• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
After a long hiatus (about 3 years), my roommate (and friend) and I started up playing Diablo III again today. We actually did a fresh restart, deleting our old characters we were using for our co-op games together as we had been doing this back since the PS3 before Reaper of Souls.

Brought back a lot of fond memories and fun. I played a Necromancer for the first time, as well as starting one up on my main account, also (for single player playthrough).

Diablo III is one of those games my friend and I have agreed that no matter how many times you go through it, you can't tire of it, at least not permanently. It's something we've always come back to eventually. We even enjoy going through the campaign, where I know many feel the true game lies in Adventure mode. And where we certainly have run our share of Bounties and Rifts, we also just enjoy going through campaign mode, as well. And as said above, we did a completely fresh restart today, deleting our previous save files as we didn't even want Paragon levels included.

I really do enjoy the added (post-game?) addition of Reaper of Souls is the Paragon levels. More optimization and customization for your character. I think the highest we've ever gotten was 400 levels. Although one issue I have with the Paragon levels is not being able to start with a fresh (weak) character and take them through the campaign again.

One thing my roommate and I noticed tonight when he created a Wizard for his main account, his Defense was 205 when starting out, with no armor on. He also has 205 Paragon levels. So I'm guessing there is no coincidence there on those numbers. He didn't spend any Paragon points, but it's a shame you can't just have a normal character to build up again (without Paragon power).

But besides that, I find the game still keeps bringing us back at least every few years. Hopefully Diablo IV is just as addicting, and especially hopefully it has couch co-op again. Look forward to the many hours again playing with my roommate. Will be quite disappointing if they only go the more current traditional multi-player route for Diablo IV.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
will never forget. I bought this when I got let go at a job for $20. I always wanted to try it on xbox. I matched up with someone who was like modding or boosting or w/e and he got me all the way up like 30 levels. i was like jeez this is awful.

jdmc13

Mar 14, 2019
I think that's why I was disappointed with what I've seen of Diablo IV. It looks too much like Diablo 2. Yeah, Diablo 3 wasn't great when it came out, but with RoS and the later seasons, it was something special. They should be building on that; not trying to recreate a game that others have already done presumably better than Blizzard can, like Path of Exile.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For Paragon level don't you have to assign the points you use to unlock the things? Meaning you could start a new character, and not choose any of the paragon traits - and essentially still feel like it's a new character.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I've played Diablo 3 on PC, PS4 but never got far with it. It's a fun mindless game, Switch seems like it would be right at home for me. I've been considering getting it on there for some time and I feel like this thread is giving a sign lol...

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
For Paragon level don't you have to assign the points you use to unlock the things? Meaning you could start a new character, and not choose any of the paragon traits - and essentially still feel like it's a new character.

But that's what I was getting at, my roommate didn't spend any Paragon points, but yet his defense was already at 205 without any armor equipped. Which ironically is the same level of his Paragon level (205). I am sure that isn't a coincidence.

So that unfortunately isn't something you can stop or not allocate, the (Paragon) levels are apparently just applied.

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017
Glad you enjoyed it OP. I actually enjoyed Diablo 3 much closer to release than what it eventually became. Was surely something playing this game year 1 and shortly after.

Design wise, I'm of the mind that rares should have the potential to be easily the best items in the game, while set and unique items should allow you to do, well something unique. I also hate the idea of infinite scaling. It makes gear, leveling, damn near just about everything in a game feel meaningless IMO. Having a carefully thought out gear progression and an endpoint where things no longer get stronger is amazing, once you finally hit that threshold of, like yes, now I'm OP as hell and can kill everything was so satisfying. Then, (if you're doing it right) a ladder reset should be coming shortly thereafter.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
But that's what I was getting at, my roommate didn't spend any Paragon points, but yet his defense was already at 205 without any armor equipped. Which ironically is the same level of his Paragon level (205). I am sure that isn't a coincidence.

So that unfortunately isn't something you can stop or not allocate, the (Paragon) levels are apparently just applied.
This is why seasons exist. If you want a fresh start you create a seasonal character.

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
...give Grim Dawn a shot.

I started down a Diablo III replay recently, but it didn't scratch the itch. Grim Dawn has surprised me. That game does a good job at making you feel like a total badass.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
How's the PS4 version?

It's really fun on console. The controller feels so good. Almost flawless. Two complaints:

-Inventory management kinda sucks in couch co-op sometimes.
-Rampant hacking in public games unless you're playing seasonal.

