• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I really think the only bright spot in all this mess has been EVGA. I really wish I could have given EVGA my money. Couldn't pass up an FE 3090 when I had the chance. That FTW3 looks great though.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
Just went through recent posts/threads, and can't confirm this at all. Was this from a source with EVGA, or is this just the musings of randy-bobbers over there?

I could believe it, but regardless of the accuracy, I agree one of the other posts in that thread, this system is ill conceived and will waste a lot of time on people who've already bought a card, don't actually have the money right now, or just signed up on a whim. If they're going to do a queue, they should take actual orders with payment up front. Give a short opportunity to cancel just prior to shipment for those who happen to track one down elsewhere. They would know how many serious committed buyers they had and could forecast fulfillment time reasonably well.

A Grizzly Bear

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Great that they implemented a queue but it would be good to know what happens after you purchase. Would be nice to know that someone that signs up for everything doesn't get a chance to buy them all.

Edit: There we go. Good to know!

Last edited:

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Finnish store Jimms gave out figure for yesterdays 3080 STRIX OC shipment, 17 cards.

Nothing to throw big party over.

Now 68th on que for one 🤣

Jhey Cyphre

Oct 25, 2017
Well, finally got my 3080 FE.

The packaging was pretty sick though I didn't take much time to admire it. Thing was in my system in record time.

For some dumb reason I wanted to use DDU to get rid of any left over Nvidia stuff. I don't know why I did this... I haven't bothered with this kind of thing in years and have had zero issues. The next thing that happened was my system locking me out for the next three hours. Turns out the safe mode password isn't the pin I've been using or even the Microsoft password... it's whatever I set up years ago locally. So I spent the next few hours trying to figure out how to log back into normal Windows 10.

Anyhow, after finally installing and I decided I wanted to try and undervolt right off the bat. Nearly gave me a heart attack when nothing worked before I did the sensible thing and just ran stock. I'll look more into it later.

Unfortunately I don't really have any big GPU intensive game to test on. Mostly just been playing VR stuff. Fallout 4 VR runs a hell of a lot better now. I tried out 3D mark... I got a low'ish score. So I'll probably spend some time tuning. Really regret not buying Control now lol.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Ahahahaha and another +50 euros over here for the aorus.
It's now 1100 euros for the 3080
200 euros shy of my gigabyte 3090 after rebate :P
getting there, getting there

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I really think the only bright spot in all this mess has been EVGA. I really wish I could have given EVGA my money. Couldn't pass up an FE 3090 when I had the chance. That FTW3 looks great though.
I mean not in the UK/EU. We haven't had even 1 EVGA card delivered to anyone yet. Hopefully that will change this week as they are finally due with retailers to fulfill orders from September 17th.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Been spending almost all my time in the discord. Which has been, and hopefully will continue to be a wonderful time. Got my 3080 a few days ago thanks to a generous member. And I really just got around to tinkering with it last night. Played some control and then did OC testing. I really got a solid card with the Gigabyte Gaming OC. Maybe the capacitor gate was a touch overblown ;)

7nUDhFy_d.webp

This is specifically amongst RTX 3080 users with Ryzen 3700x's as CPU and GPU performance not overall.

Average temps were 50c to boot throughout a few hours of testing in a Lancool mesh 2 with under gpu fans. Really nice.

Here's some comparison glamour shots for everyone between the 1080ti FE and this card. It's huge.

20201003_232642.jpg

20201003_232649.jpg

20201003_232718.jpg

Thanks again to Serene for taking care of me in the interim between my 2080 and 3080 You've made me and my friend very happy!

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Been spending almost all my time in the discord. Which has been, and hopefully will continue to be a wonderful time. Got my 3080 a few days ago thanks to a generous member. And I really just got around to tinkering with it last night. Played some control and then did OC testing. I really got a solid card with the Gigabyte Gaming OC. Maybe the capacitor gate was a touch overblown ;)

7nUDhFy_d.webp

This is specifically amongst RTX 3080 users with Ryzen 3700x's as CPU and GPU performance not overall.

Average temps were 50c to boot throughout a few hours of testing in a Lancool mesh 2 with under gpu fans. Really nice.
*thumbs up*

Gumbie

Oct 28, 2017

I got the same Gigabyte 3080....mine has a weird smell coming from between the backplate and the heatsink. It's sort of a burning smell..? Honestly it smells more like stale cigarettes. I've got a request in with Gigabyte but haven't heard anything back yet.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got the same Gigabyte 3080....mine has a weird smell coming from between the backplate and the heatsink. It's sort of a burning smell..? Honestly it smells more like stale cigarettes. I've got a request in with Gigabyte but haven't heard anything back yet.
I'll give it a whiff when I get a chance

Gushu

Sep 29, 2018

7nUDhFy_d.webp

Here's some comparison glamour shots for everyone between the 1080ti FE and this card. It's huge.

