• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
All I know is the six nations is going to be veeery interesting. Thank God Wales have England and Ireland at home.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Just back from Ireland v USA, some beautiful tries scored. Great effort from the states, but they fell away in the 2nd half.

Very excited for the 6N now!

Faddy

Oct 25, 2017
Faddy CeeCee gosublime

Yours boys should have lost that on peno kicks to argentina

I saw the first 20 minutes on TV and about 10 minutes to the try and then Laidlaw miss the kick at the end on my phone. Didn't look like much in the game and we didn't have much attack with Hastings at 10 compared to Russell. Weather didn't suit sharp passing today by the looks of it.

I wonder how much we will see Russell and Hastings together in the 6 nations. I would rather stick with Dunbar at 12.

Also I would like to express my love of Niko Matawalu.

Last edited:

gir

Oct 25, 2017
I saw the first 20 minutes on TV and about 10 minutes to the try and then Laidlaw miss the kick at the end on my phone. Didn't look like much in the game and we didn't have much attack with Hastings at 10 compared to Russell. Weather didn't suit sharp passing today by the looks of it.

I wonder how much we will see Russell and Hastings together in the 6 nations. I would rather stick with Dunbar at 12.

Also I would like to express my love of Niko Matawalu.

Hastings had a poor match, played a lot better after he went off

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
God ireland need to do everything to keep saint joe

Sorry mate - just saw he's going after World Cup with Farrell to take over.

I feel that Ireland will play their heart out for him this World Cup - it makes it all very tasty though, as Gatland will want to get a World Cup win as well. Ireland Wales in the Six Nations could be a tense affair!

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
That Scotland-Argentina test was a proper mire, coupled with the rain before getting into the stadium made for a literal & figurative damp affair. Whole North stand was stunned when Finn screwed up the quick tap from the 22-drop out :x. Wales looked pretty in control against the 'Boks for the whole game, thought the Eagles played great against Ireland in the first half before falling away. 80 min performances will come! Farrel's shoulder's are going to cost England a game at some point. Going to watch France-Fiji later, what the heck happened there...

World Cup ticket ballot came out today, got England-Argentina & Scotland-Ireland sewn up. Convinced my sister to apply as well to increase out odds and the chancer got New Zealand-South Africa and Australia-Wales! Not a bad haul, just missing a test involving Japan now.

Hello from Murrayfield!

gOT2b3n.jpg

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry mate - just saw he's going after World Cup with Farrell to take over.

I feel that Ireland will play their heart out for him this World Cup - it makes it all very tasty though, as Gatland will want to get a World Cup win as well. Ireland Wales in the Six Nations could be a tense affair!
yeah, it's all over :'(.

Being serious, Andy Farrell is a good choice, in the set up and some say he was the one who masterminded the defence against the all blacks.

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Looking at next year's schedule, it seems mad that we've got three Ireland/Wales fixtures and three England/Wales fixtures even before the World Cup starts. I hope the coaches use these to mix and match a bit, because otherwise I'll be all rugbied-out before Japan. Seems to me it diminishes the Six Nations somewhat.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at next year's schedule, it seems mad that we've got three Ireland/Wales fixtures and three England/Wales fixtures even before the World Cup starts. I hope the coaches use these to mix and match a bit, because otherwise I'll be all rugbied-out before Japan. Seems to me it diminishes the Six Nations somewhat.
Im ok with it the year of a world cup, all training exercises really before the main piece

Thraktor

Oct 25, 2017
The depth in the Leinster squad at the moment is pretty crazy. They've put out teams comprised basically of a bunch of kids for the past two weeks, and still scored 16 tries across the two matches, winning both by 40+ points. Lots to look forward to in the years ahead if they stick around (although I wouldn't be surprised to see the other Irish provinces poach a few of them).

gir

Oct 25, 2017
The depth in the Leinster squad at the moment is pretty crazy. They've put out teams comprised basically of a bunch of kids for the past two weeks, and still scored 16 tries across the two matches, winning both by 40+ points. Lots to look forward to in the years ahead if they stick around (although I wouldn't be surprised to see the other Irish provinces poach a few of them).
The other Irish provinces are licking their lips and fantasising about how theyre going to get and use these young boys

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I know that nobody will be posting much until Feb, but Cockerill has done such a fine job with Edinburgh that it deserves a special mention. Also, the offloads in the victory over Toulon are pure class!

gir

Oct 25, 2017
I know that nobody will be posting much until Feb, but Cockerill has done such a fine job with Edinburgh that it deserves a special mention. Also, the offloads in the victory over Toulon are pure class!

