• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
ss_928408472d23f7c9ab17187953826b9de5c6bb1c.1920x1080.jpg

I've been back playing this game again now, during my vacation, and it again strikes me what an underrated game this is, in the turnbased strategy genre.

Massively underrated even.

I was a backer of this game, and while it did take me a while to shake of the "Hey! This is now how XCOM does it!" feeling, that I think many had during this games release, once you get over it, the game can be a pretty awesome game.

For within the scope of this game, that it had with being a crowfunded game without any major other forms of funding on top of it. they have really crammed in a lot of mechanics that works so well with each other.

3 base classes, and 6 variations of them.
The bloodline mechanics.
Traits and personalities.
The boardgame-eque way of how the cadence attacks, and which attack you chose to defend against.
The relic weapons.
The crucibles and sage wright, and how you balance them against the vanguard.
Different nation bonuses.
Random events.
Etc.

Love the graphic style, the soundtrack, and the eerie feeling it creates on the map.

And the battles are just so damn fun.

Sure, it's not without it flaws.
The random events can be a bit to random.
That buildings and science are the same queue takes some getting used to.
The menu feels a bit cheap, compared to the rest of the game .
And those who have played it much more then me can probably say something about the balance in the game that I don't feel right now.

But still, it's a gem IMHO, and something fans of the genre shouldn't sleep on, with how dirt cheap it often is now (and still worth the base price).

And yes, even if XCOM and XCOM2 are larger in scope, with higher production values, this game still have a solid place in the genre.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Aha, this is actually one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever. I was incredibly hyped for it and... Well, it was just super underwhelming. Real bad final mission too.

OP
OP
Cecil

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Aha, this is actually one of my biggest gaming disappointments ever. I was incredibly hyped for it and... Well, it was just super underwhelming. Real bad final mission too.

Well, it's a difficult final mission, I'll give you that.

I didn't really get the game at first, as a backer first, but after a few campaigns I really started to dig it, when I got used some things that were so very different from other games in the genre I played at the time.

Now I wish I would have followed the campaign more closely, and spent more time on the beta.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's my favorite Xcom game ever (and i hate original Xcom game with aliens) i looove the hyerarchic system, simple but effective combat, funny narrators, and abstract visual.

OP
OP
Cecil

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It's my favorite Xcom game ever (and i hate original Xcom game with aliens) i looove the hyerarchic system, simple but effective combat, funny narrators, and abstract visual.

Yeah, that weird sense of humour from the narrators is awesome.

Love some of the abilities and weapons as well. Like the time fist caber, that clears an enemy at the moment, and sends it to the future. So it can suddenly appear in a battle years forward. :)