• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I thought it was fairly obvious it was a lighthearted video(you never can be sure I suppose) , some people made jokes about how brutal the world of Rudolph is, for some reason it becomes an article that makes people annoyed.
I can rarely ever tell with this videos whether it's meant to be lighthearted with this kind of videos.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Someone in my Facebook timeline had something about how Rudolph is problematic and we shouldn't only treat people who are different kindly if they provide some kind of social good.

I didn't bother to counter the argument there but I will here. Rudolph the TV show is actually less problematic than the song in this regard.

First off, yes, it shows Santa, Rudolph's Dad, and lots of other reindeer being total dicks. It shows the head elf being a total dick to Hermie. There are jerks in our society and that is reflected both in the song and in the show.

But the show does have Clarice, who doesn't think Rudolph's nose is a problem. She accepts him for what he is and thinks he's cute, regardless of what society thinks of him. That's awesome!

Then, in a MAJOR difference from the song, when Rudolph returns with Hermie after going to the island of Misfit Toys and escaping the Bumble, all of the jerks apologize to Rudolph and Hermie without knowing their "social benefit". Yes, it took Rudolph running away and nearly dying for people to understand the errors of their ways, but they came to that conclusion without Rudolph necessarily benefiting them otherwise. Santa even realizes his mistake with the Misfit Toys and promises to find them all a home.

Only at that point does the snowstorm become too fierce to fly and then Rudolph's nose saves the day. It's a minor difference, true. But the show makes it clear that Rudolph's acceptance from the society is separate from his heroism in saving Christmas.

So the song constructs a world where Rudolph's acceptance only comes with his usefulness, but the show doesn't have it that way. I think that is important and a message to pass on: we should accept those who are off from the physical or mental "norm" but when they are able to use their "abnormality " for good, we can absolutely celebrate them for that.

So yeah, that was a rant but I figured this was the place to rant about it lol.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The thing is you have to understand Rudolph is part a larger tv universe. You find out in a later that Rudolph red nose was given to him by Mother Nature for one day defeat evil. His not nose does not only light thing it's like a ducking red kamahamhame bent on saving the world.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
I dont know that movie, just the story from songs/tales. And for me personally it was always a good lesson:

Everyone who is different has something he can do very well and excel at.

I like the story especially for minorities, be it handicaped, special needs or whatever because it shows that you dont need to fit in (something our school system is build upon) but that your uniqueness is your strength.

Aug 27, 2018
You can see this movie in two ways, about how bullying is like totally okay...or how someone that is bullied overcame it and ended up being a hero. Stop trying to be mad about things.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It's parody on real life, right? Or, Is this how they feel good about themselves without addressing real-life issues? By searching old material and complaining about that because it can't be changed anyway? I see a lot of this lately.

Last edited:

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I get that this is a joke, but after the Charlie Brown thing I saw a few weeks ago, it's now literally impossible to tell.

Oct 28, 2017
Remember when Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer went to the prom and the bullies spilled pig's blood on him, and everyone just pointed and laughed?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Wtf is up with this year and going after decades old material and calling it "problematic" (when it really ain't, but whatever...). 2018 needs to end already

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
Fucks sake! Why does everything have to be dissected to find something to be outraged about?

Oct 26, 2017
deviation-from-the-norm-will-be-punished-unless-it-is-14183735.png

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If Problematic could come to life as a human being he would take on the body of Patrick Klepick

SaiyanRaoh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yeah, im pretty sure I'll never stop watching this no matter what people seek to destroy these days. To think, I used to laugh at the PC culture that the movie "Demolition Man" portrayed.....
We are headed there folks.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I watched it the other night, and I was taken aback by Santa openly shaming Rudolph's dad for Rudolph being that way. What the fuck is your problem, Santa?

It's certainly a different experience watching it as an adult in 2018.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I love that we are on Page 3 and still getting drive by "outrage" posts. Maybe those people will read at least the first page of the thread. Maybe.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California