• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
The title implies that a game was coming out between Three Houses (17) and Engage (19), which is not accurate.

It makes more sense to think that Iron 18 was cancelled and they moved into a new fresh project: Iron 19. But that does not mean Engage would have existed if Iron 18 would have released.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Was Three Hopes 18? Did they suddenly start counting BS again? Who knows. I'm wary of a Genealogy remake after Engage.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Genealogy remake has been rumored for ages and the original Engage leak mentioned that it's finally coming next after Engage, so that's likely what it is.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't mean much, if we assume there's an internally developed FE game, its codename could be that without implying an earlier release that was delayed.

There's nothing to this other than the existence of another mainline game.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Probably the rumored Genealogy remake, which I doubt has been canceled. It's probably taking longer due to that games structure being a lot harder to modernize.

Aveyn Knight

Nov 29, 2017
UK
Mm, there is/was definitely a mainline game between Three Houses and Engage, but like what others have pointed out, we don't know if it's still coming out.

FE13/Iron13 (the second Wii game, with RTS elements) never came out, for example.

Also, if you don't mind some mild spoilers, I also talked about Iron19 (and a bit of Iron18) on this page (Info/Links tab).

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Considering how Engage capitalizes on the fanservice and the history of the series and considering how Sigurd is the second emblem introduced in the game, it's not weird to think that the Genealogy remake was coming out before.
If I had to guess, that remake should have been produced internally by IS (the other FE switch games are developed by KT) and since they haven't put out anything since 2020 with Origami King, there could have been some problems with the studio

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how Engage capitalizes on the fanservice and the history of the series and considering how Sigurd is the second emblem introduced in the game, it's not weird to think that the Genealogy remake was coming out before.
If I had to guess, that remake should have been produced internally by IS (the other FE switch games are developed by KT) and since they haven't put out anything since 2020 with Origami King, there could have been some problems with the studio
Fire Emblem Engage is done by IS without KT's involvement.

I wouldn't be surprised if FE18 (new remake) and FE19 (Engage) were conceptualized roughly at the same time with Engage releasing first for strategic reasons, maybe with some covid delays added to the mix.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
What about that Shadow Dragon re-release 30th anniversary set, did that have an internal codename?

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
What about that Shadow Dragon re-release 30th anniversary set, did that have an internal codename?
I don't think that was handled by IS. IIRC data mining also revealed that the re-release originally seems to have been made for Wii U, so if it had a codename it would have probably been lower than Three Houses.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this smells like a delayed/canned remake. It never made a ton of sense that they created the Echoes branding for remakes only to completely drop the idea immediately, but the one-two of TH absolutely blowing up and covid throwing everything into chaos had to have messed with their plans.

Aveyn Knight

Nov 29, 2017
UK
Yeah, this smells like a delayed/canned remake. It never made a ton of sense that they created the Echoes branding for remakes only to completely drop the idea immediately, but the one-two of TH absolutely blowing up and covid throwing everything into chaos had to have messed with their plans.
From my understanding, it was never intended to be a sub-series. They picked the name based on Gaiden's name.

It just so happened that it could be the name of a sub-series.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't use "Echoes" afterwards. FE Heroes and various marketing materials, especially in Japan, use "Echoes" as shorthand for referring to Shadows of Valentia. If they suddenly had another Echoes game, it would be a bit awkward.

Yata

Feb 1, 2019
Spain
From my understanding, it was never intended to be a sub-series. They picked the name based on Gaiden's name.

It just so happened that it could be the name of a sub-series.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't use "Echoes" afterwards. FE Heroes and various marketing materials, especially in Japan, use "Echoes" as shorthand for referring to Shadows of Valentia. If they suddenly had another Echoes game, it would be a bit awkward.

Plus you have Engage, which uses the Echoes subtitle for a bunch of Celica's skills. It's sad because I really liked that subtitle, but I understand why they are not using it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Genealogy remake has been talked since it was supposed to be a 3DS project alongside Link's Awakening and that Wario VB game. At this point or it exists or it's pure determination of the fandom.

Kimbou

Jan 22, 2021
Yeah I can believe a remake has been under works alongside Engage, perhaps it was supposed to come first but maybe covid and/or other stuff threw a wrench on things and got delayed. Engage I believe is supposed to be an anniversary game so I think they'll rather have that one out sooner to at least somewhat coincide with the anniversary.

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
Fire Emblem Engage is done by IS without KT's involvement.

I wouldn't be surprised if FE18 (new remake) and FE19 (Engage) were conceptualized roughly at the same time with Engage releasing first for strategic reasons, maybe with some covid delays added to the mix.
Oh, I didn't know that, I thought there was still doubt whether Gust or another KT studio worked on it, but apparently now we know everything (i forgot that now the credits are available). Well, this makes me reconsider the existance of the remake as a whole.
At the same time, as an Atelier fan, this is good news, 'cause it means that Gust is working on something else besides Atelier Ryza 3

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Been hearing about a Geneology remake forever now. Hope it actually releases because it sounds like an interesting game.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
I have been waiting and screaming for a Genealogy remake forever, so help me if IS cancelled it...

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The first 3 FE remakes were all "modernized" while still keeping core of what the originals what they were in tact. Genealogy is just hard as those massive maps the game is known for are likely far too long for most people in 2023.
The massive connecting maps that pretty much make up Jugdral are one of the best things about FE4. They better not change it!

Ganondolf

Jan 5, 2018
There has been rumours of the games being in development for ages, one being a remake. The only thing we don't know is why engage was ready before the remake.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
The first 3 FE remakes were all "modernized" while still keeping core of what the originals what they were in tact. Genealogy is just hard as those massive maps the game is known for are likely far too long for most people in 2023.
The massive connecting maps that pretty much make up Jugdral are one of the best things about FE4. They better not change it!
I too love the giant maps. At the end of the day, they are really just normal FE maps put together, but having each map be a different region of the continent was pretty cool!

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like this is a prime 1 tier rumour at this point that you hear it so often without any evidence that you start to question whether it really exists or not

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
God knows that Echoes needed a lot more of modern Fire Emblem... Those maps, blergh.

Gameflow

Apr 14, 2022
Interesting- could it be because of the dlc? But of course would also be curious about the remake rumours. Basically missed out all classic Fire Emblem games. I am one of those who started playing Radiant Dawn(which didnt hook me interestingly enough) and then fell in love with the series with Awakening :)