• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
0e79qtzua0d11.jpg

This is what this game has boiled down to for me. Defenders dismissing the complaints about the regressive undercurrent of CDPR and Cyberpunk 2077 because they're excited about the shiny toy.
It's funny how this shitty meme that is only used to shut down discussion and isn't actually accurate to people's complaints of the game literally quotes another shitty meme that is only used to shut down discussion and doesn't add anything to discussion.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It's funny how this shitty meme that is only used to shut down discussion and isn't actually accurate to people's complaints of the game literally quotes another shitty meme that is only used to shut down discussion and doesn't add anything to discussion.
its almost like the videogame isn't out yet and we should wait for it to be out and judge it as a holistic product rather than cancelling it a year before release

No Idea

Mar 18, 2019
I'll be the judge of the gameplay myself. Could care less about someone else's opinion on that. The news on how they're handling stereotypes is kind of unnerving though.

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Yeaaah. I'm not buying this. You couldn't pay me to do so now.

At first, it appears a simple asshole as community manager. But this is patently unacceptable and I will not be purchasing any CDPR games in the future.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Yep. And at the time, when I pointed out how awful the dialogue was, I got ripped a new one from some people on Era because the defense force for this game was almost as "hardcore" as the game wants to be. lol
Say what now, you didn't think the Hispanic character calling the female lead 'Jaina' was top-tier writing?

lol

Asian culture used as window dressing (last years demo)
OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
dude night city is supposed to be a melting pot of every kind of culture imaginable, japan is the number one superpower in the game and controls most media, japanese would be a common language among many people, i don't get this take, i'm actually quite happy for once i hear spoken chinese in a videogame and can understand it
So you are happy the way they use asian language and imagery in the game? My english langauge isn't good enough to explain it but reading this it sounds again, stereotypical.

its almost like the videogame isn't out yet and we should wait for it to be out and judge it as a holistic product rather than cancelling it a year before release
stop being crazy! Problematic elements within the game are obviously an endorsement by the developers and are definitely not used to convey the themes of cyberpunk at all, haven't you heard? Someone on their twitter account said something stupid.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Sounds like the exact opposite of the truth.
They are depicting a dystopian future filled to the brim of social issues, where criminal gangs run the streets and corporate entities overrule governments.
And people are complaining their depiction of the agents at play is less than flattering.
Is that what the game's actually about or is it just neon-drenched window dressing to what could be any city in any open-world crime game? I'll be real, I'm not inclined to give this game and its developers the benefit of the doubt for several reasons, not the least of which is their history concerning queer issues. Also, having done dozens of playthroughs of the GTA series, I'm wary of AAA developers and gaming culture at large trojan-horsing misanthropic worldviews under a disingenuous veneer of satire.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
So you are happy the way they use asian language and imagery in the game? My english langauge isn't good enough to explain it but reading this it sounds again, stereotypical.

dude i'm chinese and it is perfectly fine, i know asian people are not a monolith but it is inherent in cyberpunk fiction, chinese is spoken by literally 1 billion people, in this cyberpunk timeline japanese would likely be as well
if we're talking on whether or not orientalism SHOULD be inherent to cyberpunk fiction, that is a different story but i don't see any problem myself with it's depiction in the game

ManixMiner

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
The Un-united Kingdom
Yup I also thought the sword combat/magic abilities in TW3 were fine (not total garbage as many believe) and everything else is just created to such an insanely high quality level that you forgive some short comings in gameplay.

And you're in for a treat with B&W which is pretty much a 10/10 old school expansion so enjoy it!

Exactly there are far more positive elements in TW3 that the combat isn't really an issue. When I stick on TW3 I just get lost in the world, Gwent is very addictive and encourages you go out and find a better deck, the sub plot lines all play out into the final ending even the Priscilla sub quest was fantastic. CDPR really pushed the bar high in the witcher series.

I'm really looking forward to B&W I heard it's the same size as Skellige and I still have some sub quests and undiscovered locations to find from HoS/base game but all the important quest lines are wrapped up so I got the best ending (imo).

OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
dude i'm chinese and it is perfectly fine, i know asian people are not a monolith but it is inherent in cyberpunk fiction
I don't disagree - but it seems like the way they use it is the exact opposit of what you would want. As in it's not part of the world, it's just window dressing to make it look cool.

