
This should be implemented EVERYWHERE

Well, if you reiterate many of Trumps beliefs at modern businesses you'd get fired.

My company's CEO probably most identified as Libertarian, though his politics are more nuanced as he's from Ireland. But for the last year you can tell he hates Trump with multiple emails and registration sessions encouraging his Austin employees to vote, and immediately in response to something trump did went out an email that his company will never discriminate based on sexual orientation or gender.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

So what do you suggest?

Us minorities just sit here and take it?

We do that we're told we didn't stand up for ourselves, that we let it happen.
We stand up for ourselves, we're told to sit back down and "respect different opinions".

The time for talking with these people has passed, we've tried that.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
when people talk about how the left is allegedly an echo chamber just because open bigotry isn't tolerated, all it makes me think is that they must live in an echo chamber with no leftists in it

the left re-litigates everything, constantly - in fact, there is probably too much "eternal discourse" going on when it would really help to focus on crossing the bridges in front of us first and figure out every single last detail later once we've put out some of the garbage fires

Yeah, we constantly tear each other apart because we only align 98% and bicker about why the other one isn't a true progressive, liberal, or leftist because he/she/they have another view on the 2% or doesn't belong to a minority.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017

Yeaaaaaah, you'd have a point if Obama ran on drone strikes. Trumps racism and general bigotry was built-in from Day 1. It was a cornerstone of his platform. I know some people were saying that all the awful shit that he said while he was campaigning was just talk and he wasn't going to do any of that stuff when he got into office. Well, we're about 2 years in now and we have a pretty good idea about his positions, so that excuse can't be made anymore. Hell, he's talking about getting rid of birthright citizenship through executive order today. At this point if anyone is still proudly supporting him you'd have to wonder if they're a decent person.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, it does. And they did. It's not avoidable.

The point is Trump is actively harassing, harming, and calling for people to do the same to minorities.

His admin invented the terms "fake news' and 'alt facts' to cover their literal lies.

Every admin comes with issues, the fact is Trump is enabling and perpetuating hate, and is working to turn the clocks back out of spite and pettiness.

For all their talk of democracy and freedom, they're actively attacking both of these things.

It is avoidable. By not voting. And that is what got you Americans in this shit in the first place.

Say I were an American. I don't want them to interfere in foreign countries for oil, but I am even more anti Trump antics. I know that if I vote Clinton, there will probably be more meddling in foreign countries and possible drone strikes, if I vote Trump I will through all the minorities under the bus.

If I vote Clinton I would be enabling war, if I vote Trump I would enable a facist regime. Either way I am an enabler of horrible things according to you.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what page do the "I just read The Codex for the articles" guys show up in this thread?

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yeaaaaaah, you'd have a point if Obama ran on drone strikes. Trumps racism and general bigotry was built-in from Day 1. I know some people were saying that all the awful shit that he said while he was campaigning was just talk and he wasn't going to do any of that stuff when he got into office. Well, we're about 2 years in now and we have a pretty good idea about his positions, so that excuse can't be made anymore. Hell, he's talking about getting rid of birthright citizenship through executive order today. At this point if anyone is still proudly supporting him you'd have to wonder if they're a decent person.

I already said a couple of times I am not talking about Trump supporters but rather the (to me) 'foreign' idea of 'You either support all aspects of a politician or none'.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Policy sounds well thought out and reasonable considering the situation we're in today in 2018. My biggest concern would be that the site will be attacked by MAGAbros and its staff will be doxxed and harassed

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Policy sounds well thought out and reasonable considering the situation we're in today in 2018. My biggest concern would be that the site will be attacked by MAGAbros and its staff will be doxxed and harassed
Well said.

Well yeah, it is mostly hate speech that Trump spits out, it's just disguised as a dog whistle.
Trump has already quite literally admitted to believing in the Soros conspiracy. The only thing he's stopped short of doing at this point is saying the word nigger in public and tweeting about the media with echoes.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well, Gamergaters said "NO POLITICS ON MY VIDYA" So I guess that they must be thrilled!

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I like this move by RPG.net especially the way they zero-in on the fact that promoting hate and intolerance (and supporting the people who do promote this like Trump) is not a legit political stance. You're still free to discuss the laissez-faire economics or the importance of God in politics and society but not anything that dehumanizes your fellow posters.
Yep.

This is fucking incredible. Basically: "You want free speech? You want to say what the fuck you want and vocally support dehumanisation? GO FUCKING ELSEWHERE TO DO IT YOU FUCK."

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Well, if you reiterate many of Trumps beliefs at modern businesses you'd get fired.

My company's CEO probably most identified as Libertarian, though his politics are more nuanced as he's from Ireland. But for the last year you can tell he hates Trump with multiple emails and registration sessions encouraging his Austin employees to vote, and immediately in response to something trump did went out an email that his company will never discriminate based on sexual orientation or gender.
If your fellows employees are anything like good old Nos here, your boss's actions will just mean Trump will win again. Or something.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, if someone goes to vote and what makes them choose Trump is one RPG forum exercing their right of moderating their community and they completely forgot that Trump has put kids in concentration camps....
Those are unsalvageable pieces of shit that were never going to vote otherwise

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I think it's a good idea, but in practice it will only target overt Trump supporters, and most of them will wise up quickly to not be overt.

5. We will not permit witch-hunts, progressive loyalty-testing, or attempting to bait another into admitting support for President Trump in order to get them banned. The mod staff will deal harshly with attempts to weaponize this policy.

This could backfire against users trying to get an obvious asshole to admit their views, these people like to dance around how they really feel. Obviously there are degrees, you can't have a whole thread shitting on one person, there is a line that people cross regarding that where enough is enough and a mod needs to step in and steer the conversation back, but you have to be able to ask someone point blank "do you support or not support X".

6. It is not open season on conservatives, and revenge fantasies against Trump and Trump supporters are still against the rules.

And this, I don't know if they are just referring to violent content, if not it does read a bit like hedging their bets, but I get why they put that in there as to not have the forum turn on people on a dime.
We've been out resetera'd?
Era doesn't take a political stance, at least the moderation doesn't. That the users lean progressive is just the makeup of the forum. This is a place for reasoned, civil debate, and hateful speech is not allowed, so Era doesn't necessarily target any political opinion, just some of it happens to be against the TOS.