• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Asian culture used as window dressing (last years demo)
  • OP
    OP
    derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
    Austria
    dude night city is supposed to be a melting pot of every kind of culture imaginable, japan is the number one superpower in the game and controls most media, japanese would be a common language among many people, i don't get this take, i'm actually quite happy for once i hear spoken chinese in a videogame and can understand it
    So you are happy the way they use asian language and imagery in the game? My english langauge isn't good enough to explain it but reading this it sounds again, stereotypical.

More from Eurogamer
  • BAD

Oct 25, 2017
    USA
    What the FUCK is all this racial insensitivity in their writing???
    `I'm also increasingly concerned about Cyberpunk's handling of non-white cultures. Last year's Gamescom demo drew criticism for its clumsy and inauthentic presentation of a Latino character, and I'm not convinced the Voodoo Boys are a step in the right direction. At one point V, the player character, mockingly says "and who are dem" in response to Placide's pronunciation. I asked Tomaskiewicz if he was concerned they weren't treating certain cultures with enough respect.`

`Then – because again, we're very strong – we rip the turret off its base and turn it on the Animals. At this point, I feel increasingly uncomfortable that we're shooting at predominantly black people labelled as animals.`

From Eurogamer:
    `The population is now largely black, and the major language is largely Haitian Creole. We're here to meet a man called Placide, of the Voodoo Boys gang, for a mission. We search for him in a nearby church, and an NPC, named as "Poor Man", comes up to us. There is some questionable dialogue - or rather, questionable subtitling - where the man's thick Creole accent is also written out in the subtitles, "they" as "dey" and "the" as "da" or "de". This is the same for nearly all of the Voodoo Boys and people of this area, and actully after you unlock a chip in-game that translates launguage for you, your software presents it as such - "la" in a foreign language still "da" in English. Later on, Placide mentions "they are coming", or something of that ilk, and our white male character asks "who is "dey"?".`

Waypoint impressions.
  • Hierophant

Banned
    Oct 25, 2017
    Sydney

Austin Walker quite eloquently summarises my feelings pretty well about the game (at 3hrs:43mins), wanting to be excited about something that hits so many of my personal likes and interest points but there is that lingering feeling of the next shitty thing being right around the corner.