• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
c0PqM7L.jpg
HKqsPjb.jpg

Overview
If you had a Gameboy Advance you probably had or played Advance Wars 1 or 2. Developed by Intelligent Systems, the Nintendo-affiliated developer responsible for it's sister series, Fire Emblem, this game series absolutely ruled. The series got it's start as Famicom Wars, but like Fire Emblem we didn't get any of the original games in the West until the Gameboy Advance. The original Famicom Wars would be extremely familiar to fans of the Gameboy Advance and Nintendo DS series, however features such as Co Powers or building units in captured factories as well as map design not quite up to the snuff of the later games makes the original a bit difficult to adjust to, even if one did find a translation patch.

Ul1q3Aa.png

The Gameboy Advance Games
Replaying the original Advance Wars, it really is amazing how pure and fun this game is. The graphics are honestly some of my favorite seen on a Nintendo Console. The GBA really pumped out some beautiful color. When a unit initiates an attack, we're brought into a quick vignette of the two units hashing it out, with each army, represented by a distinct color distinguished by completely different sprites for each army. Each Army has all the basic units available to them, but the artwork flavor provides a really neat distinction which you really just don't see very often in games from this era.

The gameplay is quite similar to Fire Emblem, but with a few twists that really distinguish the two. Fire Emblem is at it's core a roleplaying game, with unique units and leveling and equipping characters. Advance Wars has nothing of the sort, but in it's stead we have a table of units that are far more distinct than Fire Emblems. The game is still basically Rock / Papper / Scissors, but with more options and potential threats to account for, air units, tanks of varying sizes, artillery, recon, submarines and naval units, etc. Also, rather than simply eliminating the enemy units, there is a currency system managed by how many cities a player controls. A player with more cities and bases can produce a larger army, and so the player must strategize which targets they must hold. You can starve an enemy army out by fortifying bases, or you could attempt to move an infantry into the enemys HQ to capture. Additionally each Army is controlled by a commanding officer and each has a unique power it can initiate when a bar is filled as well as different passive abilities. One CO can capture cities quicker, while another can increase the range of his artillery.

A6a5nF9.png

5lIe9hl.jpg

The second game, Black Hole Rising is much of the same. The single player campaign offers a bit more variety with some more unique mission structure, and a rather unneeded Neo Tank (it's the large tank, but larger!). This game really seems like the peak of the franchise to me though, more COs to choose from and the War Room where you can play single missions purchased with currency from wins in the campaign. There were so many maps to choose from (and many were rebalanced Famicom Wars levels!) and I spent hours and hours playing these and trying to S Rank them all in mom and dads car as a middle schooler.

7hJvUZ3.png

Also the music was pretty dope, despite GBA sound not being the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okp_A6aSdtU&list=PLhHcMbVmbwCcT5_HiVvjtkkTPtG-M0Bc_

The DS Games
The DS games on the other hand, are a bit more flawed if you ask me. The absolutely beautiful GBA graphics were kind of destroyed in the transition to Dual Strike (the first DS game). They went with this strange skewing of the map to try and make it look a bit fancier, and a lot of the new COs seemed to be drawn in an entirely different style from the previous games. They also stretched and skewed the sprites in the battle vignettes to make it look more 3D. I'm not sure if there was a different artist or art team working on this one or what, but something changed. I also was not a fan of Dual Strikes top map, a feature utilizing the Dual Screen where air units could be sent up to high altitudes to fight on a second map where land units couldn't take them down. It felt a little forced and just threw off the balance of the original game if you ask me.

JLTowKn.png

Advance Wars 1 and Black Hole Rising had absolutely stunning map graphics. It's simple but beautiful.

CoMALfB.jpg

The DS doing this weird Mode 7 thing where they skew the maps (this screenshot isn't of the highest fidelity so it's a bit unfair to compare the two side to side, but this was the best I could surface).

lpT3G2q.jpg

This is not an improvement! (sorry for the dark screenshot, again I was struggling to find good Dual Strike screenshots).

Days of Ruin was perhaps the most bizarre of the four. For whatever reason they decided that this colorful game needed a gritty reboot, so they created a whole new world that was dark and apocalyptic. The funny thing is, a lot of the art in this game looked pretty good, but it just wasn't Advance Wars. [strike]Another odd thing I noticed looking back, they decided to turn all the sprites to give it a 3D look. I think they're kinda nice looking, but i'd still take the old classic sprites any day.[/strike] EDIT: whoops, users have pointed out the isometric sprites are only featured on zoom-in, so points to Days of Ruin on this one! The gameplay was way better than Dual Strike and seemed to reign it back in a bit, but I just couldn't get over the grittiness. My nitpicking aside, this was still a fantastic game and I'd still happily take a Days of Ruin sequel over what we got though, nothing.

f7Fg43m.jpg

hOYqM6u.jpg

They also did that weird 3D thing again, although it looked a bit better in DoR.

