• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

CES Dates: Tue, Jan 7, 2020 – Fri, Jan 10, 2020

The rumor comes from the Chiphell user who has previously been super accurate with his leaks such as Polaris 30 (Radeon RX 590) launching in Q4 2018, Radeon VII in Q1 2019 and 7nm Navi mainstream cards arriving before the high-end enthusiast-grade variants in 2019. With a good track record to begin, let's see what's the latest info that the leaker has for us.

According to him, AMD's plans for their 2nd Generation rDNA based Radeon RX Navi GPU lineup is to offer a product preview at CES 2020. That would be interesting and makes sense since CES 2020 will be a huge event for AMD to unveil their 2020 product portfolio which includes Zen 3 and 2nd Gen rDNA based products for mainstream, enthusiast, notebook and server markets. It is already confirmed that the rDNA 2 GPU architecture is in-design and scheduled for launch in 2020. Some of the features to expect from 2nd Generation rDNA Navi GPUs would be:
  • Optimized 7nm+ process node
  • Enthusiast-grade desktop graphics card options
  • Hardware-Level Ray Tracing Support
  • A mix of GDDR6 and HBM2 graphics cards
  • More power-efficient than First-Gen Navi GPUs

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Is DXRT truly hardware-agnostic? I expect all current coded-for RTX effects to run like shit on these cards.

Can't wait to see what AMD brings

SodapopVII

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of PC Builders have got fingers crossed something new is released in time for Cyberpunk 2077 - the RTX line is unappealing to me personally. Nvidia really need some competition at the higher end GPU lineups.

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I think a lot of PC Builders have got fingers crossed something new is released in time for Cyberpunk 2077 - the RTX line is unappealing to me personally. Nvidia really need some competition at the higher end GPU lineups.

This is me exactly. I want something brand new for Cyberpunk not a year old card only to have something better come out 2 months later. I'll keep my expectations in check and expect to get a 5700XT or RTX2070 only for a better card to release in July.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they include HDMI 2.1, or they won't even be a consideration for me.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Is this what PS5 will be using?

The consoles won't use these specific chips, but will use chips either based on the same rdna generation as these, or take some features from this generation. At least, one might assume this based on the confirmation of hardware rt support in the consoles, which rdna2 supposedly brings.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really expect AMD's GPU side to pull off any kinda of miracle, but maybe Microsoft and Sony both funding their R&D might actually contribute to exciting results.

SodapopVII

Oct 27, 2017
This is me exactly. I want something brand new for Cyberpunk not a year old card only to have something better come out 2 months later. I'll keep my expectations in check and expect to get a 5700XT or RTX2070 only for a better card to release in July.

I'm sitting on a 3570k and a 980ti and the most excited I have been for a game that is a new IP is coming and I am basically twiddling my thumbs waiting to see what happens in early 2020. You only get to play a game once for the first time and a PS4 Pro or my current PC is not the way I want to do it! Worse case scenario I do not buy at release, wait a few months for Zen 3 and the new GPU releases... oh and let a few bugs and glitches get ironed out!

Oct 25, 2017
You're going to want to return the 2nd generation rDNA GPUs about a week later too XD

I've hummed and hawed over it so much haha I got a B450 board on the cheap so I wanna get a 3700x and a new GPU to upgrade from a R5 1600/RX580 (which, to be fair, is still decent enough to play everything at 1080p). I was holding on until after BF has passed to open the card in case a smoking deal comes along but hmmm...

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Is this what PS5 will be using?

Most likely this is an evolution of whatever PS5 will use.
PS5 most likely being either first gen or something in between.

This being mid/late 2020 product, no way they're ready for production yet. And devkits are probably out, so can't be this one.
Even AMD's desktop APUs lag generation behind, which are most likely similar to console APUs. (early 2020 officially, which could mean CES release/announcement)

Jun 1, 2018
->
Enthusiast-grade desktop graphics card options

I dont believe this. I have been waiting for YEARS for an AMD high end GPU. After the disappointing Vega 64 how long are we supposed to wait?

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sitting on a 3570k and a 980ti and the most excited I have been for a game that is a new IP is coming and I am basically twiddling my thumbs waiting to see what happens in early 2020. You only get to play a game once for the first time and a PS4 Pro or my current PC is not the way I want to do it! Worse case scenario I do not buy at release, wait a few months for Zen 3 and the new GPU releases... oh and let a few bugs and glitches get ironed out!

