• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MadAboutEwe

Oct 27, 2017
Agree - it's a game that I can see going either way at the moment. I think a lot of the Scottish fans smelling of themselves (great phrase by the way, never heard it before) is a combination of the fact that we have been, quite honestly, dire for about a decade at least and that things are obviously changing for the better
The big mental block for Scotland is England. I know all too well that the promise Wales would show meant nothing until we beat England. Then the championships and Grand Slams came.

If Scotland beat England, all bets are off. Sky's the limits.

MadAboutEwe

Oct 27, 2017
That was almost a spectacular bottle job by the Welsh.
I'll take it. If you look at the Wales NFL style depth chart, we had 4th choice players in 2 positions, 3rd choice in 3 more positions, and 2nd choice in 5 positions. Whilst also trying to implement a new style.

Not like we have a great record against SANZA nations, so I'll take it.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
mental block for Scotland is England.

Problem is that England know exactly what to do against us. Up the jumper, keep it close and starve us of ball. Scotland have never really had a game plan/set of players to fully combat it - and they don't now.

Good win by the way - Wales look like they can play but sometimes go into their shell, need to be confident in the new system.

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Sarries really need to beat quins today, we've been having a shocker in our last few matches.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Glasgow win, Edinburgh win, what's not to like? Didn't get a good view of the Blues red card, though, the Warriors were in a fight up until then.

Wales did their best to throw it away against the 2nd worst Springboks side of all time (2016's were 1st) but who cares? As the great 21st century soliloquist & poet Vin Diesel once opined: "It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile." A win is a win, Scotland move up in the rankings to 5th, as well.

Thought England had the Kangaroos on the ropes in the final 10 minutes of the RLWC, they were there for the taking. No idea why some of those grubber kicks were made in the early phases, they had an inside overlap at the death, too, so close!

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Shame that Glasgow's European season is over - would like to see them go far one day. Also, WP Nel out until last couple of matches of Six Nations - hope he's not going to be a player that will never hit the heights possible due to injury!

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Shame that Glasgow's European season is over - would like to see them go far one day. Also, WP Nel out until last couple of matches of Six Nations - hope he's not going to be a player that will never hit the heights possible due to injury!

Both of those are real bummers :(

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Glasgow played themselves with that first yellow card, nonsensical move. Pity the Edinburgh game wasn't televised anywhere and the Northampton-Ospreys game was a maelstrom of insanity for the last 20 minutes.

Scotland got dumped out of the Sevens by Spain of all teams, pretty dire.

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
After being called off because of the snow, Saracens v Clermont will apparently be played this evening.

I could get on board with Monday Night Rugby :P

schatuk

Oct 25, 2017
After being called off because of the snow, Saracens v Clermont will apparently be played this evening.

I could get on board with Monday Night Rugby :P

They went to great pains to state that yesterday the issue was with the approaches to the stadium and access for the public rather than the playing surface and now they're playing behind closed doors tonight. Why not just do that yesterday?

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
They went to great pains to state that yesterday the issue was with the approaches to the stadium and access for the public rather than the playing surface and now they're playing behind closed doors tonight. Why not just do that yesterday?

They've actually now announced that fans will be able to attend, so I guess it was worth it?

Abicus

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
We have a Rugby League ERA?! I suppose Union is alright :p

Not much to talk about in League circles with both major comps in pre-season. The World Cup was solid, Tonga were amazing.

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
We have a Rugby League ERA?! I suppose Union is alright :p

Not much to talk about in League circles with both major comps in pre-season. The World Cup was solid, Tonga were amazing.

They were, put in an absolutely cracking performance.

The nice thing about rugby is between Union and League there's rugby all year round :P

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
That's why I think the Wales match is going to be bigged up by both sides - also that we all know that a win in the first match is important!
Sounds arrogant, but nobody in Wales gives a sh*t if the Scots were upset that our head coach didn't pick many Scots.
I guess you'll use it to for motivation, but in Wales I'd be surprised if it gets mentioned at all.

However, I think you'll beat us. We are dire

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds arrogant, but nobody in Wales gives a sh*t if the Scots were upset that our head coach didn't pick many Scots.
I guess you'll use it to for motivation, but in Wales I'd be surprised if it gets mentioned at all.

However, I think you'll beat us. We are dire

Fair enough - was looking at it from a Scots perspective where I think a lot of people like the Welsh team (although I really don't like the attitude of Biggar) but dislike Gatland.

It's actually the game I'm most worried about - we should beat France and Italy fairly comfortably - we have France at home. England and Ireland I'd like to get a result against but can see them strangling us out of the match.

Wales are the team that I feel we're roughly on a par with - they have a history of poor AI matches and then turning it on in the Six Nations, whereas Scotland have a history of looking like they're doing better during the AIs and then having a poor Six Nations. If we lose the match against Wales that will be the narrative again and I feel Scotland are better than that this time around.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
leinster surprised me this weekend with an unexpectedly good result, will make for an exciting 2nd match this weekend, will enjoy being at the match

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland vs Wales 6N sold out in minutes... :( Got Italy tix though, that's just as good, right?

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Sold out already? That's nuts, guess the Aviva stadium missing (almost) a stand's worth of seats doesn't make it any easier.

