• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It depends on the geographical setting. Vikings didn't really build any large urban centres. Getting estimates for population numbers of settlements in Norway/Sweden/Denmark is surprisingly difficult. Hedeby is often cited as their largest settlement in Northern Europe, with a population of ~1,000 people (it is in current-day Germany, but was contemporaneously Danish).

If they start including Britain and Ireland, York (the capital of Danelaw, the name for the part of now-England that was Viking-ruled) is estimated to have had a population of around 8,000. Viking-era Dublin had maybe 4,000. There don't appear to be reliable larger numbers.

Those numbers will seem very low compared to, say, Athens during the time of Odyssey (population ~140,000 before the plague) or Alexandria during Origins (maybe 300,000, but possibly more). However, the low numbers would give Ubisoft a chance to more accurately depict the scale of those settlements.

As an irishman I would love Dyflin/Dublin to be in the game.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Have you tried the Discover tour in Origins? The world is anything but boring. The amount of historical detail they include is mind boggling.

I can agree the amount of history they implement is impressive. Gameplay wise I really dislike the way this series is going. Comparing it to BotW is a joke in my opinion.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even see how Nioh and a hypothetical Japanese AC game would have any crossover aside from being set in the same country. COMPLETELY different frameworks.

You're forgetting Ghost of Tsushima which does look like it may fill that gap. Additionally Sekiro, though that's more character action.

They definitely waited too long for it to feel special, they should have pulled the trigger on Japan sooner.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
By fix it I mean making leveling work so that you can critical-path the game without being badly under leveled, get rid of choice in the story, make assassinations with the hidden blade a one hit kill regardless of level, bring back social stealth, bring back black box assassination missions, and bring back some personality for your assassination targets (including the white room soliloquies).

Origins had almost all of that (apart from social stealth, which the series abandoned with AC3). It's only Odyssey that dropped the ball.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Welp, Better Luck Next Time to my FantasyCritic, grazie GameStop Italia for killing my hopes this early

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
After playing and loving the hell out of Odyssey, I'm really looking forward to this being one of the first games I'll play on next gen.

Briar36

Nov 27, 2017
Manhattan
This feels ill-timed after God of War. They really can't just make the feudal Japan AC game everyone wants, can they?

It's s all I've ever wanted with this series. I love these games, but Feudal Japan would be ideal. Only solace is that the longer it takes, the better it will be. Like if I loved Byzantine Constantinople, I'd be kind of sad that that game is done, and won't be a setting going forward with all the new graphical improvements and world expansion since then.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
These games are not designed with you beating them just by playing the main path or even 100% the game. That is not inherently a flaw and people ITT should stop essentially approaching them a second if isn't while simultaneously presenting alternatives that would result in a game full of conflicting design choices.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
they have openly said they dont want to. Which baffles me, like, they chose Revelations and the 13 colonies over Feudal Japan? why?!?

thank god
As much as Ubisoft open worlds games have fuck tons of flaws. I guarantee you that ghost of Tsuchima won't go for historical visual accuracy as far as architecture goes and npc simulation and overall scale of the project

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
If they made a full fledged Assassin's Creed with a Japan setting I bet it would sell better than any other game in the franchise. There are a ton of people interested in Japanese culture who probably who aren't apart of the normal audience for these games. I bet they'd reach a lot of these people and more with a Japanese setting. Myself included.

THE_W1TCHER

Oct 28, 2017
My problem with origins and odyssey was their quest design. The world is filled with camps and strongholds and most of the quests are go to this camp and kill/retrieve/save. If you replay AC2 and BH you see they have more elaborate mission designs and you do some cool set pieces in them. A mix of the two approaches would be best.

Another thing is the combat system. Odyssey's combat system is ok for like 30h then you've unlocked most of the skill moves and for the rest of the 40-50 hours you do same moves till a bar fills and do a special move, each encounter. The thing becomes very boring. In my opinion what they can do is look to another ubi Montreal game and copy for honor. Have fodder enemies that can be killed in 1 or 2 moves. Their main purpose would be guarding and breaking your stealth. Then have these special captains/commanders. Have 30-40 fightung archetypes for these. Instead of the floaty and boring combat, have more one on one gritty combat with sword clashesh, parries and diffrent combos.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
I actually liked Origins more than Odyssey for the most part. The world was simply better crafted even though Odysseys was pretty enormous.

I'm also not a fan that Odyssey really went down the "all mythological gods were real" rabbit hole, excepting that the "gods" were in fact Isu and the beasts were Isu hybrids. Sure it mixes things up, but it really fives AC more of an identity crisis in terms of standing out as something that at least was a bit more grounded in the actual past even with the occasional Sci-fi intrusion. Same with the MCs being "demigods." Origins at least left that squarely in DLC.

This is definitely going to follow the Odyssey mold, but I sure hope the world is better crafted. Odyssey felt a bit too copy/pastey in comparison to Origins. I hope Ragnarok is a notable step up from both Odyssey and Origins.

Kay

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hope they improve character progression in this one. I enjoyed leveling up in Odyssey but it felt like you peaked about 20% through the game and cake-walked to the end.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Hope they improve character progression in this one. I enjoyed leveling up in Odyssey but it felt like you peaked about 20% through the game and cake-walked to the end.
I hope so too but then you get the people who critical path the game moaning they have to level up to do story missions.