20201003_232642.jpg

20201003_232649.jpg

20201003_232718.jpg

Thanks again to Serene for taking care of me in the interim between my 2080 and 3080 You've made me and my friend very happy!
Nice!!
Is this 3DMark Port Royale score?
I also have a 3700x with a rtx 3080. Lets see what score i can get.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To add: it's not only huge, it's also freaking tall, which make using a support bracket a tad trickier than I expected, as you'll usually land right into a fan with the supporting piece.
I'm using a cooler master support...

I couldn't remember the name, this

Amazon.com: Cooler Master Accessory: Universal VGA Graphics Card Holder, Adjustable, Steel, Holds 2 VGA Card for Computer Cases: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Cooler Master Accessory: Universal VGA Graphics Card Holder, Adjustable, Steel, Holds 2 VGA Card for Computer Cases: Computers & Accessories

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
I'm using a cooler master support...

I couldn't remember the name, this

Yeah, I have a side mounted one, on the other pcie slots of the case. That's usually the "top" of the GPU, but not with the 3080!

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Now undervolt/underclock it! These cards consume a stupid amount of power for little perceived gain. I've got mine consuming 230w under load for around 1000~ less in timespy. 1850mhz/0.8v underclock. The extra boosting sends them out of control power wise.

PorcoLighto

Oct 25, 2017
Finnish store Jimms gave out figure for yesterdays 3080 STRIX OC shipment, 17 cards.

Nothing to throw big party over.

Now 68th on que for one 🤣
How are you seeing your queue? We need to contact support?

Contacted support and there is over 100 orders before me, lmao.

I also ordered from Gigantti, but that was even after Jimms. :harold:

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What are the noise levels like for the Gigabyte Gaming OC? I've got one on pre-order from Overclockers UK currently.

Itching to know what I'll have to deal with considering my Phanteks P500A is very quiet on lowest fan settings, also do you notice any coil whine at all?
Honestly it's kind of hard to say. I don't hear and coil whine. And I don't really notice the sound. That being said due to playing on an LG C9 TV and the short length of HDMI 2.1. I have to keep my computer on the floor under my desk and I have headphones on typically so it's a non issue for me. When I'm not pushing the fan curve like crazy for benchmarks etc I don't even notice the fan sound ramp though.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Honestly it's kind of hard to say. I don't hear and coil whine. And I don't really notice the sound. That being said due to playing on an LG C9 TV and the short length of HDMI 2.1. I have to keep my computer on the floor under my desk and I have headphones on typically so it's a non issue for me. When I'm not pushing the fan curve like crazy for benchmarks etc I don't even notice the fan sound ramp though.
Cheers man, really can't wait to get my hands on this card. Worst case I'll just make use of either a decent fan curve or just use the dual bios switch on the card when I'm not gaming.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Ordered a 3080 gigabyte OC earlier today from alternate because it was available for a short time which according to CS will ship today or tomorrow.

SayemAhmd

Unshakable Resolve
Dec 3, 2019
My Scan order made at 14:12 on the 17th for the EVGA XC3 has shipped!
unknown.png

Now, the question is, do I leave that sealed for now and gun for the FE on Thursday again and pass this to a friend?

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
unknown.png

Now, the question is, do I leave that sealed for now and gun for the FE on Thursday again and pass this to a friend?

Nice! I ordered my Gigabyte on Scan around 5pm, so expect my card to be delivered around 2022 at some point...

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently scan sent out msi trios today with a 14.02 order time. Mine was 14.04 but nothing yet.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
unknown.png

Great to see some movement on Scan. Im still waiting for my trio 3080 to get a move on i ordered at 14:03. I think last week's shipment of MSI is delayed, but this week's should arrive over the next 2 days. Hopefully my order made that batch.

ChristMustDie

Oct 26, 2017
Am I right in thinking the only way to preorder a GPU in the UK is to buy it from Overclockers? I usually buy my components through Scan, but they don't even have the listings up.

wotta

Oct 27, 2017
I've been searching for a 3080 ever since the 3090 reviews dropped... the search hasn't been going well. Might just have to pre-order one of the GPUs from Overclockers, get it over and done with.

The queue there is daft now. I'm just taking my chance in hoping something comes up, although I do have a PNY on order from Amazon Italy if I can't find anything else.