• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Wales play ire and eng in cardiff, arguably wales' grand slam to lose

Not really a compelling argument, given that it involves playing England and Ireland at all!

There are only two games in this 6N that are previews of World Cup pool games. One, Scotland v Ireland, we saw yesterday - this next one is the other. Both teams will be looking to put down a marker for the group.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Brutal. Hard to see how France can come back from this one.

EDIT: and moments later, French try!

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
It's like France didn't watch the Ireland-England game, certainly didn't learn from it. Marvellous display by England, and not easy to counter.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I much prefer the BBC coverage. A lot of that might be because it doesn't have Clive 'I won the world cup' Woodward, but I also would prefer a few more minutes of analysis and less adverts...

Still, can make a cuppa.

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Ball-in-play percent must be really high in this game. All the lineouts are taking no time at all, and the scrums are staying up.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
I might not always agree with Owens as a ref, but at least I know exactly why he has made a decision. His communication is excellent.

Case in point over those handbags.

Last edited:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland need to beat France away this year. We should be able to on this showing, but I'm sure we can Scotland it up in some way.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
gave up on ENGFRA at half time, too one-sided to be enjoyable for a neutral.

Think England are playing very well, but France and Ireland both played into England's hands. Owen Farrell is loving life kicking to inexperienced fullbacks atm

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Back from Edinburgh after a frustrating time, those handling errors & knock-ons were just absolutely killer in the second half. A crying shame because the first half was pretty even I thought, Irish defending right before half-time was immense, crazy that they didn't infringe. Saw a lot of hand-wringing about Scotland not going for the drop-goal but given that Finn never, ever, ever scores them the try was the right call. Poite probably had the worst test I've seen at Murrayfield, didn't cause Scotland to keep shooting themselves in the face mind.

Stop England, France are already dead. Only caught the end of the Italy-Wales test, still to go through it on ITV Hub, standing by my prediciton of them taking the championship.

Scotland need to beat France away this year. We should be able to on this showing, but I'm sure we can Scotland it up in some way.

I don't know how Finn can outdo himself kicking the conversion under the crossbar last time but if any team can find a way...

gir

Oct 25, 2017
didn't even realise o'mahoney took hogg off the ball for murray's try until I watched the squidge video

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Mmm, thought it was touch & go with Finn (from what Reddit made of the match it was his own poor tackling that caused the knock >.<) but if Dr Robson says he can't play, so be it. I think Pete Horne was playing Stand-off for Glasgow at the weekend and had a great outing, apparently Weir is doing well at Worcester, too.

This French team is bad though, if we can't win in Paris now, when???

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I don't think Finn is too great a loss for the France game. France isn't the team he's built to play against, not this France anyway. You got backup, no need to be disheartened too much. Defend wide, that's the thing.

Drifting OT a bit, would anyone mind if I put up (at the right time, about early September) an OT for the World Cup? I'd like to get back into doing threads and this seems a good opportunity if nobody else desperately wants it. Planning to include a reasonable pool guide and a rugby-for-americans interlude to try and tempt people in.

OP
OP
CeeCee

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I don't think Finn is too great a loss for the France game. France isn't the team he's built to play against, not this France anyway. You got backup, no need to be disheartened too much. Defend wide, that's the thing.

Drifting OT a bit, would anyone mind if I put up (at the right time, about early September) an OT for the World Cup? I'd like to get back into doing threads and this seems a good opportunity if nobody else desperately wants it. Planning to include a reasonable pool guide and a rugby-for-americans interlude to try and tempt people in.

That would be amazing!

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Wales v England will be some match, for my Irish hopes I am hoping Wales can pull it off. However, England feeling empowered atm to undo the embarrassment of last year, so not confident at all

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Five days to go and I am quaking already. It's a good Welsh side for sure, but this is a damn good England side. Keeping everything crossed. Don't expect me to be calm net Saturday.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Think Wales take it, if only by virtue of being in Cardiff. Nowt much between the two, they'll be battle-hardened from the two away wins.

Sounds good to me!

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
World Cup OT would be cool - would be really good if we could bring some other people into the fold. It's still odd to me that there isn't a bigger overlap of Rugby and Videogame fans - I know rugby is fairly niche, but it feels like there should be more.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
World Cup OT would be cool - would be really good if we could bring some other people into the fold. It's still odd to me that there isn't a bigger overlap of Rugby and Videogame fans - I know rugby is fairly niche, but it feels like there should be more.
mostly americans on here, and rugby is very niche there, so no surprise for me

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
True, but the fact there isn't (as far as I can tell) a single Kiwi on here is surprising. Anyway, in typical Scotland fashion, Strauss was almost unable to play as he'd lost his passport! Luckily he's found it now.

