• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome movie. I watched the old green VHS countless times as a kid. Probably my most watched film of all time come to think of it.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I particularly like this depiction of Shredder as a Fagin like figure taking in disillusioned kids and training them as members of the foot.
Oh my god, I never thought of him like that.

Awesome movie. I watched the old green VHS countless times as a kid. Probably my most watched film of all time come to think of it.
Mine was turtle green too! I'm sure I haven't thrown it out so I reckon it's still kicking about somewhere.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Secret of the Ooze is good dumb fun. Not as good as this and a totally different style but it's a fun watch.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
My mind was blown when I found out the pizza delivery guy was the same guy who played Michaelangelo. Can't remember if it was his voice of body performer though.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
My mind was blown when I found out the pizza delivery guy was the same guy who played Michaelangelo. Can't remember if it was his voice of body performer though.

Also the guy in the back of the taxi after Raphael and Casey have their fight is the actor who plays Raphael. He's also the only actor of the four to both voice his character and be in the turtle suit.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Why wasn't I tagged?

Z7ugA4u.gif

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
All of this, the scene where Tatsu beats the shit out of the foot clan members after losing to the Turtles comes across like a drunken abusive father coming home and taking his anger out on his family.
And it was originally written that he kills that guy. They added him breathing in ADR. The movie is just, I don't know, earnest. And if Henson knew how violent it was going to be we'd probably have those abominations from We Wish You A Turtle Christmas instead.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Love this movie so much. I recently bought the NECA set of movie turtles and they are so worth it. The head sculpts on these figures are amazing.

TQ6Ah1j.jpg

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
I have only about 15-16 BD. I dont get anything on physical unless it truly is worth watching multiple times. TMNT is one of those movies.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Fun fact: The Japanese version of this film makes it so that the Turtles aren't Ninja and are from Korea.

WTF? Really? This is just for the movie, right? Could have sworn ninja was used in the cartoon. Other wise they would be the Teenage Mutant Taekwondo Turtles or something.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a director's cut? Even if there isn't I'm fine with the uncensored theatrical cut.
There was an initial cut done by Sally Menke which the studio was so unhappy with they actually fired her for it (she would later go on to edit all of Quentin Tarantino's films).

The director has expressed interest in releasing it (or some version of it).

AbsoluteZero0K

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2019
YEah the movie is great because it largely follows the Volume 1 of the Eastman & Laird run.

Some important changes:

-Hamato Yoshi kills Oroku Nagi while defending Tang Shen's honor. He flees to America instead of facing death, the penalty for killing a fellow member of the Foot Clan. Oroku Saki grows up to take over the Foot at the age of 18 and avenge his brother, killing Yoshi. During the scuffle, that is when Splinter breaks free.

-Splinter trains the Turtles for the explicit purpose of getting revenge for his killed master, Yoshi. In the movie, the turtles saving April is their first mission; in the comics, the Turtles kill the Purple Dragon gang for their first mission.

-Splinter has Ralph deliver a message to the Foot. Open challenge. They take to the streets and the turtles—Leonardo specifically, defeats Shredder.

-It is Leonardo, not Ralphael, who gets ambushed later, and his body is thrown into the apartment that gets burned down, and they escape to Northampton to tend to their wounds.

-The Turtles actually stay exiled in Northampton for TWO YEARS. The movie makes it look like a day or week or two, lol. The "exile" ends with a "City at War" arc when the Turtles return to fight a bunch of shredder clones, Shredder's Elite Guard (who are arguably the most skillful of all), and Shredder's daughter, Karai.

-Casey Jones and April break up, and Casey actually moves across the country and gets another woman pregnant. She dies during childbirth and now- mellow Casey comes back to April with a daughter named Shadow.

The Mirage comics are amazing. I have to thank this guy's blog for getting me into the series, and into comics in general.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I remember reading the comics too before watching the movie and I was secretly hoping for a movie adaptation with the Triceratons, which sadly never happened.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A legitimately good movie. Dark and funny. The fact that the effects are practical has helped it age well. That final fight with shredder is sublime.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The third movie is better than the second because of all the censorship, but the 2nd movie is still ok.

1 > 3 > 2 is the proper order for the original trilogy.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the best comic book films made before the 2000's, for sure.

I can't say it "holds up" because it's corny as fuck, but my god is it charming through and through. You gotta appreciate that they really went for it.

