• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
So recently I've been digging out my good ol' N64 to replay some old games and to play some others for the first time that I've never played before. I recently borrowed a friend's copy of Rayman 2: The Great Escape (shout out to You Pay This Much!) to play it properly for the first time and enjoyed it for what it was. I made my first ever LTTP thread on Rayman 2 in the old forum, and now I'm making my first ever RTTP thread on DKR.

latest

Recently watching a playthrough of the game on YouTube inspired me to revisit this game. The last time I played this game was about 4 years ago and I remember beating Wizpig and getting to the last space world, but for some reason I never beat the game. I'm not exactly sure why. Maybe the last world was too hard for me? Maybe I got distracted by other things? I dunno. But after coming back to the game, I still found it just as fun as ever, and I think it may possibly be the best kart racer on the N64.

If you're used to playing Mario Kart 64, the driving mechanics might be a bit tough to get used to at first. It's a bit different from Mario Kart. Not necessarily better or worse. Just different. And unlike MK64, DKR has an actual single player adventure mode. MK64 only has a traditional Grand Prix single player. MK64's single player is still fun, mind you. But there's nothing more to it than that. Sadly Nintendo didn't follow DKR's idea of having the single player be a whole adventure with its own story and all the Mario Karts still just only have a basic GP mode even today. For shame, Nintendo.

latest

dkr-hub-world.jpg

39705-Diddy_Kong_Racing_(USA)_(En,Fr)-2.jpg

39705-Diddy_Kong_Racing_(USA)_(En,Fr)-4.jpg

The story takes place on Timber Island with its own central hub area that players can explore. I'm not even sure what the story is. There's an evil pig from space called Wizpig that wants to destroy or take over the island and you need to stop him by......racing him. I guess that's basically it? The story is obviously just an excuse to give players a reason to have an adventure mode, and there's nothing really wrong with that. Cartoony Nintendo kart racers don't exactly need some deep story, and the game clearly tries to focus more on the gameplay side of things.

The island is divided into five worlds. There's Dino Domain which is a prehistoric desert world. Snowflake Mountain is your typical snow world. Sherbet Island is a sandy beach world with a pirate theme. Dragon Forest is a medieval foresty world. And then finally, the bonus world after you beat Wizpig the first time is Future Fun Land which is set in space. After that, you have to beat Wizpig the second time to defeat him once and for all.

Each world isn't just a generic Grand Prix race type thing. There's actually a bunch of challenges and stuff you need to do in each world. First, you start off by racing in all the tracks of the world and try to win normally. After that, you have to race against the world's boss. Yes, this game has bosses. How cool is that? After you beat the boss, you'll need to race through all the tracks again. Except this time you'll need to collect all the silver coins scattered around the tracks and win the races at the same time which makes things considerably harder. After that, you'll need to race against the boss a second time. Only this time they're way more tough to beat. There's also a trophy race challenge in each world that is basically just your basic Grand Prix race that works like Mario Kart. You don't have to get in first place in all the races, but you do need to have enough points to get in first place in the end.

Each world also has its own unique competitive minigame challenge where you play against 4 random bots. Each challenge is hidden behind a locked door and the key to the door is always hidden in one of the world's tracks. Once you find it, the door is opened and you can play the minigame. I'll try not to go into too much detail about these minigames, but I'll just do a quick rundown of what they are. The prehistoric world's minigame is fairly unique. Basically each player has their own nest and the players need to pick up eggs that spawn in the middle of the map and bring it to their own nest. You also need to wait until your eggs hatch once you drop it in your nest. Whichever player has three hatched eggs in their nest wins. Players can also steal each other's eggs from their nests before they can hatch, so this game isn't exactly easy to win. The snow world's and beach world's minigames are basically the same concept. They're just regular deathmatches where the last player standing wins except they're both in different settings. Kind of like Mario Kart's battle mode. The medieval world's minigame is similar in concept to the prehistoric world's minigame except it's way easier to win. Each player has their own treasure chest and they need to collect bananas that are scattered around the map and stash it in their chest. Whoever stashes as many bananas as needed to win first wins the game. Strangely enough, the space world didn't have its own minigame. I'm not exactly sure why that is, but I think it definitely could've (and probably should've) had one.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that unlike Mario Kart, you don't just control regular karts. There are also planes and hovercrafts as well. Granted, the controls of the plane and hovercraft take some getting used to at first. The hovercraft controls are especially floaty and can be hard to control at first, but once you get used to them, they're not that bad.

hqdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Overall, I didn't have too much trouble with the game surprisingly. When I played through it properly for the first time four years ago, I remember the game being very hard. Although I guess the difference this time is that I'm more familiar with the game than I was back then. I did watch a whole playthrough of the game like I mentioned earlier and I occasionally play multiplayer with my friend when I come over. To be fair though, I did use what I call the "green boosts". Basically when you let go of the accelerator right before you hit a boost, you get an extra green colored boost that really tends to help in races. I guess this is why Wizpig wasn't as hard this time for me despite being a notoriously hard boss. Maybe I should refrain from using the green boosts next time I play the game......

I'll say the one part of the game that really was pretty hard and was very frustrating was this boss in particular:

maxresdefault.jpg

Fuck this boss. This was the boss from the beach world, and the second time you race him was especially bitchy. While it was frustrating and hard, it was still fun, but this was probably the boss that took me the longest to beat, even when using those green boosts. The silver coin challenges in the medieval and space worlds could also be pretty hard at times. Especially in the level Spaceport Alpha. That one took me awhile too.

This game is very fun, even if it could be a bit hard and frustrating at times. I did use the green boosts which made the game a lot easier, so for any future newcomers to the game, don't go into this expecting it to be easy. It's actually a very challenging game. It's just that I'm not new to the game and know the maps fairly well and I'm used to the mechanics of all the different vehicles. Apparently there's also a second adventure mode where all the tracks are backwards, but I didn't do it. Maybe I'll return to it at some point and do it, but at the moment, I'm just finished with the core game. For those of you who haven't played the game yet, I definitely recommend checking it out.

Also, how could I forget about the soundtrack?! Music is always one of the strongest points in a Rare game, and DKR is no exception. Composed by the amazing David Wise, the OST is definitely one of the stronger points of the game. Normally I would provide links to some great tracks, but I don't want to drag this post out any longer. I'll just let you guys handle the job for me. :)

Overall, it's a really great game and possibly even the best kart racer on the N64. I definitely had fun playing through the game again and had fun making this thread. And hopefully you guys enjoy reading this long wall of text (sorry! There was just a lot to say :p). Post your opinions and impressions of the game. Let the DKR love (Or hate. I guess it depends.) commence!

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
The best kart racer of all-time.

This was the first N64 game I got, and it was the only one I had outside of rentals for about 8 months. I played the Hell out of it alone and with friends, and absolutely adored it. It was definitely better than Mario Kart 64.

Too bad Donkey Kong Racing got cancelled. That one hit me hard.

I was stuck at the final boss for quite some time, because I didn't know about tapping the gas button to get extra speed boosts being required to beat him. Or that the technique existed.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not possibly. It is.

One minor thing that I love about the game is the short but sweet voice bits. "I'm Diddy. Hoo-ha!" "I'm Banjo! Whooaaa!!!" I played as Diddy all the time and I just loved hearing that.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I never played Crash Team Racing and am very regretful over that.

The latest Mario Karts have been good, but they haven't hooked me like DKR did. Not even close. Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing was up there for me, perhaps even above Mario Kart 7/8.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the only kart racer on a Nintendo system that outdoes that system's MK title. With that said, out of all the MK's, I think MK 64 aged the worst.

Roddslayer

Oct 27, 2017
I so adored the adventure / story mode. It had tight controls, great graphics, and some unique vehicles.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Possibly the best N64 racer? Possibly?

