• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Euron Greyjoy admitted to killing Balon Greyjoy in front of his subjects and they cheered him?

Yeah, but they're like pirates or whatever rules don't apply to them. You know like when Ramsay Snow stabbed his Lord Father right in front of another Lord in the North and no one even batted an eye or did anything because kinslaying is totally not a big deal there.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's almost as if the writers ran out if good material to base their stories on and have been winging it with the help of some broad stroke notes but nothing truly detailed. Almost.

I really don't blame them though. Martin is writing with the terrible speed of a glacier at night during an ice age.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think anyone being honest will disagree with you op. The show is only interested in spectacle which is so far removed from what the story originally was in the first few seasons.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
For me it began after S3 and the no tease of
Lady Stoneheart
Would´ve been such a fucking great endscene (like how S1 and S2 ended) but nope D&D were against it. And since then NO SEASON afterwards had any epic close scene. Like literally none. S1 and S2 were the absolute highlights and the sole reason why I started to read the books. Fuck this show but I´m still thankfull that D&D introduced me to the true world of ASOIF

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
For me it began after S3 and the no tease of
Lady Stoneheart
Would´ve been such a fucking great endscene (like how S1 and S2 ended) but nope D&D were against it. And since then NO SEASON afterwards had any epic close scene. Like literally none. S1 and S2 were the absolute highlights and the sole reason why I started to read the books. Fuck this show but I´m still thankfull that D&D introduced me to the true world of ASOIF

Nah, Stoneheart being cut was the right call. I don't mind that.

Oct 25, 2017
The show is fun and faithful to the source material to a point.

But the books handle things better. I recently read the final two thirds of Feast for the first time and am going to proceed with Dance and it is unreal how much better certain situations are handled when you aren't constrained by a TV show budget and only by your own imagination.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
If you stay true to the source material then no it was not :P

And why was it a right call? Because too much fantasy in a fantasy TV show? ^^

It gave more weight to the red wedding especially since they abandoned or completely altered the Riverlands and northern conspiracy plots.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There are no consequences for the major players anymore. We have seen this also on Jon Snow, somebody will always come to save him...

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
It's been pretty bad since season 5. I still believe however that seasons 1-4 are some of the best television ever created. It's a shame that the second half of the show is like a completely different show.

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
The show should really be at least ten seasons long to properly flesh out then plot and end the show. I seem to remember D&D pushing for just 7 seasons. I'm not sure why they'd take on the show in the first place and think that's okay. The show got too popular, too fast and everyone wanted to cash out. There was an interview with the actor who played Jaime that I read this morning. He said he was frustrated with how the plot skipped over the burning of the sept and the death of Tommen in season 7 without any dialog between Jaime and Cersei. he said "you have to connect these dots as an actor and sometimes make pretty massive leaps." I think all the actors and actresses especially know how bad the writing is.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, Stoneheart being cut was the right call. I don't mind that.

I don't think that was the right call imo , especially since it's implied that the Stoneheart stuff will payoff in WOW and seems to be crucial to Jamie's development as well. Not to mention it might tie in with Jon's resurrection in the books. Which made no sense in the show in how it was executed.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think people are too hard on the lastest seasons. The show had to end a story that in many ways is not meant to be finished (the book never will). So they had to pay the price. Some events had to be rushed and logic needed to be stretched in some points. Of course, thre might be many scenes and plot points that were bad for other reasons, but overall I think they are doing a good job.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I thought 6 and 7 had some fun parts. Season 5 is actual garbage trash and the worst entertainment of any medium on the planet.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Then it all gets ruined by the contrived battle between Bronn with a ballista and Drogon, and the mother of all shit cliffhangers when someone (obviously Bronn) saves Jaime from certain death. It's still all told a good scene, but the ballista adds an unnecessary element of vulnerability to Drogon (who no-one in their right mind could believe would be seriously harmed),