Cant believe its nearly the best time of year again, 6N time!

Also, it is said all the time, but leinsters strength in depth is fucking ridiculous. If they dont win europe again, then i would say they underperformed this season

Shorty11857

Oct 25, 2017
Well that was a saga, finally got to try to purchase tickets and my bank blocked my payment. Spent half an hour on the phone getting them to unblock it, only to accidentally select Post instead of eTicket, $40 for post yay!

But more importantly now to figure out if I can actually afford to go!

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Haha, I just read you explaining the same thing on Reddit XD. Can't wait for the May resale marketplace now, we have a crazy ticket surplus & I'm itching to toss some back into the wild. The 6 ticket per person limit is so irritating when there's 7 of us going...

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
So, Glasgow and Edinburgh through to the quarter finals for the first time ever (I think). Cockerill has been amazing, but I hope Hamish Watson is okay...

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
That's fantastic, hopefully bodes well for Scotland in the six nations and World Cup.

Our bloody injury list though...

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Do. Not. Start. Getting. Hopes. Up.

Dammit, there's no fun in that!

Got to fancy Ireland overall, and particularly against England if the weather turns out as crap as is forecast. Scotland will, I think, do well out of having Italy up first - give them a bit of a boost, though I expect Italy at some stage of the tournament to string together two consecutive good halves in the same match for a change.

Very nervous about France v Wales - I don't know much about this French side, but Wales always seem to start poorly and improve as the weeks go by.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
My worry is that Italy have always targeted Scotland as a possible win. They will string two halves together and it would completely scupper the progress Scotland has made - with our injury list I'm worried about that first game and doing our usual one step forward, two steps back routine.

Can't see anyone else than Ireland taking it, though.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
As long as we don't give away a penalty in our own half within the first 30s (as per tradition) we should be gold.

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
CeeCee , you gonna get that thread title changed or what?

Meanwhile, being as I'm down with flu and bored I've poked through the ESPN Statsguru for Italy's performance half-by-half since the start of the six nations. Though they've only won-or-drawn 13 matches out of 95 since 2000, they've won-or-drawn 45 halves (out of 190) which isn't too shabby. Much to my surprise, that breaks down pretty evenly as 22 first halves and 23 second halves.

That is in sharp contrast to Wales, who I've always thought of as a second-half backs-against-the-wall type of team, who won-or-drew 49 first halves and 57 second halves.

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Thread title is changed.

I'm pretty pessimistic about Scotland's chances to be honest. We're only a couple more injuries away from me getting called up :P

gir

Oct 25, 2017
in Ireland, Virgin media sports is reshowing all the matches from last year, getting very excited!

CeeCee if scotland finish third again ahead of england, think it will be a good year for you lot

phisheep if wales compete with ireland for the title for the duration of the tourney, regardless of grand slam status, will be a good tourney for them.

for ireland, retaining the title even without a grand slam (3 away games, inc one to wales, doubt they will pull off a grand slam), I would be happy

for england, well anything better than 5th, but realistically top 3 and challenging for the title should be their goal

gir

Oct 25, 2017
to get you all stoked

EDIT: new video form squidge rugby, to anyone who hasn't watched him, makes great short videos breaking down key aspects of matches and players, if you follow rugby union then you he is well worth a subscribe on youtube

Last edited:

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Never knew there was a Rugby thread on Era... Hi everyone! Absolutely cannot wait for tomorrow night!

Wish everyone hadn't started talking about Wales being under the radar last year, because now we're very much on the radar and it's making me nervous.

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Never knew there was a Rugby thread on Era... Hi everyone! Absolutely cannot wait for tomorrow night!

Wish everyone hadn't started talking about Wales being under the radar last year, because now we're very much on the radar and it's making me nervous.

Ah, thank goodness there's another Welshman here. Just be warned that we two are surrounded by Scots and Irish, but they are all nice chaps really.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Planted a bet on Wales to get it done at the Stade tomorrow, still think Les Bleus are in disarray after the lackluster Autumn. Ireland & England at home as well, the more I think about it, the more likely the Dragons taking the championship appears.