• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It is a big loss but luckily Wales doesn't have an absence of great wings and arguably much better ones of defence.

Last edited:

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Did not see this coming

View: https://x.com/gloucesterrugby/status/1747236459201896479?s=20

Louis Rees-Zammitt quitting rugby with immediate effect to join the NFL pathway.

Yeah big shock.

I get the ambition and that he's young and all that, but isn't the success rate in converting from rugby to NFL essentially zero? Seems like a huge task, especially for a winger and with his sort of build (I say this knowing very little about AF to be fair).

I was reading up on Christian Wade who did the same a few years ago and it sounds like he just sat in practice squads for a few years and then got released by whatever team he was in. Good luck to LRZ but hopefully he's not throwing away the best years of his rugby career to sit on a bench doing nothing.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty excited for the 6N documentary on Netflix tonorrrow - particularly given it starts with England Scotland!

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I've been watching episode 1 and so am interested in how much they are pushing Marcus Smith given how out of favour he has been in selection.

I feel like this might not be for me so far because it doesn't seem to be as much about the rugby as I'd like.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah - watched episode 1 and although it's interesting seeing a bit behinds the scenes, there is nothing about the actual playing of rugby at the moment; the actual systems/tactics so far are missing so far.

All you would know at the moment is that there's a few people running around and then a 10 does something special/makes a mistake

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I'm watching the Netflix documentary and tbh without knowing much about the game I feel its pretty lacking at explaining some basic things.

Like I'm in the last episode and I still don't know how.many points you het for what? Like how many points for winning the game etc. I've gathered is variable lol

Also almost no mention of things like the Triple Crown etc. They focus on the overall champioship but I thought that there's way more than that, right? Those other titles are quite important, for what I recall?

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching the Netflix documentary and tbh without knowing much about the game I feel its pretty lacking at explaining some basic things.

Like I'm in the last episode and I still don't know how.many points you het for what? Like how many points for winning the game etc. I've gathered is variable lol

Also almost no mention of things like the Triple Crown etc. They focus on the overall champioship but I thought that there's way more than that, right? Those other titles are quite important, for what I recall?

The points system is odd in rugby and it's one of those things I think they might have ignored because as soon as you explain it people's eyes start to glaze over.

In game - 5 for a try (touching the ball down over the try line) and then 2 if you make the conversion.
Penalty kicks and drop goals - 3 points

After the game - if you've scored 4 tries you get 1 point in the table, win or lose.
If you've lost but are within 7 points in the game, 1 point in the table.
Winning = 4 points in the table
Drawing = 2 points

There are trophies in between different teams that are important (Calcutta Cup is only between England and Scotland for example, Triple Crown is England, Wales, Ireland and Scotland) but again could add confusion - Scotland could win the Calcutta Cup and the Triple Crown but lose the 6 Nations to France/Italy

Basically - it's been around so long that there are tonnes of weird nuances that they've clearly decided not to talk about and focus on the players. Which can be interesting but removes a lot of the context. It's bizarre they can have eight episodes and not mention a scrum.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
It is a worthwhile watch then? I've seen mixed things.

If the interaction with the actual rugby is very surface level then I probably won't bother with it - I'm not really interested in some "its all about the passion" narrative.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Predictions as a full teaching day tomorrow and parents evening - with first game on Friday wanted to get them in!

France Ireland. Really tough to call, both have lost talismanic players in Dupont and Sexton, both have things to prove after early exits than wanted in the WC. Home advantage to swing it just for France

England Italy. Even with all the injuries, England should win this although I would be amused to see reactions if Italy got a win.

Wales Scotland. Our record at the Principality is poor, we have gone there before confident of winning and completely shat the bed and so this game terrifies me. Scotland should be able to win it but I won't be sure until it's over.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Maybe I'm being delusional but I fancy Wales to beat Scotland at home. Young squad yes, but they way overperformed at the WC and that will have given them confidence. I don't think we'll win many other games this year, but I fancy that one.

Also have Scotland ever beat a Gatland Wales team away? I can't ever remember it.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I'm being delusional but I fancy Wales to beat Scotland at home. Young squad yes, but they way overperformed at the WC and that will have given them confidence. I don't think we'll win many other games this year, but I fancy that one.

Also have Scotland ever beat a Gatland Wales team away? I can't ever remember it.

The youth bit worries me - if Wales go ahead then confidence and the crowd will grow and it will be very difficult to come back from; we also have issues with trying to force it early. I'd like to see Scotland play a controlled game that just keeps the points ticking over but that isn't the way of Scotland.

And no, we've never beaten a Gatland Wales away - only time we've won away recently was the Covid game at Llanelli. Only time we've beaten Gatland was last year.

I can easily see Wales winning.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think France win. Sexton is the bigger loss imo.

England will easily beat Italy. I think Italy are going ti get absolutely decimated, be written off but then have some bigger upsets later in the tournament.

Whatever happens with Scotland and Wales, it will be close. Scotland will have a psychological barrier to overcome and the inexperience with the Welsh side could be both a blessing and a curse for them. In my heart I want Wales to win (obviously) but I truly believe Scotland can come as high as third this tournament and they'll need to beat Wales to do that. I will begrudgingly pick Scotland to win.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
One side effect of Wales's squad being so inexperienced is we don't really know who's going to play in a few positions.

Fly half for example I have no idea who first choice is; I guess Costelow went to the World Cup so it's him, but he was a bit crap when he played.

Back row is probably going to be Wainwright, Reffell and ?????

Do you put Josh Adams at fullback or throw Winnett in? If Adams does go FB, who's on the wing alongside Dyer? Are we switching North back there now?

Seems like there's a lot of places up for grabs at the moment which could, as you guys say, a blessing or a curse.

I'm expecting a few "wtf" decisions when the team is announced tomorrow.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is a red tbh… Hard to argue against it. Shame.

France seem to be having a shocker.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
What's going on? France look completely lacklustre and Ireland look clinical.

Thought it'd be a much better contest than this.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Thank GOD for that second try. Was worried all that possession would be for nowt.

We should really be 3 or 4 scores ahead by now. France have been dreadful.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Wtf what a stupid thing to do after just coming back on…

Probably game over now. France barely looked like getting back into this with 15, let alone 14.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Really shocking from France. Terrible drop off in quality between this and the World Cup.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, I was hoping for a better game. France look so out of sorts that it's hard to see anything really interesting happening in the rest of the match.

Penaud likes to score tries

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

This game should be won by half-time. I hope we're not gonna regret not putting more points on the board.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm someone ! I forgot that we had a rugby OT, but maybe that'll make more people watch the games !

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
George North retiring from international rugby now too. I suppose the selections last week make a lot more sense now. Personally I will miss North but ever since he moved to centre it just seems like he hasn't t playing the rugby he truly enjoys on the wings so I can see why he might not want to carry on.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Brilliant memories of North as a Lion and he was incredible for Wales. Will get an absolutely amazing reaction for his last match this weekend

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
George North retiring from international rugby now too. I suppose the selections last week make a lot more sense now. Personally I will miss North but ever since he moved to centre it just seems like he hasn't t playing the rugby he truly enjoys on the wings so I can see why he might not want to carry on.

I always saw it more as him losing a bit of pace as he got older and that's why he moved to centre. I think he wouldn't have been the same player he was a decade ago, regardless where he played. And Wales have needed centres more than wingers the last few years.