• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Absolutely LOVES it.

Shame he will he back in the NRL in 2019. His too good for Superleague.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
  • New Zealand v France - Fantastic contest until the wrongly awarded yellow card poisoned the test, don't think the ref went to the TMO once all game? C;mon, that's what they're there for. How that got a card but this was only a penalty I'll never know (skull fractured in two places!): https://twitter.com/theblitzdefence/status/1005376322393268225
  • Australia v Ireland - The TMO buzzing down to disallow the try for earlier foul play was...odd. Thought it was harsh especially because 1) it didn't affect the try & 2) it really looked like Ian Henderson was going to receive the pass. Oh well, thought the Wallabies deserved to win in the end. Good to see Pocock back causing mayhem.
  • South Africa v England - Thought this was done & dusted after the first 20 minutes but the 'Boks shifted gears, led by squirrely de Klerk. Shouldn't be giving up a lead like that but I don't think it's panic stations for the Rose just yet. All of their losses have been close coming down to 1 or 2 plays/decisions. Daly grounds that ball behind their own line & they win that test.
  • Argentina v Wales - I have no idea how the Jaguares were on a 6 test winning streak playing like that, sluggishly pounding up the middle didn't work in the first 10 minutes so I'm not sure why they thought it'd work for 80. Welsh defense was an iron curtain, a dominating win.

Haven't seen Canada-Scotland yet (but I did tune into the Paris 7s in time to catch the latter toppling the Blitzboks :D), Italy fell to Japan as well. Is that a surprise? I don't really know...

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Schalk Brits, having retired from the game a few weeks ago, has just been called up by South Africa.

Shortest retirement ever?

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Couldnt watch ireland match, stopped watching wales v arg because it was so one sided, but eng v saffa was incredible! Glad to see south africa not a joke team anymore

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Well that red card has just finished off the NZ/France match. France had started off really well, too.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
  • New Zealand v France - Fantastic contest until the wrongly awarded yellow card poisoned the test, don't think the ref went to the TMO once all game? C;mon, that's what they're there for. How that got a card but this was only a penalty I'll never know (skull fractured in two places!): https://twitter.com/theblitzdefence/status/1005376322393268225
  • Australia v Ireland - The TMO buzzing down to disallow the try for earlier foul play was...odd. Thought it was harsh especially because 1) it didn't affect the try & 2) it really looked like Ian Henderson was going to receive the pass. Oh well, thought the Wallabies deserved to win in the end. Good to see Pocock back causing mayhem.
  • South Africa v England - Thought this was done & dusted after the first 20 minutes but the 'Boks shifted gears, led by squirrely de Klerk. Shouldn't be giving up a lead like that but I don't think it's panic stations for the Rose just yet. All of their losses have been close coming down to 1 or 2 plays/decisions. Daly grounds that ball behind their own line & they win that test.
  • Argentina v Wales - I have no idea how the Jaguares were on a 6 test winning streak playing like that, sluggishly pounding up the middle didn't work in the first 10 minutes so I'm not sure why they thought it'd work for 80. Welsh defense was an iron curtain, a dominating win.
Haven't seen Canada-Scotland yet (but I did tune into the Paris 7s in time to catch the latter toppling the Blitzboks :D), Italy fell to Japan as well. Is that a surprise? I don't really know...

They have beaten Japan this weekend - I'm already nervous about that final group game in the World Cup, but if Italy can beat them at home we should be able to. Emphasis on the should.

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
Solid win for Ireland there. A bit disappointed they didn't put themselves further ahead in the second half with all that possession and territory, but a really good performance in all. The third test should be a great match.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Some fucking awfully one sided refereeing in the England game.

I should clarify, England are still racking up penalties, but Poite has ignored an off the ball kick, two tackles around the neck and an off the ball hit to the head all by England. His reaction to all this is to tell both teams to calm down.

Last edited:

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Any other time id be prepped and ready to watch an ireland rugby match, shame it clashed with the world cup. Will catch highlights later, but good bounce backability as the young ones like to say now

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
He's not wrong - well, apart from putting it right next week. Something seems to be going very wrong in the England camp.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell, well done USA. What type of team did Scotland play, was it first choice?

Nope - centres had 2 caps, Barclay, Russell, Laidlaw, Gray brother, Huw Jones - all rested/injured, amongst others. No excuse though - this tour was about finding depth, players needed to beat US to put their hands up for the world cup and they didn't.

We were 21-6 up at one point. That's a scoreline any team should be seeing out.