Someone put this really well in a youtube thing, they said that scene specifically plays on Bronn's established competence. That if it was anyone else on the ballista, there would be no credibility, but because it's Bronn (and most viewers don't want him or Drogon to die) it makes it very tense. And that we've seen Bronn basically accomplish every task he's given. Watching it, I was definitely tense.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Well, there are not that many left, let's see how this goes.
I still love how in the span of 20 minutes, John is saved first by his aunt and then soon after by his uncle, and in the process his uncle dies and his aunt loses one of her kids. I'm sorry but the math tells me he isn't worth that level of loss, and that's before factoring in the kid his aunt loses ends up becoming a superweapon for the enemy.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem partly lies in the source material. My impression is that GRRM likes to add interesting things as he goes, but not plan the overall narrative in any detail, so we get lots of cool stuff that there's basically no way to reasonably pay off even in book form. Didn't he at one point want to do a several-year time-skip when Arya got to Braavos but couldn't because it didn't make sense to Cersei to be reigning in King's landing for so long?

Not that DD do a great job winging it themselves, but I think there's no way this monster concludes really satisfactorily either on TV or in the books.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
If you stay true to the source material then no it was not :P

And why was it a right call? Because too much fantasy in a fantasy TV show? ^^
I don't think that was the right call imo , especially since it's implied that the Stoneheart stuff will payoff in WOW and seems to be crucial to Jamie's development as well. Not to mention it might tie in with Jon's resurrection in the books. Which made no sense in the show in how it was executed.

Stoneheart is too big and weird of a thing to have just happen and then do nothing with for like three seasons. Stoneheart appears, briefly, at the end of ASOS. Afterwards, she has zero presence in the books besides off hand rumors. Even with all the books released now, she's only appeared briefly in one other scene. We have no idea how important Stoneheart is or how she ties to the overall narrative. And, we don't even know if GRRM knows that.

So, essentially D&D would be bringing in a major twist of a character that hasn't done anything in the books yet and who GRRM may not even know what he's doing with yet. She had to be cut.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I still love how in the span of 20 minutes, John is saved first by his aunt and then soon after by his uncle, and in the process his uncle dies and his aunt loses one of her kids. I'm sorry but the math tells me he isn't worth that level of loss, and that's before factoring in the kid his aunt loses ends up becoming a superweapon for the enemy.

But he is Azor Ahai, the promissed one! He will save everyone, because he is Jon Snow!

I loved it when Martin played with religion, heroes and so on, or rather made fun about them, cause that's not what this show was really about, but now everything is leading towards Azor Ahai, and i hate it so much, but viewers seem to love it, so wayne.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

None of that matter since TWoW isn't coming out for several years, if ever.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Stoneheart is too big and weird of a thing to have just happen and then do nothing with for like three seasons. Stoneheart appears, briefly, at the end of ASOS. Afterwards, she has zero presence in the books besides off hand rumors. Even with all the books released now, she's only appeared briefly in one other scene. We have no idea how important Stoneheart is or how she ties to the overall narrative. And, we don't even know if GRRM knows that.

So, essentially D&D would be bringing in a major twist of a character that hasn't done anything in the books yet and who GRRM may not even know what he's doing with yet. She had to be cut.
Yeah I've always agreed with the decision to cut Stoneheart. Even more so now because of the poor writing that relies on spectacle and themeless use of magic.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
One of my grips is the effort they went through with the whole Martel arc and the sand snakes, just to get brushed aside like easily.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I just finished a rewatch and at first was like "man I forgot how great this is" and then got to the last few seasons and realized why I forgot.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
reception was bad so writers didn't bother salvaging it and just killed them off and abandoned the storyline
Reception was bad because we were expecting an entire kingdom of Oberyn level badasses, and we all we got was the tv version of this gif:

IgMyx.gif

They wanted us to believe these people were trained by Oberyn?

28iu.gif

Had Oberyn been a joke, expectation would have been kept in check lol.

