• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
"At one point V, the player character, mockingly says "and who are dem" in response to Placide's pronunciation."

Not from an English speaking country, I don't understand this. Can someone explain to me what's wrong with this?

Placide is a Haitian name, and one of the features of African-American Vernacular English (a common black dialect/accent in the US) is that speakers ofter replace their "th" with a "d". The protagonist is mocking a black dialect.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, I'm not joking.
I just don't know the extent of it beyond what others have said. I'm not well antiquated with Poland.
TL;DR Communism really did a number on them, the Catholic Church is a huge influence in the country as they were quite instrumental in opposing communism, their political parties are quite confusing (Ie the socially conservatives party is fiscally liberal (not neo-liberal) and the socially progressive party is fiscally neo-liberal) etc etc

All this (and a lot more) means that they've not had much room to "catch up" socially and they remain pretty conservative, with exceptions of course there are progressive people living there.

Do you think that people from different countries don't live in Poland or what? Read this article from 2018 - it's in Polish but you can translate it yourself. I don't have time for that. People working at CD Projekt RED come from 32 countries.

Dude I lived there for 4 years and I can tell you that seeing a PoC in Krakow was an event for me.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
I have always been very puzzled over the "CyberPunk looks amazing" posts....we have seen nothing of the game and how it plays.

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
Dude I lived there for 4 years and I can tell you that seeing a PoC in Krakow was an event for me.

Now you sound like xenophobe. Once again - what does it change? I linked you an article that clearly states that people who work on the game come from different cultures and countries. More than half of their team isn't Polish and you still make some weird generalization and implication.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what Pondsmith thinks of all these issues.

I wonder if he's even at E3. Would be nice for someone to ask him.

Now you sound like xenophobe. Once again - what does it change? I linked you an article that clearly states that people who work on the game come from different cultures and countries. More than half of their team isn't Polish and you still make some weird generalization and imply the worst.

Just so we're clear, you seem more offended that this poster is stating facts about Poland, than you are about how CDPR seems to be handling certain things in the game. That's not xenophobia.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
For me, I never expected it to have great gunplay. I'll probably end up playing on easy difficulty like I did with The Witcher 2 and 3.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Now you sound like xenophobe. Once again - what does it change? I linked you an article that clearly states that people who work on the game come from different cultures and countries. More than half of their team isn't Polish and you still make some weird generalization and imply the worst.

At the end of 2017. Group employed people from 32 countries around the world. Most of them, except for Polish, comes from the UK (15 people), the US (11 people) and Canada (10 people).

Not sure that's a ringing endorsement of being particularly multicultural.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I haven't followed the game too deep, but is V a more well defined character with his/her own personality like Geralt or do we play a more blank slate character where you role play as the character like skyrim games?

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Ironic in a thread about poorly handled racial stereotypes.

Sorry but as a very straight very white male I am happy to use my privilege to point out that the majority of games critics are disproportionately white and male. Meanwhile the dominance of the enthusiast press means a lot of reviews don't delve very deeply into elements like themes when it comes to reviews but focus on content and gameplay.

Edit: for reference, I hope the game is really great. I love Witcher 3 for all its faults but I'm just increasingly concerned it's going to very thematically shallow and critics will ignore that.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I just can't anymore so I'm going to peace out. People are jumping to conclusions really quickly, huh. Some of you have to realize that the script for the game is based on Cyberpunk 2020 written by Mike Pondsmith who played big part in creating the world / characters / society in the game.

CDPR hasn't exactly earned the benefit of the doubt.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
If the only way they could find to represent a trans woman was through a hyper sexualized and fetishized image clearly inspired by that very specific hentai subgenre, god help us with the racial stereotypes or the portrayal of other queer people.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the end of 2017. Group employed people from 32 countries around the world. Most of them, except for Polish, comes from the UK (15 people), the US (11 people) and Canada (10 people).