There's no question about it. Mario Kart 64 was amazing at the time but has aged terribly. Diddy Kong Racing introduced all kinds of amazing things we've barely seen since in the genre like a hub world, three different types of locomotion/racing and such a satisfying single player progression. It was miles ahead of Mario Kart 64.

Bonus link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQXT1LoBOII

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like such a revision some people tend to make about a game having played another much more and getting tired of it or something.

Like people who always have to remind everyone how final fantasy 7 somehow isn't the best one. MK64 in my opinion was the best kart racing for years and it was the one everyone was playing and enjoyed, this isn't a bad game but not better.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Not like it is a bad opinion or anything.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
I love Mario Kart 64, but Diddy Kong Racing is the better game. The controls are great, I love the level design and the powerups, fantastic music, and overall it just feels like an adventure.

Oct 25, 2017
Still have nightmares of 1 specific race. It was when you had to collect all the coins AND come in first. That was asking a lot from a kid.

Game was ahead of its time though. Like a full adventure mode and bosses. And you could choose what vehicle you wanted on some races too. You could mix and match I think. What an awesome game. Would rebuy a switch if an updated version came out.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My first and most beloved n64 game. Very expensive in Brazil. Ah the graphics... Rly mind blow. Was hard only if you don't use green turbo. Do you believe I beat the game using Crunch? Of course first using Timber, but most late Crunch. By far the worst racing char in history. At last Crunch is good using hovercraft. The most hard Boss is Wizpig phase one.
And Silver Coin are really really hard in adventure two.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The one place Diddy Kong Racing fell short of Mario Kart 64 was the items / weapon system. The 'save your item to power it up' idea was good but the items themselves were generic and lame. But in everything else it wildly outpaced Mario Kart 64, which I believe is the weakest of the 8 games in that series.

Hazelhurst

Oct 25, 2017
I got this game when it originally came out. I still have it. It's technically superior to Mario Kart.

One of my favorite games for the n64.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
The bosses in this game drove me to rage, but my god did I love it.

I would say it's definitely the best kart racer on the N64. It probably deserves consideration for the best kart racer of all time.

LunarEmerald

Oct 27, 2017
I always felt Diddy Kong Racing had the better single player and Mario Kart 64 had the better multiplayer.

I'd say one of the coolest things is that you can have a race with different vehicles. One person could use the plane and the other could use a kart. You aren't forced to use the same one.

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's the only kart racer on a Nintendo system that outdoes that system's MK title. With that said, out of all the MK's, I think MK 64 aged the worst.

IDK, replaying SNES MK is a challenge. At least in 3d MK64 gives you a little better depth .

Donkey Kong racer is one of the best. Still think double dash is my favorite Kary racer of all time

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Seems like such a revision some people tend to make about a game having played another much more and getting tired of it or something.

Like people who always have to remind everyone how final fantasy 7 somehow isn't the best one. MK64 in my opinion was the best kart racing for years and it was the one everyone was playing and enjoyed, this isn't a bad game but not better.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Not like it is a bad opinion or anything.
What revision? Everyone I know preferred DKR and iirc it had better review scores upon release.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Diddy Kong Racing has an interesting optimization that causes some unwanted side effects, particularly in singleplayer. All NPC movement off camera is approximated. This means that your items/weapons are useless against NPCs that are behind you, and it also means that environmental hazards don't affect NPCs. In one level, there's a bell you can ding to raise a bridge behind you. NPCs are not affected by this. Because you can't see them, they just move across the bridge.

However, DKR doesn't have rubber banding, and it's overall a fairly well put together game from a technical viewpoint.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely the best kart racer on the Nintendo 64, I think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe surpasses it though, also CTR comes close as well IMO.

H.I.V.E.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely the best kart racer on the Nintendo 64, I think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe surpasses it though, also CTR comes close as well IMO.