I have had great success getting tickets through being a member of a rugby club (only reason I still have a membership with Ayr RFC despite living in London), will be going to all of Scotland's 6N tests bar Ireland. No idea how my father keeps getting us home season passes at Murrayfield, might be debenture related...

gir

Oct 25, 2017
only been two rounds so far, province season ticket holders' lottery and irfu club members. Got IRE vs SCO through the season ticket holders' lottery and the IRE VS ITA through the irfu club members presale. There's a public sale this thursday, will try for the wales tickets then but not so confident given today...

MadAboutEwe

Oct 27, 2017
Warren Gatland has reportedly been approached by Northampton about taking over from Mallinder.

As a Welshman, I'm ok with this. Wales needs a new regime.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Warren Gatland has reportedly been approached by Northampton about taking over from Mallinder.

As a Welshman, I'm ok with this. Wales needs a new regime.

Hasn't he been pretty adamant about staying until the next World Cup? Agree though - Wales need something new.

On another note, all the BBC rugby news seems to be about people likely to miss the start of the Six Nations due to injuries. It seems to get worse each year.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Bit late but did anybody else watch leinster vs exeter from the weekend? What a match!

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Just put on BBC Alba - Glasgow 7-3 up on Edinburgh, Edinburgh have a man sent off. Glasgow should win easily from here.

Still 7-3 at half time - Glasgow wasting chances.

Last edited:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
And Glasgow lose 18-17! Cockerill is doing well at Edinburgh, Glasgow should be embarrassed with the amount of chances they let go.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Win for Glasgow today - 17-0. Slightly worried that a much vaunted Scottish backline can't do more, but hopeful this is simply the Cockerill affect on Edinburgh...please?

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Just put on BBC Alba - Glasgow 7-3 up on Edinburgh, Edinburgh have a man sent off. Glasgow should win easily from here.

Still 7-3 at half time - Glasgow wasting chances.

Hah, we were at that game - Canadian gf is mystified that we don't play any anthems at club level.Warriors were terrible, didn't play to the whistle and lost because of it. Edinburgh wanted it more even with the deserved red.

yjRQr5Y.jpg

Didn't see the replay at Scotstoun but heard about the shenanigans with the fire alarm?

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't watch Rugby at all, but I wanted tk make you guys jealous. I spoke to Sir Clive Woodward yesterday.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only jealous if you asked him about two things.

1) how his lions tour went with Alistair Campbell?
‭2) is it true he advised Wilkinson to go for a drop kick in 2003 and Wilkinson went 'No shit, Clive'?

Metalix - saw the replay of the fire alarm incident. Players seemed very confused and went off and as it was with only 1:30 left of the first half, they decided after 30min of waiting for the fire brigade to give the all clear just to start the second half.

Last edited:

gir

Oct 25, 2017
gosub has his head on right.

Also, the irish pro 14 matches yesterday were a cracker with Leinster in fine form. Hoping for semis in europe!

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I heckled him on Twitter earlier in the year when he picked England to win the Calcutta Cup.

Whelp, turns out there's a reason he has a RWC & I don't.
Looool. He sounds like a nice and normal guy. Doesn't care whether you call him Sir or not. I was surprised I spoke with them directly and not their PA or anything (guess they don't have one).

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Looool. He sounds like a nice and normal guy. Doesn't care whether you call him Sir or not. I was surprised I spoke with them directly and not their PA or anything (guess they don't have one).

Interesting - on television and in news interviews he comes across as a bit of a know it all who seems to think he's the best coach ever, when most people recognise the 2003 England team was a really good bunch of players, coming through at exactly the right time. It's not that he's a bad coach but he seems to think he was above everything. In the 2003 Lions tour he annoyed a lot of people by quite clearly dividing the A Team v the B team - the following article is a pretty good read about the whole shambles.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...-new-zealand-alastair-campbell-clive-woodward

Although, I know I have a not so subtle bias against the English when it comes to rugby - my wife hates it as she says it's the only time I become a Neanderthal type bloke when watching rugby.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting - on television and in news interviews he comes across as a bit of a know it all who seems to think he's the best coach ever, when most people recognise the 2003 England team was a really good bunch of players, coming through at exactly the right time. It's not that he's a bad coach but he seems to think he was above everything. In the 2003 Lions tour he annoyed a lot of people by quite clearly dividing the A Team v the B team - the following article is a pretty good read about the whole shambles.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...-new-zealand-alastair-campbell-clive-woodward

Although, I know I have a not so subtle bias against the English when it comes to rugby - my wife hates it as she says it's the only time I become a Neanderthal type bloke when watching rugby.

Haha I am clueless about Rugby. It does take my interest whenever it's on free national TV though like Six Nations. Maybe I'll take a closer look this year.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Great winter for Leinster, 3 wins against the other Irish teams. Feeling very confident ahead of going to the European match against Glasgow. Will be tight, but predict a win for Leinster. Hope it's not freezing or raining

Oct 31, 2017
Great winter for Leinster, 3 wins against the other Irish teams. Feeling very confident ahead of going to the European match against Glasgow. Will be tight, but predict a win for Leinster. Hope it's not freezing or raining
Glasgow will likely rest some players so Leinster should be looking for a bonus point win on Sunday. Looking at the other European fixtures this weekend I think the pick of the games are these:

Bath - Scarlets
Ulster - La Rochelle
Exeter - Montpellier
Ospreys - Saracens
Racing - Munster

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Saracens need probably 9 points from the two games in order to make it through, going to be a big ask.