NjIOZWK.gif

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I don't get why but it seems after the author left the show HBO for some odd ass reason want to REALLY rush the final couple seasons, it makes no sense because it's such a huge show for them and makes them a ton of money so why rush the end of it? They could have easily stayed similar to the time/tone of the first few seasons and stretched the ending into another season or two and built up more things in the past two seasons that they glossed over or ignored by doing so.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'll admit it's been a much different show the last few seasons, however it's a show I still enjoy.

Dumb blockbuster spectacle took over from plotting and political intrigue, but as a dumb blockbuster it's pretty fun to watch.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get why but it seems after the author left the show HBO for some odd ass reason want to REALLY rush the final couple seasons, it makes no sense because it's such a huge show for them and makes them a ton of money so why rush the end of it? They could have easily stayed similar to the time/tone of the first few seasons and stretched the ending into another season or two and built up more things in the past two seasons that they glossed over or ignored by doing so.

George R.R. Martin finished A Dance with Dragons and A Feast for Crows, two books that while exceptionally detailed a full of lore that fans love, were nowhere near as popular as A Storm of Swords (for fans). They had nowhere near as many of those mouth-watering chapters the fans were waiting for the show to adapt, for instance.

The author published his last book in 2011 and promised the readers several more books and that he was working tirelessly on it, but really, it was a way for him to unburden himself of these books he knew that he had lost the desire to finish. The show was a way to congratulate himself while working on other projects and bathing in the accolades of new fans and interviews. Being the author of the series the show is based on has made GRRM so much money. It's hard to blame him. So he does literally everything else including writing gigantic tomes that chronicle other things, criticizing the show, talking about the show in interviews, meanwhile insisting that he has discovered how he's going to outlive most us and work well into his 80s on these massive books.

The showrunners meanwhile fell out of love with the show, too. Once they reached the end of the stuff that was compelling, the stress of creating ever more complicated and expensive set pieces on these locations that the cast and crew seems to hate, and making stories that could either be boring or nonsensical lost its allure. This is why seaso season 7 was a shorter season and after seeing it, everyone wished they were longer with better, more focused writing.

You are correct that Game of Thrones is popular and would remain popular, but Dan and Dave have lost their passion for the show. George couldn't fill in the gaps. Dan and Dave couldn't fill in the gaps.

It's like that moment in a movie when the once young go-getter realizes they're just as bitter as the person who they met at the beginning of the story, and now they know why.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
realized they could not come up with enough good material for all the plots and characters

I mean George has been struggling with the same thing it's why the last two books have been worse than the first 3 and he's only finished 2 books in the series in almost 20 years.

Oct 25, 2017
I've made my peace with a lower quality, rushed ending to the show, but one thing I just really hope I get is a well thought out, coherent, and dare I say heroic conclusion to Jaime's arc. Just give me that, please.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when all of this was from the books people hold in such high regards. Lol

Joke post? Loras doesn't get imprisoned in the books and Margaery gets imprisoned because Cersei frames her for sleeping with a Kettleblack brother. Tommen is like ten years old at this time and therefore is not legally able to rule.

Oct 27, 2017
Joke post? Loras doesn't get imprisoned in the books and Margaery gets imprisoned because Cersei frames her for sleeping with a Kettleblack brother. Tommen is like ten years old at this time and therefore is not legally able to rule.

I wish they'd included the Kettleblack Bros. in the show, and then had them team up with the Sand Snakes.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
The show lost me when a squad of heavily armed, notoriously fearless warrior pirates bailed on their mission when they encountered a half-naked dude with a knife and some dogs.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Are you willing to bet Kevan Lannister will be in attendance? Or even half the people who were in the show.

They basically got Qyburn to play Varys' role from the books and Cersei herself to do the rest.

I could see the Tyrells abandoning the Lannisters, leading to a sack of Highgarden nothing like what you see in the show. They could also just execute Margaery, which would break the alliance and lead to other stuff.

If you assume the show takes every book event George has laid out and constricts it, reinterprets it, or cuts it, we have to assume that the death of House Tyrell and King Tommen will happen gradually, piece by piece.