• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
One of the things I really liked about Saga Frontier 2 is that the story unfolds through a cast that ages, spawn their descendants and then the story follows those characters in a continuous timeline. This plot device is really cool IMO but fairly underutilized. Other games that featured this element includes Dragon Quest V and some Fire Emblem titles.

What are some other examples you could think of?

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
Oreshika is probably what you're looking for. The family is cursed to have short life span so you gotta marry deities and create children.

Apr 25, 2018
The Suikoden series had this, across the games you play as the same characters in different stages of their lives, and sometimes as the children of characters from previous games

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
Phantasy Star has always fascinated me for the multi-generational aspect of the characters.
So well done for the time.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Xenogears could count here. You don't play as the ancestors but you learn all about them.

The Breath of Fire series

The Zelda series

Final Fantasy X

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The concept is ripe with potential, but is usually a huge bummer for gamers, like myself, who want to see more gay content in games.

Mostly we're ignored entirely in that respect, as if gay people don't also have families, or if we are given a scrap of inclusion, the player is punished for pursing it. (ex. Fire Emblem Fates.)

I'm all for using family lineage as plot point and game mechanic, but developers need to remember that there are many types of families.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Phantasy Star III even has different descendants depending on your choices. It goes through 3 generations.

Deleted member 35895

user requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2017
Nobody mentioned Dragon Valor for the PS1?

The story spans through several generations - cool thing is based on some choice throughout the game you can end up marrying different people and spawn separate lineages which lead to different levels and ending.

The game is old-school action RPG as it can get, very arcade feel to it, no grinding or backtracking - just you, a nice set of moves and some powerups / spells hidden in the stages. I think it still plays nice today.

Plus it has some kickass music, as you have might noticed from the intro:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest V

268104-dragon-quest-v-tenku-no-hanayome-snes-front-cover.jpg

Kresnik

Oct 26, 2017
Oreshika is most definitely what you're looking for. Just buy a cheap PSTV to play it if you're interested.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Oreshika is most definitely what you're looking for. Just buy a cheap PSTV to play it if you're interested.
Yep, severely underplayed game.

Because I'm playing it atm, I'll bring up Sol Trigger. It's an Imagepoch PSP RPG that was never brought over, and written by Nojima (FF7, FF8, FF10, Kingdom Hearts, etc). A lot of it is pretty fun, but it bungles the generation thing soooooooo badly.

You lose the 'final battle' a fair while into the game, and then 19 year timeskip where you pick up with the kid of the main character. But they present it as basically the start of a game narrative-wise, and not the second half of an already in-progress one, which leads to a lot of repeated information that is completely pointless and murders the pace.
I've seen it on Steam and always wanted to check it out. Maybe I should.

Edit: Oreshika also looks cool, but I'm not keen on buying a Vita or the setup box just for it.
Agarest is pretty terrible. Even as an SRPG superfan, I couldn't stomach all the typical Compile Heart and Idea Factory shit (bad execution, worse characters).

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
I can't think of a game that has a family spanning generations as a gameplay mechanic better than Oreshika Tainted Bloodlines, it even included a very good online mode to cross over your families with friends or others players online, the game story litterally lasts somewhere between 8-15 generations depending on how you play it.
It's also fun to see some facial/character feature from an ancestor suddenly appear once again in his/her descendant a few generations later, you also really build up a lot of things through every character that get passed on to the next generation until the point you're able to overcome the next challenge in-game.

Not mentionned yet but I think Romancing Saga 2 did that to some degree as well?

Xenor

Jun 1, 2018
One of the things I really liked about Saga Frontier 2 is that the story unfolds through a cast that ages, spawn their descendants and then the story follows those characters in a continuous timeline. This plot device is really cool IMO but fairly underutilized. Other games that featured this element includes Dragon Quest V and some Fire Emblem titles.

What are some other examples you could think of?

I love Saga Frontier 2 because of this.
I enjow how it shows the ages of characters too. I searched for a similar game forever. but the only one I know is Dragon Valor :(

Jul 20, 2018
The whole series is all about the cyclical nature of the world of Hyrule, and how every generation or every few generations, the same general conflict between Link, Zelda, and Ganon manifests itself over and over again

I think the OP is asking for games where you see the characters age, have children, etc. all in one game.

Ocarina of Time kind of does it.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I think the OP is asking for games where you see the characters age, have children, etc. all in one game.

Ocarina of Time kind of does it.

Lufia 2 counts. The main character starts with one girlfriend, finds another, marries the new girl, and they have a kid together. And that all happens about a third of the way through the game