• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
7rv9ucef

OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
RPS in 2019 shouldn't be considered more credible than PCGamer. They're a hot take factory looking to put a negative spin on literally everything while throwing out an "rps recommended" once a month for appearances. All of the staff they had was decent is now gone.

So the same things Eurogamer brought up... just means what now? This is a horrible take.

You guys really have some serious problem with your brains. Someone, here it's Mike Pondsmith, made an universe with transphobic and xenophobic society which is set in future. No one cares you feel bad with shitting on transgender pepole in this game, IT'S A VIDEO GAME, AND IT'S A PART OF THIS UNIVERSE. It's not a real world. Oh, you don't like this universe? You don't buy it, simple as that. Eleven pages because someone is making their jobs right, good lord.
First, check your tone.
Second, while the tabletop has problems, it's greatly misinterpreted in the game from what we see.
Third, fiction can be criticized. Hell my Avatar is HPL, who's blatant racism and xenophobia is well know. I read and like his work but can still think is highly problematic - but thankfully is handled better nowadays and there are books inspired by his view and still work with his imaginations.

You can do better and not just "bro it up" in a hamfisted way.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Just read avout the Voodo boy and the Animals, this studio knows exactly what it is doing.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Funny you should mention that. There's this thing called voice direction. And this was incredibly racist voice direction. Here's a transcript of the actress actually talking
Thank you for bringing that interview to light, I'm glad that someone did it at all. It's really interesting to hear the stance of someone who has worked so long in the industry, especially in her unique position.
CDPR could probably get a fair pass if they had someone simply say, on stage "We plan to address topics such as body transformation, sexuality, gender, race, and other sensitive topics with a diverse team of talent. Please walk hand in hand with us while we attempt to do these stories justice and represent all people."

At least that would help most people feel as if these decisions aren't made with pure ignorance. I could assume with such a comment that stereotypes will be critiqued in a meaningful way and prior source material will also be critiqued if it hasn't aged well.
Sometimes I feel like there's a shared anxiety about being in the dark about someone's intentions or thoughts in these kinds of issues. Although I don't seek to invalidate anyone's readings of this imagery, it always feels like we'd know so much more if the creator (In this case, CDPR) was more vocal about their visions and intentions for their creation. Otherwise, some of us want to assume the worst because we stand against the implications we see, or we want to assume the best or dismiss things so that we don't have to think about the implications.

I would very much like to hear CDPR's thoughts on gender, race, transhumanism, etc. and what that means for their vision of Cyberpunk. I don't know if they have plans for that, but engaging in those topics at all would probably be a more welcoming step for understanding than the more accepted radio silence and "We don't talk about that kind of stuff but it's in our games somehow" that game developers and companies seem to want most times.

OT: I usually just read through these kinds of threads because I don't know if my opinion is very valuable, or maybe I'm afraid that my opinion won't be shared by other people. And for that reason, I tend to spout some pretty non-committal stuff and just don't end up posting it.

At the end of the day it's the issue that people don't want their race to be treated like a joke. I'm even a little surprised that not only was this faction originally "white boys" in the original Cyberpunk lore, but that they changed it the way that they did.

I must admit, it's far easier to assume that CDPR is tactless and potentially offending on purpose with their history. I don't feel comfortable making those kinds of assumptions without more context of the game, but I definitely respect that perspective. As many point out, it's the difference between just having something "in your game" and condoning/approving of it.

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
You guys really have some serious problem with your brains. Someone, here it's Mike Pondsmith, made an universe with transphobic and xenophobic society which is set in future. No one cares you feel bad with shitting on transgender pepole in this game, IT'S A VIDEO GAME, AND IT'S A PART OF THIS UNIVERSE. It's not a real world. Oh, you don't like this universe? You don't buy it, simple as that. Eleven pages because someone is making their jobs right, good lord.
And you added to the page count. Strange choice but okay.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
FFS! This looking to be my first ever CDPR experience, and now all of this shit... I should be excited, but now I don't even know.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Correct me If I am wrong.
Shouldn't dystopian cyberpunk be full of racism,slurs and offensive stuff? This is downfall of social relationships, not sure why it should be pretty.

Not really as proliferation of things like mechanical enhancements and technomancy basically blur what it is to be human. In a truly cyberpunk future, people wouldn't have time to worry about what your race is because they'd be more concerned about whether or not the augments you can see are an indication of whether or not they're going to murder you. It's the crux of the transhumanist argument.

