• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly a competent reapplication of what made the original Metroid II so interesting, I just dare to dream bigger.

That being said, if I were CEO of Nintendo and had the ability to bring Team Cherry on for anything, it would be for Zelda not Metroid. William Pellen and Ari Gibson famously love Zelda II so maybe they can finally make a sequel, a Zelda III if you will.
I do see team cherry more in their own element with a revision of the zelda 2 concept.
I have to say that while I enjoyed hollow knight, as im not as big of a fan as most of era of games like darksouls and bloodborne, thats the part that i enjoyed less of hollow knight, while i did enjoy exploration and the art a lot.

And yeah, i suppose Mercury steams work couldnt be greater beacause they were somewhat restrained by the metroid 2 formula, though it was a really well remade game with all the new stuff being welcomed.
I think that with a metroid 5, on a console were a 2.5d game could really shine with a good artsyle and lighting we could be near another 2d metroid masterpiece.
And I think sakamoto actually learned from his mistakes, he even was incredibly good at catching the good members from mercury steam and not letting the shitty Enric Alvarez, the main guy there, near the project (putting a better guy in the director chair instead of him).
Like in Spain Enric Alvarez is legendary and not in a good way, im thankful every day that Sakamoto could see that.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i wont let you break my heart, paper mario

not this time

not again

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
They need to ditch the "2 frame" animation thing since Sticker Star. It's always looked bad

9VmCXz.gif

(notice Mario's 2 frame idle on the left)
tumblr_o3hpw0DcdV1rn26jfo9_400.gifv

ttyd:
tumblr_ooktr70Bbv1rrftcdo1_r1_500.gifv

there's just numerous things that got worse in over a decade. (Without even needing to mention "battle system" or the NPCs, or partners)

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
They need to ditch the "2 frame" animation thing since Sticker Star. It's always looked bad

9VmCXz.gif

ttyd:

there's just numerous things that got worse in over a decade. (Without even needing to mention "battle system" or the NPCs, or partners)
Basically, you want them to not incorporate the theme of "paper", and you would rather have the theme, "2D vectorized animations".

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
A major problem I have, is that I feel a 2d metroid platformer would likely exist at the same level of gameplay as the high to mid tier indie platformers of recent years (Hollow knight, blasphemous, the messenger, axion verge) but yet they will still want 80 CAD (60 USD?) for it. I may purchase it, but it has to be outstanding, it has to be at the highest level of platforming fun.

That's kind of the same problem I had with Link's Awakening. It felt like it could have easily been a $25-$30 eShop release, and they sold it for $60. The game was perfectly find on its own, but had zero reason to be that high-priced.

That's one of my ongoing issues with Switch, Nintendo wants to bring in the genres and styles that were handheld staples like 2D Zelda and Pokemon, but they aren't giving them the level of content necessary to be worthy of the $60 console game price tag.

Then again, who am I kidding, I'll buy both versions of the inevitable Oracles remakes for $120 at launch.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

9VmCXz.gif

ttyd:

I agree. Never liked that change, and I don't like the white outlines either.

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018

9VmCXz.gif

ttyd:

I rarely see people mention this but honestly it's one of my least favorite things about Sticker Star / Color Splash's art direction. I really don't like the choppy animation. Sadly I don't see them going back and i'd take a choppy RPG Paper Mario over no RPG Paper Mario.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
The recent paper Mario's still look good IMO. The problem is the gameplay.

Agreed. That gameplay has to go back to the groundwork of the first two. I tried to like Sticker Star and Color Splash. I really did. But I just couldn't. Honestly I'm just bummed that I even contributed to sales because I don't want them to think people approve of the change in style.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily mind the "paper/craft" look of the newer games, but what I do hope gets toned down a bit is the constant barrage of fourth-wall-breaking "paper-jokes". It's alright once in a while, but the newest games just go overboard in their "hey, have you noticed that everything in this game is made of PAPER?!" antics that it becomes less of an artstyle and more of just a self-deprecating gimmick that gets old very quickly. The original game had absolutely no references to the paper-ness of its characters from what I remember (aside from maybe Mario falling down and drifting back and forth like paper). TTYD had some and it's paper moves but it still was just a secondary aspect to everything else. The newer games though live and breathe in the paper quality of their worlds and it seeps into the stories of the games, and I think the atmosphere and story loses something when everything is just a big in-joke now of how the game looks. Just my thoughts.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

9VmCXz.gif

ttyd:

I have only played TTYD but honestly those first two gifs look much better. Maybe they get more tiresome after a while?

