• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
The source right now seems to be Tomm Hulett from Wayforward who I'd have to assume knew him personally:

Some will remember him for composing the original Sly Cooper and Crash Nitro Kart, as well as Tomba 2 and Fantavision as the tweet above says.

He did some amazing pieces and the beat/percussion was absolutely stellar, like this track from Sly:

I was actually reminded of him today when the Mark Mothersbaugh, who helped compose the Crash and Jak series, is composing Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

RIP Ashif. :(

Wrestleman

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I've seen someone else who would know's personal Facebook post that seems to corroborate it.

Ashif had been having a real rough time of it off and on for years, from what I understand. The last year or so he had seemed to be doing better, and had become more active on Twitter. He seemed taken aback by how much people liked his music, but seemed to be coming around to it. RIP

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
It's tragic, CNK was my favorite post-Naughty Dog Crash soundtrack. Rest in Peace.

I was actually reminded of him today when the Mark Mothersbaugh, who helped compose the Crash and Jak series, is composing Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

minor nitpick, but Josh Mancell did the Crash/Jak soundtracks himself, as far as I'm aware Mark didn't do anything

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
It's tragic, CNK was my favorite post-Naughty Dog Crash soundtrack. Rest in Peace.

minor nitpick, but Josh Mancell did the Crash/Jak soundtracks himself, as far as I'm aware Mark didn't do anything
Why was he commonly credited for those games then? He worked on Rugrats which definitely has a similar vibe at times (with the xylophone usage).

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
No way! I just watched an interview with him a few months ago. Hope this isn't true.

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
Why was he commonly credited for those games then? He worked on Rugrats which definitely has a similar vibe at times (with the xylophone usage).

He's essentially credited because Josh worked at his production company Mutato Muzika and he was Josh's boss. But Josh Mancell composed Crash and Jak entirely.

yeah basically this ☝️

Don't feel bad though you're not the only one to fall into this trap of mis-crediting it to Mark, apparently it happens to Josh a lot

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
This might be true. Here's the interview I watched, the comments seem to corroborate this:

Rest in peace. His soundtracks for both CNK and Sly were the soundtracks for a lot of peoples' childhoods, and for good reason.

Last edited:

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Man..Sly 1's soundtrack was amazing and I had no idea he worked on it. That game series was a huge part of my childhood. I take it he only worked on sly 1?

Rest in Peace.