• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
With the death of Vinnie Paul, and realizing that most people are not familiar with anything Pantera hasn't released since Cowboys, I think it's time to pay a tribute to both Abbot brothers with a recommendation of their best album (IMO), Power Metal.

It's basically Pantera before they switched their style permanently, and (sadly) disowned anything they made before Cowboys. But it's pretty clear that that was a mistake on their part, because Power Metal is hands down their best album. Phil's vocals are kind of rough around the edges, but they're still good and show off his range before he killed it with heavy drug use. And it's easily Diamond Darrell best guitar work.

I'm too lazy to do a huge write up, but if you like melodic and heavy metal with solid riff writing, flashy (yet not wanky) solos, and quick, aggressive drumming, then you'll like this one. Maybe someday they will re-release it, finally.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Love that album. Totally different but Dime was already a monster on it. Phil's first album with the band and he sounds very Halford.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
I need to check their older stuff out some day. I've heard bits and pieces and liked what I heard.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When going back to oldies I'll always have a fondness for Projects in the Jungle. Dimebag was just always a monster with that thing. Power Metal was good but it didn't stick with me much for some reason.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
When going back to oldies I'll always have a fondness for Projects in the Jungle. Dimebag was just always a monster with that thing. Power Metal was good but it didn't stick with me much for some reason.

I actually kind of enjoy that album as well. It's kind of OK, but forgettable overall. It's more Dokken than Poison, so that's good.

Metal Magic is utter shit though. Just awful.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Power Metal is hands down their best album.
Ain't that the goddamn truth.

Great slab of heavy fuckin' metal right there, in the vein of classic Accept, Priest, etc. I even hear some hints of Queensrÿche (maybe more the debut EP than O:MC) and Metal Church (vocals in Over and Out) in there.

Last edited:

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Power Metal is a great album for sure, but it sounds just like all the other bands who play staunchly Priest-influenced heavy metal. No one else sounded quite like post-Cowboys Pantera at the time, and no bands really have since until Throwdown released Deathless.

I know trad metal fans dislike what Pantera became, but I think Vulgar Display of Power, Far Beyond Driven, and The Great Southern Trendkill left a far greater mark on music than anything the band could have built on a foundation that always echoed Power Metal.

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never heard their old stuff thanks for posting this op. Sounds nothing like their later music but I'm digging it so far.

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Power Metal is a great album for sure, but it sounds just like all the other bands who play staunchly Priest-influenced heavy metal. No one else sounded quite like post-Cowboys Pantera at the time, and no bands really have since until Throwdown released Deathless.

I know trad metal fans dislike what Pantera became, but I think Vulgar Display of Power, Far Beyond Driven, and The Great Southern Trendkill left a far greater mark on music than anything the band could have built on a foundation that always echoed Power Metal.

Yea no shit. I've been looking for a band similar to Pantera for a while, but their magic seems to be one of a kind. Have not listened to Throwdown though. I can't imagine any band coming off like Pantera though. They had a great chemistry.

I'm a big Cowboys/Vulgar fan, but Far Beyond and Trendkill do have some outstanding tracks. Their last album I never bothered with myself but I have at least streamed it here and there. From what I've heard, Power Metal, sounds like a logical step for them to finding their sound and your right, things would not be the same if they continued on that path.

Oct 31, 2017
Power Metal is good. I think it and Cowboys From Hell are their best albums, and I'd almost say that Power Metal is better. Though, as others have already mentioned, Power Metal is more akin to being Judas Priest style of British heavy metal, rather than Pantera having their own 'sound'.

I would have preferred if they'd stayed closer to the sound they had on this album and CFH, than the direction Pantera went in with Vulgar Display of Power on.

I love Phil Anselmo's voice on this.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Yea no shit. I've been looking for a band similar to Pantera for a while, but their magic seems to be one of a kind. Have not listened to Throwdown though. I can't imagine any band coming off like Pantera though. They had a great chemistry.

Throwdown are a hardcore band who slowly evolved into Pantera, recorded a straight-up Pantera album, and then immediately reverted to their roots. I love their hardcore stuff, but Deathless could easily be Pantera's follow up to Reinventing the Steel. In fact, Reinventing the Steel sounds significantly less like classic Pantera than Deathless does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn19aCl_6Bs

Another band that scratches the Pantera itch a little is Pro-Pain, but they don't share that southern groove sound the way Throwdown do on Deathless.

Last edited:

lordxar

Oct 25, 2017
Throwdown are a hardcore band who slowly evolved into Pantera, recorded a straight-up Pantera album, and then immediately reverted to their roots. I love their hardcore stuff, but Deathless could easily be Pantera's follow up to Reinventing the Steel. In fact, Reinventing the Steel sounds significantly less like classic Pantera than Deathless does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn19aCl_6Bs

Another band that scratches the Pantera itch a little is Pro-Pain, but they don't share that southern groove sound the way Throwdown do on Deathless.

There is a resemblance in Throwdown. Hits a lot of metalcore type checkboxes, understandably, but it is pretty damn close though. Pro-Pain is a name I haven't heard in a long minute. Was fortunate enough to see Pantera twice and the second time they were on Far Beyond Driven with Pro-Pain. I liked them, but didn't really dig in too far. May need to revisit them all these years later.

Toxik

Banned
May 22, 2018
Decent enough album, though obviously very dated.

Glad they heard Exhorder and decided to ape their style though, kinda worked out for them too :P

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Also, am I the only one who liked the name Diamond more than Dimebag?

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
That's the only physical Pantera album I own and the only one I own in it's entirety. Otherwise I just sort of pick and choose single songs of their albums that I like, but Power Metal got me.

Great songs with a great sound they've never quite topped for me.