But I doubt the game is going to explore that in any meaningful way.

No it's more focused on class struggles

Eh, it's both, but you're right. It's more classism because the people in the majority of these stories don't want to be where they are, they want to be "over there" as "over there" are usually depicted as ideal places to live and thrive.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
not shocked at all given how the dialogue in the trailer sounded like it was written by a teenage edgelord

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
A sexualized ad in a likely rated m game oh no

I mean, real talk. Is this ad trying to be interesting flavor text for a cyberpunk dystopian society, or is it "that girl has a dick, ha ha".

Like, the idea of gene manipulation and gender splicing is a very interesting thing to explore in this type of setting...but you better handle it with care because that is a whole can of worms that most CIS white dudes are not equip to open.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
This game has become a real monkey's paw deal. A big budget open world Cyberpunk RPG is basically dream game material for me and yet the more we hear about this the more I'm put off by it.

I can deal with bad gameplay but extremely uncomfortable stereotyping and their garbage transphobic tweets are indefensible

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why this is an excuse for bad gunplay or melee systems at all. Alpha Protocol also had really terrible gunplay. You can have meaty gunplay and RPG-elements. Like increased damage with better gear, aim-assistance with better skills, elements and status changes and so on.

From looking at the game I can't say the gunplay is any worse than being serviceable

All it needs to be imo

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
It's like all sense of subtlety went out the window from their witcher writing

The witcher had subtly?

From looking at the game I can't say the gunplay is any worse than being serviceable

All it needs to be imo

Oh I'd say the only way it can get away with just being serviceable is if the rest of that world is an amazing thing to explore and interact with.

And if it's not...god help them.

Oct 29, 2017
Not really as proliferation of things like mechanical enhancements and technomancy basically blur what it is to be human. In a truly cyberpunk future, people wouldn't have time to worry about what your race is because they'd be more concerned about whether or not the augments you can see are an indication of whether or not they're going to murder you. It's the crux of the transhumanist argument.

But I doubt the game is going to explore that in any meaningful way.
Feel s like a case of, "let's have this vision of Cyberpunk only taken from the most famous sources", even if they are 20-30 years old.

So it is works like The Diamond Age or Snow Crash which are the blueprint, but you can say they are outdated, since they saw a future that was even more racist than our own. Especially when the setting of the Diamond Age is a society culturally regressing with the help of technology.

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Eurogamer brought up the same complaints about the stereotyping, which I wish was the focus of this thread and not the gameplay.
Of course people focus on the gunplay and not the stereotyping. Because CDPR have shown their ass on that front multiple times with very little done to try and change people's perception. And so everyone who LOVES CDPR and wants to get the game will focus on gunplay because they know whatever bs they throw out to defend the stereotyping will be flimsy at best.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Feel s like a case of, "let's have this vision of Cyberpunk only taken from the most famous sources", even if they are 20-30 years old.

So it is works like The Diamond Age or Snow Crash which are the blueprint, but you can say they are outdated, since they saw a future that was even more racist than our own.

I mean the fun think about Cyberpunk as a genre, or rather as a structure, is that we can bolt on as much present day politics as we feel is necessary. I wouldn't call the ideals from some of the older instances outdated, it's just that their targets have switched. If you were trying to stay relevant to today's fears and woes, I'd say that there would be a far more fearful aspect of a spanish take over rather than an asian one, and things like birth rates would be front and center rather than corporate espionage.

So much of 2077 seems like it's not even cribbing from PK Dick, but specifically blade runner and Akira and that's....fine? But the more we find out about the game, the less it seems like a real nuanced cyberpunk story and the more it feels like GTA6: THE FUTURE.

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
how to make a dystopian world work without this kind of broken society thing ? all this "offensiveness" doesn't make part of the world building ?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gunplay is surprising considering they brought in Remedy people specifically for the combat if I recall. But maybe the translation of straight up shooter to rpg requires certain modifications.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
how to make a dystopian world work without this kind of broken society thing ? all this "offensiveness" doesn't make part of the world building ?

By focusing less on issues of the moment and more on issues of the future.

Or, even better, taking the issues of the moment an using futurisms to change how we think about said issues. It would be really sad if 2077 takes the concept of being able to freely and effortless change your biological sex and how that relates to internal gender, and relegate it to a quick bad joke.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
Please have good gunplay. I know it's not a shooter but you still shoot and it should feel good. *fingers crossed*

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
You speak for all black women? I assume it is a black voice actor playing the role, and therefore the mannerisms are authentic to the actor.
First of all, you REEEEEEAAALLY need to watch the video. Your assumption can't possibly be based on what was heard...