Please read it and not just quickanswer.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk is supposed to be dystopian, it is supposed to be full of awful things. Did y'all get mad at the movie Dredd because it had a black man as a drug dealer that didn't speak the queens English? y'all upset 24/7 smmfh

If you need to rely on shallow racial stereotypes to get your classism divide across (especially if the racial stereotypes are just window dressing rather than the point) than maybe you shouldn't be creating a cyberpunk game. And yes, I have not played the full game and what's in there could be completely different from what was shown. The issue is that I can only judge what was shown, and what was shown has been...problematic. And they have even more to prove after the disastrous PR that was their old twitter PR manager.

stop being crazy! Problematic elements within the game are obviously an endorsement by the developers and are definitely not used to convey the themes of cyberpunk at all, haven't you heard? Someone on their twitter account said something stupid.

I'm real glad transphobia is such a non-issue to you that you are relegating it to "someone said something stupid".

dude i'm chinese and it is perfectly fine, i know asian people are not a monolith but it is inherent in cyberpunk fiction

Like...you do realize that the reason why cyberpunk has Chinese/Japanese takeovers of western companies was because of the then fear of China/Japan (depending on the decade) taking over via business warfare? That element was never in there just because "it was cool"

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I don't disagree - but it seems like the way they use it is the exact opposit of what you would want. As in it's not part of the world, it's just window dressing to make it look cool.

Please read it and not just quickanswer.
they state there are literal language barriers in some of the games districts, as in, instead of level gating you're gated off by not having a certain translation chip, i'd imagine we'd have soemthing like that for chinese speakers and other languages

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Just heard what Easy Allies had to say about the demo. It was pretty great on their side, with some interesting insights.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
CDPR no longer have books to rely on for this.

Whilst it could be the case that CP2077's characters aren't as well fleshed out as TW3, it's pretty ignorant to think that the tens of thousands of lines of dialogue in that game were due to them having books to base the game upon. The books don't even utilize dialogue that much and the level of dialogue quality in TW3 was largely due to excellent writers.

Xibal

Banned
May 14, 2019
It's a joke about gender fluidity and shows a massive penis under the unitard with the headline "mix it up" and a drink name that evokes hormone therapy.

Chronosome, emphasis on the word MAN and then cure in the drink name.

Given their "history" with trans rights it's a real not great look.
Which is exactly what the original board game was full of. Did you ever take a look at the advertisements on the game manual? Did you ever hear of "Doctor Studd's sexual implant"?It's all pourposely gross, flashing, eye-catching like a modern non-sense eau de parfume spot.
Does it really need to be explained?

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Like...you do realize that the reason why cyberpunk has Chinese/Japanese takeovers of western companies was because of the then fear of China/Japan (depending on the decade) taking over via business warfare? That element was never in there just because "it was cool"
do you not think i understand that? yellow peril 2.0 is the only way we'll ever get asian representation in videogames/movies so i've come to accept it in cyberpunk media

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Mike Pondsmith, the creator of cyberpunk, is black and heavily involved with this project. I think you guys are too obsessed with the "progressive" stuff and are the xenophobic ones against Poland.

It's a AAA game, which means that tons of people from many countries, cultures and skin colors will be working there. Their lead studio is in Europe so yes, many of them are white. And since it's technology stuff most of the cast will be men. But yes, I bet they have people from many backgrounds there. Starting with the afroamerican creative director of the IP.
having a black creator involved doesnt mean it can't still lean into harmmful stereotypes and problematic writing lmao , black people still did caricature roles in hollywood, it was still bad and dersiive

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
It's a good thing nobody takes RPS seriously.
Lmfao, really bro? Not a good look.

This game is coming out in 2020 and has corny stereotypical shit straight out of 2005 in it. We've seen way more than enough to know by now. We should be expecting better, not settling for laziness. And they still ample time to fix shit, if they care enough to do so.

Oligarchenemy

Oct 25, 2017
bro are you just not allowed to read books from famous authors now what is this take

EDIT: Looked it up mb the book looks trash lmao

Uhhh

White is Bret Easton Ellis's first work of nonfiction. Already the bad boy of American literature, from Less Than Zero to American Psycho, Ellis has also earned the wrath of right-thinking people everywhere with his provocations on social media, and here he escalates his admonishment of received truths as expressed by today's version of "the left." Eschewing convention, he embraces views that will make many in literary and media communities cringe, as he takes aim at the relentless anti-Trump fixation, coastal elites, corporate censorship, Hollywood, identity politics, Generation Wuss, "woke" cultural watchdogs, the obfuscation of ideals once both cherished and clear, and the fugue state of American democracy. In a young century marked by hysterical correctness and obsessive fervency on both sides of an aisle that's taken on the scale of the Grand Canyon, White is a clarion call for freedom of speech and artistic freedom.

Jesus.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Making a cyberpunk game with tired racial stereotypes is some next level of dumb shit.