Not sure that's a ringing endorsement of being particularly multicultural.
I also wonder how many of those 32 countries are predominantly white countries.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
good writeup. i'm honestly not expecting cdpr to do better. they became famous for a game where you receive nudes of the female npcs, and marketing for gog, which is under the same corporate umbrella, has aligned with gamergate

i'm passing on this game

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
[/QUOTE]
Now you sound like xenophobe. Once again - what does it change? I linked you an article that clearly states that people who work on the game come from different cultures and countries. More than half of their team isn't Polish and you still make some weird generalization and implication.
When the Witcher was criticized for its lack of diversity, one of the defense was "it's because Poland is so homogenized so the developers don't know better." So apparently that's just a bunch of nonsense, then?

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
Not surprised about the gunplay....witcher 3 was great but damn did it have some mediocre gameplay and many of the quests were follow the witcher sense. Hoping it's better in this.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Can you explain this one please

It's a joke about gender fluidity and shows a massive penis under the unitard with the headline "mix it up" and a drink name that evokes hormone therapy.

Chronosome, emphasis on the word MAN and then cure in the drink name.

Given their "history" with trans rights it's a real not great look.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Yeah, the gunplay I saw in that big gameplay video from last year was decidedly lacking. Borderlands type weak sauce. Chipping numbers out of bullet-sponge healthbars.

I'm hoping I can avoid that bullshit by wrangling some kind of high-lethality or stealth build from the RPG elements.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
The Witcher had an incredible world but none of the 3 games had compelling gameplay. It seems like it's improved for Cyberpunk but this opinion is somewhat worrying. I don't want to play a dull shooter for 50-100 hours just because of a good story or world, the game has to feel good for me to bother.
You can play the whole demo non lethal apparently.

grascher

Feb 25, 2018
Easy Allies were "extremely impressed" with shooting so I will wait to see for myself ( I don't know how to timestamp, but they say it at 2:11:50)

Antiax

Oct 27, 2017
You have one article and then you have multiple which are all very positive about gameplay mechanics. Sigh.

Andrew-Ryan

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Increasingly confident this is just playing into typical power fantasy future stuff for targeting a perceived straight white male audience and will lack the cutting commentary of the best cyperpunk works (but it will review great anyway because the majority of critics are white males who don't care about themes)
Such as?

Oudone79

Banned
Jun 21, 2018
TL;DR Communism really did a number on them, the Catholic Church is a huge influence in the country as they were quite instrumental in opposing communism, their political parties are quite confusing (Ie the socially conservatives party is fiscally liberal (not neo-liberal) and the socially progressive party is fiscally neo-liberal) etc etc

All this (and a lot more) means that they've not had much room to "catch up" socially and they remain pretty conservative, with exceptions of course there are progressive people living there.

With all my respects to polish people but is eastern Europe not western Europe.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I also wonder how many of those 32 countries are predominantly white countries.

The problem is, you can't just narrow it down to a country. There are some cities in the United States, Canada and the UK that are some of the diverse spots on the Earth. Then there are the more rural areas that tend not to be.

I work with over 200 web developers in and around Katowice, and they are some of the most talented developers around. Unfortunately, also in my experience, I've felt the way some of them treat women on the team extremely problematic. It was very much a dominant vs. subservient relationship which really skeeved me out.

Also don't joke about National Donut/Fat Thursday to them. They didn't appreciate it.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
Stereotypes are really disappointing, this was a good chance for them to do a good portrayal of trans characters.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Most of the seminal Cyberpunk works like Gibson's Sprawl trilogy are full or stereotypes, but that was 30+ years ago, CDPR devs should definitely be more sensitive regarding these issues. Also, the main character is a hardened criminal and a jackass apparently but I hope there's some character arc or calling out and pointing out of why this is wrong, else it's just pointless bigotry.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I feel like the majority of the criticism after launch is going to be on the handling of stuff like that. I rolled my eyes when the Jackie character was as originally revealed. It's just such a tired stereotype for a Hispanic character to speak like that. GTA games also do this in their satire filled open worlds. It was more toned down in RDR 2.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like they need a staff meeting with Hollie B setting the standard. I don't like what I'm seeing here.