Ubi can't win.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I guess this will be the first time when I will not be buying Assassin's Creed-game. If the size of overworld is anything close to Odyssey, then blah. I wish they'd go for setting with small overworld and more populated areas and much more interesting areas. Origins and Odyssey might be pretty to look at but worlds are absolutely boring to traverse, having absolutely nothing of interest 85% of the time.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I got Origins free with a microphone. I got Odyssey free with Project Stream. Can't wait to see how I'll get this one for free.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It's interesting that of all the new IP's introduced last gen this is arguably the most successful considering the sheer number of titles released in the series and consistent sales. Who would have picked this in 2007 after the first title launched? Even with some serious stumbles Ubisoft have done a great job keeping the series popular. I guess Gears and especially Uncharted remain pretty successful, but Ass Creed has released twice as many games as either of those series!

Cincaid

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I'm a huge AC fan and even bought some of the titles again on my new Xbox One X I got the other day. And while I enjoyed both Origins and Odyssey, I do miss the older styled games set in huge iconic cities. Best of both worlds would be if Ubisoft split the franchise between studios, where one could focus on one type, and the other studio focus on the other.

iamsirjoshua

Oct 28, 2017
Comparing it to BotW is a joke in my opinion.

Agreed. I put a combined 300 hours or so into Origins and Odyssey. I got about 4-5 hours into BOTW before putting it down because I just couldn't get into it. That's just to say there are different strokes for different folks and all that.

Really excited for this setting - hoping the year off for the franchise gave them some time to refine the core gameplay. I expect these games to be fairly similar to Origins/Odyssey, but I certainly wouldn't mind some of the aspects from the older games that others have mentioned making their way back. I also imagine they'll be pretty graphically stunning on the new consoles - I was blown away by Black Flag on PS4 in 2013, after playing it on PS3 (they had a nice upgrade program for $10 or so).

Hoping the reveal is soon, Ubisoft could use a win after a somewhat disappointing year, and with any luck their flagship franchise will do just that.

Oct 28, 2017
I began playing Origins recently and the map is just unbelievably huge. I understand the reasoning behind it because of the setting, but it does get a bit tiresome just thinking of all the shit that you need to do, and how single locations won't feel special because you'll rarely spend much time there.

Still, Origins is a special game because it really captures the idea of being in an ancient place, with a history of its own. Its set 2000 years before our own time, and shows that there's at least another 2000 years of a world existing behind the setting. Its really good at that.

A more contained game would be nice though. Unity could have been good, but we all know how that turned out. Nice to have so many explorable interiors in it.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
What would the big cities be in this setting?
A leak said London.
Anglo Saxon fuckin London, so this boring trash:
original-68d5b1a5a49282e171816326f8523e51.jpg

huge downgrade from other AC settings. Its going to feel again like shitty AC3.

Im a huge Odyssey and Origins fan, and every leak that appears of this game, im even more out.
I will return when they get to actual civilizations or great architecture again. Fuck the Vikings.

Also, Skelige would have been the worst part of the Witcher 3 if it wasnt by the great storytelling there, fun sidequests and me giving a damn about the old book characters as a book reader.
But nothing bores me more setting wise than vikings or vikings like.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
I started Odyssey 2 weeks ago and really just forcing myself to get through it. I can't put my finger on it but just not enjoying it. I have loved the series and played all except for part 1 and Rogue

i think Odyssey is too big.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
As much as Ubisoft open worlds games have fuck tons of flaws. I guarantee you that ghost of Tsuchima won't go for historical visual accuracy as far as architecture goes and npc simulation and overall scale of the project
you are correct. And in all honesty, that is my favorite part of AC's games nowadays, it's downright inspiring how accurate they are. But their checklist game design is always a shame. Hope they change it or make it less monotone
I started Odyssey 2 weeks ago and really just forcing myself to get through it. I can't put my finger on it but just not enjoying it. I have loved the series and played all except for part 1 and Rogue

i think Odyssey is too big.
That's a shame, maybe it's burnout? Odyssey is by far the best in the series imo, and I don't say that lightly because AC2 is one of my favorite games of all time

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
They just really need to expand on a few things and I think they will be golden. I'm like 20 hours into odyssey and my only suggestions are smaller world, better characters and side missions. I am enjoying the game but it feels...shallow?

My god its like they tried really hard to emulate witcher 3(even the music lmao) and didn't put half the effort into their characters and quests. If they nail those two things I think they will be in a good place. Kassandra is great I will give them that.

I'll check this one out a year later with the GOTY version most likely and I'm sure it will be fun regardless. Formula just needs some tweaks.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Your tone makes it seem like ACO is some middling game. It was received very well. What Witcher 3 does well, like story and writing, it does amazing, but it's only a decent game to actually play. ACO has meaningfully different builds and fun combat comparatively speaking. You can invest all the points you want into signs and potions in W3, but at the end of the day your going to be doing the same basic sword slashes throughout. Design wise, they both have overstuffed overworlds, but great writing doesnt erase the fact that 85% of the quests in Witcher, (and AC to a smaller extent) are travel to spot > follow detective vision trail > kill or spare thing. Odyssey has a level of traversal freedom/options and the benefit of a more fantastical world design that makes how missions play out much much more interesting.

I'm not arguing which is the better game, just that your incredulous reaction that someone might find Odyssey a more fun/better game than W3, is ridiculous.
Facts. I hated the actual quest design of TW3. So much detective vision.