I prefer it on Switch for the portable, portable Diablo is bliss. But I've put 100s of hours into it on PS4 as well.

Last edited:

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
I've played Diablo 3 on PC, PS4 but never got far with it. It's a fun mindless game, Switch seems like it would be right at home for me. I've been considering getting it on there for some time and I feel like this thread is giving a sign lol...
It's great on Switch. Easy to pick up and play a few rounds co-op and put it to sleep. Love it!
Note I've only played it as portable. It looks good on the small screen.

Last edited:

AusGeno

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just echoing some comments, I've played D3 on PC, PS4 and Switch and the Switch version is by far my favourite, it plays so well as a portable title and it's a great port too.

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
This is why seasons exist. If you want a fresh start you create a seasonal character.

And I have created seasonal characters, but would like to create a character I can keep permanently. Just would be nice if you can start a character that isn't linked to Paragon levels or previous upgrades (like vault/gem/mystic levels). Where you can start fresh, and doesn't go away at the end of period of time (like a season).

But again, it's a relatively minor issue and doesn't keep me from playing. Finding it just as addicting as before.

Oct 30, 2017
I went through a phase where I was heavily in love with D3. Fell away from it on PS4 after tiring of grinding through the campaign season after season. But this makes me interested in going back. Has Blizzard made any mention of when seasons would be ending?

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
I also hate the idea of infinite scaling. It makes gear, leveling, damn near just about everything in a game feel meaningless IMO. Having a carefully thought out gear progression and an endpoint where things no longer get stronger is amazing, once you finally hit that threshold of, like yes, now I'm OP as hell and can kill everything was so satisfying. Then, (if you're doing it right) a ladder reset should be coming shortly thereafter.
I hate infinite scaling because it also messes up the early game difficulty. Did a playthrough with my wife, who doesn't game, earlier this year and it was just so easy without any challenge that even she started to get bored. Ended up setting up a game with a guy from reddit just so I could unlock some of Torment levels and give us a bit of challenge.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
One thing my roommate and I noticed tonight when he created a Wizard for his main account, his Defense was 205 when starting out, with no armor on. He also has 205 Paragon levels. So I'm guessing there is no coincidence there on those numbers. He didn't spend any Paragon points, but it's a shame you can't just have a normal character to build up again (without Paragon power).

That stuff really quite bothers me.

I've played a lot of D3 and burned out hard at some point. However, I still like going back to it for a week or so occasionally, and actually want to enjoy fresh characters. Like, taking a monk with nothing and just seeing how leveling to 70 like that feels and then see how it goes from there. Eventually, I'll get tired of that but then I'd maybe like to do the same with another character... except that, I already played that monk and have 300 paragon levels. And unlocked all the blacksmith and other NPCs' levels. Oh, and I have a lot of gold and other resources. Well, too bad, you can't get rid of those (since said Monk was already the first new character of the season). At that point, my only choice is going hardcore for one completely fresh character, but I might not want to play hardcore (though I usually end up doing that).

I could also try to ignore my resources, but eh, that gets difficult with gold and crafting mats. Especially since getting better weapon upgrades when leveling to 70 is kinda busted. You can go an eternity without a decent weapon drop, which is so much more important than anything else. So, you're actually kinda forced to craft those. It's not a big deal but does kinda annoy me, lol. I just prefer "fresh" character runs over going from paragon 1000 to paragon 2500. But your only real reset option is limited to one character per season, or two when including hardcore.

Gameplay is seriously just pretty damn fun still and since there are actually a decent amount of changes, playing every 2-3 seasons for a bit ain't too bad.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Diablo 3, but once you get the best set for the season which doesnt take long at all it gets super boring.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
Weirdly enough, I loved it at launch and have since grown to dislike it immensely. It's an endless grind with no real payoff other than gear which will help me endlessly grind more.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Love this game and can't wait to go back to playing it on the XSX. I started a new game file on the PS4 but just feel like playing more on the Xbox when I get my hands on it. Can't wait for the new one.

PugSith

Mar 8, 2018
Bought it on PC, Ps4 and switch and leveled two or three chars on each platform and will probably play some on XSX. Male WD and Female Wizard are my mains but Crusader is a lot of fun.

Sad we won't get any more expansions but bring on Diablo 4 !!

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, amazing game, pretty excited for Diablo IV. I played D3 on PC initially then moved onto PS4 Pro where I found I actually like playing the game with a controller from the couch much more than at a computer desk with M/KB.