The Gamecube and Wii

dXOl1os.jpg

These weren't developed by Intelligent Systems and don't exist.

The Future Of The Series
We haven't really heard anything about Advance Wars since then, and now that Intelligent Systems is making that $$$ with Fire Emblem, I don't know if we're going to see an actual Advance Wars anytime soon. Maybe they could hand it off to a different developer!

One ray of hope, the Nintendo Switch has an Advance Wars-like on the way, Wargroove by Chucklefish. The game has a medieval theme but seems to ape Advance Wars in every way, and looks just as beautiful. This is gonna be a day 1 for me.

vpVCMxt.jpg

knee;252581181 said:
There's hope-- played this at PAX.

http://tinymetal.com/

Wow, this looks pretty fascinating too!
radar.gif

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty excited for Tiny Metal. It's only like a month away too. Hope it's a worthy successor.

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty excited for Tiny Metal. It's only like a month away too. Hope it's a worthy successor.

I'm actually more hyped up for Wargroove just because I get such a kick out of the aesthetic, But Tiny Metal really looks like something too!

Ahri

Lying PR
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Very looking forward to Tiny Metal & Wargroove (esp the latter).

I truly hope that IS goes back to it... 'Switch Wars', please be a real thing.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Fire Emblem got popular in the West is the short term answer. It might come back though, since project S.T.E.A.M didn't quite light up the world.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Advance wars DS, along with Kirby's canvas curse were the two games I picked up with my DS. I absolutely loved it and it became part of the reason I love tactical RPG's.

Can't wait to see how wargroove turns out!

Ahri

Lying PR
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Advance wars DS, along with Kirby's canvas curse were the two games I picked up with my DS. I absolutely loved it and it became part of the reason I love tactical RPG's.

Can't wait to see how wargroove turns out!

Really have faith in it. I just hope that the single player campaign will be hefty.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
Advance Wars is easily one of my favorite Nintendo IP. I sincerely hope they bring it back on Switch

RampagingSoul

Oct 25, 2017
Loved Advance Wars! Sucks that we haven't had another game in the series in a moment, but Tiny Metal and Wargroove look good and promising so far.

Mr Delabee

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Would be nice to see if they ever did a GBA virtual console, wargroove does look like it could fill the gap though.

Have great travelling memories of AW 1&2, GBA was my partner in crime.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My little bro had this on his GB Advance and I played it more than he did. Absolutely loved this series and would like to see a return

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Would be nice to see if they ever did a GBA virtual console, wargroove does look like it could fill the gap though.

Have great travelling memories of AW 1&2, GBA was my partner in crime.

Most of my memories of 1 and 2 were playing in the car, haha! It was perfect for mobile.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem got popular and now they feel its redundant. I would pay big money for a proper collection though

Myradeer

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I really liked how they changed the CO powers on Days of Ruins. The area of effect - in regards to its influence and charge - is an interesting mechanic that was utilized really well, allowing for greater positioning strategy while reducing the oppressing influence the commanders had on previous installments. There's also Infantry cost changes, experience system which encourages player to keep units alive... lots of modifications that brought the gameplay to better direction.

It's just disappointing that there isn't enough single-player content to play around with these mechanics; lack of War Room is obvious, but the campaign takes forever before unlocking its CO power mechanics in earnest as well.

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem got popular and now they feel its redundant. I would pay big money for a proper collection though
Obviously we need CO Waifus.

I really liked how they changed the CO powers on Days of Ruins. The area of effect - in regards to its influence and charge - is an interesting mechanic that was utilized really well, allowing for greater positioning strategy while reducing the oppressing influence the commanders had on previous installments. There's also Infantry cost changes, experience system which encourages player to keep units alive... lots of modifications that brought the gameplay to better direction.

It's just disappointing that there isn't enough single-player content to play around with these mechanics; lack of War Room is obvious, but the campaign takes forever before unlocking its CO power mechanics in earnest as well.
These are great observations. The thing about Days of Ruin is I remember having a really positive impression of it when it first came out, but it just isn't as memorable as AW1 or Black Hole Rising for me.

Oct 25, 2017
The only one I played was Dual Strike which I liked a lot, I'd be super down for a Switch game. Or even a good mobile one, honestly.

Also been wanting Sami in Smash since forever. Make it happen please, Sakurai.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly what Advance Wars needs to do to be successful is include romanceable COs, with branching mission paths depending on whose favor you want to curry.

