• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017
UPDATE/SOLUTION on bottom of post!

My post was unceremoniously removed without reason on the NVIDIA subreddit so I'm going to take a chance here instead. Mods, please let me know if this belongs in an existing thread instead!

I have been getting a lot of in-game messages about VRAM on my 3080 running out or not having enough video memory, usually when I set textures to the highest available setting. Examples of games that give me these warnings are Forza Horizon 5 and Deathloop. I am playing at 4k resolution. The warnings are accompanied by stuttery gameplay during what I assume are textures being swapped in and out of memory.

Sometimes when I lower that texture quality setting to High, the total available VRAM pool becomes larger for some reason, and I'm able to increase it to Ultra without issues.

The 3080 has 10GB of VRAM, but most games show just above 8GB in availability. Is this normal behavior? Why is there fluctuation in available VRAM even within the same game session?

I was reading how VRAM amount wasn't important before buying the 3080, but lately I'm getting all these messages in games, and seeing sudden huge drop off in FPS mid-game if I have Ultra textures.

Halo Infinite Multiplayer, for example, halves the framerate after a few rounds when using highest quality textures, even though I'm not using 100% of the VRAM pool (in-game graphic shows 7 gigs used out of 9 available).

Doom Eternal also exhibits this behavior, but only for the texture pool size setting. It seems like Ultra or Extreme sets the pool to beyond 10GB, but the game still lets me use the highest texture quality setting if I set the pool to a lower setting.

Why can't other games differentiate? For example, Warzone needs a manual .INI adjustment to set the VRAM pool to a "0.55" setting, making the game think I'm going way beyond available limits. But once I do this, it runs smooth as butter at highest texture quality. I'm even using DLSS to render at a lower internal resolution.

Anyone have any insight or workarounds aside from lowering resolution? Is 4k gaming just not viable at "extreme" texture resolutions for a video card with only 10GB VRAM?

Edit: in case anyone is also experiencing what I did, check your GPU VRAM usage in task manager. Chances are you have background apps eating a ton of it, taking away its availability for VRAM hungry games. My main culprits are Logitech G Hub (which I've since stopped using and just use onboard memory for color profiles), and DWM.exe i.e. Desktop Window Manager, a program needed by the Windows OS. It creeps up in VRAM usage slowly over time, so make sure you restart your PC often. I have no yet found a way to keep it down without restarting.

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Anyone have any insight or workarounds aside from lowering resolution? Is 4k gaming just not viable at "extreme" texture resolutions for a video card with only 10GB VRAM?
That's pretty much it. I mean, you can also not use 4K texture packs, depending on the game but that kind of defeats the purpose. Finding that 8GB-10GB just isn't enough, and that AMD had the right idea in regards to video memory. This is also a per game basis kind of thing.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
Game messages aren't necessarily accurate in terms of utilization, rather allocation of VRAM. They like to allocate as much VRAM as possible. Forza shows me a VRAM message but the game still runs very smoothly on a 3080.

This is a good thread to read through.

www.resetera.com

VRAM in 2020-2024: Why 10GB is enough.

2021 Edit: Stop making threads or comments with false data. Please back up claims with this tool. IMPORTANT EDIT: MSI Afterburner now has a way to display "Per Process VRAM Commit", which I refer to in this article as "VRAM Usage" Please see...

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Game messages aren't necessarily accurate in terms of utilization, rather allocation of VRAM. They like to allocate as much VRAM as possible. Forza shows me a VRAM message but the game still runs very smoothly on a 3080.

www.resetera.com

2021 Edit: Stop making threads or comments with false data. Please back up claims with this tool. IMPORTANT EDIT: MSI Afterburner now has a way to display "Per Process VRAM Commit", which I refer to in this article as "VRAM Usage" Please see...

If the game actually tells you that it's running out of VRAM, then.. that means its very close to (or already is) hitting the limit of usable VRAM. If it was just due to allocation it would just free up some VRAM.

yes, my friend also had several messages about it in Forza and his game was fine, until he got to a part of the map in a certain condition where it wasn't. Developers aren't stupid.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any insight or workarounds aside from lowering resolution?
Lower the texture quality?
Aside from Deathloop and FH5 what other games show "in-game messages about VRAM on my 3080 running out or not having enough video memory" for you?
Note that Deathloop does no such thing for me but it does begin to stutter at around 3rd or so level load due to what is likely a poor engine memory management.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
welp, glad I sprung for a 3090. I remember all the people saying the 3080 would have way more than enough RAM and while I'm kind of surprised we're seeing this happen already, I'm not TOOOO surprised.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I haven't seen any such warnings on my 2080Ti, which only has 1GB more than you. And I always game at 4K with the highest texture setting.