Honestly, the casting is really good even though everyone is virtually a no-name!

The vision of New York in that film will always be my idea of New York (as an Indiana boy)

edit: Also, the second film is fucking terrible.

Can never unsee the guys face in the mouth lol.
LOL i never noticed before!

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Michaelangelo's Nunchaku was heavily censored, same as how the cartoon was renamed Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles here, UK censors were really tough on all ninja related weaponry in the 80's/early 90's.

All restored now though thankfully.
this is a strange phenomenon i never understood as an American that seems incredibly culturally insensitive - although all Western things "Ninja" in the 80's were culturally insensitive.

How did they land on the very concept of "ninjas" being a menace to society? Was it just because every straight-to-VHS violent action film in the 80's had Ninja in the title?

Feb 21, 2019
I would legit be surprised if you didn't enjoy it more as an adult. The themes went right over my head as a kid, of course. But, it is interesting to see it as an adult and get the idea that it is about two fathers and their children. One is an abusive piece of shit father who tells his children the world is this terrible place that only he can shelter them from. The other is the loving, albeit concerned, father who is trying to prepare his children to stand on their own, knowing that some day he will be gone.

I dig it.
You are also forgetting Danny's father. The whole movie is about fathers' caring for their sons.

Also, as an adult, the Raphael and Leo story resonates much more (and especially Raphael as a character).

This scene and this advice is still something I need to hear as a grown ass adult. (And it came from a kids movie of all places, but is perfect in its simplicity....again, a deeper and darker theme than most "comic" or "kids" movies)

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Don't remember if I saw it in a theater but I kind of found the first one a little boring when I was younger (also being a fan of the cartoon, it didn't have enough of it for me) and actually liked Secret of the Ooze more at one point until I got older, also was cool with Ernie Reyes Jr, remembered him from Red Sonja which I watched a lot. The third one which I saw a theater, was pretty shit and the one of the three I haven't seen since it came out on video.

Also didn't realize until a couple years ago that Ya Kid K was a girl.

And it was originally written that he kills that guy. They added him breathing in ADR. The movie is just, I don't know, earnest. And if Henson knew how violent it was going to be we'd probably have those abominations from We Wish You A Turtle Christmas instead.
Naaaah, I'm sure Jim Henson knew and was down for that and wanted to do a lot more than he could, he got the Dark Crystal made but IIRC he felt trapped by what his company's image had become.

EDIT: Actually I guess he did have issues with it but he still agreed.

Last edited:

OsakaDon

Oct 29, 2017
Osaka, Japan
I really really love this movie. It was one of my favorite movies as a kid and as I got older I only loved it more.
The story is so very solid and tight. It is taken very seriously and the performances from everyone including the voice actors is just as good as any serious movie.
The deeper themes of family are also very well done, and there are so many emotional tones and scenes that hit their mark perfectly.

The scene with Raph and Splinter showing him support.
The scene where they come home to discover that splinter is gone, and Raph flips out.
The scene of the turtles around the campfire channeling Splinters spirit.
The scene where Leo finds Raph awake in the bath tub.

They set the tone and build the emotional base for our characters so well from the very start, with simple scenes as well.
Such as how you can feel Raph's frustration when he looses his weapon, or again looses a fight with Casey Jones.
When Don ask Mike if he has thought about what it would be like without Splinter.
Leo tries to console Raph about the lost sai and Raph pushes his arm off his shoulder.
Shredder lies and says, "So, the rat has a name...HAD a name" The fear and panic in Mikes voice when he shouts, "You lie"

The movie is fun and exciting but also sweet and touching. It's takes itself seriously and does not condescend to its audience or treat them like fools.
The movie just hits its mark so well so many times. Much more so than a comic book movie would have needed to and much better than so many movies have done.
Does not get the respect it deserves.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
I basically just wanted to come here and say thank you for making this thread. I love the first movie so much.

Also, I still remember being disappointed in the turtle costumes in the second and third movies. They were perfect - why screw it up? (Don't even want to talk about the Michael Bay abominations)

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rewatched it not too long ago (for the first time in a very, very long time) and was honestly shocked at how well it holds up.

Wipes the floor with the new ones.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I basically just wanted to come here and say thank you for making this thread. I love the first movie so much.

