• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria

On a very different note, the shooting looks limp. Bullets pile into people as their healthbars tick down, each shot lacking impact despite goon after goon tumbling to the floor. I'm hoping I won't need to resort to my gun too often, though: abilities like that turret manhandling spice up what looks like piddly gunplay.

I'm also increasingly concerned about Cyberpunk's handling of non-white cultures. Last year's Gamescom demo drew criticism for its clumsy and inauthentic presentation of a Latino character, and I'm not convinced the Voodoo Boys are a step in the right direction. At one point V, the player character, mockingly says "and who are dem" in response to Placide's pronunciation.

Hack me if old.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CDPR aren't exactly the beacon of progressiveness so not that surprised about the representation aspect. Such a shame.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Witcher had an incredible world but none of the 3 games had compelling gameplay. It seems like it's improved for Cyberpunk but this opinion is somewhat worrying. I don't want to play a dull shooter for 50-100 hours just because of a good story or world, the game has to feel good for me to bother.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Eurogamer noted many of the same things, including the uh. "Unimaginative" portrayal of black people as poor, creole-speaking slum dwellers whose vernacular the protagonist mocks

May 17, 2018
I know people want to give them the benefit of the doubt because they've made good games, but, man, all signs point to this game being problematic as *fuck*.

Hope Gamefly is still around next year cause this is a rent at best for me, right now.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i can't wait for the endless "gunplay sucks" comments for years after launch. everyone loves doing it for Witcher 3 "combat sucks". lol

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I didn't love the combat in any of the Witcher games. I was hoping they'd be able to get it right here.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uh oohhhh....

No Sapkowski material to lean on anymore huh....

Sapkowski was pretty progressive in his books for the time.

Gunztrix

Oct 28, 2017
The game looks great in every other way except gameplay based on the limited things they have shown is so far.

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently it's possible to finish the game with no kills so if gunplay is indeed bad there should be several alternatives.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Gunplay being wack and kinda shit isn't surprising at all, considering combat design has always been this company's weak point.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Correct me If I am wrong.
Shouldn't dystopian cyberpunk be full of racism,slurs and offensive stuff? This is downfall of social relationships, not sure why it should be pretty.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't dystopian cyberpunk be full of racism,slurs and offensive stuff? This is downfall of social relationships, not sure why it should be pretty.
Is this the reverse of historical accuracy? Futurical accuracy?

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I completely expected the main character of this game to be a shithead tbh so this isn't concerning, yet.

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
i can't wait for the endless "gunplay sucks" comments for years after launch. everyone loves doing it for Witcher 3 "combat sucks". lol

Well, it's true. The witcher 3 combat system is hot garbage. The modding helped to alleviate that, hell, even a cdproject red employee released a combat related mod because it... sucks.

Look if it works for you, fine. But it's bad. And I love the witcher, not gonna make any excuses for it.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Im surprised theydont team up with the Painkiller devs for the shooting mechanic cause they are also in Poland. Would make it better. With regards to progressiveness and stereotypes. Yee i kinda expected them to mess it up, they dont handle these things to well over there in Poland

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
So you can't have a racist character in a videogame, racism is a huge part of society regardless of how shit it is.

Edit: Didn't realize we were talking about the protag.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Damn. I'd like to give then the benefit of the doubt, but these types of things just keep happening, first the tweets, then the trans ad, and now this, I can't help but feel the game will wind up having terrible representation and treat whatever representation they have poorly.

There's still a chance they could critique society on these matters, but given the way things have been shown, that's getting less and less likely. Plus, even if they do critique modern day discrimination, if they still include things like this, is that really saying much, or simply playing both sides?

Fingerthing

Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk as a setting has always been pretty crass - the game's motto is literally "style over substance." However, I can understand people's reluctance to extend the benefit of the doubt, especially in the context of last year's tweets.
For now, my mind is undecided, and waiting for the full context of the game.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Gunplay potentially being weak was always a concern for me going into this, Witcher 3 suffered from lackluster combat on top of input lag... it also doesn't help that this is their first big title with a first person perspective.

Hope they can polish and iterate on it from now towards release.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Yeah, my hype about it fell hard.
I love Keanu, but boy deserved better than this game.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is fine if the medium also uses this opportunity to point out how problematic it is. I love The Office and Michael Scott, so even the fact that Michael demonstrates a clear lack of empathy and pure ignorance, the show points out why it's problematic by showing how ridiculous his racism and homophobia is. I just really question whether CDPR are the type of developer to do this. Especially based on their twitter account statements where "they want to stay out of politics."

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Maybe that xenophobia in cyberpunk has merit after all. First Deus Ex, now this.

A63ECB1F87FDF1031D851BD5F25AE99DDEA5327D