• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's time to really give the album the appreciation it deserves.

Just back from watching the band perform in Denmark, and any doubt about this album must have went out the window after hearing this live. Absolutely magnficent performance from them.

They played 7 songs from the album,

Eat the Elephant
Disillusioned
So Long and Thanks for the All The Fish
The Contrarian
Doomed
TalkTalk
Hourglass
Delicious

That was top 7 in the concert. Only Judith and The Hollow came close to the reception these songs got from the audience. The Contrarian got an amazing response after being played after one of few interludes/chats from Maynard, about all the shit going on in the world now.

I hope this album gets some recognition from music publications now that they summarize the year, because it's absolutely brilliant.

So far at least Loudwire ranked Disillusion as their favorite rock song of the year.

Kodros

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yeah, the album was really good. People seemed to be pissed that it wasn't the same APC sound from back in the day but I'm glad it's not. There's a couple songs that took me a few listens but overall, it's awesome. Plus, it has a Trump bashing song so extra points.

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
A Perfect Circle released an album this year? How the F did I miss that? Getting on that now ...

thespartin

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My favorite album of the year. It wasn't Mer de Noms level of perfection, but it was close. I feel like this is just Maynard and Billy starting to mellow out as they get older, but still putting out great music.

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
I'm surprised by the amount of praise this album is getting. It personally bored me to death. Even more so than Emotive.

But maybe I wasn't in the right mood. Will give it another listen eventually.

OP
OP
Cecil

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised by the amount of praise this album is getting. It personally bored me to death. Even more so than Emotive.

But maybe I wasn't in the right mood. Will give it another listen eventually.

"Bored me to death" is the kind of statement that doesn't really encourage people to discuss it with you. ;)

If you watch them perform the songs live, I can pretty much guarantee you that they won't bore you though.

My favorite album of the year. It wasn't Mer de Noms level of perfection, but it was close. I feel like this is just Maynard and Billy starting to mellow out as they get older, but still putting out great music.

Well Maynard definitely is changing. He's said so, that his music heals him, and if it can't help him, it won't help anyone else, and why would he continue then.

Feel that it's a positive change though, because he's involved in some really great music still.

Crispy

Oct 27, 2017
Saw them in Amsterdam last week, they were so on point. Great show.

Love the album as well, especially some of the lyrics. The tracks translated really well to the live performance. I still miss Josh Freese though :(

moeppel

Oct 26, 2017
saw them live in Berlin earlier this year. we even got the "dog eat dog" cover live, because Billy slipped on some cable and fell down xD

I really like the album :)

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely my favorite album released this year, wasn't able to catch a show but would love to.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
Favorite album of the year for me, easily. I've lost count of how many times I've listened to Feathers already. Really want to catch them live eventually. Seen Tool thrice till now but always manage to miss APC shows due to random issues.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Yeah, it's overall a pretty solid album. I wouldn't rank it as high as past work outside of eMotive, but still good. They were a blast to see live a little over a year ago (some of the new material was played).

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Definitely the ugliest album cover this year. Though Neko Case comes close.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
When I first gave it a listen, I thought it was alright, but that the songs lacked the hooks of their older stuff. Then I saw them live recently and the new material blew me away. In fact, when they played some of the older songs, it felt like everything shifted down a gear, and that the old songs lacked the layered complexity of their new material.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It just...plods along. I saw APC before they released Mer De Noms and was absolutely floored. Billy Howerdell can play a fucking guitar. Loudly. I loved Thirteenth Step. Even though it was a bit quieter, it was beautiful in parts. Emotive had some amazing covers. But again, this album inspires absolutely nothing in me. Puscifer is the better project at this point.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My girl is a huge APC fan, she hated the album. We went to see them live and I've never seen a band with more contempt for its fans. The merch prices were outrageous, to start. The band plays such that they're in silhouette. Crowd interaction? Or even acknowledgment? None. Zip. You couldn't bring a phone in; if you did people with night vision goggles found you and literally threw you out of the show. Watching that happen was more fun that the show itself, I guess. I'm baffled this band has fans.

MarquisJenkins

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
As an APC fan since the Mer De Noms, I didn't dig this album on the first listen. After several subsequent listens, it may be my favorite APC album. It's definitely tied with Thirteenth Step.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Really amazing album for this point in their career. Yeah it doesn't have the anger of Judith but who in the world realistically expected that? It's pretty in line with their trajectory coming off of 13th step. Really polished overall and some great songs. One of my top 10 for the year.

And when I saw them live the songs fit right in, too.

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
My girl is a huge APC fan, she hated the album. We went to see them live and I've never seen a band with more contempt for its fans. The merch prices were outrageous, to start. The band plays such that they're in silhouette. Crowd interaction? Or even acknowledgment? None. Zip. You couldn't bring a phone in; if you did people with night vision goggles found you and literally threw you out of the show. Watching that happen was more fun that the show itself, I guess. I'm baffled this band has fans.

Saw them live twice this year and there was plenty of interaction between Maynard and the fans. Maybe he was in a bad mood that time?