You think MK8D surpasses it? Lol sorry but it almost sounds controversial, of course MK8D is a better game I can't see anyone disagree with that.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's definitely the best kart racer on N64.

I think time has sort of forgotten DKR. I feel like many don't know or forget just how big of a game this was for Nintendo twenty years ago. It was Nintendo's big holiday title in 97. They should make a new one.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DKR is ok. I think it is definitely better than MK64, but MK64 is the worst mario kart by a country mile so that's not an amazing bar to clear imo.

CTR was the best kart racer that gen, and overall that's the worst gen for the genre.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
DKR is ok. I think it is definitely better than MK64, but MK64 is the worst mario kart by a country mile so that's not an amazing bar to clear imo.

CTR was the best kart racer that gen, and overall that's the worst gen for the genre.

CTR is fantastic, but I think that Super Mario Kart is the worst Mario Kart - I just can't bring myself to go back to it.
Loved it growing up, though.

The4WuDu

Oct 27, 2017
I remember playing this on a demo pod at a local game store, and mentioning to a mate later on that I had just seen the future of racing games hah.

The combination of the graphics, amazing environments - driving through the dinosaur skeleton for the first time - and the different variations of vehicles - I was completely blown away by it at the time.

Oct 27, 2017
Godamn DKR was so damn good. The adventure mode was so much fun and that soundtrack holy shit.

I have to admit some of those boss races towards the end made me use the full range of swearing that my 6th-7th grade vocabulary could muster at the time.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I loved the cheating bosses, like it was frustrating but actually kind of a novel way to give the villains personality and get you invested in winning. Wizpig was impossible.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 64 was better in multi player, but DKR was much better in single player (and co-op - remember the jointventure cheat), so I'd agree it was as good as kart racing got. It's damned hard though, be prepared for a challenge.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
http:///drnc.png

Masterful soundtrack with so much dynamic audio you can't help but wonder how just one man was able to pull all of that off.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
CTR is fantastic, but I think that Super Mario Kart is the worst Mario Kart - I just can't bring myself to go back to it.
Loved it growing up, though.
MK64 runs like garbage, and always did. SMK runs fantastically.. It's really hard to overlook the performance on MK64, never enjoyed it that much even as a teenager when it was new for that reason.

OP
OP
daTRUballin

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
MK64 runs like garbage, and always did. SMK runs fantastically.. It's really hard to overlook the performance on MK64, never enjoyed it that much even as a teenager when it was new for that reason.

I dunno. As someone who didn't grow up with SMK, my friend and I tried playing it for the first time on an emulator earlier this year and boy was it not a pretty experience lol. Granted, it was on an emulator, but still.....

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017

It's been a while since I last played Mario Kart 64, but I don't doubt that it runs like garbage. I just have more nostalgia for 64 than I do for SMK, so it wins out for me.
They're both still at the bottom of the list of Mario Kart games for me, though.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
The story mode, boss races, music. The game was magnificent. I was beyond excited for that reason for Donkey Kong Racing on the cube, but we all know what happened next.

If we could somehow get even just a HD rerelease of the game that would be great.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
This brought back so many memories. I can't count the number of hours I would spend trying to master and collect everything in this games. Definitely one of the best kart racers out there.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
I had way more fun in MK64's multiplayer back then, but DKR's solo mode was pretty great (only a bit too hard in Adventure Two). I still wish Nintendo would put a solo campaign similar to DKR in a future Mario Kart.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think calling 30fps with dips "garbage" is a little hyperbolic. SMK runs at 60fps, but it's not even real 3D. This is why SMK is kinda divisive. It doesn't look or play anything like SMK64.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Back when this first came out on the N64 I remember thinking that the free roaming world was amazing but that the racing in MK64 was tighter. I would love to see Nintendo make a series of free roaming sandbox hub worlds that lead to race courses in the next MK in a kind of adventure game campaign. The enormous success of MK8D on the Switch has surely bought Nintendo a lot of time to work on the next MK sequel.