Also, I still remember being disappointed in the turtle costumes in the second and third movies. They were perfect - why screw it up? (Don't even want to talk about the Michael Bay abominations)
If I can say one thing and one thing ONLY good about the new ones, it's that the second film is basically the 1990 cartoon in live action form.

Bebop and Rocksteady were perfect.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
YEah the movie is great because it largely follows the Volume 1 of the Eastman & Laird run.

Some important changes:

-Hamato Yoshi kills Oroku Nagi while defending Tang Shen's honor. He flees to America instead of facing death, the penalty for killing a fellow member of the Foot Clan. Oroku Saki grows up to take over the Foot at the age of 18 and avenge his brother, killing Yoshi. During the scuffle, that is when Splinter breaks free.

-Splinter trains the Turtles for the explicit purpose of getting revenge for his killed master, Yoshi. In the movie, the turtles saving April is their first mission; in the comics, the Turtles kill the Purple Dragon gang for their first mission.

-Splinter has Ralph deliver a message to the Foot. Open challenge. They take to the streets and the turtles—Leonardo specifically, defeats Shredder.

-It is Leonardo, not Ralphael, who gets ambushed later, and his body is thrown into the apartment that gets burned down, and they escape to Northampton to tend to their wounds.

-The Turtles actually stay exiled in Northampton for TWO YEARS. The movie makes it look like a day or week or two, lol. The "exile" ends with a "City at War" arc when the Turtles return to fight a bunch of shredder clones, Shredder's Elite Guard (who are arguably the most skillful of all), and Shredder's daughter, Karai.

-Casey Jones and April break up, and Casey actually moves across the country and gets another woman pregnant. She dies during childbirth and now- mellow Casey comes back to April with a daughter named Shadow.

The Mirage comics are amazing. I have to thank this guy's blog for getting me into the series, and into comics in general.
This is a great post. I love how closely the movie keeps to the original Mirage run. It's such an elegant adaptation, skipping past the cosmic stuff right to the City at War/Return to New York arc and shifting the ICONIC rooftop showdown to the end. The Mirage books immediately go from gritty Miller pastiche to adorably amateurish Kirby-esque interstellar action, it's great stuff but they're like, battling Triceratons and chilling with Fugitoid before the cathartic return showdown with the Foot.

It's not as faithful as the MCU, but the emphasis on father/son themes, more fleshed out personalities borrowed from the animated series, etc. reminds me of the Sam Raimi Spider-Man movies in the best way possible. The 2003 series also did a GREAT job taking elements from the comic and fleshing out the Purple Dragons, Stockman, etc.

It makes me wish they had gone in the direction of a (reasonably toned-down) Utroms/TCRI arc for the sequel, TGRI was pretty damn mundane in comparision. We never got to see the OG movie turtles take on Krang/Utroms, which have become a huge part of the mythos.

Last edited:

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, Shredder has a bottom bitch who unfurls his cape off his shoulders for him before his men roll out the carpet so he can make a grand entrance for the underlings. Modern movie villains ain't got shit on this bad mother fucker.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
The non mutated rat learning Karate in its cage is amazing.

Can you imagine how weird this movie would have been if they had gone with the animated version where Splinter was a mutated human? I hated the whole "lab rat" aspect of the Bay film, they had no reason to be ninjas! The reincarnation origin from the IDW comics is my fave, it's so elegant and adds a ton of texture to the family.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is a strange phenomenon i never understood as an American that seems incredibly culturally insensitive - although all Western things "Ninja" in the 80's were culturally insensitive.

How did they land on the very concept of "ninjas" being a menace to society? Was it just because every straight-to-VHS violent action film in the 80's had Ninja in the title?
The "Video Nasties" (Google if you don't know) we're a lot to do with it. But generally 'Ninja' weapons were seen as weapons of assassination and not defence. So they were deemed inappropriate for kids, as well as Ninja in general being assassins. Unlike a lightsaber which is deadly, you could get real world versions of nunchucks, throwing stars etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Deserves a spot in the top 5 comic book movies easily.

The Blu Ray is beautiful, clearing up a lot of the blurriness and over-dark of the VHS. I was lucky enough to get the anniversary pizza box edition of the first forum movies. To this day, part 3 has never been used.

All this talk about directors cuts and possible theater showings have me interested. Maybe we'll see a 4k edition soon as well.