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, the limited frame-by-frame character animation didn't bother me in Color Splash, especially since they added little touches like the cute bounce and wobble to Mario's and other characters' walk cycles.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I have only played TTYD but honestly those first two gifs look much better. Maybe they get more tiresome after a while?
I'm just so sick of the paper-craft/materialism in games at this point. It's overdone and not unique. LittleBigPlanet, newer Paper Marios, Yoshi games, games that use a claymation-like look. The first three games' use of pixel art looked so much better.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just so sick of the paper-craft/materialism in games at this point. It's overdone and not unique. LittleBigPlanet, newer Paper Marios, Yoshi games, games that use a claymation-like look. The first three games' use of pixel art looked so much better.
Because there are less than a dozen games out of tens of thousands that have material type looks to them? I hope the next Pikmin has photorealistic environments with clay characters like the artwork

A new 2D Metroid doesn't seem that far-fetched, but with regards to the rumour of a new Paper Mario game, they've lost me after the 3DS and Wii U entries.
So that thing is they specifically said the Paper Mario games moved away from being RPGs because the Mario & Luigi games already fulfilled that role. Now that Alpha Dream, and presumably that series, are no more, who knows what a new Paper Mario game will play like

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily mind the "paper/craft" look of the newer games, but what I do hope gets toned down a bit is the constant barrage of fourth-wall-breaking "paper-jokes". It's alright once in a while, but the newest games just go overboard in their "hey, have you noticed that everything in this game is made of PAPER?!" antics that it becomes less of an artstyle and more of just a self-deprecating gimmick that gets old very quickly. The original game had absolutely no references to the paper-ness of its characters from what I remember (aside from maybe Mario falling down and drifting back and forth like paper). TTYD had some and it's paper moves but it still was just a secondary aspect to everything else. The newer games though live and breathe in the paper quality of their worlds and it seeps into the stories of the games, and I think the atmosphere and story loses something when everything is just a big in-joke now of how the game looks. Just my thoughts.
I just don't like anything in general. The humor used to be all based on the characters and situations and stories. Now it's almost entirely just slapstick, 4th wall breaks, references, etc.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
So that thing is they specifically said the Paper Mario games moved away from being RPGs because the Mario & Luigi games already fulfilled that role. Now that Alpha Dream, and presumably that series, are no more, who knows what a new Paper Mario game will play like

Keep dreaming, as they won't go back to that format. Intelligent Systems are hellbent on making every successive Paper Mario entry a weird Adventure/Platforming/RPG(?) hybrid that no one wanted.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Keep dreaming, as they won't go back to that format. Intelligent Systems are hellbent on making every successive Paper Mario entry a weird Adventure/Platforming/RPG(?) hybrid that no one wanted.
So Nintendo is gonna spend resources on a product that we know all its gonna end up terrible and have low sales why exactly?

Oct 29, 2017
Man, I just got wind of this rumor earlier today thanks to a friendly poster in another PM-related thread.

I really hope it's true, I feel like Nintendo recently has been actually paying attention to what the fans want and expect of new entries in their series, so maybe we'll finally get a PM game with the gameplay/everything of the first two (and maybe a story like the third one — maybe this is not popular, but I was a fan of it).

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Don't be. People latch onto the short-sighted notion of "[Random Indie Dev] should develop the next [Entry in Nintendo IP]" all of the time.

It is, but that talk wouldn't exist if Nintendo were making the games in the first place. Folks wanting shinen to make the next fzero was because Nintendo seemingly had no interest in making it because it was too niche even for them.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It is, but that talk wouldn't exist if Nintendo were making the games in the first place. Folks wanting shinen to make the next fzero was because Nintendo seemingly had no interest in making it because it was too niche even for them.
But now there is a team for metroid. Mercury steam, and they did a great job on samus returns. So why are people clamoring for an indie team to take that from them?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
But now there is a team for metroid. Mercury steam, and they did a great job on samus returns. So why are people clamoring for an indie team to take that from them?

Probably because some of them still don't think another 2D metroid is coming. My thing is, hollow knight is its own thing. If anything they should be asking for team cherry to make the next Dark Souls since it feels much closer to that game than metroid to me.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Probably because some of them still don't think another 2D metroid is coming. My thing is, hollow knight is its own thing. If anything they should be asking for team cherry to make the next Dark Souls since it feels much closer to that game than metroid to me.
There's no reason at all to think that at this point, it's near 100% happening. I agree too, Team Cherry wouldn't fit metroid or the direction of the series.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
At the same time, that kind of insults the developer, because it assumes that they have any desire to actually work on F-Zero and not on something else that's of personal interest to them.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
I just want a 2D Metroid that isn't afraid of the player trying to sequence break and explore the game on their own terms (Zero Mission and its secret speed running passages, easier bomb jump chaining and walk jumping) instead of Samus Returns and its utter fear of the player trying to go off the beaten path (the wall jump nerf comes to mind). Also 60 fps this time please.

Dimentio

Feb 3, 2020
Oh boy, traditional Paper Mario seems too good to be true. I really need to know the definition of traditional here: does it exclusively mean in terms of gameplay or will we actually see original characters and story again in the vein of the first 3 games. Recurring enemies like Koopatrols returning, recurring NPCs like Whacka, bringing back Kammy Koopa as Bowser's second in command, bringing back various partners from the first 2 games and showing what they're up to now, and having an original antagonist group (sorry Bowser, you were a good main antagonist in Paper Mario 64 but there's no need to retread that again, this is an RPG series where having a fresh plot matters much more than it does in the main series)

Tanabe's comments with Game Informer genuinely scare me, as that was well after they had time to see the backlash and he still insisted that it needs to be a sterile by the books Mario game story and character wise.