• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
gravity-goal-1536x960.jpg

Sources have revealed that 2K Games is working on a new game called "Gravity Goal" that is aiming to compete against Rocket League. The project, which is currently called Gravity Goal allows players to drive TRON-like bikes rather than cars.

The goal of the game seems to be just like Rocket League, where matches consist of 1v1, 2v2, or 3v3. Players need to score by hitting a ball with their vehicles into the back of a goal by using their vehicles. One slight difference with how Gravity Goal works compared to Rocket League though is with the addition of 'discs' that players can use to throw at the opposing team's vehicles to cause damage.

Tom Henderson does have a good track record when it comes to leaks, but still better take it as a Rumor.

More at exputer: https://exputer.com/news/industry/gravity-goal/

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you might get the casual but half the scene left is absurdly competitive - like, melee levels. Good luck.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Where Rocket League leans into its simplicity extremely well, things like this sound a bit iffy:
One slight difference with how Gravity Goal works compared to Rocket League though is with the addition of 'discs' that players can use to throw at the opposing team's vehicles to cause damage.

I'll be interested to see what it is, and best of luck to them going up against Rocket League.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I can see the press conference now

"Hey gamers, I don't know about you but I like a good GGEZ. And now I get all the GGs with GG: Gravity Goal. A gravity-defying cyberbike combat sport game! The newest original idea from the masterminds at 2K Games! Pre-order now!"

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Rocket League is a borderline perfect game, I don't know what anyone could add or change that wouldn't simply make it a worse version of Rocket League. Might check it out out of curiosity but... I'm good.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Why did it take 7 years for someone to try?
There's been lots of games that take various levels of inspiration from Rocket League, though.

You just can't compete with the best, unfortunately. I think of Rocket League as about as perfect of a sports videogame possible. Not to say it can't be improved on dramatically, but the perfect foundation has been set by Psyonix and they have virtually all of time to work at improving it. I'm sceptical of any competitors but interested, of course, but nothing excites me more about the future of the "genre" than UE5 Rocket League.

Sebalt

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, could be fun, curious to see the result.

RL needs a competitor, feels like nothing is added to the game

It's the opposite for me. Since the release, we have/had:

- Hockey mode
- Basket-ball mode
- NFL mode
- "Mario Kart" mode
- "Volley" mode
- Many varied stadiums
- Funny events with various balls

And soon, we will have a mode without the ball. It could be better, sure but it's far from "nothing", at least to my eyes.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
I'm down for more non-violent eSports. Assuming they actually make a new game here and not just a shameless Rocket League ripoff.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I could think of would be to remove demolitions tbh.

I think there are a few tweaks one could make to Rocket League that would improve things. I actually quite like demolitions, but being suddenly respawned randomly to one side or the other is a bit simplistic. Kick offs are a bit of a sticking point too as they necessarily start every phase with a huge chunk of chaos -- feels like it would be better to shift the ball towards the team that just conceded. I'd also love to see how the game would play with a radar, or else some better way of knowing where your teammates are.

Ultimately though if someone wants to make the 'next' rocket league they need to try and understand what makes Rocket League so special as a multiplayer title. It has a low skill floor and a high skill ceiling with a great sense of skill progression. It's extremely fair, with no pay to win elements and no grind to win elements. Everything is physics based and feels authentic. Co-operation is key and as much a skill to learn as the mechanics. It somehow captures more of what it is to play sport than any of the highly popular sports sims.

The above is what you need to achieve to be the next Rocket League. Which is a tall order. None of what I stated above has anything to do with vehicles or football. Yet every Rocket League clone copies those aspects rather than focusing on the stuff that really matters.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this would gain better traction if they got the actual Tron license. It sounds exactly like the light cycles and discs.

Would be less embarrassing for Tron than Legacy was.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I could think of would be to remove demolitions tbh.

Why demolitions? They add another layer of strategy very naturally. I guess demos could be replaced by bumps if absolutely necessary but I don't see the value in removing demos.

I think there are a few tweaks one could make to Rocket League that would improve things. I actually quite like demolitions, but being suddenly respawned randomly to one side or the other is a bit simplistic. Kick offs are a bit of a sticking point too as they necessarily start every phase with a huge chunk of chaos -- feels like it would be better to shift the ball towards the team that just conceded. I'd also love to see how the game would play with a radar, or else some better way of knowing where your teammates are.
I like these ideas but those are pretty minor changes.

Personally though the biggest problem with Rocket League is lack of new content. When you see some of crazy game modes and custom maps some modders make for the game it makes me wonder what Pysonix is up to that they can't do anything comparable. Well Psyonix is probably busy making cosmetics, converting the game to UE5, and is overall understaffed.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
Rocket League has reached levels of everyone playing it but nobody talking about it, to break that level of popularity because you say you will seems like a stretch.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Oh, could be fun, curious to see the result.

It's the opposite for me. Since the release, we have/had:

- Hockey mode
- Basket-ball mode
- NFL mode
- "Mario Kart" mode
- "Volley" mode
- Many varied stadiums
- Funny events with various balls

And soon, we will have a mode without the ball. It could be better, sure but it's far from "nothing", at least to my eyes.
The stadiums are the worst part since they went all-in on eSports. I miss the old wasteland and even Tokyo arenas, which added some gameplay variety in competitive.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I thought this one looked pretty good

youtu.be

Turbo Golf Racing announcement trailer - Future Games Show Spring Showcase 2022

Revealed at the Future Games Show Spring Showcase Turbo Golf Racing is a game where you play golf….with cars! Turbo Golf Racing is on course to land on PC, X...

Looks really cool. It seems like it would be extremely challenging and difficult to matchmake, but I also kind of got the feeling the ball might have some kind of autoaim/curve getting it to the goal which would mitigate the problem, whilst introducing a handicap that makes it less fun at the same time...

Looking it up on their Twitter and maybe I'm wrong thankfully, but then I have no idea how this "aim line" works.

Serpico99

Oct 29, 2017
NYC
My buddy and I play RL once a week or so. We are happy with it and dont want it to change. Scratches that sports multi itch that EA games can't.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I play RL daily so I'd try it out. Maybe the damage will reduce the opportunity for instant demos which could be interesting. It'll all depend on how the physics feel and if you can flip reset.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
We already have this type of games and gameplay which is unique to one game with its fun and mediocre aspects and for the best and worst so why do we need an exact copy? Sorry but thanks.