Plus, I wish all gigs had such a strict no phone/photo rule. It made everyone so much more engaged in what was happening rather than trying to capture a cool shot to post on social media. (Though Maynard said "fuck it" and let people take pics on the last couple of songs of the last gig, which was kinda cool of him.)

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's Maynard more than anything. I've seen Tool and APC a few times and that same contempt for fans definitely comes out in what Maynard says in-between songs. He's actively getting in the way of my enjoyment of Tool and has already completely ruined APC for me.

And that is such an asinine phone policy. That ends up being more distracting and disruptive than just letting people use their phones. But par for the course for Maynard these days I guess.

OP
OP
Cecil

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

My perspective on those points:

She might be a huge fan of APC, but if she actually hates the album, then I wouldn't award her the prize for the biggest APC fan. ;)

Is it a bit different from the other albums? Yes. But isn't each of their albums pretty different from the other ones? I mean, you have one full album of cover songs, and you have songs on Thirteen Steps like The Nurse Who Loved Me who is nowhere near a fit on Mer De Nomns, without being bad. If she's one of those who will always define a band/artist by their debut album, then Maynard will continue to dissappoint her. But I hope she can give the album another shot, because it's one that grows as you continue to listen to it.

As for being a band with contempt for the fans, that's so far far from my experience in Denmark. Only seen them that one time this tour (so far), but I didn't see any contempt for the fans.

They started at the expected time
They played a long show
The show was very well produced and well performed. Sound was great, the band felt energetic, the sound was good, the lightning and the graphics was fantastic and varied. And the audience gave the new songs fantastic receptions, and it was well deserved.

As for crowd interaction, was it less then some others band? Sure. But I was at Guns N' Roses this summer, and they said nothing to the audience, despite the show being 3½ hour long. Here we got a band introduction from Maynard, where he highlighed other bands where the members performed, an explanation about the thought behind the album, before The Contrarian, and some banter about phones when he waved the photo prohibation during the last song. He quickly disappeared when they were finished, but all other members stayed for a long time, thanking the audience. And Matt McJunkins and Billy Howerdel constantly moved around on scene, interacting and showing themselves.

Expensive merc? Where I was, it was cheaper from what I'm used to at sports events. The scarf I bought was 5€ cheaper then the scarf I bought a couple of months ago at a football game. Don't buy that much merc at music events, so I can't really compare to others, but the prices wasn't off putting for me.

Not trying to invalidate your opinions, but this is a reply to you being baffled as to why this band has fans. I had an absolutely great evening watching them.

I'd be bummed if they didn't play Feathers live. Seeing them live is still high on my to do list.

Yeah I really would have wanted Feathers as well, and By and Down. But Delicious was an amazing end to the gig, so I was still happy about the selection of songs.

When I first gave it a listen, I thought it was alright, but that the songs lacked the hooks of their older stuff. Then I saw them live recently and the new material blew me away. In fact, when they played some of the older songs, it felt like everything shifted down a gear, and that the old songs lacked the layered complexity of their new material.

This was my experience as well. And without saying that the old songs were badly performed or anything. Hollow, Weak and Powerless and Judith were all played with great intensity.

Last edited:

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic album. Sounded more like Puscifer to me in places but I didn't mind that too much as I quite like Pusicfer also.

Been listening to it a little more recently as it came up in my Spotify review and it's still as good to listen to today as it was a few months back when it was first released.

Luckily managed to get to one of their London shows earlier in year And it was pretty great. Very much a "MJK band" performance but the songs were amazing live.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Awesomely awesome album! I wish PC would perform here in Costa Rica! To my wish is to go watch Tool here.

Maynard is (IMHO) the best current singer in the world.

Mr.Beep

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
First few listens and for me it's not close to Mer de Noms or Thirteenth Step.

I do like a few of the tracks and I'm hoping it will grow on me as time passes.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for making this thread. I didn't see they had released a new album, and now I could finally give it a listen and it's fucking wonderful xD

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
I saw them twice in London this year - Wembley Arena, whilst undersold, was an amazing show (the sound at Brixton was a bit meh)

On first listen, the album was okay. When I came to understand more of the context and meaning of the songs, it went from a meh album to a brilliant one.

Americans can probably explain more to me from a cultural perspective, but I presume the elephant refers to the Republican logo? The content refers in detail to social media use, gun violence, trump, the system in general being awful...just really good, relevant commentary IMO.

Roll on the new Tool album in 2019 too. It's been FARRRRRRRRRRR to long.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the album quite a bit. It's different from their past stuff, but is still quite good. My only complaint really is I feel that the audio mix of the album sounds too compressed at times.

I saw them live way back shortly after Thirteenth Step came out. They were good live. Enjoyed it quite a bit. And yeah, I can understand how their live performance would change your opinion about the songs. There was a song off of Mer De Noms that I used to not like until I heard them play it live. They really sold it live, and it changed my opinion on it completely.

They usually have a pretty good artistic presence on their live shows, and the sound was good too.

desu

Oct 27, 2017
Saw them in Hamburg recently, fuck them for not playing Judith! (otherwise it was awesome).

As for the album, I've had a few listens but it never grew that much on me, it does have some really nice songs though.