• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Just seen the score. Fair to say that's a good response.

Edit - also, don't know how much any of us will be able to affect this, but SquidgeRugby is being hit for copyright issues by Six Nations rugby. Might be worth a tweet or contacting Six Nations.

Last edited:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's one way to make sure I don't get my hopes up. Pretty dreadful by Scotland, well done France.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Eng v ire today, bit more cohesion than against italy and no injuries would be a good match for me, narrow loss would be a gd result

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Hope for Scotland match - in order of likelihood.

To play better than last week. (Can't play worse!)
To not have injuries - particularly for key players.
To have some obvious game plan and grit.
To score some tries.
To win.
Gregor Townsend to know his best team.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we might get - just - the first of that list. Way too many basic errors. We're not getting out of the group if we keep on playing like this.

Well, we've got a try as well. Should have been passed by Harris to Hogg earlier and I've no idea why Laidlaw waited so long to pass the ball from that ruck on the line, but it's a try.

Last edited:

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Disastrous first half for Ireland. 2 players injured and a fucking awful lineout. Itoje doing jazz hands to Rory Best at the front of one lineout, just trolling him.

Big spanking incoming in the second half.

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
We're getting a well deserved absolute hammering. I have no confidence that this WC will go in any way well for us. Scotland will probably batter us as well.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
it's like ireland get into world cup years and then collectively just decide to shit the bed, had my car nct test so was going to watch replay tonight but saw the score and think I will skip to not get depressed... :(

Oct 25, 2017
As time has gone on, we've (Ireland) went backwards it seems. That's an absolute disastrous game of rugby, and one has to think are Joe's tactics been past now? He was the man who had answers before questions were even asked before. Now? It seems we aren't even on the same page.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Think joe has them so drilled, they can't play differently or are too scared to in case he drops them. Joes tactics when the players are on the boil were perfect, atm though with the players off the boil, joes tactics are too. It looks like he hasn't learnt from this year's 6N though based on current performances

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
A win is a win is a win in what is the rugby equivalent of the NFL pre-season. Hope Sam Skinner is all right.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Much better from Ireland today.

Last 15 minutes was super tense, though.

From a Welsh perspective it's a bit worrying that this is still happening; we put out a second string team and suddenly we lose all consistency and everyone seems to drop down a level or two. It's been this way for ages and it doesn't bode well for our depth in Japan. Good result for Ireland though especially after last week; surely that makes World Cup selection really interesting now?

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Patchell tho, single-handedly turned the test on its head.

Had a rousing watch of connection errors & timeouts on Premier Player when watching Scotland-Georgia :/ .

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Am I alone in thinking the 31-man squad is sort of outdated now? With the amount of injuries that occur these days it doesn't make sense to me to force coaches to limit choices in certain positions. Like Wales, for example, are only taking 5 props and are likely to have to play one of them out of position at some point. I get that that's Gatland's choice because he wants to have more players available elsewhere, but the point is a coach shouldn't have to make that choice.

I dunno, with all the talk around concussions and player safety these days, it seems counterproductive to limit the squads so harshly.

phisheep

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
Oct 26, 2017
Am I alone in thinking the 31-man squad is sort of outdated now? With the amount of injuries that occur these days it doesn't make sense to me to force coaches to limit choices in certain positions. Like Wales, for example, are only taking 5 props and are likely to have to play one of them out of position at some point. I get that that's Gatland's choice because he wants to have more players available elsewhere, but the point is a coach shouldn't have to make that choice.

I dunno, with all the talk around concussions and player safety these days, it seems counterproductive to limit the squads so harshly.

It's a level playing field thing. Larger squads favour the richer countries, so it needs to be limited somehow.

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Big difference between how good they are and how much money they've got. Transport and accomodation costs get real big real fast for the smaller unions.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
Toner being dropped is a big call, and after our shaky lineouts, not one I think is a good one. However, in Saint Joe we trust

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Scottish team out as well. Not massively surprising about Huw Jones being dropped - his form has disappeared but a little bit surprised at Hutchinson. I've also never been a big fan of Harris but there you go.