Also, in the interest of Celtic togetherness, the BBC sport website seems to be doing a few articles on the 1999 Five Nations where Scotland won the tournament due to Wales beating England at Wembley. Happier days. The article also mentions drinking Champagne in Kelso - that's where I played my rugby at that point, wish I'd known there was free champagne!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47270542

gir

Oct 25, 2017
True, but the fact there isn't (as far as I can tell) a single Kiwi on here is surprising. Anyway, in typical Scotland fashion, Strauss was almost unable to play as he'd lost his passport! Luckily he's found it now.

Also, in the interest of Celtic togetherness, the BBC sport website seems to be doing a few articles on the 1999 Five Nations where Scotland won the tournament due to Wales beating England at Wembley. Happier days. The article also mentions drinking Champagne in Kelso - that's where I played my rugby at that point, wish I'd known there was free champagne!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47270542
The 2 kiwis i know on here dont follow rugby. I think if you are a kiwi and follow rugby, you arent on resetera. Youre getting lashed and passing out in a pasture with a sheep

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
They're out there, I met a man from Christchurch once who had no idea who the Crusaders were.

homer.gif

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Predictions:

Ireland Italy. Gotta be Ireland, even though I would love Italy to take a scalp and I think they are getting better, Ireland are just the better team.

Next two are hard to predict.

Scotland France. I'm hoping France don't decide to click for this one match, but I'm worried they will. If Scotland can keep them out and disrupt them for the first 20 to 30 minutes, I think Scotland will win. If France get confidence early on, France will get their tails up and win. I just checked Planet Rugby's prediction voter page - 43% have France to win by 1 - 12 points, 43% have Scotland. Not scientific in the slightest, but there you go.

England Wales. England are clearly the form team and have got a game plan that suits them and their players. But - it's Wales, it's at home and everyone knows this alters things. I think England will take it but it'll be a close one, probably decided by some controversial 77 minute decision. The arguments will rage on for weeks.

Last edited:

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
I dare not make any predictions for today's games, but I'm really looking forward to France v Scotland - it should be a cracker of a match, and will at least temporarily distract me from being a nervous wreck over Wales v England. Just a morning's work to get through first. Don't think I'll be getting too many customers over from Wales today though.

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoyed that thanks!

Just strolled home past the solo bagpiper at the end of the High Street. That's put me in the mood, I love me some piping. Did I ever tell you guys about the Phantom Piper of Biddenham? Rumours were flying around about bizarre sounds echoing faintly beyond the village at night, so one evening I took the long walk home from the pub in the moonlight across the fields and I met the Phantom Piper. Turns out his wife had banned him from practising the pipes, so he took them out in the middle of a four-square-mile field late at night. Lovely chap.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoyed that thanks!

Just strolled home past the solo bagpiper at the end of the High Street. That's put me in the mood, I love me some piping. Did I ever tell you guys about the Phantom Piper of Biddenham? Rumours were flying around about bizarre sounds echoing faintly beyond the village at night, so one evening I took the long walk home from the pub in the moonlight across the fields and I met the Phantom Piper. Turns out his wife had banned him from practising the pipes, so he took them out in the middle of a four-square-mile field late at night. Lovely chap.

That's a great story - can see why his wife wouldnt want it practiced at home though! Here we go - nervy but hopeful. Would love an away win.

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Took some persuading to get the French TV director to show that knock-on!

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
France Scotland could be a bizarre game. I think it might have a knock on/handling error every minute.

Looks like that prediction might be right.

That was a great try. France look like they want to play.

Scotland playing like the second half against Ireland. Too many stupid mistakes.

Last edited:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Laidlaw missed. Could be a bad day.

Need to get a score with Huget off. But didn't. That's Scotland in a nutshell.

So lucky that wasn't a try! Why do France decide to play well today.

Our line out is poor. Needs to be better.

Last edited:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
That's us done.

We are stupid. Keep getting in good places, then throwing intercepts, penalties, just not being composed.

Pretty pissed off with this performance.

Last edited:

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
You guys give up too easy. Twenty minutes to go and Scotland could have won that if only they'd played the way they can. Three opportunities chucked away through lack of support runners, which is usually what Scotland does best. Four if you count that lick that came off the posts.

Must be nearly as frustrating as being Welsh.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, we'd have knocked on when we got close to the try line.

Right, I just want to see a really good game of rugby now.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
One player I really like is Navidi. Seems to always be doing the right thing at the right time but goes under the radar a little.

Think everyone is surprised by that penalty.