I still think that the new cards coming in 2020 will struggle with Cyberpunk if you're trying to bring it to its full potential (RTX / VRR / HDR / 1440p or 4K at max settings). Hell, cards in 2020 will probably still struggle with RDR2. You need to upgrade that CPU most of all, 4c/8t ain't going to cut it any more.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
I don't expect much from them, they will never surpass Nvidia in top tier performance or raytracing. The Radeon VII specs, price, and performance reveal was one of the funniest threads I've seen on this site. Its always a big letdown after a bunch of rumor hype.

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I am close to buying a 2070S but if 3000 series AND new AMD cards are coming out in 2020 I am thinking I should just wait. I imagine the new cards wont be that much more than a 2070S in Canada, they will probably be less actually.

SodapopVII

Oct 27, 2017
I still think that the new cards coming in 2020 will struggle with Cyberpunk if you're trying to bring it to its full potential (RTX / VRR / HDR / 1440p or 4K at max settings). Hell, cards in 2020 will probably still struggle with RDR2. You need to upgrade that CPU most of all, 4c/8t ain't going to cut it any more.

I never expected the 3000 series to max out Cyberpunk, but I am expecting it to run it at 4k with fairly high settings and to be a pretty substantial upgrade from a 2080 or 2080ti with equivalent cards. That 3570k is 4c 4t sadly so even worse!

Anyway, everyone should be hoping these new AMD cards are a home run when they release but I understand people expect to be disappointed again... burned one too many times for leading performance from them.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
Intel and AMD launching new GPUs in 2020; meanwhile, Nvidia just chillin' and telling everyone, "see you in 2021 with our new Hopper architecture. Please have $1500 ready for RTX 3080 Ti. K, thanks."

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds cool, but I'm not buying a new GPU until after the new consoles are out in the wild.

Shoot, I may even do a whole new build from scratch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
don't know why people believe Nvidia is just going to wait until 2021 for Ampere. they're definitely gonna put something out to hold off next gen consoles as well as AMD stepping on their RT stoop

May 9, 2018
I hope this would be in a March iMac/iMac Pro since Apple loves putting in cutting-edge AMD GPUs, but that might be too tight of a schedule.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
don't know why people believe Nvidia is just going to wait until 2021 for Ampere. they're definitely gonna put something out to hold off next gen consoles as well as AMD stepping on their RT stoop
Ampere seems to be 90% 2020, probably before 2H 2020 too. The 3080 Ti is gonna be fun to see, i don't think the 2080 Ti is a big enough leap, especially not for the price, might as well stick to the 1080 Ti.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017

Guess we'll see at Computex in June 2020 to see what Nvidia is preparing. I'm reading different reports about their 7nm Ampere cards getting delayed to late 2020.

Saw another rumor about a 2080 Ti Super for Q1 2020, but that may have been a typo.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess we'll see at Computex in June 2020 to see what Nvidia is preparing. I'm reading different reports about their 7nm Ampere cards getting delayed to late 2020.

Saw another rumor about a 2080 Ti Super for Q1 2020, but that may have been a typo.
the 2080Ti Super is something I believe exists, but Nvidia's fuckery with product lines make them question it's release timing.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I was considering picking up an RTX 2070 super, but now... I'm looking forward to what AMD brings.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a link to this?
this is the only thing i could find. But she talked about the customizations in a different interview around the rdna reveal in may or june if you want to look it up.

"We are so honoured and proud to be part of Sony's next-generation PlayStation," Su told Jim Cramer. "This has been a really long-term partnership with them. We love gaming. We think gaming is a really good secular growth market. What we have done with Sony is really architect something for their application, for their special sauce. It's a great honor for us. We're really excited about what the next generation PlayStation will do. And happy to be a part of it."

Advc

Nov 3, 2017
Nice! Hoping for some cool stuff. I just finished building a new PC, my first one since 2010 and after weeks of massive and intense research on the GPU side, I decided to wait on on that department and use an APU from Ryzen in the meantime just to see what new GPU's gets announced next year. Hoping for a budget AMD GPU with true power efficiency because that is the main reason I skipped their current RX cards. Nice prices but they draw crazy amounts of power.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Definitely applies to me. If AMD came out with a good performing high end gpu card in time for 2077, I would almost certainly get it, unless the price was nvidia levels of overpriced.

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
Don't get led along by WCCFtech, they put out anything and everything to get views.
Now if a more reputable site chimes in, then it might happen.

As for the rumour itself, Big Navi is a fact, and will be happening next year; so not surprising.

Though personally I don't see a point in making these. No one buys AMD high end cards regardless of specs, there's even been points in the past where they've had superior cards that get completely outsold by Nvidia. People say they want competition but usually its just so that they can buy Nvidia cards at lower prices, a strange sort of fanboyism.