Unless it's intentional, in which case it's disgusting.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
when you're the creative and the source and reason for the depiction and you havent presented any form of challenge or takedown of problem issues, what is it if not an endorsement? deliberate inclusion for what then?
that's why i still maintain you should wait for the actual game to come out before straight up cancelling it a year out from release, to view it as a holistic work and judge it fully rather and see if it was deliberately shitty and a throwaway, if it is, by all means boycott CDPR, i know i would

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Right. It's only important what the majority thinks.

Just like Cyberpunk seems to have racist stereotypes and seems to be transphobic.

It doesn't matter because the majority of people don't care and will enjoy the game.

Isn't that right?

Are you really comparing social issues with people views about gameplay? Really?

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
My problem with the pre-release footage is that it's hard to distinguish between the tones CDPR are trying to pull off.

So when you start to see problematic shit, it's difficult to parse through what they deem to be commentary on the Cyberpunk genre ( i.e. a look at social issues, others have mentioned themes like transhumanism) and what they deem to be edgy and cool.

When this company is known for some other concerning things, it's going to get increasingly muddy as to what they as creators are endorsing and what they are trying to say as criticism to the window dressing of this world.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
CDPR could probably get a fair pass if they had someone simply say, on stage "We plan to address topics such as body transformation, sexuality, gender, race, and other sensitive topics with a diverse team of talent. Please walk hand in hand with us while we attempt to do these stories justice and represent all people."

At least that would help most people feel as if these decisions aren't made with pure ignorance. I could assume with such a comment that stereotypes will be critiqued in a meaningful way and prior source material will also be critiqued if it hasn't aged well.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
My problem with the pre-release footage is that it's hard to distinguish between the tones CDPR are trying to pull off.

So when you start to see problematic shit, it's difficult to parse through what they deem to be commentary on the Cyberpunk genre ( i.e. a look at social issues, others have mentioned themes like transhumanism) and what they deem to be edgy and cool.

When this company is known for some other concerning things, it's going to get increasingly muddy as to what they as creators are endorsing and what they are trying to say as criticism to the window dressing of this world.
Yeah, it is hard to parse this I agree, like this post makes a really good point:
when you're the creative and the source and reason for the depiction and you havent presented any form of challenge or takedown of problem issues, what is it if not an endorsement? deliberate inclusion for what then?
but also I feel it's still quite hard to judge this kind of thing when we have barely seen anything from the game yet and have yet to see if it consistently shitty or if the shittiness serves an actual purpose, tone and style wise. This is like a 50 hour plus game, you have to judge it holistically.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
A CDPR game has bad gameplay and bad portrayals of non white characters I'm shocked.

Bunga

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't understand where this stuff about bad gameplay comes from quite honestly. Witcher 1 was pretty janky I'll admit, Witcher 2 was a huge improvement and actually the combat in that in my opinion was super rewarding when you actually used the full compliment of items/abilities available to you. Witcher 3 the only complaint (albeit a big one) I could level at it personally is that it was too easy even on Death March after the opening few hours.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I'll wait to see for myself but that's exactly what the older public demo was like.

Corny writing, constant T&A, "Aaaay V, I got some news bigger than my BALLS, homes!" I posted about it in another thread. It doesn't instill a lot of confidence. Feels like a different writer than TW3.

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
CD Projekt Red has always been about story, decisions and impact. it hasn't been about combat non of which you can experience in a 20 minute demo. I'll wait for reviews. :)

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I was wondering how long it would take before a venue spoke up about Cyberpunk's gunplay. It seems like everyone was more so concerned or fixated with how the game looks rather it's shooting but it's encouraging to see the journalists being critical of CDPR. Far too often have they and some other dev studios escaped criticisms that other developers face. Hopefully the bias the venues have for them gradually fades.

OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I mean the game isn't out yet so we can't really know if they don't show or do show any meaningful representation.
If it's anything like the last paragraph in the article then we alraedy know. They only showed the superficial window dressing as of now so I have to believe it will be common thread within the game.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Yep. And at the time, when I pointed out how awful the dialogue was, I got ripped a new one from some people on Era because the defense force for this game was almost as "hardcore" as the game wants to be. lol
That's wild, because I remember all of us mostly being in agreement that the dialogue was not only shitty from a racial perspective, but also riddled with a childishly absurd amount of pointlessly offensive language as well in the gameplay reveal thread...

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I usually don't end up playing open world games with weak gameplay/combat for long so, much like Witcher 3, I'm guessing I will try this for cheap and then ditch it some hours in.

The fact that it's first person ain't helping.

Honestly the only reason I even want to try it is because it reminds me of Ghost in the Shell.