Getting close now!

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Another decent performance from Ireland today. At least we're going into the WC in better form. Preventing Wales from getting a single point on the board in the second half is no small feat. They conceded so many penalties, though.

Nice send-off for Rory Best as well. I love the guard of honour they gave him after the game. It was like the stonecutters initiation ceremony from The Simpson's. lol

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Man, do I miss the World Cup.

So, Saracens fined 5 million and dropped 35 points
Scotland fined 70,000 and forced to apologise for comments during Typhoon
SBW signed to Toronto for Rugby League (although they play in the Super League, so it's not as bizarre as I first thought)

Oh, and it's only 84 days until the 6 Nations and Ireland beat Scotland again.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Man, do I miss the World Cup.

So, Saracens fined 5 million and dropped 35 points
Scotland fined 70,000 and forced to apologise for comments during Typhoon
SBW signed to Toronto for Rugby League (although they play in the Super League, so it's not as bizarre as I first thought)

Oh, and it's only 84 days until the 6 Nations and Ireland beat Scotland again.
It's quite bizarre that Toronto play in the super league. Hopefully Townsend quits before the Six Nations so we can have a fresh direction to avoid defeat against the Irish again. Wonder if Gatland would fancy it.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think he will, but I imagine if he has a bad 6N that will be it. Gatland would actually be great for Scotland but I can't see him taking it on. I think Cockerill could be a good shout, as he's done a lot for Edinburgh and we need someone like him to make us at least difficult to beat.

gir

Oct 25, 2017
european cup has passed me by this year, got a bit of a rugby hangover from the RWC.

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Shit. Finn Russell dropped for some disciplinary breach according to the Guardian. Not clear whether it is just for the first game or for the tournament.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I have no idea how to call this tournament with so much change at a coaching level. I am pretty exited as a whole, but even more nervous for wales than I ordinarily am.

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Started putting an OT together this morning, but there's so much to talk about with all the changes that I'm struggling a bit! Probably France is the most interesting one.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. It will be interesting if the notoriously struct Swan Edwards can finally whip the eve rebellious French squad into shape.

phisheep

Oct 26, 2017
Not just Edwards either. I've got a theory about the French - they are so accustomed to taking their on-field orders from a bossy number 9 that they only respect a coach who has played scrum-half. Otherwise they rebel. Explains why they performed so well under Fouroux and Laporte, and bodes well for Galthie. We might actually see disciplined French performances in both attack and defence. that would be interesting.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Finn thing is an arse. I wasn't even hopeful about this years 6N and now I've not even got that. At least Hastings is in some form. Rumour at mo is that he went out on the lash, turned up worse for wear on the Monday and senior players asked him to leave for the Ireland game.

Would like quite like France to win, think their backline is pretty tasty.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
BBC are saying Russell also had a bust up with the coach at half-time in the England game last year, so could be an ongoing issue with him? Shame because he's much fun to watch and genuinely one of the most talented attacking players around at the moment. He's probably scuppering his chances for the Lions as well; Gatland was notorious with Wales for dropping players who are difficult to work with (someone like Tom James, for example, should have far more caps than he ended up with).

In terms of the Six Nations, I make England hefty favourites at the moment since they'll have the most continuity from the World Cup. I don't see the Saracens thing having that much of an impact; look what happened with the whole Ospreys/Scarlets thing last year and Wales ended up with the Grand Slam. I think once you take the players out of that club environment they're all good enough to mentally remove themselves from whatever's going on. I could also see France being a dark horse, but you could say that any year. For Wales I think we'll win all our home games but not much else and I'd take it tbh.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
The Pro14 has officially been called off (or at least "postponed"). I can't imagine the English Premiership and French Top14 are too far behind... crazy that the Wales game is still going on on Saturday. I don't know if I even want to go anymore.

I don't know about other clubs in other country, but this will absolutely destroy the Welsh regions... they're already struggling and having 3 or 4 games less TV and gate income will really mess with their books (including Judgment Day which is always a big earner). Absolutely no doubt that they've made the right decision but the long-term effects on the clubs are really worrying.