I've been around black women, including my mother, for 30 years. I've been around black people for 30 years. I've been all over the states, and have traveled abroad, and have literally never heard any black person period talk ***THAT*** way outside of stereotypical (and alot of the time, old) movies made by white people. I don't need to "speak for all black women", when my wife and every black woman I've shown that video to thus far finds it aggressively offensive...

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I mean, real talk. Is this ad trying to be interesting flavor text for a cyberpunk dystopian society, or is it "that girl has a dick, ha ha".

Like, the idea of gene manipulation and gender splicing is a very interesting thing to explore in this type of setting...but you better handle it with care because that is a whole can of worms that most CIS white dudes are not equip to open.
Thing is it's maybe distasteful for being so blatantly sexual but even if the person is trans including them would not be phobia sexist if anything else

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not worried at all, since this is no shooter.

So, are you ignoring the second part of the the title or are you not worried about that either?

If so, what is the commentary here, then? "We can be racist and transphobic because it's cyberpunk"?

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can live with mediocre gameplay as long as the other factors are good, but stereotypical representation of minorities is disgusting to say the least. A studio as big as CDPR should know better.

OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
With actual good writing.

I can live with mediocre gameplay as long as the other factor are good, but stereotypical representation of minorities is disgusting to say the least. A studio as big as CDPR should know better.
Hint: They got so big because they don't care, or even worse, enforce it.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Thing is it's maybe distasteful for being so blatantly sexual but even if the person is trans including them would not be phobia sexist if anything else

It is if they're included solely for fetishism though, which this...in a vacuum and without context, certainly is.

All we can hope is that CDPR has a plan for this. I just don't think they do and did it for "funny hahas".

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Of course people focus on the gunplay and not the stereotyping. Because CDPR have shown their ass on that front multiple times with very little done to try and change people's perception. And so everyone who LOVES CDPR and wants to get the game will focus on gunplay because they know whatever bs they throw out to defend the stereotyping will be flimsy at best.
Feel like we need a thread reboot..

how to make a dystopian world work without this kind of broken society thing ?
By having good writing instead of appealing to the lowest denominator. So far the most commentary we've seen from the game is a single line about life insurance costs.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Depicting racism doesn't mean that you need to make characters into offensive stereotypes. In fact, if you want to seriously tackle topics such as racism, you shouldn't use one-dimensional stereotypes for actual characters. If you're playing stereotypes straight you're not depicting or tackling racism, you're just being racist.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
So much of 2077 seems like it's not even cribbing from PK Dick, but specifically blade runner and Akira and that's....fine? But the more we find out about the game, the less it seems like a real nuanced cyberpunk story and the more it feels like GTA6: THE FUTURE.
2077 looks to me like the Sprawl trilogy on steroids, basically, along with some aspects of other popular CP properties thrown in. Including all the edgy and stereotypical aspects of Gibson's work which were ok at the time but now can feel pretty outdated if you just transplant them to your own setting.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Combat was never their strong suit.

Hmm, I'm a little concerned and the stereotypes are pretty disappointing for a 2020 game. FFS.

LocoRoco

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
By focusing less on issues of the moment and more on issues of the future.

Or, even better, taking the issues of the moment an using futurisms to change how we think about said issues. It would be really sad if 2077 takes the concept of being able to freely and effortless change your biological sex and how that relates to internal gender, and relegate it to a quick bad joke.

But this is what a dystopian world mean to be, a place full of bad pll, bad choices, no respect, stupidit, bigotry and goes on, the "bad joke" is part od the world as a dystopian one

hopefully the game ll have some good messagem behind all this madness

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Depicting racism doesn't mean that you need to make characters into offensive stereotypes. In fact, if you want to seriously tackle topics such as racism, you shouldn't use one-dimensional stereotypes for actual characters. If you're playing stereotypes straight you're not depicting or tackling racism, you're just being racist.

That's a good point

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
So this game look like another Witcher 3, awesome in everything except the combat. I remember forcing myself completing the expansion because I got tired of the game play in Witcher 3

Waypoint impressions.

Hierophant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney

Austin Walker quite eloquently summarises my feelings pretty well about the game (at 3hrs:43mins), wanting to be excited about something that hits so many of my personal likes and interest points but there is that lingering feeling of the next shitty thing being right around the corner.