• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dax

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, Fire Emblem is the hot property right now, but if they could allow for the tanks to bang each other in a Batteries not included/ Hatoful Boyfriend kinda way, I'm sure things will pan out.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think Advance Wars would make a great mobile game for Nintendo. I'd love to see them do PvP as the main focus initially, but with little bite-sized campaigns being launched periodically.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I think Days of Ruin was supposed to be something like the FE Awakening of the franchise. They tried to expand its audience by going into a somewhat different direction, but in contrast to Awakening a few years later DoR failed at this endeavour. Interest was so low, it didn't even receive a proper release in Japan anymore (it was later released as a Club Nintendo reward on the 3DS eShop, I believe).

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
My top 3 Nintendo franchises.

I loved the original. I hate how Nintendo has pretty much abandoned it.

If a new one gets announced for switch that would definitely push me over the edge and buy one.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Advance What!? ...Oh right, those stupid games.

If my current avatar wasn't a giveaway, I do like those games. I've only played the two on GBA. The first one I played and beat a few years back, I think, although I did play some of the multiplayer way back when the game had just been released on GBA, and the sequel I started playing sometime last year. However, I didn't beat AW2 until just a few days ago because certain missions can completely exhaust me which means that I sometimes need to take long breaks from the games. It's also the reason why I haven't yet, and don't plan to move on to the DS games very soon: I know that if I start playing them now, it'll probably take me a year or two longer to play Wargroove, which is a game I'm excited for and want to support, so we'll get more games like these in the future.

rucury

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Puerto Rico
I'm actually going through my first playthrough of the GBA originals! In part because I have a battery powered GBA and Maria knocked out my electricity and its still not back.

But! Also because I've always heard good things about the series, and I'm a big Fire Emblem fan. I gotta say, these are some charming-ass games. I can't believe I didn't give them
a chance back in they day (their relative obscurity didn't much help).

I hate that Ace CO and his damn lightning strike power.

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually going through my first playthrough of the GBA originals! In part because I have a battery powered GBA and Maria knocked out my electricity and its still not back.

But! Also because I've always heard good things about the series, and I'm a big Fire Emblem fan. I gotta say, these are some charming-ass games. I can't believe I didn't give them
a chance back in they day (their relative obscurity didn't much help).

I hate that Ace CO and his damn lightning strike power.

Oh man, you're in for a real treat! Hope you get your lights back on soon and that your family and friends are all safe!

Oct 25, 2017
I really loved the series on Advance. It was the style and using modern infantry units that made it for me. I am hoping they will come across to the Switch in some fashion and would love Nintendo to give it another go because there's clearly a cry for it.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Don't ignore the Famicom Wars games prior to the GBA, Super Famicom Wars and Game Boy Wars Turbo are two of my favorites.

But yeah, it's weird that a series that had like a dozen or so releases over 20 years hasn't had a release since the 2013 Japanese Days of Ruin release and a new game in 9 years

DontBlink

Oct 25, 2017
Advance Wars is probably my top three series for the Game Boy Advance. Spent so much time playing the sequel as a kid, and I remember not being able to beat it until couple years later. Dual Strike was the reason I finally got a DS once it launched. Good times.

Wargroove is the only game we've got, well that and Lost Frontier, a $2.99 mobile game that is actually damn good.

Woah, this looks really cool. Thanks for mentioning it, always wanted a western style Advance Wars. Now if only someone resurrected Pirate Battle :(
Pirate-Battle.png

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Super stoked about Wargroove and excited to see how creative some people get with custom campaigns.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Initially, yes, then later moved to the DS. Was being made by the same people who worked on Scurge: Hive, Juka and Racing Gears. Eventually the company went under and the game was cancelled.

Some more information here from one of the devs.
Dang, that's too bad looks really cool. Maybe one day if my indie gave dev takes off I can make one. Seems like we have 2 coming soon though

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Yup I miss Advance Wars, used to play so much I dreamed about it. Like some others here I am paying close attention to Tiny Metal and Wargroove.

Deleted member 3365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love Days of Ruin, this track is awesome.

Looking forward to Wargroove and Tinymetal. Hopefully, someday Intelligent Systems will return to Advance Wars (still love Fire Emblem though).

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Initially, yes, then later moved to the DS. Was being made by the same people who worked on Scurge: Hive, Juka and Racing Gears. Eventually the company went under and the game was cancelled.

Some more information here from one of the devs.

I remember following that one and discussing it on gamespot back in the day

I think I need to start tracking down Advance Wars 1 and 2 for replays.

Tachya

Oct 25, 2017
I have fond memories of the first Advance Wars on the GBA. First learned about it in summer school and we did pass & play.

I never bought the sequels for whatever reason though, even the DS version which I probably should have. I think the print run on that may have been fairly limited though?

Wargroove should be a decent spiritual revival though.

Riou

Oct 26, 2017
Advance Wars was probably my favorite game on the GBA. It was the game that got me interested in Strategy games.

I really loved this series and wish they would revive it for the Switch. I like Fire Emblem too and am glad that it has become more popular but I'll still take Advance Wars over it any day.

Jenoss

Oct 26, 2017
i suppose that the team as limited resources, and they are focus all of them on the fire emblem franchise.

optiroc

Oct 28, 2017
This is great! I was just looking for rom hack translations for this just the other day. Good work, man! Thanks for sharing.

Is that link the best place to follow this?
Yup! I'll release a video of me playing the game on a real SNES "soon", then we'll probably be rather quiet until release. But I'll answer questions and post occasional screenshots in that thread!

Deleted member 27211

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
the first adv wars was so damn addictive, tried a friends copy, played for half a day then immediately went and bought a gba and the game and just gorged myself. Never loved the follow ups as much but they were good games.

A reboot which captures that crack level simplicity of the first would be welcome on my switch.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Having only played Days of Ruin, what's different about it compared to previous entries other than the attempt at a serious plot and dark setting?

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Having only played Days of Ruin, what's different about it compared to previous entries other than the attempt at a serious plot and dark setting?

The biggest change to gameplay IMO was a severe reduction in CO power strength. In Dual Strike they were at the pinnacle of strength with double powers rattling off and turning the tide, Days of Ruin made them far more modest and forced the player to strategize with the tools they had rather than building the bar up to mop things up in a single turn.