OP
OP
zombipuppy

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017

www.resetera.com

Yes, I had actually read through that thread before, and I get what Darktalon was getting at. But my concern is that just within a year or so of the 3080's release, the "top of the line" card doesn't cut it for 4k at max settings. Should have gotten the 3090, eh? :(

welp, glad I sprung for a 3090. I remember all the people saying the 3080 would have way more than enough RAM and while I'm kind of surprised we're seeing this happen already, I'm not TOOOO surprised.

LOL, yep!

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
If the game actually tells you that it's running out of VRAM, then.. that means its very close to (or already is) hitting the limit of usable VRAM. If it was just due to allocation it would just free up some VRAM.

yes, my friend also had several messages about it in Forza and his game was fine, until he got to a part of the map in a certain condition where it wasn't. Developers aren't stupid.
There are also cases where Digital Foundry found that you should ignore the in game VRAM usage stats. Resident Evil comes to mind. Not calling the developers stupid but they can make mistakes :)

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I had actually read through that thread before, and I get what Darktalon was getting at. But my concern is that just within a year or so of the 3080's release, the "top of the line" card doesn't cut it for 4k at max settings. Should have gotten the 3090, eh? :(
Oh. It's one of these threads then.

ImPacaTheCat

Mar 3, 2020
isn't there a rumor of Nvidia launching an old card (it was 2060Ti maybe?) with 16GB of RAM? I don't know if it's just a rumour, but if true I guess they know RAM in series 3000 nvidia cards could be a problem down the line
I bought a 3080 card but I play mostly at 2K, so I haven't encontered any problems yet

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Nvidia is all over the place when it comes to VRAM.

Why is the 3080 only 10GB? Why is the 3070 only 8GB? Why is the 3060 12GB? I know that GDDR6X had some restrictions, but the 3080 could have just been a defective half-VRAM 3090 like the current 12GB 3080 Ti.

I only game at 1440p so hopefully my 3080 doesn't get too handicapped over the course of the generation. I'd still take lowering the textures over lowering the raytracing (AMD) though.

Unless Nvidia WASN'T full of shit and DX12U games with SSDs start to radically change the way they use VRAM. My money is on penny pinching though.

MotherFan

Oct 27, 2017
Need to use msi afterburner to see what actual process utilization looks like. If it is not hitting close to 10 GB then it should not be a ram utilization issue. Post a screenshot of this happening when you have the msi overlay up.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The weird thing about what you said is that the behavior is not consistent, leading me to think you might have a problem with your card or perhaps the power delivery to it. What sort of PSU are you running?

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Funny, I have an RTX 3080 and played Deathloop in 4K with the highest texture setting and never received this warning. My performance was pretty consistently around 70-75 fps.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
I played Deathloop, Forza, Doom Eternal and Halo Infinite MP and i don't have any of those problems on a EVGA 3080 at 4k 60fps.

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
have not had any messages or issues with forza, don't have deathloop

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I played Forza and Deathloop without any warning on my 3080 at 4k. That's weird.

Funny, I have an RTX 3080 and played Deathloop in 4K with the highest texture setting and never received this warning. My performance was pretty consistently around 70-75 fps.

I played Deathloop, Forza, Doom Eternal and Halo Infinite MP and i don't have any of those problems on a EVGA 3080 at 4k 60fps.

have not had any messages or issues with forza, don't have deathloop

Same here with Forza - 4k, maxed out, no VRAM warnings whatsoever.

The plot thickens...O_O

Maybe OP is an anomaly.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

Why is the 3080 only 10GB? Why is the 3070 only 8GB? Why is the 3060 12GB? I know that GDDR6X had some restrictions, but the 3080 could have just been a defective half-VRAM 3090 like the current 12GB 3080 Ti.
Because you can't have any amount of VRAM you want on any GPU. For instance, the 3080 can either have 10GB or 20GB.

OP
OP
zombipuppy

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh. It's one of these threads then.

Nah.

But here is what I'm talking about, just tested again with Deathloop:

Wz8bp4h.jpg

mLPAjSi.jpg

Both VRAM readings, as inaccurate as they may be, are under 10GB. Yet in the second image the game indicates I only have 7.8GB usable.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Honestly my current GPU is one of the major roadblocks between me and getting a 4K TV.

It definitely ain't gonna handle 4K, and with no GPUs available, I don't really have much of an alternative.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't have enough computational power to run max settings at 4k60 anyway. Even last gen games like RDR2 and most of the ubi catalog will choke if you don't turn down some of the sillier settings, much less something like cyberpunk that actually is computationally expensive

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
I had a VRAM warning in Forza Horizon 5 on my 3060 Ti running at 1080p, which honestly confused me. It wasn't a false alarm, either--I started to see weird rainbow artifacting in foliage and such. Turning MSAA down a notch seemed to fix it, but still--I was surprised.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas

I only game at 1440p so hopefully my 3080 doesn't get too handicapped over the course of the generation. I'd still take lowering the textures over lowering the raytracing (AMD) though.

Unless Nvidia WASN'T full of shit and DX12U games with SSDs start to radically change the way they use VRAM. My money is on penny pinching though.
If only there was a thread that was linked in THIS very thread that answers all your questions.