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I went ahead and deleted my save file today on my main account. Unlike my co-op account, I only had a couple of characters and only 54 Paragon levels. So I really didn't lose a lot. Started up with a non-Seasonal Necromancer who is now 6th level.

Having fun needing to do everything from scratch again instead of starting with 3,000,000+ gold and a plethora of gems.

Since season 21 is almost over, I will probably wait on starting up a new character until 22 begins.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I hate infinite scaling because it also messes up the early game difficulty. Did a playthrough with my wife, who doesn't game, earlier this year and it was just so easy without any challenge that even she started to get bored. Ended up setting up a game with a guy from reddit just so I could unlock some of Torment levels and give us a bit of challenge.

The main problem with the game in 2020 is that the game really starts at level 70, so the trek from level 1 to 70 is just slow and tedious by design since they drip feed you your abilities as you level up. Once you hit level 70 you actually start getting gear you can use long term and can start working towards a build of some sort. People new to the game often don't realize this and often just decide the game is both too easy and really boring long before they hit 70.

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
The main problem with the game in 2020 is that the game really starts at level 70, so the trek from level 1 to 70 is just slow and tedious by design since they drip feed you your abilities as you level up. Once you hit level 70 you actually start getting gear you can use long term and can start working towards a build of some sort. People new to the game often don't realize this and often just decide the game is both too easy and really boring long before they hit 70.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I enjoy the 1-70 levels. I enjoy the part of building up my blacksmith/mystic/jeweler, increasing my stash, and not starting out with 'x' Paragon levels.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed running the bounties and doing the rift runs as well, and for many, many hours. But they did get to be monotonous after awhile. If I take a long break from Diablo III, the game starts at the true beginning, which I'm doing again now, not starting with millions of gold and dozens of high end gems where I can just jump into rifts and bounties.

Again, I know I'm the minority in that regards, but I enjoy all levels of the game.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I know I'm in the minority here, but I enjoy the 1-70 levels. I enjoy the part of building up my blacksmith/mystic/jeweler, increasing my stash, and not starting out with 'x' Paragon levels.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed running the bounties and doing the rift runs as well, and for many, many hours. But they did get to be monotonous after awhile. If I take a long break from Diablo III, the game starts at the true beginning, which I'm doing again now, not starting with millions of gold and dozens of high end gems where I can just jump into rifts and bounties.

Again, I know I'm the minority in that regards, but I enjoy all levels of the game.

The main problem with it is that they intentionally make the 1-70 trek not matter at all. No drop you get from it lasts longer then a couple drops of the same type at level 70. As soon as you hit 70 you basically trash your whole inventory over the course of 20 minutes and start over from scratch. Hell they give you a complete gear set that makes everything you found before it pointless very early after hitting 70 by completing chapters of the season journey. The story is terrible, so most people play adventure mode which means 1-70 each season is just doing the same things you would do at 70 except extremely inefficiently and with no real reward for doing so. The pay off for leveling should be for new people, but you always end up hearing about the game being too easy and people tell them just to wait until they hit level 70 for when the game really starts. Leveling to 70 at this point just seems like a shitty hold over from before they completely revamped the game over the years.

OP
OP
Hobbun

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
The main problem with it is that they intentionally make the 1-70 trek not matter at all. No drop you get from it lasts longer then a couple drops of the same type at level 70. As soon as you hit 70 you basically trash your whole inventory over the course of 20 minutes and start over from scratch. Hell they give you a complete gear set that makes everything you found before it pointless very early after hitting 70 by completing chapters of the season journey. The story is terrible, so most people play adventure mode which means 1-70 each season is just doing the same things you would do at 70 except extremely inefficiently and with no real reward for doing so. The pay off for leveling should be for new people, but you always end up hearing about the game being too easy and people tell them just to wait until they hit level 70 for when the game really starts. Leveling to 70 at this point just seems like a shitty hold over from before they completely revamped the game over the years.

Eh, I guess.

For me the game is still addicting 1-70, and I don't care much about the story, anyways. I think the real reason I enjoy the 1-70 (with a fresh character) is you need to build everything up. Which I know I've already brought that up more than once.

But there is nothing more unfun than starting with a 1st level character and having 3+ mil gold, max stash, max merchants and 25 Royal gems to attach to that equipment. For many, they like that as it gets them moving faster to get to 70 to tack on more Paragon levels and run those higher GRs.

And I do enjoy the same. Building up my Paragon levels, doing bounties and running those GRs. However, I am just fine having to go through it all again sometimes.