• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Rudolph has basically always been a story of "We only like you if you're useful."

But in any case, the people in that video are acting like bigots and assholes because you're specifically meant to dislike them, so I don't see how it's problematic. They're examples of what *not* to be.

Oct 26, 2017
3 threads later: "The Nativity is problematic because it's ground zero for The Crusades and alter boy rape."

Rudolph out of all things?

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Rudolph has basically always been a story of "We only like you if you're useful."

It was written for a department store, so the fact that it boils down to a capitalist maxim shouldn't be all that surprising. But generations of kids have grown up taking a much better lesson from it, so this is just another permutation of the "cereal is a kind of soup" internet navel-gazing.

staedtler

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find the song Santa Clause is Coming To Town pretty dark and offensive as it paints Santa as a child predator watching kids and taking notes. I'm pretty outraged at Christmas culture.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
You know when you see things being framed as "people are starting to notice..." that's never true. People notice these things when they're released.

NFinity

Oct 25, 2017
The Rudolph special has been airing annually on CBS, since 1964, why is there all of a sudden an issue with it, this year?

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anybody in reality got the wrong message from Rudolph. I mean the special is one thing and has it's age obviously, but the concept of Rudolph rising above hate is a good lesson to kids. Thinking about how that falls into the capitalist society is thinking more about it than 100% of kids do.

This is just more of that crap you see on facebook where people see this and are like, "Are dem liberals mad about freaking Rudolph too?!"

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the disturbing factor was going to be about the bumble
hero_rudolph.jpg

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Those assholes in that show are meant to be one dimensional assholes.

Also they are a good reminder to kids that the world is a cruel place early on that even cute reindeers are discriminated against.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It isn't so much glorifying the way that people are mistreated over minor differences but trying, in a perhaps mistaken way, to demonstrate that people will treat you like shit, even Santa of all people will, until you speak up for yourself and prove them wrong.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Grinch is a really problematic Christmas special full of animal abuse and antisocial behavior!

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
When I see threads like these, I immediately assume the OP is someone on the opposite side of the sociopolitical spectrum, and needs to manufacture fake outrage to destroy opposing ideologies from within. A mole, if you will.

I'm probably wrong, but maybe not.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
3 threads later: "The Nativity is problematic because it's ground zero for The Crusades and alter boy rape."

Rudolph out of all things?

You joke, but I've seen too many Nativity stories that cast the innkeeper as a miserly, heartless Jew to think that that story can't be problematic.

This Rudolph shit is ridiculous, though, even as a lark. The only offensive thing about the stop motion cartoon is how much time is wasted with that Yeti and snow explorer horseshit nobody cares about.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I guess no one in this thread saw the alternate ending where Rudolph's nose goes out mid-trip. Christmas is a disaster and Rudolph comes to the shop the next morning with an uzi.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My family hasn't been able to watch this film in well over 20 years without tearing it apart. Santa in particular is a big piece of shit. Still an endearing classic.

Also, that elf totally killed that misfit toy bird at the end. It couldn't fly, and he just threw it off the sleigh.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
♫ Rudoph the Red-nosed Reindeer,
was accepted by everyone. ♫
- The End

Well, the song is a lot shorter now.

Last edited:

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No Its not. It is a story about a flying reindeer with a red light for a nose.

Kids love it.

Stop.

If anything Its a story telling kids that if you don't quite fit in you can Still rise to great things