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Clearly what Advance Wars needs to do to be successful is include romanceable COs, with branching mission paths depending on whose favor you want to curry.

I fully realize this is a joke but I could almost see some sort of S-Link system that would eventually create alliances with other factions and change Campaign maps, like choosing to help a Blue Moon CO resulting in unlocking that character for use and getting support from them, etc. I could see pathway for Intelligent Systems to integrate S-Linking and stuff into Advance Wars if it was done tastefully.

CoconutTank

Oct 25, 2017
X, Y, Z
I miss Advance Wars :( With that said, I still have my 3DS with me, and I basically have Advance Wars DS and Advance Wars Days of Ruin glued into the cartridge slots at this point. I'm hoping that Intelligent Systems will look into continuing the Wars series, though Wargroove looks pretty cool too!

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I miss Advanced Wars a lot. I really would like for Intelligent Systems to give it another go, even if that means adding waifus. I'd honestly be okay with Advanced Waifus. That being said, I really hope that Wargroove ends up scratching that itch for me next year.

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem waifus happened I guess. Shame since advance wars had such a nice style and even days of ruin was a good execution of a grim dark version.

DiscoPizza

Oct 25, 2017
I love Advance Wars but I think I'm playing it wrong because the only way I can ever win is by spamming the enemy with weak units until I can cover up their factories and capture their HQ.

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I love Advance Wars but I think I'm playing it wrong because the only way I can ever win is by spamming the enemy with weak units until I can cover up their factories and capture their HQ.

Whatever works, works! Also worth noting is the first game has some pretty spotty AI and you can actually spam APCs to win. Units will ALWAYS attack APCs if they are an available target, so you can pair them with infantry to capture cities or pair them with your primary force to prevent the enemy from dealing damage to your big guns.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Fire Emblem got big by the power of anime and gacha so Intelligent are NEVER going back to that IP unless they can anime up tanks

Intelligent made a cool ass steampunk SRPG before an Advance Wars sequel lmfao

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem got big by the power of anime and gacha so Intelligent are NEVER going back to that IP unless they can anime up tanks

Intelligent made a cool ass steampunk SRPG before an Advance Wars sequel lmfao

IejxyUD.jpg

This would be a fate worse than death itself.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
I still dream that Nintendo will make a mobile Advance Wars (purely because I imagined that would be the only viable avenue for revival). There's enough room for differentiation in themes, monetization, and gameplay - especially since FEH took a very simplified approach while AW mobile could stick to its roots more closely - that the risk of cannibalization is way less than on $40 retail handheld games.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it could come back once Nintendo feels comfortable enough to kill 3DS and focus the mobile teams on switch...I'd be fine with an e-shop exclusive or short of that virtual console. Advance Wars Dual Strike is still one of my all time faves...or hell maybe do it on iOS since Fire Emblem seemed to be well received there?

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I started replaying AW on an emulator the other week, myself... I got to the first mission with Strum and took a break. Need to get back to it.

Slightly biased, but Wargroove is going to be great!

I can't wait for Wargroove or Tiny Metal. I have room in my heart and wallet for both!

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I miss the series, balance was a joke but they just felt great
Battalion wars was fine but just not AW games

Yohane

Oct 25, 2017
I used to play Advanced Wars with other 3 friends during recess in hs.

Those were the days.

I never managed to beat Sturm tho.

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Days of Ruin was such a weird game. I finished it, but it didn't feel like a real Advance Wars. Dual Strike was my favorite, although I realise the gameplay was broken in some ways, it just was such an addicting game to play especially the extra missions/challenges outside of the main story (don't remember what they were called).

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they'll bring it back. Loved the series. I think Intelligent Systems hinted that Advance Wars mobile could happen, but I'd greatly prefer a full new entry on Switch.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
Man I used to love this and Golden Sun on my GBA! But then it got stolen. I probably missed out on a lot of games after that by not buying a new one. Also, Fire Emblem was likely way more successful and left this game in the past.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad that Nintendo never put a Nintendo Wars on either 3DS or WiiU.
Both platforms would fir perfectly with their touch controls. On the other hand I could see a future mobile Advance Wars (hopefully) followed by a full fledged Game on the Switch.

Either way, good to see that we will get Tiny Metal and Wargroove.
After how Tiny Metals Kickstarter failed it's good that they got a publisher to do it anyway but I'm more stacked for Wargroove. From what I've seen so far it's deeper and has way more options/content.
Can't wait to get my hands on this type of TBS again

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I love Fire Emblem and I love Advanced Wars. I hope both can co-exist.

I think Intellisystems are just enjoying making Fire Emblem right now.