Last edited:

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
  • Ugh at the french red card, completely deserved but...that's twice now a card has influenced the test, Les Bleus played extremely well with 14. That pack is scary, every time a Frenchman ran into contact you would see 1 or 2 All Blacks being bounced out of the way. Lineout still shocking (no idea they managed to overthrow a 4 man setup by ~15m but they did), there's a cracking test to be had between these two sides just waiting to burst out. Hopefully France can keep all their players on the pitch next week, they've looked as good as if not better than NZ when they do. Hope Beauden is ok!
  • Ireland righting the wrongs of last week, stifled the Wallabies throughout and starved them of possession. Not really sure why there wasn't a penalty for tackling in the air when Pocock was fallen on but, Australia can't complain - they were 2nd best in Melbourne. Jack Mcgrath's face during the hand in the ruck was priceless
  • England still struggling with indiscipline woes, what was Mako thinking with the head slap? Was a liability in the Lions 2nd test last year nad is so again here. Unsure why Cipriani wasn't run out earlier - entire complexion of England's game changed when took to the field. Can't fault South Africa from digging themselves out of a hole though, recall they were spectacularly bad in the run up to this test series and they appear to have turned their fortunes around magnificently.
  • Wales brought the hammer down on a poor Argentina side again, wasn't paying much attention to this one although the disallowed offside Welsh score was ace. No idea why Moriarty was acting surprised when red carded, dafuq did he think the end result of a rear-naked choke would be?

Haven't seen the Scotland test - sounds like the Eagles played out of their skin, congrats! Wonder how many of the new Scots caps will get the shirt again....

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
And Scotland's rollercoaster continues. 44-15 against (an admittedly weak) Argentina? Great first half, lost a bit of impetus in the second half but I would love to have a bit of consistency somewhere.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
love it, ball must've been like a greased ham in the 2nd half after the monsooning. Anyone see the spectacularly bad reffing in the France test? This series will be remembered for asinine officiating and little else.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Aussie era where is the Origin discussion?

NSW got a win after 4 years without.

QLD really should of won yesterday. Had enough field position and ball to win but just lacking in the halves. Ben Hunt was shocking!!

Congrats NSW. Freddy Fittler picked a good squad with so much pace in the team.

QLD losing Thurston, Cronk and Smith all at the same time just too much.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Well that was unexpected, although tbf I haven't seen Warbs in a Blues shirt for..like..ever:

British and Irish Lions captain Sam Warburton has retired from rugby at the age of 29 after winning 79 Test caps.

The former Wales captain has not played since leading the 2017 Lions to a drawn series against New Zealand.

The back-rower recently returned to Cardiff Blues training after being sidelined for 2017-18 by knee and neck surgery.

"My body is unable to give me back what I had hoped for on my return to training," said Warburton.

Great flanker, great Lions captain, didn't think he should've gotten the gig last year but his performances shut me right up.

---

Picked up my first tickets for the World Cup, too! Now just where exactly is Fukuoka....

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Wow - I might have expected a retirement from International rugby, but from all of it is pretty surprising. Great player and one that seemed to get respect from every team he played against, which is always a good hallmark. Also saw that Pivac has been announced as the next boss for Wales - seems like a good move and he will continue to make progress with the way Gatland has begun to get Wales to play.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Really excited for this season, think Leinster will continue being a force but dont expect them to retain the double. Semis in europe and a pro 14 title would be a good season

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really unsure about this season - can see it going horribly wrong or pretty good.

Edinburgh - hope they continue their upward trajectory under Cockerill. He's done a really good job so far, they've now got a bit of backbone to the team but there's a need to continue the form.

Glasgow - bit nervy, they seem to have peaked a year or so ago and need rejuvenating.

As usual with having only two pro teams, the issues will really start with injuries and when the International team is playing. I'm hoping the new semi-pro Super Six idea that has been set up will help boost the movement from amateur to Professional sides, but will need to see how it pans out. Scottish rugby seems to be doing well at the moment, which makes it the right time to do it but I can see the wheels coming off the cart.

International - we need to have a good season in the run up to the WC. I'd love some consistency but that isn't going to happen, so we need a good performance in the AIs, to be at least challenging for the Six Nations and have no major injuries. (Russell in France is my big worry...)

We beat Italy and Ireland at home in the first two games, plot a win against France away, beat Wales at home to set up a victory at Twickenham, giving us the Calcutta cup, Grand Slam and Triple Crown plus a first victory at Twickenham since 1983. Dream big!

