• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Such an annoyingly rubbish first half from Wales (and they do it every damn tournament). There's the handling errors - but, yeah, it rains in Wales sometimes too, Anscombe kicking out on the full, Liam Williams losing that ball before the try line ...

... but the worst one for me was about 25 minutes in where France dropped the ball and a Welsh boot kicked it forward almost to the goal line and every single Welsh player stood still and waved their arms at the referee instead of chasing the damn ball. Five of them were in position to chase and not one did until too late and France cleared. Would have been a try for sure.

Why do they do this to me?

Good recovery in the second half, but lucky to get the scores, lucky too that France missed all those kicks in the first half. Not all teams will be that generous. They'll not beat Ireland or England playing like that.

France have the makings of a really good team here. They'll be out for some vengeance in the next few weeks I should think.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Gatland apparently said Wales are a team that has 'probably forgotten how to lose'

10 wins in a row is great but there was a lot of luck in that win.

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
So good he said it twice in the same interview!

The luck was, I think, not all one way - you can balance out 2 George Norths against one Liam Wiliiams and one Moriarty.

Still not a great performance though - not even a good one taken as a whole.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see the first half - all I got was France imploding. In fact, the moment I turned on was the first North try!

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Wales had a stinker first half, france had a stinker 2nd half. The diff between the 2 yesterday was that wales made less mistakes in the first half than france did in the 2nd. Would agree with ROGs anaylsis that north got himself in the right position to capitalise on the french mistakes, so kudos to him for that.

How much will scotland hockey italy today?

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Missing the first half is probably a sound strategy when watching Wales.

If I were Wales coach I'd have them practise playing three halves back-to-back, then in in a real match tell'em to start at the second one.

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Wales had a stinker first half, france had a stinker 2nd half. The diff between the 2 yesterday was that wales made less mistakes in the first half than france did in the 2nd. Would agree with ROGs anaylsis that north got himself in the right position to capitalise on the french mistakes, so kudos to him for that.

With our injuries, I'd take any non-stressful win!

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017

I don't that is quite right. By my counting Wales made about three times *more* mistakes in the first half than France did in the second. It's mostly that France didn't capitalise on them enough - maybe because they were ahead anyway.

As for Scotland/Italy, I reckon it'll be about 15-15 at half time, then Sco sneak ahead and get it by 34-19 or so.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
With our injuries, I'd take any non-stressful win!

Italy are improving with the youth coming through, but at home scotland should get the bonus point TBH

I don't that is quite right. By my counting Wales made about three times *more* mistakes in the first half than France did in the second. It's mostly that France didn't capitalise on them enough - maybe because they were ahead anyway.

As for Scotland/Italy, I reckon it'll be about 15-15 at half time, then Sco sneak ahead and get it by 34-19 or so.

Actually rethinking it, think youre right. Less about the mistakes made, and who capitalised on those mistakes. With the 3 pens they missed, france would have won

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Decent start so far, Skinner injured though.

We're not going to have a back row left at this rate.

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Italian defence holding up very well in open play, so Scots having to go round the outside - and kept trying the outside route even when they had that one line break. Italy doing the same when they have the ball. Both sides need something a bit more cutting in midfield. Scrum is rubbish. Either side could break out next half, but Scotland look the better bet.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Just saw a Guinness poster in Leeds:

You don't pick a side. Your grandparents did that for you.

True true

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Here is my thing about yesterday. Wales played like shit in the first half, but that was mostly because they didn't match their strategy to the appalling weather. They were trying the offload game, backhands etc in a game that didn't need it. In the end, they should have played boring, sensible rugby.

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely beautiful stuff from Ritchie and Kinghorn! Bonus point and hat trick time :D

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Good to get some of the mor inexperienced players a decent amount of game time now the result is secure

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Shame about the last 10 minutes being a bit of a shitshow, good performance overall though.

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
... absolutely no idea what we're going to see in this one though ...

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of consistency it's the correct decision, same as the Scotland one earlier.

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Sheesh. That half went by in a flash - so much going on. England discipline might cost them if Ireland can put enough pressure on.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
England's kicking game has been on point today.

Edit: I think that's game unless Ireland can up their game. Whatever happens, Ireland have to score next.

Last edited:

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Ireland have been fucking awful today. England deservedly going to win this.

How do you not check that forward pass, though?!

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Pass was flat, not forward. Would have stood on review.

It's the direction of the ball relative to the passer, not the absolute direction.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Tbf though eng have absorbed all of irelands pressure bar the try, played out of their skins

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Think irelands backs have had a stinker too bar ringrose, esp the back 3 and murray

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Well, it's a long time since I've been actually impressed with an England performance, but that was a cracker. Excellent line speed, lovely kicking game. Ireland just didn't seem to able to switch it on, very pedestrian along the line. Cracker of a game to watch.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoyed that though, congrats to england, best performance ive seen from them in a while.

Ireland dont need to panic, but do need to have a think about what lost them the match