OP
OP
zombipuppy

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly my current GPU is one of the major roadblocks between me and getting a 4K TV.

It definitely ain't gonna handle 4K, and with no GPUs available, I don't really have much of an alternative.

It doesn't have enough computational power to run max settings at 4k60 anyway. Even last gen games like RDR2 and most of the ubi catalog will choke if you don't turn down some of the sillier settings, much less something like cyberpunk that actually is computationally expensive

Seems that way. So ColdDeckEd is right, gotta learn to love the lower textures.

Even though I select "Don't show this message again", it still just now popped up for me in Forza Horizon 5:
3juKM6r.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
That's pretty much it. I mean, you can also not use 4K texture packs, depending on the game but that kind of defeats the purpose. Finding that 8GB-10GB just isn't enough, and that AMD had the right idea in regards to video memory. This is also a per game basis kind of thing.

Nope, that's not it. Haven't had a single VRAM issue with FH5 on Extreme settings, and never gotten the pop-up once.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Nah.

Wz8bp4h.jpg

mLPAjSi.jpg

Both VRAM readings, as inaccurate as they may be, are under 10GB. Yet in the second image the game indicates I only have 7.8GB usable.
I guarantee you aren't using the proper RTSS VRAM monitor. Also in game VRAM monitors are liars. Make sure you are using THIS otherwise you are just looking at allocation.

Also, restart your computer from time to time, VRAM fragmentation is a real thing.

7IjuEOj.png

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I had a VRAM warning in Forza Horizon 5 on my 3060 Ti running at 1080p, which honestly confused me. It wasn't a false alarm, either--I started to see weird rainbow artifacting in foliage and such. Turning MSAA down a notch seemed to fix it, but still--I was surprised.
LOL running out of vram does not cause rainbow artifacts. More like having overclocked your memory too high.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get terrible performance on my 3080 in warzone and half life alyx with textures set to max.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I get terrible performance on my 3080 in warzone and half life alyx with textures set to max.
You get terrible performance in warzone, because you almost certainly have the VRAM allocation setting, set to 90% which is KNOWN TO CAUSE ISSUES. Change it back to 80% and you are golden. And the half life alyx thing has been disproven soooo many times, I swear everyones anecdotes always flock to games that give false alarm warnings. Next up is someone saying that Resident Evil 2 or Village ran out of VRAM. (hint, its uses about 30-40% less than it claims to use)

Oct 28, 2017
You get terrible performance in warzone, because you almost certainly have the VRAM allocation setting, set to 90% which is KNOWN TO CAUSE ISSUES. Change it back to 80% and you are golden. And the half life alyx thing has been disproven soooo many times, I swear everyones anecdotes always flock to games that give false alarm warnings. Next up is someone saying that Resident Evil 2 or Village ran out of VRAM.

Don't worry, I'm sure someone's teeing up the issues Far Cry 6 has with texture allocation as a 3080 VRAM issue right now as well.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
4k 60fps in FH5, Halo Infinite, and the Division 2 with a 3080, haven't seen that error message pop up yet. Assetto Corsa, and iRacing on a Reverb G2, SS 100% no vram warnings.

naff

Unshakeable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017

price of the memory. cost to benefit ratio. 3090 is basically the same chipset as the 3080 but you're significantly increasing the price for a ridiculous amount of ram you'd never use in games. there are optimization issues with FH5, idk about deathloop but 10GB GDDR6X with appropriate vram alloc will be enough. the 3090 is aimed at professionals, specifically film and 3d rendering

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Nah.

Wz8bp4h.jpg

mLPAjSi.jpg

You have something running in the background which is using ~1.5 GBs of VRAM.

gzrEIM.jpg

But this indicator is rather meaningless. As I've said the game starts to stutter due to improper VRAM management on about third level load or so anyway.

OP
OP
zombipuppy

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I guarantee you aren't using the proper RTSS VRAM monitor. Also in game VRAM monitors are liars. Make sure you are using THIS otherwise you are just looking at allocation.

Also, restart your computer from time to time, VRAM fragmentation is a real thing.

7IjuEOj.png

I see, I did have it wrong. But I don't see a GPU Memory Usage option, just regular Memory Usage.

You have something running in the background which is using ~1.5 GBs of VRAM.

gzrEIM.jpg

But this indicator is rather meaningless. As I've said the game starts stutter due to improper VRAM management on about third level load or so anyway.

So I dug a little deeper, and you're absolutely right:

xJsqOfc.png

G Hub I can understand, bloatware from Logitech... but the Desktop Windows Manager using over a gig?? Is that normal?

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Interesting... so none of you are getting messages at highest texture settings? I have room to spare for available texture memory, but I get bombarded with those warnings!

I've played most of the AAA games from the last 2-3 years on my 3080 @4K res with the highest texture settings the only time I got a VRAM message was in Far Cry 6.