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
That would certainly be unexpected but not unwelcome :). How we haven't been winning in Paris these last few years I don't know, at least.

Rugby Championship starts this weekend!

Edit: Somebody was selling Springboks-All Blacks world cup tickets for £1.78 on viagogo, pretty sure they meant to type £178. Mine now!

gir

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really unsure about this season - can see it going horribly wrong or pretty good.

Edinburgh - hope they continue their upward trajectory under Cockerill. He's done a really good job so far, they've now got a bit of backbone to the team but there's a need to continue the form.

Glasgow - bit nervy, they seem to have peaked a year or so ago and need rejuvenating.

As usual with having only two pro teams, the issues will really start with injuries and when the International team is playing. I'm hoping the new semi-pro Super Six idea that has been set up will help boost the movement from amateur to Professional sides, but will need to see how it pans out. Scottish rugby seems to be doing well at the moment, which makes it the right time to do it but I can see the wheels coming off the cart.

International - we need to have a good season in the run up to the WC. I'd love some consistency but that isn't going to happen, so we need a good performance in the AIs, to be at least challenging for the Six Nations and have no major injuries. (Russell in France is my big worry...)

We beat Italy and Ireland at home in the first two games, plot a win against France away, beat Wales at home to set up a victory at Twickenham, giving us the Calcutta cup, Grand Slam and Triple Crown plus a first victory at Twickenham since 1983. Dream big!
what do you think of scottish rugby's plan to bring young scottish players through newcastle? Very skeptical it will work

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
what do you think of scottish rugby's plan to bring young scottish players through newcastle? Very skeptical it will work

Like most of Scottish Rugby's ideas, it's trying to fix a problem with a method that could work but will probably fizzle out (see the Borders Reivers team...) The issue is that when you have Huw Jones only being picked up because a Warriors analyst happened to look at the Wikipedia page for Cape Town's University Rugby team - seriously - then we have a problem with developing and keeping talent. I am so jealous and impressed by the Irish system - you've managed the move to professionalism so well that it now keeps building, whereas we messed it up and only seem to be coming out of it now. But if we mess it up again, we'll be back to square one, whilst other nations move forward.

In Scotland up to this year, if you didn't get picked up by Glasgow or Edinburgh at about 18/19, that was it in Scotland. There was an interesting article on the Scottish Exiles programme a few years ago - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/31783522. If we had a good system that could help lots of promising youngsters through that would be great, but the Newcastle idea seems too little. I like the Super Six idea but as mentioned, worry it might fizzle out due to lack of interest, funds, determination to keep it going.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Like most of Scottish Rugby's ideas, it's trying to fix a problem with a method that could work but will probably fizzle out (see the Borders Reivers team...) The issue is that when you have Huw Jones only being picked up because a Warriors analyst happened to look at the Wikipedia page for Cape Town's University Rugby team - seriously - then we have a problem with developing and keeping talent. I am so jealous and impressed by the Irish system - you've managed the move to professionalism so well that it now keeps building, whereas we messed it up and only seem to be coming out of it now. But if we mess it up again, we'll be back to square one, whilst other nations move forward.

In Scotland up to this year, if you didn't get picked up by Glasgow or Edinburgh at about 18/19, that was it in Scotland. There was an interesting article on the Scottish Exiles programme a few years ago - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/31783522. If we had a good system that could help lots of promising youngsters through that would be great, but the Newcastle idea seems too little. I like the Super Six idea but as mentioned, worry it might fizzle out due to lack of interest, funds, determination to keep it going.
Could there ever be a third Scottish team or is there not enough interest?

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Could there ever be a third Scottish team or is there not enough interest?

There was the Scottish Borders team but a lack of funding, parochial nonsense from the towns in the Borders (for example, I'm legally required to call anyone from Jedburgh 'Jeddert scum' as I played for Kelso and they were our local rivals, whilst everyone hates Galashiels, which is where the team played rugby) meant that it's died a death every time they've tried. Which is a shame, as rugby is the sport of the Borders - I grew up never even touching a football - but it has such a small population and transport issues that it would take a lot of money and determination to make it happen. There has been some noise about putting a team up around Aberdeen, but this would require a lot of cash as well.

