• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Full spoilers ahead.

So yeah, decided to revisit this show for the first time in years. Just finished season 2. God I love this show so much. It really is fantastic. I actually think season 1 is much better than it's given credit for. It's just monster of the week every episode but they're mostly pretty good monsters of the week. Loved the ghost girl episode, praying mantis teacher, the episode where nigtmares become real is great. And I love the Hyena episode. Both parts of the pilot plus the season finale are great. Season 1 was a good fun time. Not spectacular but it was fun I liked it.

But season 2 is next level. The second half of the season in particular you just can't take your eyes off it. Angel made such a damn good villain. Angel I know goes on to better things and becomes a much better character, but in these early times of the show I feel he made a much better more compelling villain than he did as a character prior.

The show has some really good punches to the gut already. Jenny's death was done so perfectly. The way Angel had put all the flowers and set up for Giles to see. Giles is going up the stairs smiling so happy only to then see the body. It was heartbreaking and really showed how sadistic Angel was.

And the season 2 finale? Goddamn. The spell giving Angel his soul back right at the end and Buffy knows she has to kill him to save the world. "Close your eyes". Just perfect.

Shout out to Haloween as one of my favourite episodes so far. Simple premise everyone turns in to what they're dressed as but man it was so well done.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Rewatched last year and it was awesome
Aged much better than I expected it would

But angel is still better xD

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Angel gets better, but Hush and The Body beat anythin in Angel

KGAjHvr.gif

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I watch Buffy/Angel all the time. I'm on season 6 of Buffy right now, and it's a lot better than I remember. 2nd season is real good, my 2nd favorite season. You're coming up on the best season of the show. Season 3 is amazing, every episode is a banger

Remember these words

Band Candy

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I should revisit it (and Angel) at some point, it's been ages since I ran through the series.

Are both available in HD at this point? I have all the DVDs but they didn't look great even when they released.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Oct 27, 2017
Rewatching both right now. Currently on Season seven and four respectively. Angel is the better show overall though, but Buffy will always be some of the finest television ever made. And wow, actual monsters in these shows! Not just monsters disguised as humans like in Supernatural! I (used to) love Supernatural, but man that always bugged the shit out of me.

The Body is a devastating episode, but what happens to Fred in Angel season 5, I'd put right up there. And as far as Hush goes, as it is one of the best episodes of anything ever, I'd say Smiletime is just as memorable.
smiletime-1.gif

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Try to find one of those viewing orders... some episodes have some interesting crossovers

I can give you that.... but angel is more evenly good

The season with buffy on campus was weeeeeeeeeird overall and that is the season with Hush
4th season kinda went belly up when an actor left and they had to change plans

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I've been doing a LTTP watch and I don't think I've ever seen a TV character I dislike more than Angel and I'm very much enjoying not seeing him in Season 4.

Now that I think about it, I shouldn't be posting in this thread cause spoilers but too late

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched Buffy for the first time last year! I had seen some of the early seasons before, but this was the first time I actually watched the entire series all the way through. I was trying to follow a watch order for Buffy and Angel, but i ended up dropping Angel for the time being.

what a great show though. Loved every episode, for the most part lol. Really want to start the comics that continue the storyof the show, but Dark Horse sold the rights to Boom! and the books are OOP now :(

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I've been doing a LTTP watch and I don't think I've ever seen a TV character I dislike more than Angel and I'm very much enjoying not seeing him in Season 4.

Now that I think about it, I shouldn't be posting in this thread cause spoilers but too late
I enjoy Angel on Buffy, but he doesn't really come into his own until his spinoff. I'd recommend it

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
When is the sequel/reboot coming out?

The "reboot" (the idea of which was met with poor reaction overall until the showrunner came out and implied it could be a continuation with a new slayer) was in the works prior to the Disney acquisition of Fox and I don't believe there has been any news since.

Disney owns Buffy and Angel now so anything could happen at this point.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
HD remasters exist but they are actively worse than the original versions

I still can't believe how absolutely terrible this remaster is and how well the terrible Charmed series has been treated as bloody royalty. Such a terrible situation this :(
Side note: This guy his discussions about the different episodes are so good, really insightful as well in a lot of cases.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
My partner and I recently finished a run through both Buffy & Angel, following an episode guide to keep events chronological. It was her first run-through and she loved it, though we both winced at the size of OG tv episode runs (22/season). I want to get her to watch SG-1 but it'll have to wait till we both have the energy to dive into that series.

also, killer intro theme.The partner has been on a Murder She-Wrote kick lately and I looked up this metal cover of the intro and it sounded like it could be from Buffy.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
introduced my girlfriend to the show last year and we've been making our way through buffy + angel (which I haven't even seen) and it's been great. reminded me why I love this show so much.

i agree with OP on season 1. people shit on it and call it bad, but upon revisiting it I think it became one of my favorite seasons

angel has been great too. seeing wesley grow from the big doof he was in buffy into a hardened monster hunter has been excellent

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
introduced my girlfriend to the show last year and we've been making our way through buffy + angel (which I haven't even seen) and it's been great. reminded me why I love this show so much.

i agree with OP on season 1. people shit on it and call it bad, but upon revisiting it I think it became one of my favorite seasons

angel has been great too. seeing wesley grow from the big doof he was in buffy into a hardened monster hunter has been excellent
Wesley, Willow, and Cordelia have the best arcs in either series. Spike and Fred to a lesser extent

Oh, and Faith too

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Are you referring to Seth Green?
I was gonna guess the actress that played Professor Walsh?
Yeah, Professor Walsh. They were setting her up as the big bad, not Adam, but the actress wanted to leave so they wrote her out. Problem was they couldn't drop the plot line entirely.

Considering that what we got wasn't so bad. Restless is full of foreshadowing for the rest of the series

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Professor Walsh. They were setting her up as the big bad, not Adam, but the actress wanted to leave so they wrote her out. Problem was they couldn't drop the plot line entirely.

Considering that what we got wasn't so bad. Restless is full of foreshadowing for the rest of the series
Aha, I thought so. Season 4's overarching story definitely left a lot to be desired, but as you said, what we got wasn't that bad. And for the weaknesses of its serial plot, several of the stand alone episodes in season 4 are among the best in the entire show imo. It's also probably the funniest season.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Aha, I thought so. Season 4's overarching story definitely left a lot to be desired, but as you said, what we got wasn't that bad. And for the weaknesses of its serial plot, several of the stand alone episodes in season 4 are among the best in the entire show imo. It's also probably the funniest season.
Yeah, exactly! Agree with everything you said

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017

whoa. first i'd heard that. makes sense though!

Darkwing-Buck

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
So many great moments in both these shows.

One of them I'll always look back fondly was the season finale of Angel S2.

It's where they meet and bring back Fred after a fantasy adventure. Everyone is in high spirits and the episode ends with a cold ending with Willow at the hotel telling Angel of some news about buffy.

God, the character moments were so good.

Oct 27, 2017
I always look forward to watching the Thanksgiving episode.
"Can we come rocketing back to me and my new syphullus?"