• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I have this game and really, really wanted to get into it about ten years ago - but I remember the beginning five hours or so completely kicking my ass. I had no idea what to do, was doing literally zero damage, and just felt supremely lost.

I think I'd really love it - but I just don't have the patience for that anymore.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't know how i missed out on this one, i have all the ps1 era square jrpgs... guess it speaks to why it's overlooked even i passed it up

it's kind of my moby dick of games. don't have a psp/ps3 and don't dick around with emulation so fingers crossed it becomes 'modernly' available at some point

BryanFulton

Sep 3, 2018
Meant to play it years ago, never did, sort of forgot about it until seeing this thread. Think I'll get it for Vita.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
And for all the great visuals and cinematics it had, it was a pretty small game in size.
I remember being mind blown when purchasing the game on PSN, it was less than 100MB.
The team made some serious magic there, especially considering most of those MBs were used by music and the CGI intro.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
A masterpiece. This very well may be my favorite game, and I don't really care for RPGs, especially not JRPGs. The only other game that gives it any serious competition for my personal top-spot is Dead Cells.

I have absolutely zero faith in Square being able to pull off a remaster/remake/sequel without completely botching it up. I hope that Square continues to ignore the game existing, and I will continue to ignore Square existing.

Solus

Oct 26, 2017
I'll always have a soft spot for this game. I think I've played through that intro sequence at least two dozen times. In fact I think I might do a replay soon, it's been like almost two decades since I played it. I might use a guide though, if I remember right it's not the easiest game to get into.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Up there in my top ten of favourite games of all time. The visuals are absolutely gorgeous, the style and presentation is unmatched and the gameplay is complex yet incredibly rewarding once you get the hang of it. Some small QoL improvements (like weapon load-outs) and maybe even some extras like visual equipment changes (you craft all those cool armor pieces but you don't see them!) would make it perfect.

Conal

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm definitely too dumb for this game. I dropped it when I stated doing 1 point of damage to bats.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I really want to experience this game since people talk so highly of it, but both times I have tried to play it I have just hit a wall with the gameplay very early on where I have encountered a boss that I have not been able to beat. The game just has so many systems (too many it has seemed to me, but that is obviously just a very early impression) and I never manage to get a good grip on them before the game expects me to start using them with some skill. It`s been a few years since the last time I tried though, so maybe I should give the game another shot.

thezboson

Oct 27, 2017
Music and art style are fantastic. I have restarted the game multiple times and got past the forest, but never finished. Love it all the same.
One day I need to rebuy this and play it on my Vita.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A remake or sequel or spiritual successor should have a tutorial section. There has to be a middle ground between holding your hand and just throwing you into the game without any explanation. Even FFT had an optional tutorial (with the infamous Professor Boredam Daravon).

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
This is probably the game I wanted to get into the most, but just couldn't. Over the years I started it four times. It's such a stylish game and looks great to this day to me because of the artstyle. But boy, the battle system is one of the worst ever made. It's so utterly bad I couldn't go beyond 5 hours whenever I started the game. A remake with a better battle system would be great.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
A RPG that actually had the balls to take itself seriously and keep it tight. A philosophy that´s sorely missing nowadays.