I did read somewhere that Scottish Rugby decided to put all it's money from professionalism into developing Murrayfield first, whereas Irish Rugby went teams first and then put extra away for Lansdowne Road but I'm not sure how true that is. Basically, I think Scotland could have another team but every year it takes more cash and more people wanting to make it work.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
There was the Scottish Borders team but a lack of funding, parochial nonsense from the towns in the Borders (for example, I'm legally required to call anyone from Jedburgh 'Jeddert scum' as I played for Kelso and they were our local rivals, whilst everyone hates Galashiels, which is where the team played rugby) meant that it's died a death every time they've tried. Which is a shame, as rugby is the sport of the Borders - I grew up never even touching a football - but it has such a small population and transport issues that it would take a lot of money and determination to make it happen. There has been some noise about putting a team up around Aberdeen, but this would require a lot of cash as well.

I did read somewhere that Scottish Rugby decided to put all it's money from professionalism into developing Murrayfield first, whereas Irish Rugby went teams first and then put extra away for Lansdowne Road but I'm not sure how true that is. Basically, I think Scotland could have another team but every year it takes more cash and more people wanting to make it work.
how does the school and club network work atm in Scotland, is it like Ireland where all schools in Leinster are part of the leinster network?

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
how does the school and club network work atm in Scotland, is it like Ireland where all schools in Leinster are part of the leinster network?

Kind of, but the best explanation I can find is here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40838389

Still confusing as all out, but basically there are four regions which will be linked geographically, then move upwards to the two professional teams. So like Ireland but without four clear teams at the top!

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of, but the best explanation I can find is here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/40838389

Still confusing as all out, but basically there are four regions which will be linked geographically, then move upwards to the two professional teams. So like Ireland but without four clear teams at the top!
think you'll lose a lot of talent that way, hence why I can see the newcastle plan make sense. Could see english teams snatching talent away for cheap salaries, who won't want to wait around and wait for a limited spot on only 2 teams

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
think you'll lose a lot of talent that way, hence why I can see the newcastle plan make sense. Could see english teams snatching talent away for cheap salaries, who won't want to wait around and wait for a limited spot on only 2 teams

Yep and the loss of talent is one of the main problems with Scottish Rugby. It was worse before this restructuring - basically if you didn't get one of the Pro teams you ended up playing completely amateur rugby. It's a step in the right direction though.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Yep and the loss of talent is one of the main problems with Scottish Rugby. It was worse before this restructuring - basically if you didn't get one of the Pro teams you ended up playing completely amateur rugby. It's a step in the right direction though.
aye, and even despite how well thing's are going in Ireland, definitely competition between the provinces has decreased. Unless they change something, the teams could become Leinster, Leinster B aka Munster, etc. as Leinster is producing talent at a frightening rate but dont have the space to keep and are just shipped around the provinces to develop

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Saw that this morning. Pretty sure that's his international career over. Candidate for I'm a Celeb in 2022?

gir

Oct 25, 2017
the surprise isn't that this happened, the surprise is england allowed him back in thinking he would change

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Rugby is back!

Edinburgh lost, but I like Cockerill's blunt honesty: they could have snatched it at the end but '..got exactly what we deserved.' One of Edinburgh's issues over the years has been a willingness to roll over and accept defeat. He started to put steel into them last season and needs to continue this.

Glasgow's game seems to have been a nail biter - Hogg with a drop goal to win, but Connacht had a penalty at the end which came off the posts. Organised chaos is, after all, the Scottish way. Coming back from 9 points behind with Adam Hastings in the Sin Bin shows they still have belief.

Oh, and Cipriani's pass was awesome.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Heh, quality.

Ospreys were pretty woeful, just slightly less so than Edinburgh whom continually knocked-on or were turned over once getting within 5m of the try line.

Been watching on my shiny new Premier Sports app, only £9.99 per month! As the continual bombardment of Facebook ads says...

kharma45

Oct 26, 2017
Heh, quality.

Ospreys were pretty woeful, just slightly less so than Edinburgh whom continually knocked-on or were turned over once getting within 5m of the try line.

Been watching on my shiny new Premier Sports app, only £9.99 per month! As the continual bombardment of Facebook ads says...

Thankfully S4C (and hopefully TG4) still have some games. Need to brush up on my Welsh mind... Was able to get the Ulster game on it yesterday.

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't posted in here for ages!

Sarries rather fortunate to win yesterday but I'll take it. Definitely got the rub of the green with some of the decisions. Will Skelton looked properly good which was encouraging.

Refereed my first couple of games of the season, going well so far! Really big season for me in that regard, aiming to try and kick on and make it to refereeing some National League games next season.